Newsom vs DeSantis

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Newsom vs DeSantis

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:55 am Wow....this guy would make a great POTUS. Laughs at everything, fidget when asked tough questions, looks the other way for support and an out. Clearly not much going on in there:

https://x.com/sfironicle/status/1707143 ... 29223?s=20
Young mayor days. Would you agree that he's matured since then?

Did you watch his interview with Hannity?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:14 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:55 am Wow....this guy would make a great POTUS. Laughs at everything, fidget when asked tough questions, looks the other way for support and an out. Clearly not much going on in there:

If learning how to disguise narcissism is maturity, then sure.

Nope. When I hear Hannity's voice I have to walk away.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:21 am

I feel you re Hannity. ;)

Just interesting to see Newsom handle himself in a hostile environment.

I don't know whether Newsom is narcissistic, but certainly many politicians who are successful have high ego needs.

Of the Dems younger bench, I think Mayor Pete is the smartest, most articulate of the crowd. Of the Governors, I like Gretchen Whitmer more than Newsom, but Newsom has some communication chops and is clearly willing to take his views directly into the face of the opposition. Josh Shapiro has impressed but I wouldn't sub him in for 2024. All 4 are pretty moderate on the progressive side of the scale.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:30 am

I don't know whether Newsom is narcissistic, but certainly many politicians who are successful have high ego needs.

Of the Dems younger bench, I think Mayor Pete is the smartest, most articulate of the crowd. Of the Governors, I like Gretchen Whitmer more than Newsom, but Newsom has some communication chops and is clearly willing to take his views directly into the face of the opposition. Josh Shapiro has impressed but I wouldn't sub him in for 2024. All 4 are pretty moderate on the progressive side of the scale.
The problem with Newsom is he has expedited his state into becoming a 3rd world nation. The logic here is by being a complete and utter failure as Governor of the State of California that now qualifies you to be POTUS. FTR, and keep this a secret y'all... Newsom has said some flattering and positive things about trump during the COVID pandemic when he was begging for money from the federal government. Shhhhhh don't let that out. :D
Poor ole MD lax will spend days trying to put his own classic negative spin on that. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:54 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:30 am

The problem with Newsom is he has expedited his state into becoming a 3rd world nation. The logic here is by being a complete and utter failure as Governor of the State of California that now qualifies you to be POTUS. FTR, and keep this a secret y'all... Newsom has said some flattering and positive things about trump during the COVID pandemic when he was begging for money from the federal government. Shhhhhh don't let that out. :D
Poor ole MD lax will spend days trying to put his own classic negative spin on that. ;)
much as Christie thanked Obama.
Yup, that's the job...governing is not supposed to be partisan.

California is a "3rd world nation"???

Might want to check some facts.

If California was a country, it'd be the 5th largest in the world, and has a GDP per capita of $92k, which if a country would be 6th in the world with only much smaller economies higher. Oh yeah, way higher than the average of the US. Below NY, above Texas. Way, way above most states. Also 6th highest per capita income in US, way, way higher than most states.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:36 pm This is not only J's teaching, this applies to most every "higher power" belief system on earth. I agree with the half underlined and disagree on the other half of your comment I bolded. And this is where it gets twisted in with you and MDlax. You believe all R's just want no gov't and riches and MD thinks MAGA's are all criminals. I am saying the "MAGA" crowd only wants the underlined portion and could care less about riches.....just leave me and my family alone.
Yeah, but that's a full on lie, YA. You don't want the Government out of the way. Republicans want .gov services for them, and don't want anyone else to get their services.

-why do most American Conservatives attend State Universities if they think .gov is bad, and should be small?

-why do most American Conservatives use .gov services for their entertainment? How big is SEC football, or Texas HS football? Those are entirely government teams, YA. So.....you guys are in DENIAL on a national level about your both liking, and being DEPENDENT on the .gov.

-we have three posters here who have told us they are Republicans. Two of them, are admitted Federal contractors. They other? His entire career has been working for the Federal government, and then after retiring, he farmed out his consulting services for Federal contractors, eating at the Federal trough.

