NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SaltCounty

Re: NESCAC

Post by SaltCounty »

ChopMan23 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:08 pm
BallHunt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:56 pm First games predictions anyone?

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Hamilton vs Bates (3rd game)
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates
Babson
Early season Trinity upset
Jumbos
Colby
Hamilton
Midd in OT
Bates
Babson (in a close one)
Bowdoin
Tufts
Wesleyan
Hamilton (Hamilton hosts this game)
Midd

I'd be in for the Trinity upset if the game were in Hartford.
I think there's a better chance to see an upset when Bowdoin travels to Conn; granted Conn has a good start to the season.
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:29 pm

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates
Babson
Jumbos
Colby
Hamilton
Midd in OT
Bates
Babson (in a close one)
Bowdoin
Tufts
Wesleyan
Midd

I think there's a better chance to see an upset when Bowdoin travels to Conn; granted Conn has a good start to the season.
Oh man, lots of Bowdoin haters on here. Yep Trinity is gonna be very tough. Prob Bowdoin by a goal or two at home.
Wesleyan will take care of business.
Amherst in OT
And of course, Tufts wins by 20 and people in this thread give Casey crap for running up the score, yet again
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:44 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:50 pm
RE6ULATOR wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:22 pm
RE@ULATOR wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:55 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:13 pm I'm here to stay Skippy, just to tick your sorry ass off. :P
Mr. Leventhal appreciates your dedication to trolling the NESCAC thread during business hours.
Had to create an alternate account to try to “dox” someone. Classic.

“Sir or Madam,
Im a poster on an Internet forum, and there’s this guy who hurt my feelings by not acknowledging the prestige of _____ college. Make him stop.
Sincerely,
Unnamed coward.”
I was really confused by this exchange for a moment before seeing the "@" in the burner account name.
Sorry. It jumped out at me so assumed everyone else saw too. Maybe I should’ve put a ? At the end of “Had to create an alternate account to try to “dox” someone”

One specific NESCAC poster logged back in at 1pm just after the burner Re@ulator posted, revealing the likely culprit... can’t buy class apparently.
I know who it is, easy to trace. I would never have imagined someone sinking this low. You gotta be a real scumbag, all because of a post he disagreed with. What a f*+#ing wimp.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

jumpman23 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:50 pm
SaltCounty wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:29 pm

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates
Babson
Jumbos
Colby
Hamilton
Midd in OT
Bates
Babson (in a close one)
Bowdoin
Tufts
Wesleyan
Midd

Oh man, lots of Bowdoin haters on here. Yep Trinity is gonna be very tough. Prob Bowdoin by a goal or two at home.
Wesleyan will take care of business.
Amherst in OT
And of course, Tufts wins by 20 and people in this thread give Casey crap for running up the score, yet again
Not a Bowdoin hater - just not ready to get behind them yet the same way some are.
I do think a upset to a team in Conn's position is a possibility.
I also think them beating Tufts @ Tufts is a possibility.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:58 pm
HereForIt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:33 pm

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates
Babson
Jumbos
Colby
Hamilton
Midd in OT
Love these takes. Just the right amount of controversial. Felt the need to offer my two cents and more color. More reactions to the above than predictions/arguments.

Bates over Emerson - Obvious choice. Bates is building. Seem to be well coached, but were very young and inexperienced last year. Their offense looked decent, but defense could be improved. Hopefully this team continues in the right direction.

Babson over Williams - This is a juicy one. For Babson, may take time to mesh as a team that has taken a lot of 5th years historically. They were good last year, but graduate a lot, and bring in a lot. Just the reality. You never know until you know with them. Williams may have (ever so slightly) regressed in recent years, but still a force to be reckoned with, and a very well run program. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they graduated too much last year and had some very strong young talent, especially in the midfield. Expect them to come out and look better than Babson early in the year.

Early season Trinity Upset over Bowdoin - Really juicy one and just as my username would imply, I love it. Last year, Trinity improved drastically from game 1 to the end, and if this year’s team is anything like the team everyone saw late last year, they just don’t quit. Nonetheless, hard to pick against the Polar Bears in the Tundra in early February. Really like what Coach Mason has done up in Brunswick the last 3 years, and also pretty cool that Donal Mullane has joined their staff as he was one hell of an X attackman. Just to keep it interesting, this pick gets my co-sign.

