Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by HopFan16 »

Some more content from IL.

Close defense rankings — Jays rank #3: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ense/62464

Scrimmage writeup: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sses/62466

Not a ton that's new, but they definitely double down on the versatility and depth of the midfield as a team strength and something opposing teams will have trouble matching up with.

More praise for Kilrain. Their comments also echo what JaX said about Sorichetti and Martin the Younger both playing well when the backups came in.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Starting my 77th season as a devoted Blue Jay fan I know I'll likely never visit Geblein Stadium at Homewood again as I now live in Peekskill , New York.
So I now must count on the TV to follow the Jays.
Can anyone supply the TV schedule for the Jays this season starting with Denver next Saturday...?
Thanks and once again Go Blue Jays. I'm very upbeat about this season !!!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:38 pm Some more content from IL.

Close defense rankings — Jays rank #3: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ense/62464

Scrimmage writeup: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sses/62466

Not a ton that's new, but they definitely double down on the versatility and depth of the midfield as a team strength and something opposing teams will have trouble matching up with.

More praise for Kilrain. Their comments also echo what JaX said about Sorichetti and Martin the Younger both playing well when the backups came in.
Nothing on carson brown in those writeups-thought he had a great year last year and some crucial plays. Szelak has come a long way like his departed mate owen mcmanus.

Surprisingly nothing from the IL scrimmage writeup on the goalie situation including the backups who you figure would've gotten some run and callahan/his backups.

It's been brought up before but what are the differences between crawley/benson and petro/jameson in how they run their units. there isn't a lot of xs and os here or on the broadcasts.
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

As far a IL and Carson Brown I would think he’s more a hybrid. He’s played both LSM and close D. He’s definitely taken another step in the right direction. Silky smooth on ball and in transition. The thing to think about here is the fact there’s that there’s so much depth on D. You have a solid one and two punch with Smith and Szuluk then with the Princeton transfer, Deans, Kilrain and Brown you have a ton of talent. I think IL can’t mention all of them. As far as Xs and Os I can’t say I’ve been on the Hopkins side before the PM staff but I can tell that Coach K puts his guys in positions to do what they do best. I think this staff is really solid at doing that. They identify the players strengths and then mold there roles accordingly.
Last edited by JaXKy0521S on Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

For the backup goalies it seems like Jack Webb is the 2 and the OSU transfer is 3rd. As for the FOs I think they have two solid options and they will deploy either Dunn or Callahan based on matchups or how hot they are game to game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:32 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:15 am My comment was right on the mark. The ball movement we saw in that scrimmage was a preview of what PM and his crew was trying to put on the field.

It took some time to implement the vision in real games, but I think PM is finally putting all the pieces together.

DocBarrister
If you were standing on a boat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and threw that comment overboard it wouldn't hit water that's how far off the mark you were.

First, you have a little bit of a timing problem as that season was pre-Crawley. So your "best ball movement in two decades " was generated not by the young boy genius with all the energy and ideas but by many accounts - the hottest mess in offensive coaching for Johns Hopkins in quite a while. Should we invite fla or maybe O'C to the party to walk down memory lane on PM & Jr? So you can't have it both ways - either Crawley changed alot of things and made it much better or Milliman is doing everything.

Second, and more to the point it was simply wrong - based upon a highlight tape that basically only showed goals - it was NOT better ball movement than 2 national championship teams - 2 more championship game appearance teamss and 2 more Final Four teams - all within your two decade time frame when you made the comment.

Finally I forgot to include this initially , when the games counted the offense that produced the best ball movement in 2 decades in a scrimmage could not even break 11 gpg.

It might not climb up to some of the Black Hole's takes but it's Sportscenter Top 10
PM’s offense is still PM’s offense.

He has more of “his” players now and Crawley is clearly implementing it better than his predecessor.

This isn’t identical to his old Cornell offense, but I suspect Cornell fans recognize some of the same basic building blocks in the Blue Jays’ revamped O.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:13 pm PM’s offense is still PM’s offense.

