NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Bilo

Re: NESCAC

Post by Bilo »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:47 pm Way to much iso from Midd, missed the first half, not sure how they scored 8 there playing like this, having an attack draw a shortie for the whole game is crazy
Only caught the second half, but this was wild to watch in real time. So curious to watch the Middlebury/Bowdoin game to see if it continues. How long will the Middlebury offensive coordinator voluntarily play man down? And why in the world is he doing it? Surreal.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Turnandrake! wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:45 pm Yup. Tufts to Final only to lose to SU by 40 agian. Go Jumbos!
BTW, turnandfakecake, you're new to the forum, welcome! Looking forward to your prescient insights on lax brother!!
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Bilo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:50 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:47 pm Way to much iso from Midd, missed the first half, not sure how they scored 8 there playing like this, having an attack draw a shortie for the whole game is crazy
Only caught the second half, but this was wild to watch in real time. So curious to watch the Middlebury/Bowdoin game to see if it continues. How long will the Middlebury offensive coordinator voluntarily play man down? And why in the world is he doing it? Surreal.
Are they top 10 caliber at this point?
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

Big Day for the LL, watched a good bit of the Midd RPI game and Midd has to be kicking themselves. Up 3 going into the last quarter and pretty much gave this one away. They will learn and maybe an early season loss is not the worst thing in the world. I do agree with pcolax in that their attack needs to improve, just my opinion but they appear to be a bit to passive and they need to turn up the heat a bit.

Along the same lines turned to Trinity Skidmore as the Tufts game was clearly over by the half. Talk about a team that shoots themselves in the foot. There is no way that Trinity ever should have lost that game. And nothing against Skidmore, but they are not a top 20 team (they needed double OT to beat Bates). Trinity outshot Skidmore 52-29, had a 21-10 edge at the dot, more GB's (which you would figure given fo dominance), etc etc. They have talented kids up and down the line-up but they are poorly coached and lack discipline. They take really dumb penalties and their man-up continues to be laughable. They are 1-10 this year and I believe the announcer said last year they were 14 or 15% on emo. That is ridiculous.

Not much more to say about Tufts, for those that burried them, you might want to reconsider, yes just one game but they looked awesome. Their attack is relelentless when it comes to riding their Defense handles the ball like middies and the pressure they put on is endless. Next Saturday against RIT might be the best game on the schedule DI or D3.
smoova

Post by smoova »

choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:37 am
Bilo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:50 pm
Are they top 10 caliber at this point?
Probably not ... RPI was ranked #8 going into the game and won by 2 ... RPI beat York by a goal and York is ranked #10. Sounds like RPI figured out how to frustrate the Panther offense by putting poles on two middies. Coaches are probably grateful this happened in early March instead of early May so they have time to make adjustments.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

SaltCounty wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:06 pm Did Tufts reload ???
They certainly showed a lot last night. Admittedly, I, like most, had a wait and see posture, but they were completely dominant last night. While they certainly handled Conn last weekend, that was a much better Tufts team on the field last night. Perhaps Tufts kept a few things in their pocket on Saturday for last nights game, but they were definitely fully in sync for CNU. A lot has been said on this forum about Tufts kids growing in the program, from non-starters sophomore year to AAs their junior and senior years, and last night showed how that compares to a team like CNU that simply tries to build a top team by bringing in parts through transfers. Tufts proved this caution skeptic wrong last night.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:43 am
They certainly showed a lot last night. Admittedly, I, like most, had a wait and see posture, but they were completely dominant last night. While they certainly handled Conn last weekend, that was a much better Tufts team on the field last night. Perhaps Tufts kept a few things in their pocket on Saturday for last nights game, but they were definitely fully in sync for CNU. A lot has been said on this forum about Tufts kids growing in the program, from non-starters sophomore year to AAs their junior and senior years, and last night showed how that compares to a team like CNU that simply tries to build a top team by bringing in parts through transfers. Tufts proved this caution skeptic wrong last night.
That's Berkman's secret too. Names you didn't hear/barely heard for three years have a POY type season as seniors. Tufts is looking strong through two games. Lots of tests ahead.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:43 am
Great take - and I join you in admitting to a wait and see posture.
But we had two, top-10 matchups last night.
One team clearly got up for the moment, and the other did not.
Tufts convincingly proved they're the favorite in the league.
And two games in - Bowdoin looks a lot closer to catching them than Midd - and we'll find out soon
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

WoodStick wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:17 am Big Day for the LL, watched a good bit of the Midd RPI game and Midd has to be kicking themselves. Up 3 going into the last quarter and pretty much gave this one away. They will learn and maybe an early season loss is not the worst thing in the world. I do agree with pcolax in that their attack needs to improve, just my opinion but they appear to be a bit to passive and they need to turn up the heat a bit.

