W&L 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxguy703

Re: W&L 2023

Post by Laxguy703 »

GeneralBart wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:57 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:59 am
GeneralBart wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:25 am
The only suggestion that I made was that last year was the most productive offense W&L has ever had.
Really?? Maybe in the D3 era. Hard to compare with the ‘74 team.
Let’s not compare teams to 50 years ago. Let’s just say the 2023 team would beat the 74 team 😂.
[/quote]

I guess you did not see the teams of the ‘70’s. The’74 team had 3 HOF players and a HOF coach. That is the US Lax HOF, not the W&L HOF. The goalie won the C Maryland Kelly award. The team had 7 D1 AA’s. They played in the D1 semifinals, losing to the eventual champ by a goal. With all due respect, I don’t think any of the ‘23 players are headed to the lacrosse HOF.
[/quote]

The old heads won’t like this take, but the 2023 W&L team would kill the 1974 team. It’s not a knock on the 1974 W&L team. Sports evolve and equipment evolves. The sticks they use now a days have the ability to pass and shoot with insane accuracy while also making it nearly impossible to take the ball away from the player.

Players today also have better access to film, training resources, and nutrition. The game is just so much faster and more skilled now due to all of the factors above. Put Brennan O’Neill in the late 1900’s and he’s putting up 150 points.

If the 1974 team grew up in this era and had access to all of equipment and training resources then it would obviously be a different story.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am The only suggestion that I made was that last year was the most productive offense W&L has ever had.
Let’s not compare teams to 50 years ago. Let’s just say the 2023 team would beat the 74 team 😂.
I guess you did not see the teams of the ‘70’s. The’74 team had 3 HOF players and a HOF coach. That is the US Lax HOF, not the W&L HOF. The goalie won the C Maryland Kelly award. The team had 7 D1 AA’s. They played in the D1 semifinals, losing to the eventual champ by a goal. With all due respect, I don’t think any of the ‘23 players are headed to the lacrosse HOF.
With the amount of ink he’s getting on here, I could see the current DC getting inducted into the *FanLax* HOF.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:50 pm
The only suggestion that I made was that last year was the most productive offense W&L has ever had.
[/quote]

The old heads won’t like this take, but the 2023 W&L team would kill the 1974 team. It’s not a knock on the 1974 W&L team. Sports evolve and equipment evolves. The sticks they use now a days have the ability to pass and shoot with insane accuracy while also making it nearly impossible to take the ball away from the player.

Players today also have better access to film, training resources, and nutrition. The game is just so much faster and more skilled now due to all of the factors above. Put Brennan O’Neill in the late 1900’s and he’s putting up 150 points.

If the 1974 team grew up in this era and had access to all of equipment and training resources then it would obviously be a different story.
[/quote]
Interesting take but I would ask give todays guys 1970’s equipment and rules and who do you think wins?
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Asgot wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:28 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:50 pm

[/quote]
Interesting take but I would ask give todays guys 1970’s equipment and rules and who do you think wins?
[/quote]

I played lax in the late late 70’s and into the 80’s. My high school team had 7 D1 kids (that I can remember). Not one of them would make a D1 team or top D3 team of today. The talent pool back then was no where near todays talent. And the keep getting better. Just look at highlight videos of 28’s 29’s and 30’s. Some of these kids are doing things that high school kids (from a decade ago) were not doing.

As for your second comment. Lax back in the 70’s and 80’s was significantly more physical than todays game. Not sure how todays kids would handle that.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:48 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am The only suggestion that I made was that last year was the most productive offense W&L has ever had.
With the amount of ink he’s getting on here, I could see the current DC getting inducted into the *FanLax* HOF.
More like whatever the opposite of a HOF is, if ever there was such a thing. Resume looks good at first glance, but a closer examination and the experience just isn’t there. Guy may just be in over his head with live-action coaching.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am
Asgot wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:29 am I think with all of this returning talent the coaching staff will really have to step up their game. I actually thought that the talent on the defensive side of the field made up for some mediocre defensive coaching. I know that their goalie situation was fluid but they had talent on the defensive side of the ball the DC should have found a way to protect their freshman goalie better. What is the answer as Seeds is done and you are left in the same place or worse. I agree with the assessment that there ssdm are talented, but I am not sure how long it will take to replace Hubbard who was an immense talent.