He has more of “his” players now and Crawley is clearly implementing it better than his predecessor.

This isn’t identical to his old Cornell offense, but I suspect Cornell fans recognize some of the same basic building blocks in the Blue Jays’ revamped O.

DocBarrister
It's Crawley's offense. PM has given him a lot of autonomy. It's not the same offense as what was run in 2021-2022.
JaXKy0521S wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:05 pm As far a IL and Carson Brown I would think he’s more a hybrid. He’s played both LSM and close D. He’s definitely taken another step in the right direction. Silky smooth on ball and in transition. The thing to think about here is the fact there’s that there’s so much depth on D. You have a solid one and two punch with Smith and Szuluk then with the Princeton transfer, Deans, Kilrain and Brown you have a ton of talent. I think IL can’t mention all of them. As far as Xs and Os I can’t say I’ve been on the Hopkins side before the PM staff but I can tell that Coach K puts his guys in positions to do what they do best. I think this staff is really solid at doing that. They identify the players strengths and then mold there roles accordingly.
Didn't even mention Kaufman. Between close D and LSM, there are seven guys who are starting quality. And they're all huge.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Will the Navy @ Hopkins game be streamed or telecast. If so, where & how much ?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If it is at JHU, it will almost certainly be on some variety of ESPN; worst-case ESPN+.
I don't see it here: https://www.espn.com/watch/collections/ ... e-upcoming but maybe I missed it or somebody has a better place to look.

Another place to look would be https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule
The site generally adds viewing options as they become known.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:05 pm As far a IL and Carson Brown I would think he’s more a hybrid. He’s played both LSM and close D. He’s definitely taken another step in the right direction. Silky smooth on ball and in transition. The thing to think about here is the fact there’s that there’s so much depth on D. You have a solid one and two punch with Smith and Szuluk then with the Princeton transfer, Deans, Kilrain and Brown you have a ton of talent. I think IL can’t mention all of them. As far as Xs and Os I can’t say I’ve been on the Hopkins side before the PM staff but I can tell that Coach K puts his guys in positions to do what they do best. I think this staff is really solid at doing that. They identify the players strengths and then mold there roles accordingly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2BXTidniQA

1810 in causes the turnover against maryland, gb sets up 11th goal in transition. Brown is better than deans.
gc1507

Post by gc1507 »

I'll preface my post saying I've been an avid reader of both the old forum as well as this one for years and love the banter and insight you all have shared over the years. I prefer to stay out of the chatter as I cannot stay on the forum all day and typically have to play page catchup a couple times a week. I'm a long time Hopkins fan (first game was back in '88 with my dad sitting on the old wooden bleachers) and have had season tickets for quite some time.

That being said, I was also at the scrimmage last Friday and what an absolutely perfect night for lacrosse. I'll echo a lot of what JaxKy said. I felt the boys looked really strong and to be honest it could have, and should have, been a much higher score differential at half. The UMBC starter in goal made at minimum 4-5 saves that were of such a high difficulty. Add in the Jays rattling the post roughly 4 times and it could have gotten really out of hand.

Our defense looked very strong. The 3 S's (Stoebner, Smith, and Szuluk) were aggressive and caused multiple turnovers. Brown got some PT but it looks like he is destined for the #4 spot in the rotation unless he gets runs at LSM. The problem there is who comes off the field. Deans was all over the place and quick to look to push transition. And Kilrain....we got a really really good one there. He picked up numerous hard nosed ground balls and his athleticism was very evident. A big plus, as we all have been hoping for over the last few years, was goalie play. Ierlan let in two early before he settled into the game and after making his first save, his class really showed through. He was calm in the net and made some difficult saves look easy. Webb as the number two played very well also with a few saves of his own.

