2023 New York State Tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
kr522

Re: 2023 New York State Tournaments

Post by kr522 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:56 pm Just announced - another delay of boys to Friday for the semis

Finals will now be Sunday at Hofstra

https://nysphsaa.org/news/2023/6/7/gene ... une-8.aspx

They asked about using the Dome in Syracuse but renovations there made it unavailable.

The Yankees-White Sox game at the Stadium tonight is also postponed - Apparently it is really bad in NYC

So far MA, NH and PA are still playing today. VA moved their games to tomorrow
I can tell you firsthand it’s awful in NYC…..at one point I could barely see skyscrapers 20 blocks away. The fires are 400 miles away, it’s just bizarre.

Fingers crossed for Friday/Sunday. It is a little better now than earlier
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:58 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:56 pm Just announced - another delay of boys to Friday for the semis

Finals will now be Sunday at Hofstra

https://nysphsaa.org/news/2023/6/7/gene ... une-8.aspx

They asked about using the Dome in Syracuse but renovations there made it unavailable.

The Yankees-White Sox game at the Stadium tonight is also postponed - Apparently it is really bad in NYC

So far MA, NH and PA are still playing today. VA moved their games to tomorrow
I can tell you firsthand it’s awful in NYC…..at one point I could barely see skyscrapers 20 blocks away. The fires are 400 miles away, it’s just bizarre.

Fingers crossed for Friday/Sunday. It is a little better now than earlier
Moving to Friday/Sunday was the right move. It's going to be a lot better tomorrow, but still not quite enough. Friday the air quality will be back to what it was on early Monday.

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Current Albany AQI is 115 or 153 or 179 depending on which site you use
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

CT has already cancelled today's games but much easier to move games when it does not involve such long drives as in NY.
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

AQI is still in the 200's on LI today.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

it seems to be dropping…..the same sites I looked at earlier have 100, 137, and 142 now. Even the site at 142 shows Rensselaer, right across the water, at 79. :|
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

From the wayback machine as we wait for the games to begin. One of the best games in NYS history. West Genesee vs. Farmingdale 2003 state championship. This game served to cement Messere's legacy (if it wasn't already cemented)... Farmingdale was really a super team that year and nobody gave WG a chance.

https://www.syracuse.com/highschoolspor ... title.html
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

thedisciple516 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:59 pm From the wayback machine as we wait for the games to begin. One of the best games in NYS history. West Genesee vs. Farmingdale 2003 state championship. This game served to cement Messere's legacy (if it wasn't already cemented)... Farmingdale was really a super team that year and nobody gave WG a chance.

I think Mike Messere's reputation was pretty solid before this one (He was inducted into the National Lacrosse HOF in 1994).
Although, correctly nobody gave them a chance at the time.

His team took down an allegedly superior Northport team in 2002.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:51 pm
thedisciple516 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:59 pm From the wayback machine as we wait for the games to begin. One of the best games in NYS history. West Genesee vs. Farmingdale 2003 state championship. This game served to cement Messere's legacy (if it wasn't already cemented)... Farmingdale was really a super team that year and nobody gave WG a chance.

I think Mike Messere's reputation was pretty solid before this one (He was inducted into the National Lacrosse HOF in 1994).

More than once I expected a Long Island team to win the title only to have WG shut them down. It eventually got to a point I was surprised if WG lost. Why aren’t they dominant anymore? Seems like they should be a force in Class B
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

kr522 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:13 pm

More than once I expected a Long Island team to win the title only to have WG shut them down. It eventually got to a point I was surprised if WG lost. Why aren’t they dominant anymore? Seems like they should be a force in Class B
They kids and parents ran a HOF coach to retirement and they have not been close since (maybe this year but don't hold your breath). In fact, both WM and WI ran th eclock on the Wildcats 2X in Messere's last years at the helm.

Joe Cuozzo at Ward Melville, another HOF coach did not leave on his terms either.

Had to feel bad for Farmingdale's coach Bob Harttranft after that loss - he finally got his state championship a few years later and he then retired with over 700 career wins. One of only 4 coaches with that many. HOF coach as well.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

AQI has significantly improved in Albany, its at 45 now. Games should go ahead as planned tomorrow barring something unforeseen.