Sorry, but this team is no where near the offensive team that Tufts or CNU are and while they could be the are losing a big piece plus a couple of other valuable pieces
Im not sure I’d agree that the defensive scheme was mediocre. In games vs York and Denison for example the defensive had to completely change game plans because Boyd had save percentages of 11% and 0% in the first half. The W&L defense allowed 9 shots on goal and 8 shots on goal respectively in those first halves. They did that and allowed 2 goals to York and held them to 4 shots in the second half, and 1 goal to Denison in the second half, and won those games. Are you suggesting the defense should have been so good as to not allow any shots on goal to protect Boyd? I watched everyone of those games. I’m not sure what you want a defensive coach to do to protect their goalie, might you offer a scheme suggestion?

I never suggested they were as talented as Tufts or CNU. They are not. They had one of the most productive unsettled offenses in the country. I did say that they shared the ball second only to Tufts. That is true, they were second in the nation in assists. The only suggestion that I made was that last year was the most productive offense W&L has ever had. It should also be noted that over 100 points came from defensive personnel. Their 6v6 offense got better but still leaves much to be desired, they return 5/6 there but were blanked a number of times and were overly reliant on unsettled.

Agree on Hubbard. It’s nice to have a defender that can be left on an island. They have some good athletes on the bench, I don’t know if they have a player capable of being left alone for an entire season just waiting in the wings.

Perhaps that last point leads to this question. 2023 W&L was very resilient. A number of close come from behind wins. They often found somebody to make a play when needed. So how do they recreate that element in 2024 or better how do they avoid being in a hole constantly in 2024?
It is interesting that you throw the Freshman goalie under the bus like that while at the same time admitting that the staff had to change game plans in multiple games. Obviously, InsiderRoll is very tuned into the program but I hope that his statement is not a reflection of what is being said by the staff or players because that type of language can be very divisive, Fortunately, he is only a fan and can say what he wants
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:20 am
More like whatever the opposite of a HOF is, if ever there was such a thing. Resume looks good at first glance, but a closer examination and the experience just isn’t there. Guy may just be in over his head with live-action coaching.

I have had this conversation with some of the HOF players and others who were either AAs or just great team players. Specifically, HOF players, before his untimely death, Tommy Keigler and I discussed this at the old Wilson Field, a bit. Keigs told me, he believed he could compete with today's athletes if he had the same equipment, and I agree. He ran all day long during a game, not many could keep up with him, yesterday, or today., I believe Skip Litchfuss could compete with generational players on any level, he was a complete athlete, he also was an AA in basketball. I think Rob Lindsey could compete with today's athletes (ask JHU's Jack Thomas), he was another 2 sport athlete, lettering in football as well. I believe Skeet Chadwick could play goalie in any era. Now, when it comes to the Mayor, Ace Englehart, he believes today's lacrosse players are much bigger, faster and stronger and I think he could compete too, but keep in mind, he was crease man back in the day, primarily. And, Sam is a big guy. Teddy Bauer was a FO guy and first line midfield, and he could do well today as an offensive middie but I think because he was great offenseive threat, those skills outweighed being a FO guys so he would not play that today.

The 1973 or 1974 Jack Emmer teams, with the same equipment, could compete very well with today's players. I do not believe that they would have as good a chance at the NC today, as the 1974 team had back then. Overall, I think today's players have the edge as Ace said, bigger, faster, stronger.

Finally, I think the players back in the day would out drink today's players because, let's face it, that was part of the environment. W&L and Zollman's pavilion are forever linked with trashcans full of "jungle juice" in the Spring :-).

My 2 cents.

valaxfan
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

I was there for those great teams in the 70’s and could not agree more with the above post. Can you imagine how much harder the Bauer “crank” would be with current equipment?
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

valaxfan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:43 pm

I have had this conversation with some of the HOF players and others who were either AAs or just great team players. Specifically, HOF players, before his untimely death, Tommy Keigler and I discussed this at the old Wilson Field, a bit. Keigs told me, he believed he could compete with today's athletes if he had the same equipment, and I agree. He ran all day long during a game, not many could keep up with him, yesterday, or today., I believe Skip Litchfuss could compete with generational players on any level, he was a complete athlete, he also was an AA in basketball. I think Rob Lindsey could compete with today's athletes (ask JHU's Jack Thomas), he was another 2 sport athlete, lettering in football as well. I believe Skeet Chadwick could play goalie in any era. Now, when it comes to the Mayor, Ace Englehart, he believes today's lacrosse players are much bigger, faster and stronger and I think he could compete too, but keep in mind, he was crease man back in the day, primarily. And, Sam is a big guy. Teddy Bauer was a FO guy and first line midfield, and he could do well today as an offensive middie but I think because he was great offenseive threat, those skills outweighed being a FO guys so he would not play that today.

