Virginia 6A 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
MyLongStick

Re: Virginia 6A 2019

Post by MyLongStick »

sguy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:50 pm
MyLongStick wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:38 pm
sguy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:18 pm mylongstick

Sad, you sound educated. But I am perplexed as to why my gender is of importance here.

THIS particular list was the collaborative effort of 5 coaches representing over 200 kids. Each coach goes into the meeting fighting for players who they deem are "Great" contributors to their teams. Each year, they leave the meeting irritated that they could not get more their players recognized. Its how the system works. So they do have kids that are in fact great contributors to their teams who go without recognition. The fact that you need to twist that statement into a "participation award" is just trolling.
I'm assuming you're a mom because of your "everybody's a great player" sentiment. It's very mom-ish.

Great contributor doesnt equate to great player.

Kids can practice and play hard, be coachabe and have great attitudes. Maybe play "out of position and not complain. All great contributions to the team.

But it doesn't magically make them great players.
The fact that you can't acknowledge that kids can be great players EVEN if they are not on this list is just weird. There a boys being recruited to play in college that are not on the list.

You sound like my wife when she is "right". So I will give you the proper response for the situation and move on with my day. "Yes Dear"
I can guarantee you that there are very, very few kids from that conference/district who could even be considered great. Solid, yes, great no.
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

I wasn't going to chime in, but as a "Mom" or female, the gender typecasting is not cool. You make us sound like bleeding heart ' half-time orange cutting' Mommies running to the field with a band-aid, ha ha! I take offense to that one...it's a little Robert Duvall'ish in Kicking and Screaming. As far as the list goes, as a former teacher I see both sides of this one. Sometimes, the honorable mentions can begin to seem like a "give everyone an award" stretch. I agree with one of the posts, that FOGO should have it's own category. Or maybe define what the player did on the field. I would ask that you please keep the gender stereotypes in the 1950's where they belong. :)
Last edited by JMlacrosse on Thu May 09, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sguy

Post by sguy »

JMlacrosse wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:55 pm I wasn't going to chime in, but as a "Mom" or female, the gender typecasting is not cool. You make us sound like bleeding heart ' half-time orange cutting' Mommies running to the field with a band-aid, ha ha! I take offense to that one...it's a little Robert Duvall'ish in Kicking and Screaming. As far as the list goes, as a former teacher I see both sides of this one. Sometimes, the honorable mentions can begin to seem like a "give everyone an award" stretch. I agree with one of the posts, that FOGO should have it's own category. Or maybe define what the player did on the field. This year my son was both our faceoff and midfield, so I see what that blogger was saying. Not that it really matters in the end though...Ok, that's my two cents. I ask that you please keep the gender stereotypes in the 1950's where they belong. :)
Sincere apologies for the "Yes Dear", my spouse does not always think it is sincere for some reason.

Btw - Great Season, look forward to our boys playing this Friday.
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

Ha ha! I'd answer to "Yes Dear" any day of the week. The "Mom" cliche I can do without....either way, thanks and see you Friday!
Last edited by JMlacrosse on Thu May 09, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Full disclosure, it's hard to tell sometimes with this new breed of "men" populating our neighborhoods.

My apologies if that hurts, and/or offends anybody's feelings.

Did I do that correctly?
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

Liberty 2019 All-Conference.jpg
Liberty 2019 All-Conference.jpg (109.51 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
On that note, let's move on..Liberty District All Conference Team.
sguy

Post by sguy »

MyLongStick wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:21 pm Full disclosure, it's hard to tell sometimes with this new breed of "men" populating our neighborhoods.

My apologies if that hurts, and/or offends anybody's feelings.

Did I do that correctly?
Yes dear.
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

We can move on now...
Last edited by JMlacrosse on Thu May 09, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

JMlacrosse wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:52 pm MyLongStick: Not sure what the new breed of "men" means? :?:

To be straight, I'm not HURT by any of your Mom comments. Offended may have been a stretch too. But, just so you know, you're stuck in the 70's in a leisure suit when you say something like that. Enough said. We can move on now...
Sure thing. I will move on in my leisure suit if you will get back into the kitchen.

Say hello to your husband in the skinny jeans and flips too.
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

Come on! Enough....let's just be friends. ;)
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

All of the emotion and insults aside, I do think this list is excessive, and always has been. I mean, almost every starter on every good team is recognized, and even backups. One team had 16 players recognized. Every goalie in the Liberty, and all but 1 in the Concorde got some form of recognition. One team had 4 defensemen honored in the 1st and second team, and 4 LSM's as well. Basically, just listing anyone who contributed at that point.