Along the same lines turned to Trinity Skidmore as the Tufts game was clearly over by the half. Talk about a team that shoots themselves in the foot. There is no way that Trinity ever should have lost that game. And nothing against Skidmore, but they are not a top 20 team (they needed double OT to beat Bates). Trinity outshot Skidmore 52-29, had a 21-10 edge at the dot, more GB's (which you would figure given fo dominance), etc etc. They have talented kids up and down the line-up but they are poorly coached and lack discipline. They take really dumb penalties and their man-up continues to be laughable. They are 1-10 this year and I believe the announcer said last year they were 14 or 15% on emo. That is ridiculous.

Not much more to say about Tufts, for those that burried them, you might want to reconsider, yes just one game but they looked awesome. Their attack is relelentless when it comes to riding their Defense handles the ball like middies and the pressure they put on is endless. Next Saturday against RIT might be the best game on the schedule DI or D3.
Tufts looked like a bunch of Stallions out there. All I could think about was how every player on the field could move and handle the ball like midfielders, they look like a full team of midfielders. They have numbers almost every time they get the ball back and clear. I think some of the passes and decisions they make are a little wild, but they are able to recover from mistakes with their athleticism. They will be a hard team to slow down.
CradleKing

Post by CradleKing »

WoodStick wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:17 am Big Day for the LL, watched a good bit of the Midd RPI game and Midd has to be kicking themselves. Up 3 going into the last quarter and pretty much gave this one away. They will learn and maybe an early season loss is not the worst thing in the world. I do agree with pcolax in that their attack needs to improve, just my opinion but they appear to be a bit to passive and they need to turn up the heat a bit.

Spot on with the analysis Woodstick. I watched the Trinity/Skidmore game at the coop. Yuck. All preseason this forum was drooling over Trinity and spinning tales of the havoc they were gonna reek in 2024. Only thing these "D1 Transfers" have mucked since arriving on campus is a couple warm seltzers at the WLAX mixer. This isn't going to work in the cac'. Zero grit out of this team. Pretty sure I saw their bench calling ubers to Mohegan Sun during halftime.

Time to give this Skidmore team some credit: Canada's Charlie McFadden might just be grittier then the entire Bantam roster. Younger brother Marty McFadden has been a problem at LSM. Opposing midfielders have to worry about loosing their girlfriend and the rock while dodging the Edmonton's Electric Factory. I do think this team is fringe top 20.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

CradleKing wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:39 am

Spot on with the analysis Woodstick. I watched the Trinity/Skidmore game at the coop. Yuck. All preseason this forum was drooling over Trinity and spinning tales of the havoc they were gonna reek in 2024. Only thing these "D1 Transfers" have mucked since arriving on campus is a couple warm seltzers at the WLAX mixer. This isn't going to work in the cac'. Zero grit out of this team. Pretty sure I saw their bench calling ubers to Mohegan Sun during halftime.

Time to give this Skidmore team some credit: Canada's Charlie McFadden might just be grittier then the entire Bantam roster. Younger brother Marty McFadden has been a problem at LSM. Opposing midfielders have to worry about loosing their girlfriend and the rock while dodging the Edmonton's Electric Factory. I do think this team is fringe top 20.
I agree with Woodstick on Skidmore - Fringe Top-20.
Credit to them for letting Trinity beat themselves
They'll surely need a reset after hosting Tufts this weekend
HighBouncersGo

Post by HighBouncersGo »

SteelEngine88 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:40 pm Early Lines for Next Weekend and Picks
I see the 'cac forum has started to take a liking to placing lines on games. not going to say I started it but..
Another good slate of games with some marquee matchups. It is nice to see the schedule being switched around as it has been same for past 3 years.

PICKS:
Williams -10.5 (3 units) This Bates team is actually so chips. Hopefully the weather isn't so bad so the lewiston boys can still catch the tail end of the darty when this game (should) hit running time.

Midd +1.5 (1 unit) Sprinkling some coin on this game only because I want to have a team to root for. Think it will probably be a one goal game in which the spread is too much. Who knows though, I heard a few Midd kids are deciding whether or not to rip the alps for a week for spring break.

Tufts -6.5 (nuclear missle whale play) Everyone wants Tufts to be bad but they aren't (unfortunately, I want them to be bad too) but I will put the house on them covering. Buddy should have updated the lines based on last nights games.

