2023 New York State Tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: 2023 New York State Tournaments

Post by Farfromgeneva »

thedisciple516 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:19 am John Fallon and Bob Ford Field are right next to each other up at UAlbany. Is it a good idea to have Manhasset and Garden City fans in such close proximity? Anyway Niskayuna could bring a couple thousand fans seeing as the game is at 6:30 after work. hope GC is ready.
GC and Manhasset are bitter rivals, but I daresay their fans are civil in comparison to some other rivalries on Long Island (Farmingdale-Massapequa comes to mind!).
[/quote]

Out of curiosity what would you guys say is the fiersest rivalry on Long Island (for all sports)? From what I gather on these boards it's Farmigdale-Massapequa or maybe St. Anthony's-Chaminade. But unlike the rest of the state there's so many schools in such close proximity to each other that there's so many candidates. Sayville-BBP? Mt. Sinai-Miller Place? Manhasset-Garden City?? Commack-Northport?? Rocky Point-Shoreham?????
[/quote]

The way my mother described growing up there it was Wantagh vs the world! My uncle who surfed regularly at Jones Beach and was a hippy would’ve said the Island vs the Hamptons.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LI13

Post by LI13 »

thedisciple516 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:19 am John Fallon and Bob Ford Field are right next to each other up at UAlbany. Is it a good idea to have Manhasset and Garden City fans in such close proximity? Anyway Niskayuna could bring a couple thousand fans seeing as the game is at 6:30 after work. hope GC is ready.
GC and Manhasset are bitter rivals, but I daresay their fans are civil in comparison to some other rivalries on Long Island (Farmingdale-Massapequa comes to mind!).
[/quote]

Out of curiosity what would you guys say is the fiersest rivalry on Long Island (for all sports)? From what I gather on these boards it's Farmigdale-Massapequa or maybe St. Anthony's-Chaminade. But unlike the rest of the state there's so many schools in such close proximity to each other that there's so many candidates. Sayville-BBP? Mt. Sinai-Miller Place? Manhasset-Garden City?? Commack-Northport?? Rocky Point-Shoreham?????
[/quote]

Well I will say that we did hate Commack a lot. The rivalry was pretty hot while I was at Northport. But in some ways it goes through phases because there are times we aren't in their league for most sports because of the way Suffolk groups schools by enrollment. Plus it's not competitive in all sports. They haven't beaten us in 20+ years in lacrosse but they handle us in baseball.

Farmingdale-Massapequa is across the board (for the most part) competitive and they play in all sports, so it gets more heated. I would probably rate that as the most intense public school rivalry on the Island, although there are many others.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

anyone get a load of the air quality problems from the Canadian fires….I thought it was set to downpour here in NYC, but it was mostly haze. Albany is worse than NYC, considered some of the worst air quality in the state. Syracuse is bad too. Hopefully it doesn’t affect things tomorrow
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

kr522 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:55 pm anyone get a load of the air quality problems from the Canadian fires….I thought it was set to downpour here in NYC, but it was mostly haze. Albany is worse than NYC, considered some of the worst air quality in the state. Syracuse is bad too. Hopefully it doesn’t affect things tomorrow
Remarkably bad in CT today, eyes stinging, headache from walking around, smelled like a house was on fire and looked like trying to see through a fog. Youngest had a lax game tonight, thought they might cancel it but they played through. Parents seemed more affected than kids.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:16 pm
kr522 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:55 pm anyone get a load of the air quality problems from the Canadian fires….I thought it was set to downpour here in NYC, but it was mostly haze. Albany is worse than NYC, considered some of the worst air quality in the state. Syracuse is bad too. Hopefully it doesn’t affect things tomorrow
Remarkably bad in CT today, eyes stinging, headache from walking around, smelled like a house was on fire and looked like trying to see through a fog. Youngest had a lax game tonight, thought they might cancel it but they played through. Parents seemed more affected than kids.

Yes it was bad today. Forecasted to be a bit better tomorrow with things really improving tomorrow evening into Thursday.

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:18 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:16 pm

Yes it was bad today. Forecasted to be a bit better tomorrow with things really improving tomorrow evening into Thursday.

