Oberlin College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Oberlin College

Post by 8meterPA »

Not a D1 school, but very interesting story developing here with the head coach. Posting here because D3 board literally has no following.
Laxfan212

Re: Oberlin College

Post by Laxfan212 »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:07 pm Not a D1 school, but very interesting story developing here with the head coach. Posting here because D3 board literally has no following.
Where is the story?
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

LOL what a bunch of trash propaganda that website is. I don’t care if you agree or don’t agree with transgender athletes in college sports but that website is ridiculous. The article is offensive and looks to be written by someone with a 5th grade education. Please.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

And they've taken the roster down from their website.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

Laxfan212 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:57 pm
LOL what a bunch of trash propaganda that website is. I don’t care if you agree or don’t agree with transgender athletes in college sports but that website is ridiculous. The article is offensive and looks to be written by someone with a 5th grade education. Please.
Let's not lose the forest through the trees. There is an eight-minute video on the site that is worth watching.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I'll go one better--how about if folks don't post D3 news on D1 boards; regardless of how many people do or don't visit that neck of the woods as a qualifier.
lax

Post by lax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:28 am I'll go one better--how about if folks don't post D3 news on D1 boards; regardless of how many people do or don't visit that neck of the woods as a qualifier.
After reading and watching, this is more than D3 news - this is women in sport news.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

lax wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:30 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:28 am I'll go one better--how about if folks don't post D3 news on D1 boards; regardless of how many people do or don't visit that neck of the woods as a qualifier.
After reading and watching, this is more than D3 news - this is women in sport news.
Is there a current issue in women’s lax with transgender women playing and/or causing some sort of problem? I don’t think so. At least for women’s lacrosse, this is an imaginary problem peiple like to get themselves worked up about, I presume for the purpose of announcing to the world their (irrelevant, hypothetical) viewpoint.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

Laxfan212 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:16 pm
Is there a current issue in women’s lax with transgender women playing and/or causing some sort of problem? I don’t think so. At least for women’s lacrosse, this is an imaginary problem peiple like to get themselves worked up about, I presume for the purpose of announcing to the world their (irrelevant, hypothetical) viewpoint.
A significant part of "college lacrosse" is "college." This issue has been front and center and discussed extensively, especially in women's college sports. It certainly was raised more than once on my daughter's team. The Oberlin mess highlights the extent to which individuals -- players, coaches, students, professors, administrators -- may voice opinions that others find distasteful. This question is a hell of a lot more important than arguing about which lefty attacker is better from X or which fifth year transfer will make a difference. The intellectual environment in which these girls spend four or more of highly formative years plays a key role in their intellectual development. Regardless of what side of this dispute one may favor, its relevance to the experience of those participating in women's college lacrosse is clear.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

This.

Also this coach is at Oberlin. Did she really think it was a great idea to put her unnecessary, gratuitous opinion out there on this topic given where she works?
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

lax410 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:45 pm
This.

Also this coach is at Oberlin. Did she really think it was a great idea to put her unnecessary, gratuitous opinion out there on this topic given where she works?
“Where she works”? She works at a liberal arts college. The supposed mission of a liberal arts education is to expose its students to various ideas and points of view, thereby teaching the students how to think critically. The fact that Oberlin, along with many others, long ago abandoned that mission is reason to emphasize the need to return to that mission, not to tar and feather someone who dares depart from the accepted orthodoxy.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Says the guy that posts every single bit of lacrosse information he ever comes across.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

LaxThoughts wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:05 pm
This.

“Where she works”? She works at a liberal arts college. The supposed mission of a liberal arts education is to expose its students to various ideas and points of view, thereby teaching the students how to think critically. The fact that Oberlin, along with many others, long ago abandoned that mission is reason to emphasize the need to return to that mission, not to tar and feather someone who dares depart from the accepted orthodoxy.
Wish there was a like button.

Also, to think this is an "imaginary" issue for any sport is naive, regardless of where you stand. IMO.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:12 pm
This.

Wish there was a like button.

Also, to think this is an "imaginary" issue for any sport is naive, regardless of where you stand. IMO.
+1
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

It's not "d3 news", you're missing the point
Carolinagrad

Post by Carolinagrad »

Yes, there have been issues regarding a lacrosse player in Florida.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

cltlax wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:46 pm
Says the guy that posts every single bit of lacrosse information he ever comes across.
Correct--regarding WD1 on the WD1 boards.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Carolinagrad wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:08 pm
Yes, there have been issues regarding a lacrosse player in Florida.
What’s the issue - haven’t heard about a transgender girl playing college lax - UF? Jacksonville?
lax410

Post by lax410 »

This.

She works at a very liberal school. If the ND coach spoke out in an unflattering way about the Catholic Church they’d have something to say about.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”