Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
BCLax24

Re: Recruiting

Post by BCLax24 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:03 pm The HS lacrosse season and careers are coming to an end for 2023s and recruiting is in full swing for the 2025s. i'll just share my thoughts cause i follow HS lax closely. Good class in terms of talent but not as good as 2022, which might be shaping up to be the best since 2017.

2023 Class

With all that Cuse will lose next year, i expect a lot of the incoming players to get their chances. Ashlee Volpe out of NY is really good and has the potential to be a star attacker for CUSE and should have been ranked much higher. Their 2024 class will be their strongest in recent memory but until then they'll have to navigate a bit of a regression next year

We all know Chloe Humphrey by now who's ranked #1 in the class. I've been singing her praises forever but she's next level and has cemented it this year. Kayla Treanor level talent. The way coaches speak about her is rare. Fueled Darien to being undefeated and ranked #1 in HS lax for almost the entire year, having beaten 7 or 8 ranked teams. Will be interesting to see how Levy utilizes her with her all her other shiny toys but let's just say she won't be coming off the bench.

This is actually a good class for Maryland. Good players coming in but they're all Middies and no quality attackers, which is what they desperately need.

BC will go in a bit of a rebuild. You could see that they're out of gas. This is a good place to start introducing some younger talent starting with this class, which will be crucial because their top recruits in 2021 and 2022 have barely seen the field or given meaningful contributions. This will catch up to them eventually.

NW is in a similar position to BC. But NW is interesting because even though they don't land recruits as talented as the other programs consistently, KAH gets the most out of them because she knows how to mold raw athleticism and develop players. So from year to year the drop off won't be as steep. This class is really just another average NW classes full of athletic players.

2025 Class

Too early to get a complete read on this class but most of the top players are being recruited currently and will be committing in September. I think NW will do well in this class as a result of the championship bump and land more top players. Spallina's kid was anointed #1 pretty much since she was in middle school but there's another girl from Connecticut Gabby Lauretani who i think has surpassed her and is the best in the class. I think Spallina is CUSE bound. that or SB. can't see her going anywhere else.

This is a strong class for Long Island kids. Levy scheduled a bunch of camps specifically for Long Island kids and a lot of them attended and posted happy smiling pictures on social media with their parents. So expect her to land a couple of the top Long Island kids she has a bit of a pipeline there

I have to come to BC’s defense here. They’re definitely not rebuilding heading into next season, because, assuming the eligible grads take their extra year, they’re only losing two contributors (Medjid and Welch) from last years’ team. Obviously Medjid is a big loss, and Welch has been a solid defender for them the last few years, but they’re still retaining the vast majority of their offense, all of their contributing midfielders, and nearly their entire defense.

Also, to say they’re out of gas is a major reach. Sure, they got blown out by Northwestern in the championship game, but NW was clearly a juggernaut, and losing to them doesn’t really tell the full story. The reality is that they were easily the second best team, especially during the second half of the season. Prior to the NW loss, they closed the year on a 13 game winning streak, including beating both Syracuse and Norte Dame twice and beating UNC to win the ACC tournament.

As far as the 21’ and 22’ classes, it’s definitely fair to say that they haven’t gotten as much production from their top recruits as they would’ve liked. Particularly with the 21’ class, Hasselbeck hasn’t lived up to her top rated recruit status, and Agostino was completely underutilized and is now in the portal. However, to say that they haven’t gotten meaningful contributions from the two classes is not really accurate. McKenna Davis was one of the best facilitators in the country last season, finishing the year second in D1 with 62 assists. Shea Dolce had an outstanding first year in net, beating out Rachel Hall for the starting job and winning ACC freshman of the year. Also, Shea Baker was one of team’s best defenders as a freshman, with a ton of huge performances down to stretch including completely locking down Meg Tyrell in the national semis. Abbey Herrod also filled in well as the backup draw taker and has a good chance to take over as the lead option in that role next season.