Joe
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Messere retired (some say he was pushed out by know it all parents and entitled kids who couldn't handle his old school ways). After a legendary coach retires it's a cr*p shoot whether their replacements will continue the success. At West Genny the answer so far is unfortunately no.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Upstate predictions

Bville shuts down Pford
Victor's mission continues
JD outclasses HFL
Mustangs of Marcellus get the win

Downstate predictions

Farmingdale brings it
Hard to not take GC (Game of the Day)
Manhasset pulls away
Pleasantville just too much
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Nigel wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:46 am Upstate predictions

Bville shuts down Pford
Victor's mission continues
JD outclasses HFL
Mustangs of Marcellus get the win

Downstate predictions

Farmingdale brings it
Hard to not take GC (Game of the Day)
Manhasset pulls away
Pleasantville just too much
Agree with Bville, Victor, JD, Famingdale and Manhasset winning (Manhasset will do more than just pull away).

-I'll take Penn Yan over Marcellus. They've played a tougher schedule and Marcellus hasn't been quite as good late in the season. In reality a toss-up.

-Nisky over GC because of home field. They looked real good against Yorktown and this isn't GC's very best team seems like. Another Toss-up though.

-Sticking with CSH over Pleasantville. Much tougher schedule and many more close games against better competition. If Pleasantville played CSH's schedule they'd have a similar record (and visa-versa).
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Ranking the games from worst to best

8 - Manhasset vs. Rye - Manhasset should dominate. Best team in NYS besides St. Anthony's and Victor???
7- Victor vs. West Genesee - Not the WG of old unfortunately. Victor on a mission to avenge last year's early exit
6- J-D vs. H-F-L - Not quite the JD of old but still too much for HFL
5 - Farmingdale vs. Scarsdale - Not too impressed with Section 2 Class A so if Scarsdale can only barely squeek by them the LI champ should win by 4-5.
4 - Baldwinsville vs. Pittsford - Not conviced by Pittford's gaudy record. Schedule not very challenging and they lost to decent but not great F-M.
3- Penn Yann vs. Marcellus - Marcellus beat them H-2-H early but PY seems to have been more battle tested since then. Toss up.
2- Pleasantville vs. CSH - Should be a great one. Pleasantville having a great year but CSH much more battle tested. Toss up.
1 -Nisky vs. Garden City - Game of the day imo. Toss up
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Farmingdale
Pittsford

Nisky
Victor

Manhasset
JD

Pleasantville
Marcellus
LI13

Post by LI13 »

That Northport team was substantially better than the team that won states the year before (when West Genny was upset in the Section 3 final). We were all surprised when West Genny beat us even though we knew the program's great history.

Because we witnessed that, I was not that surprised to see them beat that incredible Farmingdale team the next year.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Was at that game. Raucous crowd. Coyne Field as it aged out. Great venue where you were close to the action and drama. Other than the drama of the game, I most vividly remember one particularly obnoxious "Daler dad" who JUST... WOULD... NOT... SHUT... UP. Like some sort of toxic Tourette's twit he just loudly berated every call, and some Genny kids. If it was the 70's there would have been a post-game rumble under the stands. With Genny's previous year's last second victory at Hofstra...well, that was a great two straight years of Section III big dog battle victories.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

thedisciple516 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:06 pm

Messere retired (some say he was pushed out by know it all parents and entitled kids who couldn't handle his old school ways). After a legendary coach retires it's a cr*p shoot whether their replacements will continue the success. At West Genny the answer so far is unfortunately no.
I found these articles which cover a lot of the saga. Sounds like with the right coach they’ll get things back on track

https://www.syracuse.com/highschoolspor ... 8733713126

https://www.syracuse.com/highschoolspor ... itle-game/
kr522

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:45 am Farmingdale
Pittsford

Nisky
Victor

Manhasset
JD

Pleasantville
Marcellus

Hard for me to say on some of these games, but I agree on Farmingdale and Manhasset. I’ll take any W by Manhasset but the idea Manhasset might “pull away” is possible. Their offense sometimes starts slowly and in those cases they tend to wear down the opponent

Garden City: i think the 2 extra days probably makes the case stronger for them. I assume the teams went up Tuesday and stayed there. If that’s the case then there’s going to be very little travel advantage for Nisky. I’m picking the Trojans

CSH: i predict this will be close and hard to watch

Upstate I think I’m hoping for JD to lose. If Manhasset can advance I’d rather not see JD….just have some bad memories of the Red Rams beating some very good GC teams

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”