UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Kleizaster »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:45 am After today, Carolina plays the following:

Hofstra
Wagner
Stony Brook
High Point

Not one game improves your SOS. It does lead to some theoretically easy wins, I guess.

Compare that schedule with a Maryland or Hopkins schedule. What is Breschi doing?! This is head coach malpractice. The UNC lacrosse legacy of playing on Memorial Day is being challenged here, folks.

If the Heels lose today, they’ll play the next four games
(and 27 days) getting zero SOS tournament help, while ‘preparing’ for Army, Virginia, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Duke.
Ridiculous post. Nitpicking the schedule then blaming Breschi by calling it coaching malpractice is going too far. Just sounds like you hold a grudge. If you're going to call him out, make sure it's for valid reasons.

No program seeks out to play a tough OOC schedule when rebuilding with young players if they can avoid it, especially when you're in a conference like the ACC where half of your games already have built in cache. Weak years or not. You're making it sound like UNC has played all cupcakes so far. JHU, Princeton, Penn are all good teams. Taken together with what they have coming up later, it rounds out nicely.

SOS matters when you win those games. You can have the hardest schedule ever made and If you're not winning those games you're still not getting in the tournament. Scheduling is about balance. Sprinkle in easy wins with harder games. They have that. Having another Maryland game to get blitzed by 10 goals doesn't prepare them for conference play anymore than a stonybrook/highpoint combo where they can actually be competitive and win.
Finster

Post by Finster »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:08 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:45 am After today, Carolina plays the following:

Hofstra
Wagner
Stony Brook
High Point

Not one game improves your SOS. It does lead to some theoretically easy wins, I guess.

Compare that schedule with a Maryland or Hopkins schedule. What is Breschi doing?! This is head coach malpractice. The UNC lacrosse legacy of playing on Memorial Day is being challenged here, folks.

(and 27 days) getting zero SOS tournament help, while ‘preparing’ for Army, Virginia, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Duke.
Hofstra, Stony Brook and High Point are all goo teams. HPU Gave a Cuse team a good run for 3 quarters. SBU can play with anyone. If the get hot, UNC will have a tough game. Assumed ACC superiority didn't exactly work out this weekend.

Carolina used to have a far different standard. To me it looks like scheduling capitulation.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:34 am

Hofstra
Wagner
Stony Brook
High Point

Ridiculous post. Nitpicking the schedule then blaming Breschi by calling it coaching malpractice is going too far. Just sounds like you hold a grudge. If you're going to call him out, make sure it's for valid reasons.

No program seeks out to play a tough OOC schedule when rebuilding with young players if they can avoid it, especially when you're in a conference like the ACC where half of your games already have built in cache. Weak years or not. You're making it sound like UNC has played all cupcakes so far. JHU, Princeton, Penn are all good teams. Taken together with what they have coming up later, it rounds out nicely.

SOS matters when you win those games. You can have the hardest schedule ever made and If you're not winning those games you're still not getting in the tournament. Scheduling is about balance. Sprinkle in easy wins with harder games. They have that. Having another Maryland game to get blitzed by 10 goals doesn't prepare them for conference play anymore than a stonybrook/highpoint combo where they can actually be competitive and win.

Massive respect forJoe. Zero hate. But this schedule is suspect at the very least, harmful to their postseason chances.

Carolina used to play for keeps. You look around at others schedules, like Maryland UVA Hopkins Michigan, those guys don’t have schedules like this.

And the ‘young team’ thing to me just sounds like an excuse. McGovern, Tillman, Tyeryar, Krieg are seniors. Princeton, as young or younger, took the Heels to the woodshed.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Finster wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 am

Hofstra
Wagner
Stony Brook
High Point

Massive respect forJoe. Zero hate. But this schedule is suspect at the very least, harmful to their postseason chances.

Carolina used to play for keeps. You look around at others schedules, like Maryland UVA Hopkins Michigan, those guys don’t have schedules like this.

And the ‘young team’ thing to me just sounds like an excuse. McGovern, Tillman, Tyeryar, Krieg are seniors. Princeton, as young or younger, took the Heels to the woodshed.
what IS our take supposed to be, umm, from your take (s) ?