Overall, I doubt BC is going anywhere next season, and I’d be surprised if they aren’t right back in championship weekend and competing for a national championship. In addition to all the production they have returning, they’re bringing in arguably the nation’s top recruiting class with 3 of the top 8 ranked 23’s on Inside Lacrosse.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

BCLax24 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:43 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:03 pm The HS lacrosse season and careers are coming to an end for 2023s and recruiting is in full swing for the 2025s. i'll just share my thoughts cause i follow HS lax closely. Good class in terms of talent but not as good as 2022, which might be shaping up to be the best since 2017.

2023 Class

With all that Cuse will lose next year, i expect a lot of the incoming players to get their chances. Ashlee Volpe out of NY is really good and has the potential to be a star attacker for CUSE and should have been ranked much higher. Their 2024 class will be their strongest in recent memory but until then they'll have to navigate a bit of a regression next year

We all know Chloe Humphrey by now who's ranked #1 in the class. I've been singing her praises forever but she's next level and has cemented it this year. Kayla Treanor level talent. The way coaches speak about her is rare. Fueled Darien to being undefeated and ranked #1 in HS lax for almost the entire year, having beaten 7 or 8 ranked teams. Will be interesting to see how Levy utilizes her with her all her other shiny toys but let's just say she won't be coming off the bench.

This is actually a good class for Maryland. Good players coming in but they're all Middies and no quality attackers, which is what they desperately need.

BC will go in a bit of a rebuild. You could see that they're out of gas. This is a good place to start introducing some younger talent starting with this class, which will be crucial because their top recruits in 2021 and 2022 have barely seen the field or given meaningful contributions. This will catch up to them eventually.

NW is in a similar position to BC. But NW is interesting because even though they don't land recruits as talented as the other programs consistently, KAH gets the most out of them because she knows how to mold raw athleticism and develop players. So from year to year the drop off won't be as steep. This class is really just another average NW classes full of athletic players.

2025 Class

Too early to get a complete read on this class but most of the top players are being recruited currently and will be committing in September. I think NW will do well in this class as a result of the championship bump and land more top players. Spallina's kid was anointed #1 pretty much since she was in middle school but there's another girl from Connecticut Gabby Lauretani who i think has surpassed her and is the best in the class. I think Spallina is CUSE bound. that or SB. can't see her going anywhere else.

This is a strong class for Long Island kids. Levy scheduled a bunch of camps specifically for Long Island kids and a lot of them attended and posted happy smiling pictures on social media with their parents. So expect her to land a couple of the top Long Island kids she has a bit of a pipeline there

I have to come to BC’s defense here. They’re definitely not rebuilding heading into next season, because, assuming the eligible grads take their extra year, they’re only losing two contributors (Medjid and Welch) from last years’ team. Obviously Medjid is a big loss, and Welch has been a solid defender for them the last few years, but they’re still retaining the vast majority of their offense, all of their contributing midfielders, and nearly their entire defense.

Also, to say they’re out of gas is a major reach. Sure, they got blown out by Northwestern in the championship game, but NW was clearly a juggernaut, and losing to them doesn’t really tell the full story. The reality is that they were easily the second best team, especially during the second half of the season. Prior to the NW loss, they closed the year on a 13 game winning streak, including beating both Syracuse and Norte Dame twice and beating UNC to win the ACC tournament.

As far as the 21’ and 22’ classes, it’s definitely fair to say that they haven’t gotten as much production from their top recruits as they would’ve liked. Particularly with the 21’ class, Hasselbeck hasn’t lived up to her top rated recruit status, and Agostino was completely underutilized and is now in the portal. However, to say that they haven’t gotten meaningful contributions from the two classes is not really accurate. McKenna Davis was one of the best facilitators in the country last season, finishing the year second in D1 with 62 assists. Shea Dolce had an outstanding first year in net, beating out Rachel Hall for the starting job and winning ACC freshman of the year. Also, Shea Baker was one of team’s best defenders as a freshman, with a ton of huge performances down to stretch including completely locking down Meg Tyrell in the national semis. Abbey Herrod also filled in well as the backup draw taker and has a good chance to take over as the lead option in that role next season.

