2024 New Rules

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

2024 New Rules

Post by AreaLax »

Reminder of 2 new rules start this season

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... view/61867

1. Additional replays reviews:
Under the new rule, a coach can use a challenge until the last four minutes of regulation. Referee discretion can be used at any time during the game. The following plays are added to the list of reviewable plays:

To determine if a loose ball crosses the goal line.
To determine if the ball was in the goal before the dislodgment of the goal cage.
To determine if an offensive player was in or landed in the crease before the ball entered the goal.
To determine if an offensive player landed in the goal mouth as a result of illegal contact by the defense before the ball entered the goal.
To determine if a goal was scored as a result of the head of the shooter's crosse coming off during the shot or follow-through.
These plays join the current list of reviewable scenarios at NCAA championships:

To correct the game and/or shot clock when there is a malfunction or timing error.
To determine if the release of a shot at the end of a period came before the expiration of time for the game clock or the shot clock.
To determine if a shot at the end of a period was deflected off a defensive or offensive player before it entered the goal.
To determine if a shot hit the camera mounted inside the goal cage.
Also under the new rule, a team will be permitted two team timeouts and one coach's challenge each half, while maintaining one timeout during any overtime period.
More descriptions can be found in the above link

2. Helmets coming of during play
The panel approved that any time a player's helmet comes off during a live ball scenario, the officials will stop play immediately.

The player will be required to leave the field of play. Play will restart once the player reaches the sidelines. The player will not be allowed back on the field until the next dead ball after the restart of play.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Re: 2024 New Rules

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

For those who want the most authoritative source: https://www.ncaa.org/playing-rules/mens ... rules-game
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

LaxLoyalist

Post by LaxLoyalist »

I really enjoy the replay feature, but I've noticed a lot of the feeds are lacking in quality, with poor resolution and frame rates. It's tough to make out the mesh, which is key to determining whether the ball was released from the stick before possession ended or before it entered the crease. I believe establishing a minimum standard for replay quality is essential; otherwise, the replay review doesn't offer much benefit.
LaxLoyalist

Post by LaxLoyalist »

I enjoy the replay reviews, but I've noticed a lot of the feeds are lacking in quality, with poor resolution and frame rates. It's tough to make out the mesh, which is key to determining whether the ball was released from the stick before possession ended or before the shooter entered the crease. I believe establishing a minimum standard for replay quality is essential; otherwise, the replay review doesn't offer much benefit.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I was flipping around games yesterday and came across the High Point/Mercer game. As I turned it on, the play had just stopped. Mercer was had been on an emo and had just scored. This was the first goal of the third qtr. the play stopped and the officials reviewed the play. The goal was unassisted from away from the crease. The clock was not running out. The announcers were suggesting the review was for a high hit away from the ball. Then I lost connection and didn’t see what happened.

Why would there be a review of a play for a hit? (No helmets came off). There was no question about a shot being released for play clock expired. And no one was near the crease.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Can coaches challenge when a team is off sides and refs miss it?
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

NO, even if a goal is scored

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”