Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Puck Swami

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by Puck Swami »

610Lax wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:55 pm Harvards weight room, locker room, training room and other amenities are neck and neck with Columbia’s for worst in the Ivy. I saw each school last fall. Its a negative and it does impact recruiting. They lost multiple players last year that they offered because of the facilities.
Wow. Turning down a chance at Harvard degree because some other school had better women's lacrosse facilities? I am floored.

Their priorities are seriously warped....
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Puck Swami wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:28 pm
610Lax wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:55 pm Harvards weight room, locker room, training room and other amenities are neck and neck with Columbia’s for worst in the Ivy. I saw each school last fall. Its a negative and it does impact recruiting. They lost multiple players last year that they offered because of the facilities.
Wow. Turning down a chance at Harvard degree because some other school had better women's lacrosse facilities? I am floored.

I once took my child to a division 1 college camp where the head coach addressed all the parents and said “lacrosse is a sport that you can use to get into the best school possible so you can have the most opportunities after you graduate.”

I think that is great advice. The school was not harvard btw…
DMac

Post by DMac »

And the fish bit hook, line, and sinker. Dished out small fortunes to get to all those tourneys, and chased those schollies like a minor digging for gold.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I don’t know what that means. My child chased lacrosse into a school she almost certainly wouldn’t have gotten into otherwise. And luckily, her chase didn’t take too long or cost too money!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Congrats, happy for you and your daughter (sincerely). Youth sports has turned into an incredible money grab, not restricted to wlax. Lot of promises made for few scholarships, too many parents fall into this trap with their mediocre athlete child/children. I watch D1 wlax for the most part so I see the ones it paid off for but for every one of those there are a whole lot more that those costly travel teams did virtually nothing for. It is what it is. My brother and I both played three sports and we were pretty darn good (father was an outstanding coach and we had a lot natural ability). I doubt I would have played knowing what it would cost my parents if it were like it is today. I've watched this with my gdaughter's softball travel team (played on it for many years, was a good little ballplayer with a ton speed). She went to, and graduated from, Texas A&M, the softball had nothing to do with her getting in. Her non-ball playing twin brother went there too and graduated from. I don't like the landscape of youth sports, lot of suckers being taken advantage of there. Got a gson doing the hockey thing, been doing it for 8 or 9 years, his mother is all in, buys all the promises. They've spent a small fortune on all this...gotta go to Canada to play in those tournies, ya know. It's nuts, IMO.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

No offense taken. I agree too many people don’t get the right advice and spend too much time chasing something that is likely beyond their grasp. It’s hard to get honest and accurate advice about your child’s prospects. That’s compounded by the fact that there are indeed late bloomers….

All I was trying to say was that I agreed with puckswami that I find it backwards to prioritize locker room, training room and weight room facilities over school quality/reputation/alumni network etc.. 16 year old athletes get wowed…it’s up to their parents to guide them as to what is actually important.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Completely agree.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

DMac wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:04 pm Congrats, happy for you and your daughter (sincerely). Youth sports has turned into an incredible money grab, not restricted to wlax. Lot of promises made for few scholarships, too many parents fall into this trap with their mediocre athlete child/children. I watch D1 wlax for the most part so I see the ones it paid off for but for every one of those there are a whole lot more that those costly travel teams did virtually nothing for. It is what it is. My brother and I both played three sports and we were pretty darn good (father was an outstanding coach and we had a lot natural ability). I doubt I would have played knowing what it would cost my parents if it were like it is today. I've watched this with my gdaughter's softball travel team (played on it for many years, was a good little ballplayer with a ton speed). She went to, and graduated from, Texas A&M, the softball had nothing to do with her getting in. Her non-ball playing twin brother went there too and graduated from. I don't like the landscape of youth sports, lot of suckers being taken advantage of there. Got a gson doing the hockey thing, been doing it for 8 or 9 years, his mother is all in, buys all the promises. They've spent a small fortune on all this...gotta go to Canada to play in those tournies, ya know. It's nuts, IMO.
I agree with the above. My daughter plays D1 lacrosse, but she approached the process very practically. For her it was always about school first. She had boxes that had to be checked first before lacrosse came into the picture. She had a handful of schools that met her criteria. She is fortunate to be playing at one. But had she not been offered by any of these schools she was prepared to walk away from the sport. She was not going to choose a school for lacrosse just because a coach offered. I’m very proud of how she handled the entire process.

It is troubling to watch so many players on club teams not really have a plan of what schools they want to attend. They let lacrosse drive their decision and jump at offers by schools they would never attend if lacrosse was not in the picture. Their parents will shell out money for any showcase that comes around the corner. I’ve been around players who had no idea their parents signed them up for these money grab events. Again, it’s troubling to see.