Overall, I doubt BC is going anywhere next season, and I’d be surprised if they aren’t right back in championship weekend and competing for a national championship. In addition to all the production they have returning, they’re bringing in arguably the nation’s top recruiting class with 3 of the top 8 ranked 23’s on Inside Lacrosse.
Both Weeks sisters are returning??
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

Northwestern gets verbal commit from 2024 goalie Kate Keller. She goes to Newburyport High, which is where Molly Laliberty went to high school
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

timber18888 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:30 pm Northwestern gets verbal commit from 2024 goalie Kate Keller. She goes to Newburyport High, which is where Molly Laliberty went to high school
Super late committment. Don't know much about her but a good sign for NW of things to come with the 2025s
Dull Thud

Post by Dull Thud »

Kate Keller is a 2024 who played for the Boston Lacrosse Club. On her late commit, I wondered if she was leaning to BC but was discouraged by the impressive success of Shea Dolce this season?

Interesting that she has committed to NW — she is one of the 99 invitees to the U20 tryouts. The competition for goalie slots on the U20 roster should be intense. Keller joins Francesca Argentiera as NW goalies invited to tryout.

The eight goalie invites include 4 rising sophomores (2022) — Shea Dolce (BC), Jocelyn Torres (VT), Argentiera (NW) and Lucianna Cardello (Hofstra). Dolce and Torres both had strong freshman campaigns, Argenteria backed up Laliberty at NW and Cardello had a statistically good year (.424 save %) for a weak Hofstra team. Next there are two 2023s — Betty Nelson (UNC) (IL #5) and Julia Soriano (MD) (IL #11), both of whom are highly regarded. The last two are 2024s Keller and Ashley Langdon (Hopkins).

On the surface, it would seem that the NW candidates are unlikely to make the team, but (IIRC) there were five NW players on the 2019 team, including backup goalie Madison Doucette (not suggesting she was unworthy). Should be interesting
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Dull Thud wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:28 pm Kate Keller is a 2024 who played for the Boston Lacrosse Club. On her late commit, I wondered if she was leaning to BC but was discouraged by the impressive success of Shea Dolce this season?

Interesting that she has committed to NW — she is one of the 99 invitees to the U20 tryouts. The competition for goalie slots on the U20 roster should be intense. Keller joins Francesca Argentiera as NW goalies invited to tryout.

The eight goalie invites include 4 rising sophomores (2022) — Shea Dolce (BC), Jocelyn Torres (VT), Argentiera (NW) and Lucianna Cardello (Hofstra). Dolce and Torres both had strong freshman campaigns, Argenteria backed up Laliberty at NW and Cardello had a statistically good year (.424 save %) for a weak Hofstra team. Next there are two 2023s — Betty Nelson (UNC) (IL #5) and Julia Soriano (MD) (IL #11), both of whom are highly regarded. The last two are 2024s Keller and Ashley Langdon (Hopkins).

On the surface, it would seem that the NW candidates are unlikely to make the team, but (IIRC) there were five NW players on the 2019 team, including backup goalie Madison Doucette (not suggesting she was unworthy). Should be interesting
Boston Lacrosse Club (more recently known as the Middlesex Bears) is a very minor presence in New England. Very local. Rarely around the local tournaments.

Her HS, Newburyport, just won a state title yesterday.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

Dull Thud wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:28 pm Kate Keller is a 2024 who played for the Boston Lacrosse Club. On her late commit, I wondered if she was leaning to BC but was discouraged by the impressive success of Shea Dolce this season?

