Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:42 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:39 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:17 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:56 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:20 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:08 pm https://theacc.com/news/2023/5/24/gener ... tives.aspx

well, well, well... just in time for the expanded cfp$$ playoff. all the crybabies that signed away 20 years of their free volition and haven't yet grown the balls or figured out how to circumvent the gor can now just go out and win some games.

wonder if the b1g and sec will follow suit? i doubt it personally, they don't "have to", but this certainly might extend the acc's timeline beyond imploding back in 2022 (and 2015).
Equal shares never made sense even when there was an impenetrable monopoly over the labor. Took long enough but the right move.
Basically more money to the best football and basketball schools (and mostly the former).

It’s a Band-Aid for a gushing wound. How long will Clemson and other ACC football powers tolerate the tens of millions of additional dollars that even the basement teams in the B1G and SEC will enjoy?

DocBarrister
Have you considered those two conferences will look at what the acc did and work to rewrite their own deals? The anachronistic insistence by some that the cable subscriber market is driving this into perpetuity is just not thougthful from a corporate business perspective (an exec would be fired for thinking the way it's projected here by some faster than if you whipped your junk out on a zoom call with colleagues)
I’m not sure that will ever happen.

The $30 million extra each year will help even the SEC/B1G basement teams recruit away the best ACC, PAC 12, and Big 12 coaches.

Imagine if perennial SEC doormat Vanderbilt wants to hire away Dabo Swinney? With tens of extra millions of dollars each year, Vanderbilt could do it, even with Swinney’s massive payout. Swinney might want a new stadium. Done. Maybe he wants $20 million a year, above the $11.5 million a year he gets now. Done.

Bottom line, the ACC and other conferences won’t be able to compete with the B1G and SEC for the best coaches and facilities. The best young coaches will view the ACC as a steppingstone to the “real” jobs in the B1G and SEC. Even the bottom of the B1G and SEC will be better than the top of other conferences.

That’s really where this is all headed … a college sports world where from top to bottom, the SEC and B1G are better than anyone else.

DocBarrister
Even projecting a world where conferences have value lacks vision of where TMT is heading IMO. Having two SROs effectively in a conferecne and NCAA is akin to a company having two S-Corps in a vertical line of a entity structure. Redundant to be kind. One has to go and both could go.
The SEC and B1G like to talk about how important it is for other conferences to thrive and how a thriving ACC or Big 12 helps their conferences as well.

Do you actually believe that?

That’s certainly not how those two conferences are acting.

And why would anyone even assume that the NCAA would be around doing much of anything? The NCAA has already been largely sidelined in Division I college football. How long before the SEC and B1G simply declare themselves to be independent of the NCAA? Why share any money with the NCAA?

Even non-revenue sports will feel the impact.

What if Rutgers decides to hire away Lars Tiffany? $30 million “extra” each year would make that easy. Rutgers AD: “Hey, can we double Tiffany’s annual salary?” Rutgers president: “How much ya need?” Rutgers AD: “Oh, a few hundred thousand.” *Rutgers president and AD burst out laughing.* Rutgers president: “Yeah, I think we could spare that.”

The ACC, Big 12, and PAC12 need to close the revenue gap. They have a few years to figure that out, but they need to do it.

DocBarrister
What executives say publicly and how they act rarely correlate. What is the value of Conference? You nor anyone else has defined that let alone how they’ve built a moat. Nobody. And the lack of ability to see beyond the past is stunning. I’d get it if everyone here was an accountant and backwards looking but I know there’s a number of intelligent folks around here.

You don’t even take your own argument to its logical conclusion of one super conference of 60-75 programs driven by competitiveness and national not localized fan interest. The schools don’t need any conference.

Btw who plays the 60-70 schools? They’re going to play home and away? I doubt that.
Fox, CBS, and NBC say the B1G is worth $1 billion a year in just television rights.

You are talking in vague generalities.

The media deal (which the various parties are still struggling to finalize on paper) is cold, hard cash.

As for who plays the teams in two hypothetical 60-70 team B1G/SEC superconferences … the answer is the teams that matter.

They’ll probably have all the major programs in basketball and football. All the best coaches will be in those conferences.

Everything else will be like the NIT in basketball … won’t really matter anymore.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:56 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:08 pm https://theacc.com/news/2023/5/24/gener ... tives.aspx

well, well, well... just in time for the expanded cfp$$ playoff. all the crybabies that signed away 20 years of their free volition and haven't yet grown the balls or figured out how to circumvent the gor can now just go out and win some games.

wonder if the b1g and sec will follow suit? i doubt it personally, they don't "have to", but this certainly might extend the acc's timeline beyond imploding back in 2022 (and 2015).
Equal shares never made sense even when there was an impenetrable monopoly over the labor. Took long enough but the right move.
Basically more money to the best football and basketball schools (and mostly the former).

It’s a Band-Aid for a gushing wound. How long will Clemson and other ACC football powers tolerate the tens of millions of additional dollars that even the basement teams in the B1G and SEC will enjoy?