The 1973 or 1974 Jack Emmer teams, with the same equipment, could compete very well with today's players. I do not believe that they would have as good a chance at the NC today, as the 1974 team had back then. Overall, I think today's players have the edge as Ace said, bigger, faster, stronger.

Finally, I think the players back in the day would out drink today's players because, let's face it, that was part of the environment. W&L and Zollman's pavilion are forever linked with trashcans full of "jungle juice" in the Spring :-).

My 2 cents.

valaxfan
So you are saying they were better skilled, more athletic, and consumed more alcohol during the season. Gotcha.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Asgot wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:53 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am
Asgot wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:29 am I think with all of this returning talent the coaching staff will really have to step up their game. I actually thought that the talent on the defensive side of the field made up for some mediocre defensive coaching. I know that their goalie situation was fluid but they had talent on the defensive side of the ball the DC should have found a way to protect their freshman goalie better. What is the answer as Seeds is done and you are left in the same place or worse. I agree with the assessment that there ssdm are talented, but I am not sure how long it will take to replace Hubbard who was an immense talent.

Sorry, but this team is no where near the offensive team that Tufts or CNU are and while they could be the are losing a big piece plus a couple of other valuable pieces
Im not sure I’d agree that the defensive scheme was mediocre. In games vs York and Denison for example the defensive had to completely change game plans because Boyd had save percentages of 11% and 0% in the first half. The W&L defense allowed 9 shots on goal and 8 shots on goal respectively in those first halves. They did that and allowed 2 goals to York and held them to 4 shots in the second half, and 1 goal to Denison in the second half, and won those games. Are you suggesting the defense should have been so good as to not allow any shots on goal to protect Boyd? I watched everyone of those games. I’m not sure what you want a defensive coach to do to protect their goalie, might you offer a scheme suggestion?

I never suggested they were as talented as Tufts or CNU. They are not. They had one of the most productive unsettled offenses in the country. I did say that they shared the ball second only to Tufts. That is true, they were second in the nation in assists. The only suggestion that I made was that last year was the most productive offense W&L has ever had. It should also be noted that over 100 points came from defensive personnel. Their 6v6 offense got better but still leaves much to be desired, they return 5/6 there but were blanked a number of times and were overly reliant on unsettled.

Agree on Hubbard. It’s nice to have a defender that can be left on an island. They have some good athletes on the bench, I don’t know if they have a player capable of being left alone for an entire season just waiting in the wings.

Perhaps that last point leads to this question. 2023 W&L was very resilient. A number of close come from behind wins. They often found somebody to make a play when needed. So how do they recreate that element in 2024 or better how do they avoid being in a hole constantly in 2024?
It is interesting that you throw the Freshman goalie under the bus like that while at the same time admitting that the staff had to change game plans in multiple games. Obviously, InsiderRoll is very tuned into the program but I hope that his statement is not a reflection of what is being said by the staff or players because that type of language can be very divisive, Fortunately, he is only a fan and can say what he wants
Indeed, it is rather shortsighted. But in his defense, Insider likely sees the minimal “boots on the ground” defensive coaching experience, and realizes that the ceiling only goes so high. It is what it is. Losing all of their captains will also likely expand on the growing leadership void.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:40 pm
valaxfan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:43 pm

My 2 cents.

