NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Unknown Participant

Re: NESCAC

Post by Unknown Participant »

Chipzhoo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:15 pm
Great take - and I join you in admitting to a wait and see posture.
But we had two, top-10 matchups last night.
One team clearly got up for the moment, and the other did not.
Tufts convincingly proved they're the favorite in the league.
And two games in - Bowdoin looks a lot closer to catching them than Midd - and we'll find out soon
[/quote]

Who was the last NESCAC team to beat Tufts?
[/quote]

Midd, 2022
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Middlebury in 2022, 21-14

Prior to that, Wes in 2019 regular season and Amherst in 2019 NCAA
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:22 pm Middlebury in 2022, 21-14

Last year was the first year that they had an undefeated regular season. Most years, they drop at least 1 game in the NESCAC which turns out to be blessing because they usually lose when they are complacent and they turn up it up after. I think we saw that in the championship game last year, which in accounts got away from them in Q1. Very difficult to win against top teams when you get behind by 6. Anyways, still a long season and the Jumbos last night demonstrated that they will be fine this year and compete with the best of them. Bring on RIT.
Unknown Participant

The12lov3 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:00 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:22 pm Middlebury in 2022, 21-14

Last year was the first year that they had an undefeated regular season. Most years, they drop at least 1 game in the NESCAC which turns out to be blessing because they usually lose when they are complacent and they turn up it up after. I think we saw that in the championship game last year, which in accounts got away from them in Q1. Very difficult to win against top teams when you get behind by 6. Anyways, still a long season and the Jumbos last night demonstrated that they will be fine this year and compete with the best of them. Bring on RIT.
I think 21 was undefeated until RIT in semis.That was the weird Covid year w/about 8 games including Dartmouth.
Last edited by Unknown Participant on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wavylax2655

Post by wavylax2655 »

HighBouncersGo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:19 am
SteelEngine88 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:40 pm Early Lines for Next Weekend and Picks

PICKS:
Williams -10.5 (3 units) This Bates team is actually so chips. Hopefully the weather isn't so bad so the lewiston boys can still catch the tail end of the darty when this game (should) hit running time.

Midd +1.5 (1 unit) Sprinkling some coin on this game only because I want to have a team to root for. Think it will probably be a one goal game in which the spread is too much. Who knows though, I heard a few Midd kids are deciding whether or not to rip the alps for a week for spring break.

Tufts -6.5 (nuclear missle whale play) Everyone wants Tufts to be bad but they aren't (unfortunately, I want them to be bad too) but I will put the house on them covering. Buddy should have updated the lines based on last nights games.

Hamilton +3.5 (3 units) Think this is 1 of the 2 interesting games of the day. The two teams have had close games in past with Amh taking past tilts. Conts have put up 20+ vs. two bottom-feeder teams so will be good to see them vs. sober defenses. Not sure if this Mammos offense is legit without Krummenacher at the helm but will be a good tilt.

Conn -3.5 (1 unit) 0 analysis here. Conn will win.
I think most of these lines will be spot on but the two games of the weekend will be Midd @ Bowdoin and Hamilton @ Amherst.

Midd @ Bowdoin
- after the Midd's brutal second half against RPI, I think they will come out firing, but I don't think they will pull out the W in this game. Even if they sit in their zone and run their 9.5 man ride, I think Bowdoin has the shooters and athletes to counter both of these. On top of this, Barnard should dust whoever Midd throws out to the dot, giving more possessions to Byrne & Co. Expecting Goorno to dominate all over the field and Fitz and the other shooters to feast on Kern, who only made 1 save in the fourth quarter against RPI

Hamilton @ Amherst
- this game has the potential to be the closest game of the weekend. If we look at specialty positions, FO leans heavily toward the Jeffs while goaltending favors the Conts. I like the Amherst rope unit more and think their defense is more sound and experienced after previous NESCAC and NCAA runs. However, this Mammoth offense looked out of sorts the whole Midd game and the first half of the Springfield game, so look for Woods to lean on Bennett and Gross to value each possession. On the flip side, Healy is turning into one of the best young attackmen in the 'Cac and he has a lethal off-ball player in Coyle and great outside shooters in Pearl and Heher. This could be a pick 'em, but I think Amherst wins this by a goal or two late
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

2-0 Midd @ 2-0 Bowdoin would have easily been the game to watch this weekend.
But with the Midd loss I think some of that focus shifts to Amherst with Hamilton's chance to start 3-0

Williams @ Bates - Bobcats look like they are going backwards. Williams by a good margin

Colby @ Conn - With a week to correct & get better, Conn wins their opener at home.