Tufts over Conn - Maybe Conn’s Will Rice makes 30 Billion saves again like he did in last year’s regular season game. Tufts lost a lot to graduation, but I don’t think it’s a question. They are probably well reloaded and ready to go like always.

Colby over Wesleyan - Gonna have to disagree with this one. Wesleyan may have had a down year last year, and props to Colby for an absolutely incredible hire this offseason, but it’s gonna be hard to beat Wesleyan. I do expect to see Colby surprise a lot of people this spring, but I don’t see Wesleyan losing this one.

Hamilton over Bates - Fair. Like I said before, expect Bates to trend in the right direction, but Hamilton has been a great mid-tier NESCAC team for the past few years.

Midd in OT over Amherst - Early pick for game of the year. Two great teams with a chance to prove it early. Would look at how Amherst handles Middlebury’s 10 man ride early in the year and in the cold (that is if Middlebury has it installed). Ride/clear is always one of those pesky factors/stats that can make or break a game early in the year. Side note: Massive believer in the 10 man ride, wish more teams would ingrain it into their identity. If you have the speed and the horses, I don’t see why you wouldn’t test opposing defensive personnel’s stick work and see how many long passes they can string together. Back to the point, I like this one to go into OT, could be anyone’s game.
So, purely hypothetical here, I don’t see any of these teams beating NJIT.

Hear me out, there is a distinct size and speed difference when going between divisions. A player or two makes a lion out of Bates. Imagine an entire roster of them, wearing NJIT uniforms. Oh wait they’re out there. On NJIT. Mic Drop.
I will look for it, but someone did an analysis a few years back that highlighted the size differences between D1 and D3 lacrosse players to be around 4 lbs and 1/2 an inch. So basically no difference.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Wizard-Saga

Post by Wizard-Saga »

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Amherst vs Middlebury
New guy here. I'll take a stab, albeit a month out.

Bates over Emerson: They keep improving. I think they'll get this one. I don't think they will be Skidmore in game 2.

Babson over Williams: Close game, but Babson in the end.

Trinity vs Bowdoin: Coin flip. Bowdoin loaded on paper with a ton coming back. Trinity still a young team and could need a few weeks to put it together. It will be interesting to see how the young players and transfers mesh. Supposedly word out from Hartford, there are transfers from UMBC, Rutgers, Bryant, Kenyon, Providence, and Conn.

Wesleyan over Colby: New coach for Colby--great hire! They will still need time to build. Wesleyan looking to rebound from last year, but the trip to Maine will not be a problem.

Hamilton over Bates: Although Hamilton lost double digit seniors, I think they pull it against the Bobcats.

Middlebury over Amherst: This is the game I'm most excited to stream. It will be quite the battle on the field with neither team wanting to start 0-1. On paper I think Campbell's got the better team. Panthers win by 1, potentially in OT.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

BallHunt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 pm

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates
Babson
Jumbos
Colby
Hamilton
Midd in OT
Love these takes. Just the right amount of controversial. Felt the need to offer my two cents and more color. More reactions to the above than predictions/arguments.

Bates over Emerson - Obvious choice. Bates is building. Seem to be well coached, but were very young and inexperienced last year. Their offense looked decent, but defense could be improved. Hopefully this team continues in the right direction.

Babson over Williams - This is a juicy one. For Babson, may take time to mesh as a team that has taken a lot of 5th years historically. They were good last year, but graduate a lot, and bring in a lot. Just the reality. You never know until you know with them. Williams may have (ever so slightly) regressed in recent years, but still a force to be reckoned with, and a very well run program. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they graduated too much last year and had some very strong young talent, especially in the midfield. Expect them to come out and look better than Babson early in the year.

Early season Trinity Upset over Bowdoin - Really juicy one and just as my username would imply, I love it. Last year, Trinity improved drastically from game 1 to the end, and if this year’s team is anything like the team everyone saw late last year, they just don’t quit. Nonetheless, hard to pick against the Polar Bears in the Tundra in early February. Really like what Coach Mason has done up in Brunswick the last 3 years, and also pretty cool that Donal Mullane has joined their staff as he was one hell of an X attackman. Just to keep it interesting, this pick gets my co-sign.

Tufts over Conn - Maybe Conn’s Will Rice makes 30 Billion saves again like he did in last year’s regular season game. Tufts lost a lot to graduation, but I don’t think it’s a question. They are probably well reloaded and ready to go like always.