valaxfan
So you are saying they were better skilled, more athletic, and consumed more alcohol during the season. Gotcha.
I think the takeaway is that past HOF players, and the great 73 and 74 teams, could compete today, with today's equipment, and some HOF players could be some of the very best players today. But, I also said, today's players are bigger, faster, and stronger. And yes, back in the day, its my belief WE ALL consumed more alcohol, before and after lax games having played lax back then, and been around teams and players today before games, and after them.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Faxlax wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:24 pm I was there for those great teams in the 70’s and could not agree more with the above post. Can you imagine how much harder the Bauer “crank” would be with current equipment?
Agree totally on Teddy B. I was at the 15-11 Generals win over UVA in 1973, believe it was Mock Convention weekend, some 5,000 plus at Wilson Field, Lexington, VA when the Bauer "crank" was on full display from the restraining line, no less. Teddy was magical with his shots and I believe he had 5 goals that day.

valafan

NOTE: Years later I spoke to R. Rullman, UVA goalie back then, and he admitted on 2 of the goals, or cranks, he never say the ball until it was in the back of the net.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

valaxfan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:20 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:40 pm So you are saying they were better skilled, more athletic, and consumed more alcohol during the season. Gotcha.
I think the takeaway is that past HOF players, and the great 73 and 74 teams, could compete today, with today's equipment, and some HOF players could be some of the very best players today. But, I also said, today's players are bigger, faster, and stronger. And yes, back in the day, its my belief WE ALL consumed more alcohol, before and after lax games having played lax back then, and been around teams and players today before games, and after them.

valaxfan
Intergenerational talent comparisons are always fun, and filled with X factors. In the old days of the NHL those were some tough SOBs, complete with intermission cigars and beers. NHL today is still gritty compared to the other sports leagues. And like them, I’m sure lacrosse players of old with today’s gear, could likely hang- an athlete is an athlete.

BUT, here is a caveat for each side of this comparison;

Old timers playing today- some personalities just aren’t built for that level of control, focus, pressure and time devotion. Imagine taking a guy who is used to pounding a beer or three on the way to the game, and have a coach lay out “night before” rules. How long is he sticking around on the team? I’m sure everyone here has known someone that was a fantastic player, but didn’t quite do the whole “practice” thing to the level that the coaches wanted.

Today’s players playing back then- imagine a player of today taking a two hander with a crooked arrow across the forearms, or some of the “playful initiations” of old, or the “tough love coaching techniques” being utilized on today’s youth and with today’s parents… good luck.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Valid points. But the main point I would make is the sport was not well know. W&L is in VA. many high schools in VA didn’t even have lacrosse offered in the 70’s and 80’s. The talent pool was not deep. Could some of the top players from the 70’s compete vs today’s athletes? Sure. But the depth of todays teams are stacked from top to bottom. Todays teams are more conditioned and the game moves faster.
If you took a tram from the 70’s and played a team from today, it wouldn’t be close. But could you take athletes from the 70’s, place them on a fall team of today, and have them ready to start in spring on some top teams. Sure.

Any doubt, just look at a roster from the 70’s. I bet you won’t find many teams with more than 25-30 players. And once you get past the top 10 players, the talent probably dropped off fast.
Todays teams range around a roster size of 50, and the bottom 10 kids were all probably studs on their high school team
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:49 pm
valaxfan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:20 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:40 pm So you are saying they were better skilled, more athletic, and consumed more alcohol during the season. Gotcha.

valaxfan
Intergenerational talent comparisons are always fun, and filled with X factors. In the old days of the NHL those were some tough SOBs, complete with intermission cigars and beers. NHL today is still gritty compared to the other sports leagues. And like them, I’m sure lacrosse players of old with today’s gear, could likely hang- an athlete is an athlete.

BUT, here is a caveat for each side of this comparison;

Old timers playing today- some personalities just aren’t built for that level of control, focus, pressure and time devotion. Imagine taking a guy who is used to pounding a beer or three on the way to the game, and have a coach lay out “night before” rules. How long is he sticking around on the team? I’m sure everyone here has known someone that was a fantastic player, but didn’t quite do the whole “practice” thing to the level that the coaches wanted.

Today’s players playing back then- imagine a player of today taking a two hander with a crooked arrow across the forearms, or some of the “playful initiations” of old, or the “tough love coaching techniques” being utilized on today’s youth and with today’s parents… good luck.
I'm just ecstatic to be able to sway the conversation, just a bit, away from comments to posts by our Gennies Fan, InsiderRoll, and a break from his in-depth analysis that seems to draw comments from many in lax solar system, LOL. And, quite honestly, I think InsiderRoll makes some outstanding points, and I am not sure why he receives the treatment he does, but at least for a short time, the discussion swayed and I think laxjackattack, RE6ULATOR, GeneralBart, Faxlax, and Deeppocket, have some outstanding points made about the old vs new players today.

