Navy 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2024

Post by youthathletics »

fsclax wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:28 pm I'd like to see Arline playing above GLE more. Every time he attacked from behind MSM slid early and there was little/no space. If he were out front, not necessarily as a midfielder but in an area that had more space, I think he could do much more damage. He was above once yesterday on a short stick and gave up the ball too soon, in my opinion.
You are not wrong. Either move him to the high righty slot to work off of a wing dodge (over or under) stressing the 2-slide, or make the other 5 on the field get far better in spacing and slipping open when he’s behind. It’s why I’d prefer 10 as the true left winger if 24 is going to stay behind.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

Colgate's win does not shock me. For the past few years I thought they were much better than their record.
They sure played Navy tough. Glad we've got them at home this year.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:03 pm
fsclax wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:28 pm I'd like to see Arline playing above GLE more. Every time he attacked from behind MSM slid early and there was little/no space. If he were out front, not necessarily as a midfielder but in an area that had more space, I think he could do much more damage. He was above once yesterday on a short stick and gave up the ball too soon, in my opinion.
You are not wrong. Either move him to the high righty slot to work off of a wing dodge (over or under) stressing the 2-slide, or make the other 5 on the field get far better in spacing and slipping open when he’s behind. It’s why I’d prefer 10 as the true left winger if 24 is going to stay behind.
Good analysis (and great long post, youth). Despite the recent effort of a troll to foment controversy (i.e. to troll), #24 is of course a net plus for Navy (and should be saluted, no pun intended, for all the time/effort he's expended in playing for Navy in two varsity sports). He's got some explosiveness and a pretty good passing eye and I agree that your suggestions might make him even more effective.

Overall, a good win! Given that the Mount upset Navy a couple of years ago, a decisive win is obviously a good thing even if MSM is not the equal of some of the other teams Navy will face this year. Having watched the stream, I enjoyed seeing a couple of pole goals (glad to see that Bonitz and Marsh have the freedom to push it and take shots) and the spreading around of goals/points seemed to be a good thing. Daly looked comfortable in the net and direct-admit plebe Zach Hayashi performed well (66%) at the X (a solid additional FOGO option is key given Ghobriel's departure).

Congrats to AJ Marsh, Justin Queen, and Aidan Lough on scoring their first career goals for Navy.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Bring on Hofstra. That 13-12 win last year was too close for comfort.
essorcalveritas

Post by essorcalveritas »

The next 2 games are critical to building momentum. Beating Hofstra and Towson will allow the Mids to enter @ 3-0 into a very tough stretch of Penn St, @BU, @ Lehigh, @ Hopkins and v Nova. I believe that 5 game gauntlet will define the season (going 3-2 or better would be ideal).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not a walk in the park tomorrow....

~Depth with Grad players, Seniors, and Red Shirt Juniors.
~Share the ball really well....with most goals coming as assisted
~Very solid GB Team
~We only won by 1 last year

Our depth at SSDM may be the key to wearing them down if Hofstra spends too much time trying dodge players. Ball rotation and shooting percentage is going to be their keys, IMO.

Navy needs to win the possession battle and get their shooting percentage trending upwards. Looking forward to the game tomorrow.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

As a finisher, Hofstra attackman Rory Jones is the real deal!
lilax

Post by lilax »

I just want to see Navy to continue to push transition. I felt that’s where they broke the game open last week. It’s something I haven’t seen out of them in a long time.

Between Marsh, Bonitz, and LiCalzi, that is a very long, athletic and close defense. Then throw in Peters and the DMids and you have 6 defenders on the field at all times who are threats. Mount did not want to slide up off of the attack and Navy made them pay.

They have too much depth not to run.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lilax wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:05 pm I just want to see Navy to continue to push transition. I felt that’s where they broke the game open last week. It’s something I haven’t seen out of them in a long time.