As a side note: there has to be a better option out there for us than the self proclaimed Hopkins Super Fan that sits in section 7. I know you all have said it before but it would be remiss of me not to mention how atrocious his actions were. I wish the athletic department would be brave enough to do something to calm him down or curtail his actions. Having Kyle Harrison's cell number (as he let us all know numerous times) does not give you a free pass to be an jerk. Aside from drinking his dad sodas that he brought with him and smelling of booze, he apparently does not understand the concept of class and having any ounce of respect for the opposition (players or families with young kids). We are talking about a preseason tune up scrimmage and this clown was screaming his face off as if its Memorial Day weekend about every legitimate call against the Jays such as the 30 second push from behind foul in the first quarter that he screamed was deserving of being 2 minutes non-releasable. He was constantly screaming for warding off calls (I think its the only other thing he knows to yell as its clear he has no playing background) and then going on and on about how "this is UMBC, they shouldnt even be allowed on our field". This while there were parents and young siblings of UMBC players sitting mere rows behind him watching their sons play for the first time in college. I had to assure them over and over that this clown does not speak for the rest of us. All this before yelling at the IL writers in attendance for daring to write up nice articles on the Jays and how our team is reading their own press thanks to them. Surely you'd think an article promoting your team is good for both the current season as well as the future, but what do I know.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Welcome to the crew, gc. Appreciate the notes.

Definitely excited to watch Kilrain develop. I think I said a few months ago when someone asked what I thought of him that he was among the most "college ready" defenseman I had seen in awhile. Some kids just have "it." I'm sure there will be some growing pains but you can just tell he belongs.

The math suggests that either he, Brown, or Kaufman just won't get a ton of playing time unless there's an injury. That's the downside to having very good depth at a position. That said, I expect the staff to make an effort to keep all those guys fresh, which likely means implementing some sort of rotation at LSM/wing/man-down/3rd close D.

As for the infamous fan in question, I'm not sure you'll find anyone to disagree with any of that. He has his friends/supporters (including some players' parents) but I bet even they would prefer that he tone it down. It's one thing to berate the refs/opposing team for an actual game, but for a preseason scrimmage with only a few hundred fans — against an inferior opponent with whom there's no bad blood — it's deeply cringe. No crowd noise or pep band to drown out the insanity. He really should have been told to cut it out many years ago.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

JHU 2002 season opener
Kyle Harrison debut

https://laxallstars.com/a-star-is-born/
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

I hope Joey Epstein's ghost gets some playing time this year. :D
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:31 amIt's one thing to berate the refs/opposing team for an actual game, but for a preseason scrimmage with only a few hundred fans — against an inferior opponent with whom there's no bad blood — it's deeply cringe.
For sure I can get behind this sentiment, I know I get a bit over the top during an actual game too. I'd just prefer he was right about most of the belly aching; too much boy who cried wolf about anything and everything gives the rest of us a bad name. If you're going to be outraged you gotta pick your spots and actually be right or else it loses all meaning :P

Scrimmages are certainly for fun and there shouldn't be any bad blood here, It's not about making anyone else feel uncomfortable and while the officiating crew the other night certainly looked to have had a couple trainees on staff everyone's gotta cut their teeth somewhere.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I know its a complicated issue and maybe he buys this grace from the Hopkins athletic department with contributions but the #1 Hopkins A$$Hat really needs to go. THere is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that someone like him lurks through this forum so I have the following advice for him:
- Stop calling attention to yourself - this is in no way about you
- Act your age - if you are a drunk 19 year old - whatever - hopefully someday you'll grow out of it but at what at least mid 40's? (I couldn't predict anybody's age) you're just embarassing yourself
- Have some self-respect - respect for others around you - respect for officials that don't have it in for Hopkins and respect for opponents - you are not a superfan - you're a joke

