Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by primitiveskills »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:02 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:01 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:56 pm Did Ierlan take a shot as well? Also against the 10-man ride?
Yes, that was against the 10 man. We were 0-2 clearing against it in the 4Q (Deans "shot" was the other TO).
I guess we will be seeing more of it.
Yup.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:02 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:01 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:56 pm Did Ierlan take a shot as well? Also against the 10-man ride?
Yes, that was against the 10 man. We were 0-2 clearing against it in the 4Q (Deans "shot" was the other TO).
I guess we will be seeing more of it.
There’s at least a couple of teams on our schedule who are much better on the ride than GT. And if this team wants to win any championships, they will have to contend with ND, the best riding team of all.

This is a talented Hopkins team, but they are nowhere close to where they need to be to make some noise this season.

But that’s what February is for … improving for April and (hopefully) May.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:39 pm
JayBlue wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:38 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:30 pm
JayBlue wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:30 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:27 pm
JayBlue wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:21 pm Any chance we could…maybe…switch the goalie?
Please explain
Try a new goalie out
Are you watching the game?
Live stats
I genuinely can't tell if you're doing a bit or not, but for the record Ierlan is playing well
Ierlan is a good goalie.

If I had to nitpick, he’s a bit streaky (although not today) and he seems to give up a lot of rebounds off shots. Teams like Virginia feast off of rebounds.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Getting out of the Georgetown parking garage is a nightmare.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:59 pm To me, positives were 1) no more FloSports this year and 2) we beat a decent team playing our C+ game. The D played really well on a couple of critical possessions in the middle of 4Q but otherwise that was a Denver-like finish. We need to keep playing on offense; way too sloppy when we get out of our rythym and try to burn clock. And clearing against the 10-man ride could use a little work.

But, still early days and I'll take the win.
I wonder if the Jays just ran low on fuel after playing 3 games in 8 days against three quality teams.

Based on what Angelus said last week, I’m wondering if conditioning is an issue the Blue Jays need to work on.

There is no way this team should be burning clock in the fourth quarter … not after the Denver Debacle (yes, I am officially capitalizing it).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:25 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:59 pm To me, positives were 1) no more FloSports this year and 2) we beat a decent team playing our C+ game. The D played really well on a couple of critical possessions in the middle of 4Q but otherwise that was a Denver-like finish. We need to keep playing on offense; way too sloppy when we get out of our rythym and try to burn clock. And clearing against the 10-man ride could use a little work.

But, still early days and I'll take the win.
I wonder if the Jays just ran low on fuel after playing 3 games in 8 days against three quality teams.

Based on what Angelus said last week, I’m wondering if conditioning is an issue the Blue Jays need to work on.

There is no way this team should be burning clock in the fourth quarter … not after the Denver Debacle (yes, I am officially capitalizing it).

DocBarrister
They did not look tired to me. Just reacted poorly to the 10-man and perhaps a little bit of panic set in. The result never really felt in doubt the way that the Denver one did in the 4th quarter. But they definitely need to play better in the final frame. It starts with the offense continuing to play fast even with a lead. Credit to Georgetown's defense late though, they weren't giving the Jays a whole lot to work with.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Random thoughts:
Early season rotations (and it being the early season) is not helping the continuity in the offense but that's OK - don't want to play your best right now

Georgetown obviously was determined to not allow any 18 goal - 8 goal differential - pretty sure Blue/Grey practice was not entirely pleasant this week

Hoyas had a nice defensive gameplan - their D middies did a great job standing on their own - Big kids - Collison only got one and he was shortsticked much of the game - always have to remember the other team has players too

Ierlan was a huge part of this game - without him its fingernails to the quick - Hopkins - IMO - sometimes sloughs in so much the skip pass to the other side leaves somebody with alot of time - still 7 6v6 goals to Georgetown is nothing to sneeze at - it seemed like he had more than 9 saves

4th quarter was not handled well - especially when the 10 man came up - clearly that does have to be fixed - helped tremendously by G'town's 6 turnovers

In 3 games Hopkins opponents have committed 1 personal foul
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Callahan is winning 59.7% of FOs with 22 gbs.

