Potential new programs

D1 Womens Lacrosse
cltlax

Re: Potential new programs

Post by cltlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:47 am
Deacon022 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 am When the hell is Wake gonna get one. My daughter will be forced to decommit. 😁
Four 80's era field hockey players sat in the AD's office a decade ago... as our lax daughters committed to: UVA, Georgetown, Florida (X2) and Dartmouth ... and lamented that Mother So Dear was not an option. He asked for a check for $60M to get it done.
More recently, I asked John Currie about adding women's lacrosse. He said if I could give him $3 million a year they could do it.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

cltlax wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:40 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:47 am
Deacon022 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 am When the hell is Wake gonna get one. My daughter will be forced to decommit. 😁
Four 80's era field hockey players sat in the AD's office a decade ago... as our lax daughters committed to: UVA, Georgetown, Florida (X2) and Dartmouth ... and lamented that Mother So Dear was not an option. He asked for a check for $60M to get it done.
More recently, I asked John Currie about adding women's lacrosse. He said if I could give him $3 million a year they could do it.
No lie - same conversation last school year. Had same with several others. Miami tried launching almost 15 years ago and then AD said, "No thanks...". There were heading into $$$ trouble as an Athletic Department then too.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

I'm not sure how the demographic issues colleges are facing impacts the decisions for athletics. I hear from so many people in academics that enrollment has fallen off a cliff and many small schools will close. As an outsider I want to blame the highly paid administrators who've been spending like drunken sailors on buildings/expansions when anyone could look at the demographics coming there way.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

WLaxdad wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:13 am I'm not sure how the demographic issues colleges are facing impacts the decisions for athletics. I hear from so many people in academics that enrollment has fallen off a cliff and many small schools will close. As an outsider I want to blame the highly paid administrators who've been spending like drunken sailors on buildings/expansions when anyone could look at the demographics coming there way.
I would take a slightly different angle here, as we've had a confluence of factors that ultimately affect enrollment at colleges and universities. From one perspective, you have an "arms race" taking place with improvements of facilities, much like I've seen over the past 20 years within hospitals, as they try to attract more students. Many facilities for college campuses were designed when enrollment was lower and most buildings are functionally obsolescent. We've also seen significant decreases in state and federal funding for colleges and universities, with many schools looking to students to foot the bill. This was a readily used strategy once private funding/banks for education came online and the access to federal grants decreased. Running facilities is expensive, there are always costs for maintenance/upkeep and we haven't even added in gas/electric to keep the buildings cool/heated/lights on.

Obviously, extremely high costs have a direct impact on some kids skipping college and going different routes, now add in for the first time in history, part of the US demographic doesn't believe you will end up better off after college, you get low enrollment. Even though the stats still support college being a higher payoff than not, it hurts.

The administrators working to keep the lights on probably aren't your major problem, but let's be real here--colleges and universities have fallen into the same trap large businesses have, with the same type of people populating high level admin roles--most are super conservative from a financial perspective, unless it's paying certain admin roles, then they are just as competitive money-wise as large corporations. I think a college president should be paid well, but should they get paid $800k/year with 100-200k bonuses, along with private jet usage and free housing? For this issue, I think we can blame the Boards.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

On the school side, I keep hearing rumors of SEC schools possibly making the jump. I think once you see a Texas, Georgia, or Bama jump in, it's off to the races.

I would personally like to see more Big 10 schools get into the game. There's a lot of growth in places like Minnesota, etc.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:05 am On the school side, I keep hearing rumors of SEC schools possibly making the jump. I think once you see a Texas, Georgia, or Bama jump in, it's off to the races.

I would personally like to see more Big 10 schools get into the game. There's a lot of growth in places like Minnesota, etc.
Been hearing Georgia and Miami was next for the last year then FSU was forced. I’d wager it’s gonna be Georgia.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:04 am
WLaxdad wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:13 am I'm not sure how the demographic issues colleges are facing impacts the decisions for athletics. I hear from so many people in academics that enrollment has fallen off a cliff and many small schools will close. As an outsider I want to blame the highly paid administrators who've been spending like drunken sailors on buildings/expansions when anyone could look at the demographics coming there way.
I would take a slightly different angle here, as we've had a confluence of factors that ultimately affect enrollment at colleges and universities. From one perspective, you have an "arms race" taking place with improvements of facilities, much like I've seen over the past 20 years within hospitals, as they try to attract more students. Many facilities for college campuses were designed when enrollment was lower and most buildings are functionally obsolescent. We've also seen significant decreases in state and federal funding for colleges and universities, with many schools looking to students to foot the bill. This was a readily used strategy once private funding/banks for education came online and the access to federal grants decreased. Running facilities is expensive, there are always costs for maintenance/upkeep and we haven't even added in gas/electric to keep the buildings cool/heated/lights on.

Obviously, extremely high costs have a direct impact on some kids skipping college and going different routes, now add in for the first time in history, part of the US demographic doesn't believe you will end up better off after college, you get low enrollment. Even though the stats still support college being a higher payoff than not, it hurts.

The administrators working to keep the lights on probably aren't your major problem, but let's be real here--colleges and universities have fallen into the same trap large businesses have, with the same type of people populating high level admin roles--most are super conservative from a financial perspective, unless it's paying certain admin roles, then they are just as competitive money-wise as large corporations. I think a college president should be paid well, but should they get paid $800k/year with 100-200k bonuses, along with private jet usage and free housing? For this issue, I think we can blame the Boards.

What is the ROI for a school to have a women's or a men's lacrosse team? I don't think gender matters too much here as neither are likely to be profitable. I've always thought it was just a loss for the school that was covered by tuition & the few money making sports (football, basketball).

I've heard other people say lax is basically a loss-leader for the school to get fairly wealthy families to pay mostly full tuition. In that sense it might actually be profitable?
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:04 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:05 am On the school side, I keep hearing rumors of SEC schools possibly making the jump. I think once you see a Texas, Georgia, or Bama jump in, it's off to the races.

Been hearing Georgia and Miami was next for the last year then FSU was forced. I’d wager it’s gonna be Georgia.
Unfortunately I’ve heard UGA has no interest currently in making the jump from club to NCAA. Such a shame that a school with fantastic athletics, fantastic academics, and a terrific surrounding downtown area could be such a strong program. Imagine if they received the funding Clemson got. No shortage of NY & MD girls wanting to go there.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

If we are trying to predict new womens lax programs, the best thing to do is look at schools with poor Title IX issue. Girls lacrosse can add alot of roster spots for a relatively low cost.

Just looking at some schools with poor Title IX stats per the online athletic spend database

- Florida Atlantic
- NC State
- Northern Illinois
- Missouri
- RIce
- ODU

That's where i'd start looking for potential new programs.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:21 pm - ODU
Old Dominion University?
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:26 pm
Old Dominion University?
Oops. I forgot they actually had a team. Most of the schools in Title IX trouble dont have lax.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:51 am
Old Dominion University?
Oops. I forgot they actually had a team. Most of the schools in Title IX trouble dont have lax.
I've heard they might make a little noise this season. That would be nice to see.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 am
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:51 am
Old Dominion University?
I've heard they might make a little noise this season. That would be nice to see.
Be interesting to see if they can help boost the American a bit.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

For those wondering why Wake Forest is not jumping at the chance to add men's and women's lacrosse ... just not part of the strategy (which seems to be working quite well) or the budget:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=79 ... 9297542902

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”