Hamilton +3.5 (3 units) Think this is 1 of the 2 interesting games of the day. The two teams have had close games in past with Amh taking past tilts. Conts have put up 20+ vs. two bottom-feeder teams so will be good to see them vs. sober defenses. Not sure if this Mammos offense is legit without Krummenacher at the helm but will be a good tilt.

Conn -3.5 (1 unit) 0 analysis here. Conn will win.
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

Trinity played so out of control it is hard to say how good Skidmore is or isn't. They did play within themselves and made plays when they had to considering how few possessions they had. Trinity goalie had a very difficult night, weather appeared to be brutal so will give him the benefit of the doubt but he definitely was not seeing it well.
Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Impressed that the Ephs played such a close game against a good Union team looking at the possession discrepancy. If they can clean up F/O and wings, they can be very dangerous.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

WoodStick wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:13 pm

Trinity played so out of control it is hard to say how good Skidmore is or isn't. They did play within themselves and made plays when they had to considering how few possessions they had. Trinity goalie had a very difficult night, weather appeared to be brutal so will give him the benefit of the doubt but he definitely was not seeing it well.
Goalie room will be just fine....
Wizard-Saga

Post by Wizard-Saga »

A few thoughts on the Wednesday games before this weekend:
-Tufts: Wowzers. They are looking to continue their overall dominance. Not a 'bos fan, but it's hard to deny they seem to always find a way...except maybe against those gulls.

-Midd: Surprising result. I had them winning by 2, not losing. Although I'm sure other coaches will take notes for their future conference games. They have a huge matchup this weekend!

-Amherst: I tracked this score and was surprised it was so close for so long. Glad they pulled ahead in the end. I didn't see anyone else really comment about the game, but I suspect they will get better as they play together.

-Trinity: Others mentioned the rough EMO stat. I agree that should be better. Skidmore is 20th in USILA poll, so it's not like they're a Salve. The true stat that jumped out when reviewing games was saves (only 4). To lose by 1 with only 4 saves shows they probably should have won. That goalie had 19 saves vs. Bowdoin, so he proved he can play. I don't think any team can win with that stat. Agreed they will need a reset after a future loss to Tufts.

-Wes: Surprised they're playing teams like Salve. What's the point of scoring 30 on a team like that? Last year the thread would have called that classless....
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Wizard-Saga wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm A few thoughts on the Wednesday games before this weekend:
-Tufts: Wowzers. They are looking to continue their overall dominance. Not a 'bos fan, but it's hard to deny they seem to always find a way...except maybe against those gulls.

-Midd: Surprising result. I had them winning by 2, not losing. Although I'm sure other coaches will take notes for their future conference games. They have a huge matchup this weekend!

-Amherst: I tracked this score and was surprised it was so close for so long. Glad they pulled ahead in the end. I didn't see anyone else really comment about the game, but I suspect they will get better as they play together.

-Trinity: Others mentioned the rough EMO stat. I agree that should be better. Skidmore is 20th in USILA poll, so it's not like they're a Salve. The true stat that jumped out when reviewing games was saves (only 4). To lose by 1 with only 4 saves shows they probably should have won. That goalie had 19 saves vs. Bowdoin, so he proved he can play. I don't think any team can win with that stat. Agreed they will need a reset after a future loss to Tufts.

-Wes: Surprised they're playing teams like Salve. What's the point of scoring 30 on a team like that? Last year the thread would have called that classless....
I hear you on the Wes thing, but what are they supposed to do, assuming that they have cleared the benches. Other than just playing, the only option would be to hold the ball, run the shot clock down and dump the ball, but I think that is more demeaning to the other team than just scoring. Of course, they could employ the old youth lacrosse blowout tactic and make everybody play with their off hand. :?
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Wizard-Saga wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm A few thoughts on the Wednesday games before this weekend:

For the record,Tufts is 3-3 all time v Gulls, w/the last win in 2022.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:42 pm

For the record,Tufts is 3-3 all time v Gulls, w/the last win in 2022.
Unfortunately all three of the those loses were in the title game. Berkman is already studying the tape from last night to prepare.
Chipzhoo

Post by Chipzhoo »

[/quote]

Great take - and I join you in admitting to a wait and see posture.
But we had two, top-10 matchups last night.
One team clearly got up for the moment, and the other did not.
Tufts convincingly proved they're the favorite in the league.
And two games in - Bowdoin looks a lot closer to catching them than Midd - and we'll find out soon
[/quote]

Who was the last NESCAC team to beat Tufts?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”