US U20 Team

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: US U20 Team

Post by Kleizaster »

Insidelax33 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:44 am I think the college talent coming in and the expansion of age range is a bad thing long term. Canada does not produce womens lacrosse players like the men do. USA will win every game by 8 goals or more.
not to mention Canada's development is tied to the US's success and development. Like a by product. It's hard for Canada to produce high level players on their own. All their top players play exclusively in the states and it's not really their fault. The resources and competition offered is just not something you can find in Canada.

They'll always be number 2 and give team USA their toughest game but the pool of talent USA can choose from will always be too great for canada to over overcome.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Looks like the list of players was trimmed from 100 players to 42. Some curious names in there but then again i wasn't there watching i trust KAH and her staff.

the CEO of US Lax stated that their goal was always to expand the field but idk 100 players feels a bit much. I saw names that had no business being on that initial list but they had to hit the quota.

There's gonna be less than 4 players from this batch that make it to the final roster. Feels a bit excessive to try out that many HS kids and college freshmen for 4 or 5 spots.

I don't see any of the 2024s making it. Only 2023 that can is Chloe Humphrey. Then 2 or 3 freshmen from the 2022 class if even that. There are way too many really good college players that would be better off taking some of those spots
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:25 pm Looks like the list of players was trimmed from 100 players to 42. Some curious names in there but then again i wasn't there watching i trust KAH and her staff.

the CEO of US Lax stated that their goal was always to expand the field but idk 100 players feels a bit much. I saw names that had no business being on that initial list but they had to hit the quota.

There's gonna be less than 4 players from this batch that make it to the final roster. Feels a bit excessive to try out that many HS kids and college freshmen for 4 or 5 spots.

I don't see any of the 2024s making it. Only 2023 that can is Chloe Humphrey. Then 2 or 3 freshmen from the 2022 class if even that. There are way too many really good college players that would be better off taking some of those spots
I'm utterly confused by your post. This is the trimmed down list that the final roster will come from. Only a few 2021s, such as LoPinto, are age eligible for the U20 team. The team will be made up of mostly 2022s and 2023s. I believe the age cutoff date is 9/1/2003. Anyone born prior to that date is not eligible.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:58 am
Insidelax33 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:44 am I think the college talent coming in and the expansion of age range is a bad thing long term. Canada does not produce womens lacrosse players like the men do. USA will win every game by 8 goals or more.
not to mention Canada's development is tied to the US's success and development. Like a by product. It's hard for Canada to produce high level players on their own. All their top players play exclusively in the states and it's not really their fault. The resources and competition offered is just not something you can find in Canada.

They'll always be number 2 and give team USA their toughest game but the pool of talent USA can choose from will always be too great for canada to over overcome.
Fortunately, it doesn’t sound like KAH is taking anything for granted. I understand the tryout was a hunger games-level gauntlet bordering on inhumane given the conditions. Congrats to all who survived (I believe close to 100%). Though the kids who were selected may be wondering in the backs of their minds if it was worth it as they look ahead to the privilege or more training camps, I think the rest of us can be confident that this group will be battle-tested.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:25 pm Looks like the list of players was trimmed from 100 players to 42. Some curious names in there but then again i wasn't there watching i trust KAH and her staff.

I’m confused as well. Sounds to me like the process is as it has always been. Just checked on 2019. 110 players were at the initial tryouts. Then the team was cut down to a training roster. Then the final roster was decided.

I frankly don’t see that this year is any different than past years except that this year it is U20, not U19, which (obviously) allows another year of players to participate.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

njbill wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:46 pm

I’m confused as well. Sounds to me like the process is as it has always been. Just checked on 2019. 110 players were at the initial tryouts. Then the team was cut down to a training roster. Then the final roster was decided.