Could it possibly be that "malpractice" occurred in scheduling, some of the _______(fill in the blank with negative word) teams ?

...... nuanced and thinly veiled as your "take" may be, we find your comments to be no more, no less, "repugnant" than a thread title you wanted censored.....taken down. yikes.

Key word "worse"
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Finster

Post by Finster »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:05 am
Finster wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 am

Hofstra
Wagner
Stony Brook
High Point

what IS our take supposed to be, umm, from your take (s) ?

Could it possibly be that "malpractice" occurred in scheduling, some of the _______(fill in the blank with negative word) teams ?

...... nuanced and thinly veiled as your "take" may be, we find your comments to be no more, no less, "repugnant" than a thread title you wanted censored.....taken down. yikes.

Key word "worse"

You think criticizing a formerly perennial Memorial Day team/coach for playing a SOS schedule that deliberately hurts their postseason chances, is equivalent to openly debating ‘which D1 team is the worst’? Seriously?
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

UNC is ranked 18th, their strength of schedule is 18th. Three teams ranked higher than them have weaker (sos); yale (20) Richmond (21); GT (23) and number one Denver sos is 17.
UNC has a new DC, new OC, starts 3.5 freshman, (FOGO frosh splitting with senior). They play five teams ranked 1-6, eight teams ranked in the top 15.
UNC plays enough of a schedule to play into or out of post season play. Yes they looked awful Friday…..looked pretty damn good Sunday.
Lax4love

Post by Lax4love »

Adversity often reveals character and the team really showed up in a great win over Penn. Glad the UNC kids who balled out don't read the negativity on this board (which often says more about the authors than anything close to reality). Offense finally found a groove in the 2nd half and the defense played lights out the whole game. Critics who complain about the schedule overlook that it is one of the hardest schedules in the country, and OOC games against Penn, Princeton and two current top five teams JHU and Army are very challenging. Stony Brook played fairly close games against Rutgers and Penn State and lost in OT against Air Force. Hofstra also had a fairly close game against Rutgers, too. HPU is a regional game and has been on the schedule for years due to coaching relationships. So you basically have a problem playing Wagner, while on a LI spring break trip? Get over yourself.....

Hopefully team continues to improve as the younger players get more time and the offense creates an identity. Defense should hopefully keep them in games while this happens.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Laxfan23 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:31 pm UNC is ranked 18th, their strength of schedule is 18th. Three teams ranked higher than them have weaker (sos); yale (20) Richmond (21); GT (23) and number one Denver sos is 17.
UNC has a new DC, new OC, starts 3.5 freshman, (FOGO frosh splitting with senior). They play five teams ranked 1-6, eight teams ranked in the top 15.
UNC plays enough of a schedule to play into or out of post season play. Yes they looked awful Friday…..looked pretty damn good Sunday.

Richmond: zero national championships
Georgetown: zero national championships
Yale: one national championship
Denver: one national championship
UNC: five national championships

These aren’t comparable legacies.

The next four UNC opponents will drag down their SOS considerably.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Can anyone summarize the state of their o now?

Is petro attack? i see he has been starting there per their social media. What kind of role does Matan play? Etc. He seemed ot have played really well last game.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Lax4love wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:36 pm Adversity often reveals character and the team really showed up in a great win over Penn. Glad the UNC kids who balled out don't read the negativity on this board (which often says more about the authors than anything close to reality). Offense finally found a groove in the 2nd half and the defense played lights out the whole game. Critics who complain about the schedule overlook that it is one of the hardest schedules in the country, and OOC games against Penn, Princeton and two current top five teams JHU and Army are very challenging. Stony Brook played fairly close games against Rutgers and Penn State and lost in OT against Air Force. Hofstra also had a fairly close game against Rutgers, too. HPU is a regional game and has been on the schedule for years due to coaching relationships. So you basically have a problem playing Wagner, while on a LI spring break trip? Get over yourself.....

Hopefully team continues to improve as the younger players get more time and the offense creates an identity. Defense should hopefully keep them in games while this happens.

I’m a Syracuse fan. I don’t ever write to be negative to any player, ever; I’m genuinely happy for the Heels players to recover against Penn.