Hamilton @ Amherst - Say what you want about their wins, the confidence has been growing since last season. Hamilton with the upset

Midd @ Bowdoin - Brunswick has become a hard place to win again. Only lost once under the new coach (2023 v Tufts). Bowdoin to 3-0 in a shootout

Tufts @ Trinity - St. Patty's Day Parade in Hartford. Tufts goes off

Wesleyan @ Roanoke - Their recent loss to Dickinson says more about the opponent. Cards have no problem scoring goals and win this one

Midd @ Babson - Tricky one. Babson plays WNE on Sat. Both teams will reach fumes. Midd grinds one out here.
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

Wizard-Saga wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm A few thoughts on the Wednesday games before this weekend:
-Tufts: Wowzers. They are looking to continue their overall dominance. Not a 'bos fan, but it's hard to deny they seem to always find a way...except maybe against those gulls.

-Midd: Surprising result. I had them winning by 2, not losing. Although I'm sure other coaches will take notes for their future conference games. They have a huge matchup this weekend!

-Amherst: I tracked this score and was surprised it was so close for so long. Glad they pulled ahead in the end. I didn't see anyone else really comment about the game, but I suspect they will get better as they play together.

-Trinity: Others mentioned the rough EMO stat. I agree that should be better. Skidmore is 20th in USILA poll, so it's not like they're a Salve. The true stat that jumped out when reviewing games was saves (only 4). To lose by 1 with only 4 saves shows they probably should have won. That goalie had 19 saves vs. Bowdoin, so he proved he can play. I don't think any team can win with that stat. Agreed they will need a reset after a future loss to Tufts.

-Wes: Surprised they're playing teams like Salve. What's the point of scoring 30 on a team like that? Last year the thread would have called that classless....
Last thing on Skidmore, yes they are ranked but they have played a fairly weak schedule and as mentioned had to go to Double OT to beat Bates. I do not see them in the top half of the LL which at this point appears to be a dominant conference based on their recent performance. I do agree with your comment re: goal tending for Trinity. Hard to imagine stopping 19 against Bowdoin and then having the performance he did on Wednesday. As mentioned, the weather was horrific so seeing the ball must have been really hard. He appears to be very athletic and throws great outlet passes so I hope he bounces back on Saturday because he will be under seige against the 'Bos.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Well, Camels laid another egg. Surprisingly tight Williams-Bates coming down to the wire, Williams might have sleepwalked into this one after two very tight games and a long ride to Maine
Unknown Participant

So much for Williams and CC. Where are my CC homers especially?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Williams escapes by the hair on their udders, 15-14. Bates in much improved but not a showing that suggests Williams is a threat to contend in the league, if they ever were.
Unknown Participant

pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm Williams escapes by the hair on their udders, 15-14. Bates in much improved but not a showing that suggests Williams is a threat to contend in the league, if they ever were.
After Tufts, Bowdoin, Midd, what would your ranking be?
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:58 pm So much for Williams and CC. Where are my CC homers especially?
+1
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

For all the talk.......

Attachments
artworks-000499200189-91uie4-t500x500.jpg
artworks-000499200189-91uie4-t500x500.jpg (34.88 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Laxdad457

Post by Laxdad457 »

Is Colby back???
Unknown Participant

Laxdad457 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:13 pm Is Colby back???
At least maybe out of the basement. I don't think Colby has won a Nescac game in the last 4 seasons except v Bates (I could be wrong, not going to look). That is a huge win esp. as some of our esteemed fellow posters had CC ranked pretty high.
Wizard-Saga

Post by Wizard-Saga »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:30 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm Williams escapes by the hair on their udders, 15-14. Bates in much improved but not a showing that suggests Williams is a threat to contend in the league, if they ever were.
After Tufts, Bowdoin, Midd, what would your ranking be?
Tufts
Bowdoin
Midd
Amherst

Everyone else--this will be a crazy rest of the season for 5-11
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I’d agree with that, impressive margin for Amherst vs Hamilton. Then Williams and Wes, order TBD, then Hamilton, Colby, Trinity, Conn and Bates but that last bunch is just a jumble this early
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

NNELax wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:04 pm For all the talk.......

Anyone see the Midd-Bowdoin game? What happened? Or after two straight losses we now know Midd is not an elite team?
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Boyden at a PPG for UVA and Kohn is a huge piece of Cuse's success so far..... where's lax dad @???
laxguy12389

Post by laxguy12389 »

[/quote]

Anyone see the Midd-Bowdoin game? What happened? Or after two straight losses we now know Midd is not an elite team?
[/quote]

Bowdoin was dominant in all three phases. Physical defense, strong transition and controlling offense. Midd showed flashes at times, but Bowdoin controlled the pace of play and physicality. Was very impressed with this Polar Bear performance - we'll see if they can keep it going.

Fortunately for Midd, they have another opportunity against a strong Babson team to right the ship tomorrow and erase the memories from their past two games. If they don't pull one out tomorrow, it's going to be a long trip back to northern VT with a serious reset needed.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”