If I had to guess it comes down to Shea Dolce, Jocelyn Torres, Fran Argenteri and Betty Nelson. I'm not sure how they picked the 24 goalies? I know there are a handful of good 24 goalies - USC commit, UNC commit, Cuse Commit, Penn commit and Vandy commit are all very good.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

BCLax24 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:43 pm

Nice, BCLax24. I needed that. Struggling to get past my end-of-season hangover and you picked me up! Had a chance to spend a little time with the '23 kids and families at commit events last summer--love this group.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Humphrey named US Lacrosse Magazine HS player of the year
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:24 pm Humphrey named US Lacrosse Magazine HS player of the year
Not surprised. From what I’ve seen on film (never seen in her person) she looks the real deal and I think she’ll be great. However, we heard the same type about CW at UNC. CW is a great player and deservingly so an All American, but she had so much hype coming out of high school. With that, how good will Humphrey be?
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

user1020 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:37 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:24 pm Humphrey named US Lacrosse Magazine HS player of the year
Not surprised. From what I’ve seen on film (never seen in her person) she looks the real deal and I think she’ll be great. However, we heard the same type about CW at UNC. CW is a great player and deservingly so an All American, but she had so much hype coming out of high school. With that, how good will Humphrey be?
I’m thinking apples and oranges here. CW went to a school in Florida that was coached by her dad and played really bad teams and scored a whole lot of goals against really bad teams. I’m not saying she’s not a good lacrosse player, because she is, but as we all know, stats, and ranking lists don’t really mean squat until they get to college. Humphrey, on the other hand goes to school at Darien, which is extremely competitive and they play equally competitive competition. So I would say she is a step above CW coming out of high school.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

I agree with the apples and oranges comments. Humphrey has lit up everyone she has faced since middle school, and dominated on the #1 team while playing the toughest schedule in the nation. Routinely called a “generational talent” by those that watched her play.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

user1020 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:37 pm
No player was hyped more than CW. After the senior / grad classes ahead of her graduated she showed average ability to sometimes glimpses - of very good ability. Not a game changer . Imo how she was ranked Re AA status the end of season was self-explanatory . Humphey played at a much more competitive high school with siblings to help improve her game. It will be interesting to see how she gels with the UNC players .
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

ProudPapa wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:17 pm I agree with the apples and oranges comments. Humphrey has lit up everyone she has faced since middle school, and dominated on the #1 team while playing the toughest schedule in the nation. Routinely called a “generational talent” by those that watched her play.
Well she has some big shoes to fill as an attacker at UNC. They def need a leader at Carolina hopefully she will be that spark they need.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

ProudPapa wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:17 pm I agree with the apples and oranges comments. Humphrey has lit up everyone she has faced since middle school, and dominated on the #1 team while playing the toughest schedule in the nation. Routinely called a “generational talent” by those that watched her play.
LOL, CW was also called a generational talent, the future greatest ever, etc etc etc etc. Wasn't she called "the Michael Jordan of girls lacrosse" or something at some point?? I've never seen CH play so I'm not commenting on her, just saying hype means nothing and resumes have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure CH is excited to prove herself but that doesn't start until she gets to Chapel Hill.
njbill

Post by njbill »

If you are interested, there are lots of full game Darien videos online.

I have seen her perhaps a half a dozen times live (full games) and maybe an equal number of full game videos.

She’ll also be in the Under Armour senior game (or whatever they are calling that now), which if they continue the practice of the past several years will be televised live on one of the ESPN networks.

She is the real deal. But she, like anyone else, will still need to prove herself at the college level. Will she? I think so. But let’s see.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:57 pm
LOL, CW was also called a generational talent, the future greatest ever, etc etc etc etc. Wasn't she called "the Michael Jordan of girls lacrosse" or something at some point?? I've never seen CH play so I'm not commenting on her, just saying hype means nothing and resumes have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure CH is excited to prove herself but that doesn't start until she gets to Chapel Hill.
CW is still an excellent player and top 10 in women's lacrosse. I agree that hype is a double edged sword especially if a player doesn't live up to it. But that hype was a byproduct of her domination in HS in Florida, despite being a good lax state, the caliber of teams CW was facing simply weren't on par with teams in the North East. I think that's what hurt her a little. I remember still even though she was getting praise, the fact that she was playing in Florida was a point made by many.