That’s great, but he’s going to be worn out as the season progresses. Blue Jays will need to rotate in more FO men.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

EMO needs a lot of work. Only 2 of 8 (25%) after three games....
Last edited by Big Dog on Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:25 pm Callahan is winning 59.7% of FOs with 22 gbs.

That’s great, but he’s going to be worn out as the season progresses. Blue Jays will need to rotate in more FO men.

DocBarrister
He's up from 456 last year. Considering they lost mazzone and hawley that's a really really nice start. He wasn't one of the top 7 things discussed here going into this season, but he's done well.

The "bench" scoring was 4-1 Hop today. That depth narrative at least the commenter all americans and media got right.

The Crosse Commission @College_Crosse
Now That's What I Call Regression Vol. 1 Last year, Johns Hopkins was +12 in 4th Quarter Goal Differential. So far this year, they are -3 in 3 games
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

[quote=51percentcorn post_id=517789 time=1707596415 user_id=502

In 3 games Hopkins opponents have committed 1 personal foul
[/quote]

"have been called for 1 personal foul" would be slightly more accurate - but an amazing stat nonetheless. getting treated like we're back, i guess.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:54 pm EMO needs a lot of work. Only 2 of 8 (25%) after three games....
I'm not that concerned. Three of those were 30 sec penalties where we scored later in the same possession. So effectively 5 for 8. They won't force a shot at the end of the 30 sec EMO if they think they can generate a better look later in the possession.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Also Angelus' first goal that made it 3-2 didn't technically count as man-up because the penalty had released a couple of seconds before, but it was part of the EMO set and scored in 6v5. The Georgetown player hadn't gotten anywhere near the play yet and they were still in their man-down D. So it was a man-up goal in everything but the box score.

They designed a good play for Chauvette on the second one and got the look they wanted, just didn't go in.

Doesn't look like Brown played. Kaufman and Martin the Younger both got a run or two in the second half. Otherwise it was something like 60% Deans and 40% Kilrain at pole.

Callahan's start has been fantastic — he's turning into the player I thought he'd be coming out of Victor, where he was absolutely dominant. But we're going to need Dunn sooner or later.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

it is fairly amazing that what we thought would be the biggest weakness of the team has turned into a real strength. and that's without really having to use Dunn at all. Dunn is (as I thought Callahan was, but may not?) very matchup dependent, but in the right matchup, he can be really, really good.

on O, feels like it's just a matter of getting all of the (very, very good) pieces to fit together in the right way. and I think we're fine on D. that denver loss is going to bother me all season - really hope it ends up not mattering.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:50 am Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/U7B1_lW-vzE?si=U1v6gwjkDtlzxSOU
This is great, HOB! Thanks!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:41 pm it is fairly amazing that what we thought would be the biggest weakness of the team has turned into a real strength. and that's without really having to use Dunn at all. Dunn is (as I thought Callahan was, but may not?) very matchup dependent, but in the right matchup, he can be really, really good.

on O, feels like it's just a matter of getting all of the (very, very good) pieces to fit together in the right way. and I think we're fine on D. that denver loss is going to bother me all season - really hope it ends up not mattering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhyQCSDvDHY

callahan's day yesterday. I'm not sure what's driving the improvement but it's working.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:50 am Enjoy. https://youtu.be/U7B1_lW-vzE?si=U1v6gwjkDtlzxSOU
You must have been next to us. That pole obscuring the GT score was quite annoying.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Same angle, but last row so I could stand up. Agreed on the annoying pole.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:00 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:50 am Enjoy. https://youtu.be/U7B1_lW-vzE?si=U1v6gwjkDtlzxSOU
You must have been next to us. That pole obscuring the GT score was quite annoying.
Ummm, you’re a New England guy post college right? Carroll etc eventuallmoving into beacon hill etc?

https://images.app.goo.gl/XYytDmNrhRqorrH9A
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”