At any time, if anyone wants to contact me by message, I would love to meet you, maybe at a game, and discuss lax. I pride myself on being very fair about my opinions, just ask my 3 sons, now grown men, how fair I was when I coached them for some 14 years in various sports, as they grew up. I don't hide behind valaxfan, I have met many laxpower posters in the past by reaching out, and many have become my lifelong friends, and that is how it should be.

valaxfan
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

valaxfan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am …InsiderRoll, and a break from his in-depth analysis that seems to draw comments from many in lax solar system, LOL. And, quite honestly, I think InsiderRoll makes some outstanding points, and I am not sure why he receives the treatment he does…

At any time, if anyone wants to contact me by message, I would love to meet you, maybe at a game, and discuss lax. I pride myself on being very fair about my opinions, just ask my 3 sons, now grown men, how fair I was when I coached them for some 14 years in various sports, as they grew up. I don't hide behind valaxfan, I have met many laxpower posters in the past by reaching out, and many have become my lifelong friends, and that is how it should be.

valaxfan
InsiderRoll does seem to have a plethora of “insider” information. Unfortunately he has a big issue with York, it is what it is, and just like all of the stats he quotes to back his opinions, the numbers don’t lie. His post count on “in-depth analysis” of W&L is rivaled only by his post count on negatives about York.

Perhaps you could ask him why he has such an issue with York, as opposed to wondering why he gets the treatment he does in response :roll:. In any event, he doesn’t seem to be around so much lately. And I don’t imagine he will be meeting up with other posters anytime soon, as I’ve kind of got the impression he is hiding behind the screen name.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:58 am
valaxfan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am …InsiderRoll, and a break from his in-depth analysis that seems to draw comments from many in lax solar system, LOL. And, quite honestly, I think InsiderRoll makes some outstanding points, and I am not sure why he receives the treatment he does…

valaxfan
InsiderRoll does seem to have a plethora of “insider” information. Unfortunately he has a big issue with York, it is what it is, and just like all of the stats he quotes to back his opinions, the numbers don’t lie. His post count on “in-depth analysis” of W&L is rivaled only by his post count on negatives about York.

Perhaps you could ask him why he has such an issue with York, as opposed to wondering why he gets the treatment he does in response :roll:. In any event, he doesn’t seem to be around so much lately. And I don’t imagine he will be meeting up with other posters anytime soon, as I’ve kind of got the impression he is hiding behind the screen name.
I would recommend you message him and you guys settle your differences privately, not in public on these forums. Anytime you are going to see the Gennies play, contact me, and I will include you in our fan base for that game, beers/cokes on me.

Thx, valaxfan
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

valaxfan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:38 pm

valaxfan

I would recommend you message him and you guys settle your differences privately, not in public on these forums. Anytime you are going to see the Gennies play, contact me, and I will include you in our fan base for that game, beers/cokes on me.

Thx, valaxfan
… why is this topic being brought back up?
Certainly not helping anyone move on IMO.

InsiderRoll has been pretty consistent with his attempts to drag down one particular program, and seems to enjoy the back and forths his attacks generate. So I don’t know that I would describe it as “the treatment he receives,” because it seems like he initiates a lot of it, and craves the ensuing discourse.

That said I agree that the high road should prevail.

I’m with you on meeting up. I’ve met other posters, and it’s always been fun. Not sure if I’m heading out to the W&L game, but if I am I’ll pm you. If you’re making the trip (I believe it’s in York), you’re welcome at my tailgate.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:40 pm

valaxfan

Thx, valaxfan

I’m with you on meeting up. I’ve met other posters, and it’s always been fun. Not sure if I’m heading out to the W&L game, but if I am I’ll pm you. If you’re making the trip (I believe it’s in York), you’re welcome at my tailgate.
Sounds good, if the Gennies play at York and I get a "pass" to go, I will pm you and meet up.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:40 pm

valaxfan

Thx, valaxfan

Sounds good, if the Gennies play at York and I get a "pass" to go, I will pm you and meet up.

valaxfan

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”