CH is different. She has competed at the highest levels of the game in High School in the best region and has dominated. She was in 8th grade playing girls who were top 25 talents and 1 year sometimes 2 age groups higher than her and no one could stop her. She won the UA all america tourney MVP
in 2019 as a middle schooler and again in 2020 and 2021 in a field full of top ranked high schoolers that included players like her big sis Ashley Humphrey, Kory Edmondson, Marissa White, Caroline Godine, Shea Dolce, Madison Taylor, etc i can go on and one. All these players are stars. It's her consistent domination against other high level players that make her a little different. When you can do that, the transition to college or the pros is very easy for players like that. Hence the word generational being tossed out. And it's not just her stats, but the way she plays. Her demeanor, combination of speed, athleticism, lax IQ and and motor in addition to everything else has impressed every single coach i've heard speak about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPohSa ... AXdotCOMtv

This was when she played St.Pauls. She's #2 in black. she just stands out. This was a stout St. Paul's team and she casually scored 7 dishing out 3 assists. She plays like that against every top team..
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

CW is a very good player, but frankly I'm not sure she's even top 10 in her conference, let alone the country. Truthfully I think it's a shame that she can never just be an All-American four-year starter at UNC and a national champion, she will always be the wunderkind who didn't live up to the ridiculous hype. And she is certainly not the only kid whose college career is/was largely defined by the hype she received in high school. The reality is that sometimes skillsets that allow players to dominate in high school don't translate to an equally exceptional college player. It does kids a disservice to hype them up so much - not calling out any of you specifically (I don't spend enough time on this thread to know) but CH's name has been everywhere for a while. If she ends up as anything less than a Tewaaraton finalist, she will always be viewed in the lacrosse community as another kid who was overhyped in high school - that's not fair. Best of luck to her, I hope she stays healthy and continues to enjoy playing.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:32 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:57 pm
CW is still an excellent player and top 10 in women's lacrosse. I agree that hype is a double edged sword especially if a player doesn't live up to it. But that hype was a byproduct of her domination in HS in Florida, despite being a good lax state, the caliber of teams CW was facing simply weren't on par with teams in the North East. I think that's what hurt her a little. I remember still even though she was getting praise, the fact that she was playing in Florida was a point made by many.

CH is different. She has competed at the highest levels of the game in High School in the best region and has dominated. She was in 8th grade playing girls who were top 25 talents and 1 year sometimes 2 age groups higher than her and no one could stop her. She won the UA all america tourney MVP
in 2019 as a middle schooler and again in 2020 and 2021 in a field full of top ranked high schoolers that included players like her big sis Ashley Humphrey, Kory Edmondson, Marissa White, Caroline Godine, Shea Dolce, Madison Taylor, etc i can go on and one. All these players are stars. It's her consistent domination against other high level players that make her a little different. When you can do that, the transition to college or the pros is very easy for players like that. Hence the word generational being tossed out. And it's not just her stats, but the way she plays. Her demeanor, combination of speed, athleticism, lax IQ and and motor in addition to everything else has impressed every single coach i've heard speak about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPohSa ... AXdotCOMtv

This was when she played St.Pauls. She's #2 in black. she just stands out. This was a stout St. Paul's team and she casually scored 7 dishing out 3 assists. She plays like that against every top team..
who is #2 on St Paul - also looks to be a very nice player?
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:59 pm CW is a very good player, but frankly I'm not sure she's even top 10 in her conference, let alone the country. Truthfully I think it's a shame that she can never just be an All-American four-year starter at UNC and a national champion, she will always be the wunderkind who didn't live up to the ridiculous hype. And she is certainly not the only kid whose college career is/was largely defined by the hype she received in high school. The reality is that sometimes skillsets that allow players to dominate in high school don't translate to an equally exceptional college player. It does kids a disservice to hype them up so much - not calling out any of you specifically (I don't spend enough time on this thread to know) but CH's name has been everywhere for a while. If she ends up as anything less than a Tewaaraton finalist, she will always be viewed in the lacrosse community as another kid who was overhyped in high school - that's not fair. Best of luck to her, I hope she stays healthy and continues to enjoy playing.
Agreed on everything written here. CH has been an incredible high school player. Let’s see what happens at unc. I am excited to watch her play…

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”