....do you not see how hypocritical this is? You guys pretend like the University of Virginia "doesn't count as government", and then yell at other citizens and call them lefties if they avail themselves of government services. It's really annoying.

-and EVERY TIME your party gets into power? How many times have i told you what happens? Out comes the checkbook.....except it's 100% borrowed money. You're like a bunch of spoiled chidlren----you want the services, and you want to ignore that mommy bought that ice cream for you, and worse, want to ignore that mommy took out a loan to buy you the ice cream.

And now here we are, yet again....with YOUR PARTY refusing to pay the bill for the ice cream cone you bought YEARS ago, and want to stamp your feet, and make "someone else" pay for your ice cream.

When the F are you guys gonna buy your own d*mn ice cream cone? Or better yet, don't buy the ice cream!!!

1953. 1953 was the last time your team cut spending. And you're on here claiming your party wants "government out of the way". Do you not get how full-on filbert you sound when you make this claim?

And that's just the money-----your Party also wants the .gov to ban books, keep drag queens from reading to kids who DESPERATELY need better reading skills, and a whole raft of other things you want the .gov to keep your fellow citizens from doing.

And all of this while you're upset that our Justice system is holding Trump accountable for breaking laws....yet at the same time, are beside yourself over some petty criminals shoplifting. You want your team to break all the laws they want...and want anyone who isn't a Republican shot on sight for breaking laws, and don't understand why anyone would point this irony out to you all. ;)

Last thought: I've told you this MANY times. If Republicans actually did what they claimed to stand for? I'd be a card carrying member.

-pay for what you get from the .gov. Balanced budget.
-keep government out of your lives. This means things like keeping politicians out of our libraries, and letting anyone who's good enough to read to kids to do just that in a public space.
-invest infrastructure above all else
-invest in our people behind that. These things have a ROI.

You chaps get the above train back on the tracks? Sign me up as a Republican. But you are DECADES from doing that....and have chosen to stop governing, stop paying bills, and just sell fear and clickbait conspiracy theories. Hard pass, my man. And nope, I'm not joining the Dems, either. Happy to run down the reasons for that, too, if you'd like.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:36 pm
This is not only J's teaching, this applies to most every "higher power" belief system on earth. I agree with the half underlined and disagree on the other half of your comment I bolded. And this is where it gets twisted in with you and MDlax. You believe all R's just want no gov't and riches and MD thinks MAGA's are all criminals. I am saying the "MAGA" crowd only wants the underlined portion and could care less about riches.....just leave me and my family alone.
That's a pretty dumb statement. You're better than that.

No, I don't think all MAGA are criminals...but they all Do give a pass for rampant criminality and corruption if it benefits their MAGA interests. Supporting Trump is per se support of criminality and corruption, personal, business and governmental.

That doesn't make them criminals themselves, but it does raise the question as to what it is that they find so appealing about MAGA ideology or what they find so threatening about multicultural democracy as to be willing to defend and support Trumpism, what Milley just called "a wannabe dictator".

Obviously not all R's want no government (I'm an R, Romney is an R, etc), but the Bannon/MAGA ideology is to destroy democratic government so that a strong man rule will ascend so as to achieve full government control of our lives as MAGA sees fit. And we see this authoritarian impulse playing out at various state levels with abortion bans and all sorts of other bans based on gender and sexual preference.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:56 pm No, I don't think all MAGA are criminals...but they all Do give a pass for rampant criminality and corruption if it benefits their MAGA interests.
And hilariously, pointing at "anyone else" breaking laws, and demanding law and order.

Except for folks on "their team". They're special.

They think BLM was lying and insane for telling their fellow Americans that the Justice system isn't working for them-----yet at the same time, believe without question that the FBI, DoJ, and IRS isn't working for them. Wait....what? :roll:

You'd think that they'd welcome BLM to their party with open arms saying: "welcome aboard, we think the Justice system isn't working, either".

