Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Big Dog

Re: Coaching Carousel Post-2019 Season

Post by Big Dog »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:20 pm
Big Dog wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 am
HooDat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 am the desire to be a "non-Ivy Ivy" is a fools game. I think that instinct has and does threaten a lot of very good colleges.
What exactly does this mean? Hopkins is already ranked higher than several Ivies. Hopkins has academic programs ranked with Harvard.

In reality, Hopkins' biggest problem for is it location: it's the least attractive urban city of all the top 20 Unis. Least attractive to students and to trailing spouses (for faculty recruitment). For example, Columbia and NYU gets thousands of apps just bcos of the bright lights of Manhattan. Even GW, with a large contingent of PT/adjunct faculty, gets mega apps from the Poli Sci wannabes bcos of its connection to DC. Boston, Philly, Chicago, LA, & SF are all much more attractive as placse to live. From a social standpoint, you have to want to be in Bawlamer, or at least put up with it for period of time.

(Sure, New Haven is not an exactly an oasis, but its tiny so much easier for Y to get changes thru the City.)
Boy, you sure must be a Baltimore hater Big Dog.
Have you actually visited Hopkins and its environs in the spring, Roland Park, Guilford, Charles Village, Hamden?

I quite agree that, for city schools, Cambridge is a great environment, so is Stanford's campus (though not actually SF), Georgetown's, etc. But Penn's? Yale's? Brown's? For my $, I sure wouldn't prefer Columbia's.

But then I like Dartmouth's and Princeton's and UVA's smaller town feels. Each to his own.

Of course, we need to focus on men's lacrosse...

BTW, is Loyola challenged by its location in Baltimore?
Don't hate on Bawlamer at all, mdlax. Yes, been there in the spring, summer, fall, and winter. (alum with a great experience, but my kids refused to apply, and went Ivy instead). But you make my point as you ask about "spring". 8-10 weeks a year and its beautiful. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

I've been active doing college counseling on the west coast, and no one, I mean no one, says, 'I'd like to go to college in Maryland...what colleges should I look at in Baltimore?' In contrast, plenty of top kids want to be in Manhattan, DC, Chicago, LA, SF, even Philly & Morningside Heights.....Perception is ~90% of reality.

btw: Loyola is a fine college at lax program, but not even close to the same academic league as Hopkins, which attracts the same kids as other tippy top Unis. (Loyola has a 75% admit rate, for example).

But this is a digression from lax to Ivy competitiveness.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Big Dog wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:40 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:20 pm
Big Dog wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 am
HooDat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 am the desire to be a "non-Ivy Ivy" is a fools game. I think that instinct has and does threaten a lot of very good colleges.
What exactly does this mean? Hopkins is already ranked higher than several Ivies. Hopkins has academic programs ranked with Harvard.

In reality, Hopkins' biggest problem for is it location: it's the least attractive urban city of all the top 20 Unis. Least attractive to students and to trailing spouses (for faculty recruitment). For example, Columbia and NYU gets thousands of apps just bcos of the bright lights of Manhattan. Even GW, with a large contingent of PT/adjunct faculty, gets mega apps from the Poli Sci wannabes bcos of its connection to DC. Boston, Philly, Chicago, LA, & SF are all much more attractive as placse to live. From a social standpoint, you have to want to be in Bawlamer, or at least put up with it for period of time.

(Sure, New Haven is not an exactly an oasis, but its tiny so much easier for Y to get changes thru the City.)
Boy, you sure must be a Baltimore hater Big Dog.
Have you actually visited Hopkins and its environs in the spring, Roland Park, Guilford, Charles Village, Hamden?

I quite agree that, for city schools, Cambridge is a great environment, so is Stanford's campus (though not actually SF), Georgetown's, etc. But Penn's? Yale's? Brown's? For my $, I sure wouldn't prefer Columbia's.

But then I like Dartmouth's and Princeton's and UVA's smaller town feels. Each to his own.

Of course, we need to focus on men's lacrosse...