Between Marsh, Bonitz, and LiCalzi, that is a very long, athletic and close defense. Then throw in Peters and the DMids and you have 6 defenders on the field at all times who are threats. Mount did not want to slide up off of the attack and Navy made them pay.

They have too much depth not to run.
+1

Have not had this since Durden (21) , and prior to that. Rees(17) and Fennell (17). Full Send!
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I didn't get to see the game. Sounds like Navy looked pretty good.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Nice job by Navy. Pulled away methodically as the game went on. The co-captain Jacksons (Peters and Bonitz) got Navy started with three out of the first four goals, and then the Navy offense (led by Arline who looked sharp with 4G 2A) picked it up and ran with it. Speaking of sharp, Daly in goal and Hayashi at the X both around 66% put Navy in a great position.

Go Navy, beat Towson!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Clearing game was also good with Navy at 21 for 22.

For things to improve on (in an overall very good game), maybe getting a bit more out of the ride (Hofstra was at 92% on the day on their clears); looking to win a few more of the non-face-off ground ball battles (Navy had the GB edge by just 1 even though way up on face-off wins); and trying to cut the turnovers down some (although 15 turnovers in February ball isn't bad).
Hack2022

Post by Hack2022 »

Let’s be real the mount, Hofstra very weak teams, not much compition. Waiting for some real opponents to see how this team really does. I think they will struggle. Not Impressed either the offense, not moving the ball at all no inside game. To much coming from the defesive middies and long poles for goals dosnt say much.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Winning the games you are supposed to win. ‘Nuf said.
old salt

Post by old salt »

...so factor out the 4 transition goals & it's 12-8.

It was 15-4 when Navy's starting D began subbing out.

For anyone wondering how Coach Cottle's fitting in :
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

When is the last time Navy scored 15+ goals in back to back games? Someone is making a difference.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mids shut out a Hofstra player who scored 8 goals last week.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:14 pm Nice job by Navy. Pulled away methodically as the game went on. The co-captain Jacksons (Peters and Bonitz) got Navy started with three out of the first four goals, and then the Navy offense (led by Arline who looked sharp with 4G 2A) picked it up and ran with it. Speaking of sharp, Daly in goal and Hayashi at the X both around 66% put Navy in a great position.

Go Navy, beat Towson!
Well said, Orfling.

A few more things that stood out to me that has not been seen in quite some time:
  1. Navy Double Poled the wings, dropping the SSDM at close on F/O's. Proved valuable in keeping it a scrum. Long overdue, pleased to see it. Poles still need work on picking up those close gb's or goosing it to space. Nonetheless, progress.
  2. 24 played more out on the right wing, which is where I've argued he belongs. I am not a fan of him playing behind all the time; there is a time and place for that.
  3. Daly played a fabulous game is in midseason form.
  4. Our ride is still poo, we seem content conceding it with our attackman.
  5. I realize its early, but something is amiss on attack. It seems like the staff can not figure out what to do with the personnel. It seems like they are trying shoehorn 10 as inside guy, while giving 9 the lefty wing without rally earning it and 24 they keys to castle. In all honesty, 27 appeared more poised and cerebral over all the attackman. My sense is that if you are not 24 or 9, you are competing for a spot...something is going on.
  6. Offensively as a whole, I like seeing some of the silly TO's and missed opportunities as they navigate the newer style 'Flow' based offense. You can see them working through it. You can see how it's impacting 6,28 & 43, as they solve the spacing/gaps in the offense.
    {*} 26 should have to drop $20 in a jar each time he shoots underhand or sidearm. He is a much better overhand shooter. Has he ever seen a shot he doesn't like? If he did that, he'd probably go broke each pay period. Keep shooting 26, just go a bit more overhand, it'll pay dividends. ;) :lol:
Towson appears to be more of a head to head battle, as the beat the Mount similarly to Navy. And, Towson's Attack/MF with stress our defense more than the prior two games.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Tough one at Towson today!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Ouch. Learn, reset, move on. Lax OODA loop.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”