Play the game because you enjoy it. If lacrosse can help you get into a school you may not have otherwise gotten into then job well done. But don’t chase lacrosse and commit to schools you would never attend as just a student.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:48 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:04 pm Congrats, happy for you and your daughter (sincerely). Youth sports has turned into an incredible money grab, not restricted to wlax. Lot of promises made for few scholarships, too many parents fall into this trap with their mediocre athlete child/children. I watch D1 wlax for the most part so I see the ones it paid off for but for every one of those there are a whole lot more that those costly travel teams did virtually nothing for. It is what it is. My brother and I both played three sports and we were pretty darn good (father was an outstanding coach and we had a lot natural ability). I doubt I would have played knowing what it would cost my parents if it were like it is today. I've watched this with my gdaughter's softball travel team (played on it for many years, was a good little ballplayer with a ton speed). She went to, and graduated from, Texas A&M, the softball had nothing to do with her getting in. Her non-ball playing twin brother went there too and graduated from. I don't like the landscape of youth sports, lot of suckers being taken advantage of there. Got a gson doing the hockey thing, been doing it for 8 or 9 years, his mother is all in, buys all the promises. They've spent a small fortune on all this...gotta go to Canada to play in those tournies, ya know. It's nuts, IMO.
I agree with the above. My daughter plays D1 lacrosse, but she approached the process very practically. For her it was always about school first. She had boxes that had to be checked first before lacrosse came into the picture. She had a handful of schools that met her criteria. She is fortunate to be playing at one. But had she not been offered by any of these schools she was prepared to walk away from the sport. She was not going to choose a school for lacrosse just because a coach offered. I’m very proud of how she handled the entire process.

It is troubling to watch so many players on club teams not really have a plan of what schools they want to attend. They let lacrosse drive their decision and jump at offers by schools they would never attend if lacrosse was not in the picture. Their parents will shell out money for any showcase that comes around the corner. I’ve been around players who had no idea their parents signed them up for these money grab events. Again, it’s troubling to see.

Play the game because you enjoy it. If lacrosse can help you get into a school you may not have otherwise gotten into then job well done. But don’t chase lacrosse and commit to schools you would never attend as just a student.
Think about it. Don’t play travel sports from the age your kids got in. Mine was K for hockey and 2 for lax. Take the money you spend on the travel and tuition and open a 529. Put that $$ in it every year. Can also open a Roth with the excess. By the time your kid went to college, she would have 100% of the tuition. Instead of looking for crumbs or as we were told 30% is a great offer. Yes yes. What about playing lax. That’s fine. She could’ve played club.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

My D24 for just committed to a fairly high academic D3 school. Would have been her first choice to attend even without the opportunity to play lacrosse. Our approach was always to use sports to help get into the best school possible. Fortunate that she found a match.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

cltlax wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:38 am My D24 for just committed to a fairly high academic D3 school. Would have been her first choice to attend even without the opportunity to play lacrosse. Our approach was always to use sports to help get into the best school possible. Fortunate that she found a match.
congratulations! a great accomplishment
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cltlax wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:38 am My D24 for just committed to a fairly high academic D3 school. Would have been her first choice to attend even without the opportunity to play lacrosse. Our approach was always to use sports to help get into the best school possible. Fortunate that she found a match.
Congratulations to you and your daughter!!
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:28 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:12 pm
Many Thanks! It's been a journey. Definitely wasn't fun when the rest of her team all committed to D1 schools, but she was adamant that she wanted a D3 experience. I'm just glad I get to keep watching her for 4 more years.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

cltlax wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:33 pm
Many Thanks! It's been a journey. Definitely wasn't fun when the rest of her team all committed to D1 schools, but she was adamant that she wanted a D3 experience. I'm just glad I get to keep watching her for 4 more years.
Good for her. Wish my daughter would take the same path. Very hard with todays social media and pressure.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

There are approximately 120 d1 lacrosse schools After the top 10-15 it doesn’t matter!!! It’s more for the chest pounding parents to say their kids going d1 It’s actually funny I have one that played d1 top 5 I have a current d2 and a son who played d3 All had their reasons for taking their path And yes the d1 commited in 9th grade and the facilities were a huge factor It was our first and it was overwhelming Thankfully she played and it worked out But my son was super happy at the smallest school I had ever seen I actually thought it would be miserable But I wasn’t going lol
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

If possible - can we move all of the recruiting conversations to the recruiting page and leave this for coaching changes and updates.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Fischer wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:33 pm
There are approximately 120 d1 lacrosse schools After the top 10-15 it doesn’t matter!!! It’s more for the chest pounding parents to say their kids going d1 It’s actually funny I have one that played d1 top 5 I have a current d2 and a son who played d3 All had their reasons for taking their path And yes the d1 commited in 9th grade and the facilities were a huge factor It was our first and it was overwhelming Thankfully she played and it worked out But my son was super happy at the smallest school I had ever seen I actually thought it would be miserable But I wasn’t going lol
Curious as to what you mean by "it doesn't matter"?
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

By that logic Harvard should be the best team in the country because you’re “seriously warped” if you turn down a chance at a Harvard degree. So they should get all the top players and yet…..
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

610Lax wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:35 am

By that logic Harvard should be the best team in the country because you’re “seriously warped” if you turn down a chance at a Harvard degree. So they should get all the top players and yet…..
80 percent or more of the “top” players can’t get into Harvard/Yale/Princeton etc even as recruited athletes, so your point makes little sense. What I beleive puck was saying that if a player IS in the 20 percent that can use lacrosse to get into one of the top academic schools in the country, facilities deficiencies seem a warped reason to choose a much lower ranked school academically. I personally think a qualified recruit for ivies could have valid reasons for choosing lacrosse excellence over school ranking…but at some point that falls apart. Is it Princeton vs northwestern? Unc? BC? Maryland? Cuse? JMU, Loyola, Florida? I dont know where the line is…. But it’s there somewhere…
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Aurora Cordingly to UNC confirmed as an Assistant Coach. really good hire IMO. Aurora's rise to elite status as a collegiate player was pretty impressive. There's a reason why Maryland hasn't been the same since she left. UNC's coaching staff is absolutely stacked

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”