Colby over Wesleyan - Gonna have to disagree with this one. Wesleyan may have had a down year last year, and props to Colby for an absolutely incredible hire this offseason, but it’s gonna be hard to beat Wesleyan. I do expect to see Colby surprise a lot of people this spring, but I don’t see Wesleyan losing this one.

Hamilton over Bates - Fair. Like I said before, expect Bates to trend in the right direction, but Hamilton has been a great mid-tier NESCAC team for the past few years.

Midd in OT over Amherst - Early pick for game of the year. Two great teams with a chance to prove it early. Would look at how Amherst handles Middlebury’s 10 man ride early in the year and in the cold (that is if Middlebury has it installed). Ride/clear is always one of those pesky factors/stats that can make or break a game early in the year. Side note: Massive believer in the 10 man ride, wish more teams would ingrain it into their identity. If you have the speed and the horses, I don’t see why you wouldn’t test opposing defensive personnel’s stick work and see how many long passes they can string together. Back to the point, I like this one to go into OT, could be anyone’s game.

Hear me out, there is a distinct size and speed difference when going between divisions. A player or two makes a lion out of Bates. Imagine an entire roster of them, wearing NJIT uniforms. Oh wait they’re out there. On NJIT. Mic Drop.
I will look for it, but someone did an analysis a few years back that highlighted the size differences between D1 and D3 lacrosse players to be around 4 lbs and 1/2 an inch. So basically no difference.
https://bhbero.wixsite.com/mysite/singl ... division-3
Bilo

Post by Bilo »

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates by 6
Williams by 1
Bowdoin by 4
Wesleyan by 8
Hamilton by 4
Middlebury by 3
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

BallHunt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:16 pm
BallHunt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 pm

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates
Babson
Jumbos
Colby
Hamilton
Midd in OT

Interesting. I would love to see an updated one. I also would imagine the average sizes of players both divisions have increased, though likely more so in DI, with specialization really starting to set in, especially on the defensive end.

This is reasonable discourse, and it’s welcomed. Thank you for not hyperventilating at the mere suggestion like so many others have.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:09 am …This is reasonable discourse, and it’s welcomed. Thank you for not hyperventilating at the mere suggestion like so many others have.
Preach.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Bilo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:16 pm

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates by 6
Williams by 1
Bowdoin by 4
Wesleyan by 8
Hamilton by 4
Middlebury by 3
Looking purely at returning points for the upcoming season (if a Senior/Grad Student last year those points disappear):

Bates ~ 85%
Williams ~ 87%
Trinity ~ 64%
Bowdoin ~ 94%
Conn College ~ 74%
Wesleyan ~ 52%
Hamilton ~ 46%
Tufts ~ 46%
Colby ~ 48%
Amherst - 52%
Middlebury ~ 65%

A few teams have a good sprinkle of top scoring underclassmen this season.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

BallHunt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:16 pm
BallHunt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 pm I will look for it, but someone did an analysis a few years back that highlighted the size differences between D1 and D3 lacrosse players to be around 4 lbs and 1/2 an inch. So basically no difference.
Interesting. I wish the numbers were from annual physicals, but I guess we can assume an equal fudging of the numbers across divisions and conferences.

The PLL ran a combine this weekend for 40ish committed players from the class of 2025. Seemed like mostly skills and speed/explosivity tests. I saw speculation that it being for high schoolers instead of college players could mean it's something the PLL is developing to get involved in recruiting $$$—I imagine PLL-affiliated regional combines held in August (or when the PLL is in town) for rising juniors would print money.

While pay to play/for exposure adds to the overall cost that's always an issue for this sport, and it'd stink for families to spend another $100 and summer Saturday, I'd love to see the data such events would produce after a few years highlighting the differentials from high D1 down to wherever in D3 active recruiting essentially ends.

I think the combine numbers, more than height & weight, is where the top 10-12 of D1 would really separate from everyone else and it would probably be the skills portion differential that stands out the most.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:56 pm
Interesting. I wish the numbers were from annual physicals, but I guess we can assume an equal fudging of the numbers across divisions and conferences.
Definitely some fudging goin on. Anyone here actually think Brock Gonzalez put on 25 lbs of any combination of muscle and fat, in a calendar year, to go from 250 to 275?