Determining the elite players for these awards will always be hard, but I'd argue that the coaches are diminishing the accomplishments of the all players and taking the easy way out by awarding so many awards. So, while every area is free to do whatever they would like, and certainly does no harm to me, don't be surprised when others look at these as participation awards.
Cuseplayer1

Post by Cuseplayer1 »

Doid23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 pm All of the emotion and insults aside, I do think this list is excessive, and always has been. I mean, almost every starter on every good team is recognized, and even backups. One team had 16 players recognized. Every goalie in the Liberty, and all but 1 in the Concorde got some form of recognition. One team had 4 defensemen honored in the 1st and second team, and 4 LSM's as well. Basically, just listing anyone who contributed at that point.

Determining the elite players for these awards will always be hard, but I'd argue that the coaches are diminishing the accomplishments of the all players and taking the easy way out by awarding so many awards. So, while every area is free to do whatever they would like, and certainly does no harm to me, don't be surprised when others look at these as participation awards.
It’s very easy to determine the elite players. I would consider the players who received 1st team “elite”.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Not sure this is a 6A problem, but in lowly 5A we only get to play one other 5A and one other 6A in the regular season. Their combined records were 23-3 when we played them. Beat them both. But since all district and all regional players are coach voted in, and they don’t see us, we get no players voted in.

So hard to cry for you getting too many players voted in.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Cuseplayer1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:30 pm
Doid23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 pm All of the emotion and insults aside, I do think this list is excessive, and always has been. I mean, almost every starter on every good team is recognized, and even backups. One team had 16 players recognized. Every goalie in the Liberty, and all but 1 in the Concorde got some form of recognition. One team had 4 defensemen honored in the 1st and second team, and 4 LSM's as well. Basically, just listing anyone who contributed at that point.

It’s very easy to determine the elite players. I would consider the players who received 1st team “elite”.
The District teams are really not that big of an issue with not separating elite players when we also have all region and all state honors as well as WP All Met and AA, and Under Armor teams, there will also now be a PLL sponsored U17 and U15 national team. I think a good HS player is hard to miss in the information age. I did like it back in the olden days when the VA HS all star team actually played in an All Star game. Best of all, we got participation medals!! We used to pin them on our jackets and it looked really cool.
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

It's nice to see these players recognized for their hard work. Yes, you will find the better players on first team but there are some high quality players on 2nd team and many of them are underclassmen, so you can watch them ascend each year. If you are looking for the elite, wait a couple weeks as the all region and all-state selections are announced. For now, let's pay tribute to these fine gents in their respective conferences. :)
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

JMlacrosse wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:35 pm Come on! Enough....let's just be friends. ;)
Sure thing. See you tomorrow.
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

:D Nice! This Mama is looking forward to it! Lol. Truce! 8-) And, congrats to players recognized in the Districts! Hard work pays off.
Last edited by JMlacrosse on Thu May 09, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

Friday Night Under The Lights Conference Semi predictions:

Robo 10 West Springfield 6
Madison 12 Chantilly 8
Oakton 9 Westfield 8
SoCo 7 Woodson 5
South Lakes 8 McLean 5
Langley 7 Yorktown 6

Lace 'em up! :D
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Concorde District LSM category is goofy. Those are FOGOs and SSDMs. And there are top LSMs (Robertson and Hanton, for example) who are listed as Defense.

Agree on the excessive awarding. One Liberty school placed four A in the first two teams, as well as 7 middies across all three teams for another school. A couple years ago, a team went winless in Liberty conference and still placed TWO goalies on Honorable Mention.
Last edited by JustPassingThrough on Mon May 13, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

The lists are created by the coaches and determined by the coaches as a way to recognize their players. Why is anyone complaining, especially posters who brag of the good old days and don't have any players participating now? Very few of the players are running around bragging about being "first team all conference." Most HS coaches are not interested in "participation" trophies and present statistics to justify their picks. So again, if there are too many, blame the coaches but understand they are recognizing the accomplishments of their players. As a side note, I know of at least one former All State player who chose academics over playing in college and several players who were not first team selections who are having successful careers playing in college.

The old Laxpower and this new message board are more fun when the discussion is focused on game recaps (we can't see all of the games) and predictions. Good luck to everyone in the conference and region playoffs . Hopefully this year has as many good games as prior years. Looking forward to some upsets as coaches/players make adjustments vs the regular season. And players, check those sticks before you are in a big game.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”