:lol: Nope. And I've yet to have a Forum Republican explain how this works in their minds. I don't get it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:18 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:56 pm No, I don't think all MAGA are criminals...but they all Do give a pass for rampant criminality and corruption if it benefits their MAGA interests.
And hilariously, pointing at "anyone else" breaking laws, and demanding law and order.

Except for folks on "their team". They're special.

They think BLM was lying and insane for telling their fellow Americans that the Justice system isn't working for them-----yet at the same time, believe without question that the FBI, DoJ, and IRS isn't working for them. Wait....what? :roll:

You'd think that they'd welcome BLM to their party with open arms saying: "welcome aboard, we think the Justice system isn't working, either".

:lol: Nope. And I've yet to have a Forum Republican explain how this works in their minds. I don't get it.
"cult" is the only explanation for MAGA logic.

And, it's a cult based on fear and anger re the "Other", a desire to control others (but not me and mine) at any cost...At its most basic, fascism.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:07 pm
Jumbo wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:31 pm What part “MAGA” do you disagree with.
Who are you asking? Pretty clear from multiple years of posts what most posters views of MAGA dominated GOP means.

For instance, I’m a lifelong Republican who has described my views in great detail. Disgusted might be a good single word.
Just another dipshit thinking their clever and playing the same game they all play. They’ll never define what was empirically probably great about the past because that requires accepting and acknowledging nasty stuff. So instead they try to make others say things that do reflect the broad culture of that movement but since it’s not literally stated in the four letters they can play a game that your crazy and making things up.

It’s the stupidest conversational game one can play. Some do it around here from time to time.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:07 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:33 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:45 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:49 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:16 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:24 pm Those of us who do not want to see Trump become President again should ask ourselves why his support remains so high.
imho -- it's because millions of citizens reject the things his opponents are trying to impose upon us.
It's not some dark fascist, white, christian, nationalist conspiracy. They so distrust Trump's opponents that they still support Trump, notwithstanding his faults.
Mostly because they're told to. Not because they can articulate why. And most of the stuff isn't even true to begin with.

The media is effective at driving the outrage machine. Makes the most $$$

And yes, most people supporting Trump aren't overtly fascist white Christian Nationalists. But almost all of of the fascist white Christian Nationalists are very much Trump supporters. And some of them are in Congress.
And the first step to that authoritarian takeover is to destroy all notion and trust in governing through democratic processes...they've given up on solving problems with democracy because they know they can't achieve honest majorities in support of policies that are unpopular.

Bannon explained their ideology quite clearly.

Salty, what exactly are those "things (his opponents) are trying to impose upon us"?

I'm in the "his opponents" category, what do I want to "impose upon us" that is so objectionable?

Seriously....what's so awful?

Wanna bet it's mostly to do with multicultural inclusion?
Gender equity? women's rights? Choice?

DeSantis..6 week abortion ban, book bans, Disney, immigrant busing... fascist...sure, he ain't Trump, but he's definitely playing to the same white christian fascist crowd that's all in for Trump now. He sure as heck isn't trying for my vote.
So how is democracy suppose to now be defined? Republicans and Democrats can no longer even agree on that anymore. It is no wonder why more Americans are turning their back on both of these sorry ass obsolete political parties. They are no longer relevant in our everyday lives. The nations debt is now 33 trillion dollars. Time to switch the topic back to the southern border catastrophe and hope nobody notices.
IMO, the end goal is "Neutral Morality" via removing "Objective Truths", all in the name pandering for votes, money, and power. Humans are designed to have inner-peace. While worldly things only offer temporary peace; like votes, power, money, sex, cars, homes, boats, large bank accounts, etc. When we aimlessly roam earth searching for contentment, peace, with zero fear of dying, while alternatively chasing the aforementioned material and temporary pleasures in life, you will become tired and authentically unsatisfied.

The Bible has a verse that sums it all up. " And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Not a sermon, just a thought.
“Humans are designed to have inner-peace.”

Really? Designed? By whom?

I would argue that humans are prone, due to behaviors that favored survival (hyper-awareness, suspicion, fear) to not experiencing inner peace, which is why it is sought by so many.

Just a thought.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_and_Nothingness
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “POLITICS”