Joe
So far it’s just as bad as yesterday, fingers crossed. Big day in NYS, in the immortal words of Bart Scott: can’t wait!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

NYSPHSAA announcement

As a result of the Air Quality Index in the Cortland & Albany areas, #NYSPHSAA will postpone the Boys Lacrosse Semifinals until Thursday. All game times will be moved up 2 hours. #NYSPHSAA is relying on NYS DEC information & data. Games will not be played with AQI exceeding 100.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:38 am NYSPHSAA announcement

As a result of the Air Quality Index in the Cortland & Albany areas, #NYSPHSAA will postpone the Boys Lacrosse Semifinals until Thursday. All game times will be moved up 2 hours. #NYSPHSAA is relying on NYS DEC information & data. Games will not be played with AQI exceeding 100.
Have to do what’s right for the kids….does this affect Saturday schedule?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

kr522 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:45 am

Have to do what’s right for the kids….does this affect Saturday schedule?
Yep. They didn't say but they did have a day to play with - the question is what do they do if the AQI is over 100 tomorrow? I'd assume they would postpone semis to Friday and perhaps move the finals to Sunday from Saturday - Finals are on Long Island at Hofstra where the API is likely to be lower Saturday.

Girls are scheduled already for Friday-Saturday in Upstate NY. The boys could opt for consecutive days as well.

Word is CT is going to postpone state semis today as well.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

A wise decision.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Even if they play tomorrow it is going to be tough on Western Bracket teams, especially for those with the late game Thursday and early game on Saturday. Some may not get home until 8PM Thurs and then a 6 to 7 hour trip to Hempstead, possibly longer depending on Friday afternoon Island traffic. Maybe get an hour of practice on Friday and then play at 10 or 12:30 the next morning. Technology should aid in game prep vs yesteryear but I still wouldn't be surprised to see teams in the hotel parking lot doing walk throughs Friday night.
It might be prudent for winning teams to head for Long Island after their game on Thursday.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Surreal driving yesterday. Thought I was in LA in 1983...
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yes, CT postponed, all fields closed in my town for all sports, its brutal out
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

I sure hope they don't decide to call the whole thing. There's got to be a way to get it done; even if it involves more waiting.
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

It's really bad here on LI today. We've been downwind for the last couple of days, but today is the worst. The winds have prevailed from the NW, W, and SW, all of which move the worst toward us. As of an hour ago, JFK was the only NYC airport to NOT cancel any flights. The index was 121 here yesterday: today it's 163 and rising. NYC is well over 200.
FYI:
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2023 ... MAIL_ID%5D
kr522

Post by kr522 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:57 pm I sure hope they don't decide to call the whole thing. There's got to be a way to get it done; even if it involves more waiting.
That’s my fear. It is definitely worse today, I wonder how much flexibility they have to push it into next week
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Doesn't look like AQI will get below 100 through at least Thursday night, not according to the maps I've seen. This is going to be interesting. Don't see why they can't push it off a week as these stadiums mostly sit empty
kr522

Post by kr522 »

flyerfan17 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:06 pm Doesn't look like AQI will get below 100 through at least Thursday night, not according to the maps I've seen. This is going to be interesting. Don't see why they can't push it off a week as these stadiums mostly sit empty
Might be an issue with finals and time away from the classroom
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

kr522 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:44 pm
fordmaddoxford wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:57 pm I sure hope they don't decide to call the whole thing. There's got to be a way to get it done; even if it involves more waiting.
That’s my fear. It is definitely worse today, I wonder how much flexibility they have to push it into next week
In WNY it’s worse today than yesterday, but as of this afternoon it looks like it’s starting to blow through. I was planning on seeing a couple West games today, but a medical appointment squashed that, but now it looks like I’m in.

East
Time Class Teams Location
1:00 PM Class A Scarsdale (I) vs Farmingdale (VIII) John Fallon Field
2:00 PM Class D Pleasantville (I) vs Cold Spring Harbor (VIII) Bob Ford Field
3:30 PM Class C Rye (I) vs Manhasset (VIII) John Fallon Field
4:30 PM Class B Niskayuna (2) vs Garden City (VIII) Bob Ford Field

West
Time Class Teams Location
1:00 PM Class A Baldwinsville (III) vs Pittsford (V) SUNY Cortland – White
1:00 PM Class D Marcellus (III) vs Penn Yan (V) Tompkins Cortland CC
3:30 PM Class C Jamesville-Dewitt (III) vs Honeoye Falls-Lima SUNY Cortland - White
3:30 PM Class B West Genesee (III) vs Victor (V) Tompkins Cortland CC
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Just announced - another delay of boys to Friday for the semis

Finals will now be Sunday at Hofstra

https://nysphsaa.org/news/2023/6/7/gene ... une-8.aspx

They asked about using the Dome in Syracuse but renovations there made it unavailable.

The Yankees-White Sox game at the Stadium tonight is also postponed - Apparently it is really bad in NYC

So far MA, NH and PA are still playing today. VA moved their games to tomorrow

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”