To any Hopkins sports administration personnel that may peruse this forum:
- He better be giving a helluva lot of money to earm your apparent apathy towards this issue
- His behavior is beyond obnoxious - for the program that had such legends as Howdy Myers, Fred Smith and of course Mr. Scott - it is shameful in the lack of sportsmanship. I have to believe Bob Scott would simply not tolerate it no matter the financial impact
- IMO - David made a mistake embracing him - fix it
- Also IMO he should be stopped before the Denver game and informed of the following "Cheer for a goal as much as you want - count to your heart's content - SIng "To win..." and yell "We want more" at the top of your lungs but the first obscentiy - the first sentence that begins with Mr. Official.... that the entire sideline can hear - you are GONE
- It is an incredibly large joke to hear your PA annoucner read a sportsmanship creed and allow that behavior - if you are going to allow him to continue - it has to be reworded to allow for offensive and intimidating language and behavior because apparently it is.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:28 pm
JaXKy0521S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:27 pm Ok after Q1 it’s 5-4 Hop. Offense is crisp and initiating early and often. If the UMBC goalie wasn’t standing on his head it would be 10-4. Garbage goal late from UMBC. Faceoffs are 8-10 JHU with #5 going 8-9. The ride is relentless!
A relentless ride by JHU is an expression not often heard on this forum
That is because you do not remember Peter LeSeuer. "Peter, Freshman year is over."
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:16 pm I know its a complicated issue and maybe he buys this grace from the Hopkins athletic department with contributions but the #1 Hopkins A$$Hat really needs to go. THere is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that someone like him lurks through this forum so I have the following advice for him:
- Act your age - if you are a drunk 19 year old - whatever - hopefully someday you'll grow out of it but at what at least mid 40's? (I couldn't predict anybody's age) you're just embarassing yourself
- Have some self-respect - respect for others around you - respect for officials that don't have it in for Hopkins and respect for opponents - you are not a superfan - you're a joke

- He better be giving a helluva lot of money to earm your apparent apathy towards this issue
- His behavior is beyond obnoxious - for the program that had such legends as Howdy Myers, Fred Smith and of course Mr. Scott - it is shameful in the lack of sportsmanship. I have to believe Bob Scott would simply not tolerate it no matter the financial impact
- Also IMO he should be stopped before the Denver game and informed of the following "Cheer for a goal as much as you want - count to your heart's content - SIng "To win..." and yell "We want more" at the top of your lungs but the first obscentiy - the first sentence that begins with Mr. Official.... that the entire sideline can hear - you are GONE
- It is an incredibly large joke to hear your PA annoucner read a sportsmanship creed and allow that behavior - if you are going to allow him to continue - it has to be reworded to allow for offensive and intimidating language and behavior because apparently it is.
His tv time was decimated last year. Since we're getting a new field, maybe ESPN can get some different shots of campus instead of those garish ones from overcast ugly days of the iron gates of AMR 1 and I forget which quad they've been using for over a decade. It's a college campus, not a correctional facility.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:16 pm I know its a complicated issue and maybe he buys this grace from the Hopkins athletic department with contributions but the #1 Hopkins A$$Hat really needs to go. THere is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that someone like him lurks through this forum so I have the following advice for him:

If he didn’t sit in Section 7, it would be a Zen experience (tree falling in a forest) for us.

But he does.

And he feeds off the attention when Carc or whomever mentions him in a broadcast. That should STOP.

Acting LOUD and OBNOXIOUS, he detracts from the game experience and yes, violates the sportsmanship values Hopkins purports to uphold.

My advice to the athletic department: RELOCATE HIM carefully.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Usually I agree with your takes HOB - but not here. The goal should be to eliminate the behavior. If you're sitting in Section 6 or 7 OR the outer reaches of general admission across the way you shouldn't have to put up with that. I think you are right in that TV attention fuels some of this but it has been going on long before Carc and Q have brought him up. I know I have recounted this story before but maybe his worst episode was AT Navy Marine Corps - incredibly embarassing for Hopkins fans - Shack scored the OT goal so this was probably 2016 maybe? It's been going on for probably 10 years or more. They made a video about him - they let him attend practices and jock sniff with all the practice gear - now they are living with it to the detriment of everyone around.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”