On the other hand, I have no problem calling out a coach; those are adults who can handle it.

And if you think Carolina’s schedule isn’t worthy of some skepticism, just take a look at last years OOC; it was far different than this year’s. I think we all know what’s going on. It’s not bad to debate it. And one thing I know FOR SURE: great players like playing the best. If you polled the team if they’d rather play Wagner or Denver, I’m betting 100% would say Denver.
Lax4love

Post by Lax4love »

Writes the Syracuse fan with Manhattan, Hobart and HPU on the schedule....Glass houses.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

How much does having bad teams like Wagner and Mercer on the schedule actually hurt SOS or RPI? Like let's say you drop Wagner and don't replace them with anyone else.
Last edited by 10 10 2 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Lax4love wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:16 pm Writes the Syracuse fan with Manhattan, Hobart and HPU on the schedule....Glass houses.

You left out a few tbh.

I think you’d find several Syracuse supporters (including me) not entirely enthusiastic about the OOC schedule this year.
coda

Post by coda »

Lax4love wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:16 pm Writes the Syracuse fan with Manhattan, Hobart and HPU on the schedule....Glass houses.
I think it is pretty fair to question the schedule. Quint did this morning

19) North Carolina
13-9 Sunday win may be a turnaround moment for the Heels after playing so poorly on Friday. They dominated Faceoffs 18-8 and James Matan and Dom Pietramala were effective. Carolina is (2-2) with losses to JHU and the Tigers. They play Hofstra, Wagner, Stony Brook and High Point next. I don’t understand this schedule.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:38 pm
I think it is pretty fair to question the schedule. Quint did this morning

19) North Carolina
13-9 Sunday win may be a turnaround moment for the Heels after playing so poorly on Friday. They dominated Faceoffs 18-8 and James Matan and Dom Pietramala were effective. Carolina is (2-2) with losses to JHU and the Tigers. They play Hofstra, Wagner, Stony Brook and High Point next. I don’t understand this schedule.

Quint is correct to be confused about the Heels March schedule.

I don’t know if Joe tried to schedule other squads in March and no one else was available. I certainly don’t know.

But, if I’m being honest, the schedule is bizarre for a 5x champ so I’m skeptical.

Huge credit to the UNC players for beating Penn; that’s a great win against a tough team, with your back against the wall and idiots like me dissecting your SOS online.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:26 pm How much does having bad teams like Wagner and Mercer on the schedule actually hurt SOS or RPI? Like let's say you drop Wagner and don't replace them with anyone else.
doesn't hurt sos at all, as the top 10 games are what goes into the calculation. for rpi, cuse in 2023 had st bonnies which surprisingly had an awful season and holy cross where it wasn't a surprise. had they never played them, they would've finished mid teens rpi instead of low 20s. but cuse had the dual problem of not getting big wins. so they would've been out regardless.

if unc gets 2 acc wins and wins out ooc, they'll be in decent shape.with possibly an acc tourney win to get tbem in. most of these guys have no idea what they're talking about. not to mention no idea how games for all teams and rpi will play out.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

I disagree on the RPI and SOS Last year Delaware had to due the play in game because of their RPI Their conference included Hampton and there was another cupcake them in there as well. Without those teams bringing down the RPI, they might have avoided playing #1 seeded Duke in first round. All games factor into RPI
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

getitdone wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:43 pm I disagree on the RPI and SOS Last year Delaware had to due the play in game because of their RPI Their conference included Hampton and there was another cupcake them in there as well. Without those teams bringing down the RPI, they might have avoided playing #1 seeded Duke in first round. All games factor into RPI
no problemo, i said top 10 games factor into the sos. yes, all games factor into rpi. in the case of a unc (this thread), there are no aq's for the acc, so that same problem wouldn't necessarily hit unc. every team will have an rpi @ season's end, and for any at large selection, that may or may not figure in to tourney selection.
gunnerz

Post by gunnerz »

Also, UNC opened the season beating Mercer and Fairfield, which also doesn't help SOS. Three "tough" games so far and they lost two of them.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Their last five games are against teams currently ranked 1-9. Plenty of exposure to high quality teams…..let the season play out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”