BTW, is Loyola challenged by its location in Baltimore?
Don't hate on Bawlamer at all, mdlax. Yes, been there in the spring, summer, fall, and winter. (alum with a great experience, but my kids refused to apply, and went Ivy instead). But you make my point as you ask about "spring". 8-10 weeks a year and its beautiful. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

I've been active doing college counseling on the west coast, and no one, I mean no one, says, 'I'd like to go to college in Maryland...what colleges should I look at in Baltimore?' In contrast, plenty of top kids want to be in Manhattan, DC, Chicago, LA, SF, even Philly & Morningside Heights.....Perception is ~90% of reality.

btw: Loyola is a fine college at lax program, but not even close to the same academic league as Hopkins, which attracts the same kids as other tippy top Unis. (Loyola has a 75% admit rate, for example).

But this is a digression from lax to Ivy competitiveness.
Hey, I turned down my dad's alma mater in Charlottesville to go north to Hanover, my son chose to go north to Cambridge, so I wasn't debating that we all make choices based on our various opportunities and interests. Some kids like to chart their own course.

By contrast, my buddy who is a son of a Hopkins professor, is a Hopkins alum both undergrad and med school, one of the top eye doctors/researchers in the world, Cleveland Clinic, had all 3 of his enormously bright kids choose Hopkins, two of whom played D3 sports as well as all crushed it academically, grad schools, etc.

Each to their own.

I guest lecture at the Carey School and Whiting School of Engineering and recently joined the advisory board of the Center for Leadership Education which reports to the Whiting dean but serves the full school. I'm the sole non-alum on the board. CLE, if you're not familiar with it, is making a very real impact on the #"s of STEM students who successfully go into industry rather than academia, Hopkins' traditional forte. We just finished a Hopkins wide (undergrad and grad) student business plan competition with 72 teams competing. Really impressive. One of the winning teams was led by a football player, already have a patent issued. Another by a sophomore who already has 8 apps in the Apple store. ETC.

So, that's brought me on campus for more than the lax games. Not the campus I remembered. Beautiful now. Kids are bright, and at least in the programs I'm exposed to, they're articulate, creative, and working hard on people skills, including the international students.

I do understand the point that Baltimore isn't a top destination for many kids, but it's also important to remember that Hopkins has one of the most recognized and respected brands in the world. International students don't have any issue with Baltimore.

Nor was I suggesting that Loyola's academics are on par with the Ivies or Hopkins (though good and getting better and better).

The question here is about building a successful lax program, not which schools compete best for bright students from California etc. You'd made a point that Hopkins' location was an issue in building the lax program, attracting the desired student-athletes.

For the lacrosse minded kid, Hopkins and Baltimore remain very attractive. Selecting the right ones is the harder task. IMO, going all-in on ER hurt the Hopkins program much more than it helped.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

When Loyola and Notre Dame College of Maryland eventually merge, the joined campus will be equal to any campus in America. Loyola is doing great btw.

But the real message is this: life ain't static. If you think what's hot today will always be hot, let me introduce you to Internet stocks in 2001 or mortgage backed securities in 2007, or frankly Baltimore's population in 1950 (nearly a million!). Also, for all the prostrating for various 'elite colleges', please note that many are in soon-to-be-bankrupt states such as California, NY, Illinois, CT. I'd be careful setting roots down in any of those states at this stage.

Baltimore is a decent contrarian bet right now because parts of it have reached urban wasteland category. The wasteland, though not contiguous to Hopkins or Loyola, suppress real estate prices, making college life more affordable than other cities.

With Bloomberg backing HOP, Hopkins medical facilities swallowing up all of East Baltimore, and Under Armour swallowing all of South Baltimore, I'd keep your eyes on Baltimore. Just need different leaders. (btw, Mary Bubala was a treasure and should be rehired...only Baltimoreans will get this).