I guess we will see when he hits the field.

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-lacrosse ... alez/20306

https://athletics.amherst.edu/sports/me ... alez/15653
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:30 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:56 pm
Definitely some fudging goin on. Anyone here actually think Brock Gonzalez put on 25 lbs of any combination of muscle and fat, in a calendar year, to go from 250 to 275?

I guess we will see when he hits the field.

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-lacrosse ... alez/20306

https://athletics.amherst.edu/sports/me ... alez/15653
Now drawing instant triple team cover. Minimal playing time last year and lucky for opponents because he can get quality shots off just backing down defenders.
VTextrasharpcheddarr

Post by VTextrasharpcheddarr »

Emerson (by 1)
- Despite having a NESCAC bias, Emerson squeezes this one out by 1 or 2.
- Emerson has the edge at both FOGO and at goalie (44% > 39%) (56% > 44%)
Williams (by 3)
- Ephs avenge last May's NCAA loss in a low scoring early season battle
- Babson seems to have lost a majority of their top scorers
Bowdoin (by 3)
- Returning almost everyone, Bowdoin takes care of business at home
- W/ Fitzgerald most likely still on the ice and early season rust on both sidelines, it may be back and forth for 3 quarters
Tufts (by 4)
- There's a lot of positives for Conn, but travelling to Bello is never easy
- Tufts takes care of business and heads into a tough matchup in game 2 w/ CNU having 5 games under their belt
- If the Jumbos offense isn't clicking early, the Camels may just sniff out a huge upset
Wesleyan (by 5)
- Would love to see Bernhardt turn this program around, but they lost too much of their offense
- Colby will make strides in the right direction early season, not enough to get a W here
- Wesleyan came out hot last season & I expect a similar start this year especially if Raba suits up for season 6
Hamilton (by 3)
- Jack Fried picks up where he left off last year
- Hamilton is a good team - could see them having some upsets this year but finishing the year in a similar spot in terms of nescac standings
Middlebury (by 2)
- This game will be a battle. A loss for either team will not be devastating, but a win would mean a lot for both sides.
- Midd is the more experienced team, and I expect Kern to have a heck of a year behind a defense that only lost 1 close and 1 ssdm (Dobensky & Muldoon)
- Agree w/ HereForIt: Midd feeds off of their ride (both 10 man & regular). If they can create a handful of extra possessions, it'll make a difference for them at home
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Comparing stats of Bates and Emerson is not wise as they play such different strengths of schedule.

Did Williams all-American goalie graduate or is that not a big deal?

Fitzgerald is not rostered on the hockey team. Want to up your prediction?
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

I may be 2-3 weeks too early on this post, but can anyone provide color into how Tufts plans on replacing the production of Bruun, Boyden (and potentially Swank?) at attack? Any takeaways from fall ball regarding first years poised to contribute?
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

JumboFan4 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:18 pm I may be 2-3 weeks too early on this post, but can anyone provide color into how Tufts plans on replacing the production of Bruun, Boyden (and potentially Swank?) at attack? Any takeaways from fall ball regarding first years poised to contribute?
Definitely need to replace points at attack, but I expect they have the players en masse to get close.
VTextrasharpcheddarr

Post by VTextrasharpcheddarr »

SKUD wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:02 pm Comparing stats of Bates and Emerson is not wise as they play such different strengths of schedule.

Did Williams all-American goalie graduate or is that not a big deal?

Fitzgerald is not rostered on the hockey team. Want to up your prediction?
Kudos to you on both Williams and Fitz there. Looks like Fitz is not rostered, so that should give them an extra boost. Hadn't realized Freitas graduated & not sure who they turn to next, so maybe Babson should be favored.

Bates certainly does have a stronger schedule, so those stats could very well be skewed. But considering they play a handful of solid teams and a handful of Bates equivalents, I could see them getting an early season win. That being said, it could easily go the other way - just my take.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

JumboFan4 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:18 pm I may be 2-3 weeks too early on this post, but can anyone provide color into how Tufts plans on replacing the production of Bruun, Boyden (and potentially Swank?) at attack? Any takeaways from fall ball regarding first years poised to contribute?
Aside from what I’m pretty sure was a joke in a post on here, is there anything even suggesting Swank might be suiting up? He graduated and has a full time job, not sure why there is any speculation he is going to be coming back.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”