I frankly don’t see that this year is any different than past years except that this year it is U20, not U19, which (obviously) allows another year of players to participate.
Really all they did by making it U20 was allow the same classes to be able to tryout due to the event being moved back a year. Unfortunately for the 2021 class, they were too young for the 2019 team and too old for the 2023 team with the few exceptions of Ny girls born in the fall of 2002 due to their different school start date. I believe it's 12/1 in NY as opposed to 9/1 most places. LoPinto and another YJ player were on the U15 Team USA Select team back in 2019 while the rest of the 2021s were on the U17 team.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

To touch on the Apuzzo stuff, she's publicly said that being named a U19 alternate was something of a defining moment that fueled her going into college. I believe Madlax that she didn't have a good tryout - she's a pretty reserved person and probably just struggled in that kind of environment as a 17-year-old kid. Scane is a similar story but she had her freshman year (right in front of KAH every day) to redeem herself and earn a spot. Getting that close and not quite cutting it can be a great experience if the kid uses it the right way.

Half of Canada's roster in 2015 had played at least a season of college ball (also including Lydia Sutton and Danita Stroup) and a lot of the youngsters were supremely talented (Cordingley, Kinna, Kameron Halsall, Tessa Chad...). Meanwhile that US team looked like they expected it to be handed to them.
bhall123 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:21 pm It's interesting that USA Lacrosse prided itself on the "diversity" of the 2019 team, but that was geographical diversity, which is an indication that the stranglehold was broken on selecting talent only from one part of the country. This also appeals to a broader market in growing the sport.
KAH has always been ahead of the curve in terms of recruiting beyond traditional hotbeds and recognizing talent that hasn't had the level of coaching available in other areas. Love seeing that same quality in U19/20 selections.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:04 pm Can’t speak to why Apuzzo was only an alternate, but my recollection about Lasota is entirely different. It was well known that she was Canada’s top offensive threat. Even I knew that. I was worried about her even before the event began.

She had had a blockbuster freshman year. Take a look at the accolades in her NU bio from her freshman year, which was the spring before the 2015 U19 tournament was held. Big 10 freshman of the year. Second team All American. 69 goals. And more.

https://nusports.com/sports/womens-lacr ... asota/8195
Pretty sure that Apuzzo had a bum knee at that point ( tryouts ) and ended up needing surgery. When healthy there aren't too many players that can effect a game in so many different phases, draw, ride, scoring, assisting, endless energy. One of my all time favorites.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:19 pm Breakdown per school:

Northwestern-7
Boston College-6
North Carolina-6
Maryland-3
Army-2
Stanford-2
Michigan-2

Penn- 1
Duke-1
Florida-1
Virginia-1
Virginia Tech-1
Syracuse-1
JMU-1
Navy-1
Clemson-1
Dartmouth-1
Notre Dame-1
Cincinnati-1
GW-1

Breakdown per conference:

AAC: 3
ACC: 18
A-10-1
Big 10- 12
Ivy League: 2
Pac-12: 2
Patriot- 3

Breakdown by HS grad year:

2021-1
2022-23
2023-13
2024-5
No surprise here as it is an all Northwestern staff (minus Tumolo). KAH rolling with what she does best.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

intheknow247 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:53 pm No surprise here as it is an all Northwestern staff (minus Tumolo). KAH rolling with what she does best.

If I understand correctly, the final U20 training camp is the USA Lacrosse Fall Classic. Historically, the national champs attend that event and play exhibition game(s) vs team USA--this year U20 vs Northwestern. Dream scenario for KAH as this affords her some flexibility in getting kids another look and development opportunity prior to the final U20 selection.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

GratefulRed wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:01 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:53 pm No surprise here as it is an all Northwestern staff (minus Tumolo). KAH rolling with what she does best.

If I understand correctly, the final U20 training camp is the USA Lacrosse Fall Classic. Historically, the national champs attend that event and play exhibition game(s) vs team USA--this year U20 vs Northwestern. Dream scenario for KAH as this affords her some flexibility in getting kids another look and development opportunity prior to the final U20 selection.
An opportunity to load up with more NU players and commits. On brand.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”