And Baltimore's geographic location will always be ideal for the lacrosse universe.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jim Nagle out at Stony Brook, according to Chris J. of College Crosse:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 7554061313

- Navy
- Harvard
- Fairfield
- Stony Brook

More to come?
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Jim Nagle out at Stony Brook, according to Chris J. of College Crosse:
Ladies and gentleman, your 2019 America East Coach of the Year.......
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

The prodigal son returns? Sowell back to SBU??
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

One of those years, I guess.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Must be something else going on here? Why would the conference coach of the year get let go?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Never put your life in the hands of fickle college alumni.
Maybe Nagle wasn’t the azzzz kisssing type.
KOL1901

Post by KOL1901 »

AMC wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:50 pm Must be something else going on here? Why would the conference coach of the year get let go?
7 straight seasons without an America East Championship and 4 straight semifinal exits (2x to Vermont, 1x to UMBC, 1x to Albany) in one of easiest conferences in D1. Yes he was the AE coach of the year but the conference was terrible (40-62 this year collectively) so that's not saying much. Not only did they lose to UMBC this year in the Semi's but, they were embarrassed (down as many as 10 goals at home as the 1 seed!!)

The program is not moving in the right direction and needs a change. The women's program has won 7 straight AE championships under Spallina. Bring Sowell back.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

I dont know the reason behind SB's decision. SB ran into an UMBC team that was clicking at the end. They got smoked by PSU due to HUGE FO differential but they did score against them.
I like Sowell also. I also respectfully suggest that his heyday teams were highlighted by a lot of Canadians. Can he re-invent the pipeline? Remember this has been a no go since he was at Navy. Wishful thinking that he can get it done again is not a sound coaching hire practice. If that was the case, Navy would apologize to Meade and hire him back. Perfect coach for an institution.
SB is a good looking campus with plenty of good lacrosse players surrounding it. Need to have a creative recruiter to get more than just LI boys to go there though.
Harvard and SB really intrigue me as potentially good coaching locations.

GetItDone
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

getitdone wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:07 pm ... They got smoked by PSU due to HUGE FO differential but they did score against them.
Ummm, yes, they did score against PSU, but only after giving up the first 15 goals of the game. Then they went down 17-1, before getting three consolation goals well after the mid-way point of the 4th quarter.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

It doesn't say he was let go, it says they parted ways. Is it possible he resigned and is going to be announced as the next Head Coach at one of the open positions?
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

No, that is not possible.....
LandM

Post by LandM »

I always chuckle when people say - he was the COY - so what. Read Urban Meyer - about not winning your conference while being COY - those words bit him big time, probably created a few headaches, no pun intended;

As to SBU, last I knew there were 10 on the field - Crowley and McBride were great players. Crowley was a horse and I got tired just watching him. However, the two field generals who led the team quietly were Waldeck and Competillo (no I am not their dad). They were from LI; goalie, LI; fogo, CT, the d-men, NY and PA and rounding out the field besides Robbie Campbell were from NY. No disrespect to Canada but get over it already.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

getitdone wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:07 pm SB is a good looking campus
if this was twitter or facebook you would be banned for a week for posting misleading or incorrect information.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:54 pm Never put your life in the hands of fickle college alumni.
KOL1901 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:21 pm
AMC wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:50 pm Must be something else going on here? Why would the conference coach of the year get let go?
7 straight seasons without an America East Championship and 4 straight semifinal exits (2x to Vermont, 1x to UMBC, 1x to Albany) in one of easiest conferences in D1. Yes he was the AE coach of the year but the conference was terrible (40-62 this year collectively) so that's not saying much. Not only did they lose to UMBC this year in the Semi's but, they were embarrassed (down as many as 10 goals at home as the 1 seed!!)

The program is not moving in the right direction and needs a change. The women's program has won 7 straight AE championships under Spallina. Bring Sowell back.
^
^
|
|
|
|__________ Exhibit A :!:
KOL1901

Post by KOL1901 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:54 pm Never put your life in the hands of fickle college alumni.

^
^
|
|
|
Those are facts, not opinions
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

KOL1901 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm

^
^
|
|
|
Those are facts, not opinions
Or, also, after a decade of National Players of the Year, or near POYs - Fields, the Thompsons, Rooney, Crowley and others —- the well ran dry this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”