DocBarrister
Have you considered those two conferences will look at what the acc did and work to rewrite their own deals? The anachronistic insistence by some that the cable subscriber market is driving this into perpetuity is just not thougthful from a corporate business perspective (an exec would be fired for thinking the way it's projected here by some faster than if you whipped your junk out on a zoom call with colleagues)

The $30 million extra each year will help even the SEC/B1G basement teams recruit away the best ACC, PAC 12, and Big 12 coaches.

Imagine if perennial SEC doormat Vanderbilt wants to hire away Dabo Swinney? With tens of extra millions of dollars each year, Vanderbilt could do it, even with Swinney’s massive payout. Swinney might want a new stadium. Done. Maybe he wants $20 million a year, above the $11.5 million a year he gets now. Done.

Bottom line, the ACC and other conferences won’t be able to compete with the B1G and SEC for the best coaches and facilities. The best young coaches will view the ACC as a steppingstone to the “real” jobs in the B1G and SEC. Even the bottom of the B1G and SEC will be better than the top of other conferences.

That’s really where this is all headed … a college sports world where from top to bottom, the SEC and B1G are better than anyone else.

DocBarrister
Even projecting a world where conferences have value lacks vision of where TMT is heading IMO. Having two SROs effectively in a conferecne and NCAA is akin to a company having two S-Corps in a vertical line of a entity structure. Redundant to be kind. One has to go and both could go.
The SEC and B1G like to talk about how important it is for other conferences to thrive and how a thriving ACC or Big 12 helps their conferences as well.

And why would anyone even assume that the NCAA would be around doing much of anything? The NCAA has already been largely sidelined in Division I college football. How long before the SEC and B1G simply declare themselves to be independent of the NCAA? Why share any money with the NCAA?

What if Rutgers decides to hire away Lars Tiffany? $30 million “extra” each year would make that easy. Rutgers AD: “Hey, can we double Tiffany’s annual salary?” Rutgers president: “How much ya need?” Rutgers AD: “Oh, a few hundred thousand.” *Rutgers president and AD burst out laughing.* Rutgers president: “Yeah, I think we could spare that.”

The ACC, Big 12, and PAC12 need to close the revenue gap. They have a few years to figure that out, but they need to do it.

DocBarrister
What executives say publicly and how they act rarely correlate. What is the value of Conference? You nor anyone else has defined that let alone how they’ve built a moat. Nobody. And the lack of ability to see beyond the past is stunning. I’d get it if everyone here was an accountant and backwards looking but I know there’s a number of intelligent folks around here.

You don’t even take your own argument to its logical conclusion of one super conference of 60-75 programs driven by competitiveness and national not localized fan interest. The schools don’t need any conference.

Btw who plays the 60-70 schools? They’re going to play home and away? I doubt that.
Fox, CBS, and NBC say the B1G is worth $1 billion a year in just television rights.

The media deal (which the various parties are still struggling to finalize on paper) is cold, hard cash.

As for who plays the teams in two hypothetical 60-70 team B1G/SEC superconferences … the answer is the teams that matter.

They’ll probably have all the major programs in basketball and football. All the best coaches will be in those conferences.

Everything else will be like the NIT in basketball … won’t really matter anymore.

DocBarrister
Sorry I forgot your one of those attorneys who likes to tell their clients the business decisions to make instead of guiding on risks and considerations as clients expect from their counsel. My bad.

Risk transference, no skin in the game so claim wins when right and hope everyone forgets when wildly wrong.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:47 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:56 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Sorry I forgot your one of those attorneys who likes to tell their clients the business decisions to make instead of guiding on risks and considerations as clients expect from their counsel. My bad.

Risk transference, no skin in the game so claim wins when right and hope everyone forgets when wildly wrong.
I’m not doing anything of the sort. The ACC and other conferences see a crucial need to close the massive revenue gap. Why do you think that is? What consequences, what world do they fear is developing?

Why are seven ACC schools looking at ways to break the GOR agreement with their brethren schools?

Money is a powerful thing. What is it that the ACC fears?

You can’t deny the plausibility of the scenarios I have described … because they are rapidly becoming a reality.

And so you resort to cheap personal insults.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-sel ... versities/

That would make ND joining the B1G more palatable to the academic side.
But my understanding is that their current ACC contract precludes them from being a full member of a football conference other than the ACC.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:19 pm https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-sel ... versities/

But my understanding is that their current ACC contract precludes them from being a full member of a football conference other than the ACC.
their now former commish said it doesn't matter anymore for b1g inclusion.

there are folks on here that say that contracts don't matter. in the face of all evidence so far, but still...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:55 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:19 pm https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-sel ... versities/

there are folks on here that say that contracts don't matter. in the face of all evidence so far, but still...
It’s not that contracts “don’t matter,” they clearly do.

What you seemingly cannot grasp is the fact that contracts are not uncommonly amended, supplemented, or terminated in response to events or changed circumstances. The enforceability of contract terms are also frequently litigated, mediated, or arbitrated.

Contracts are better viewed as living documents that may be modified as necessary. They are not set in stone.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:50 pm

What you seemingly cannot grasp is the fact that contracts are not uncommonly amended, supplemented, or terminated in response to events or changed circumstances. The enforceability of contract terms are also frequently litigated, mediated, or arbitrated.

Contracts are better viewed as living documents that may be modified as necessary. They are not set in stone.

DocBarrister
i grasp it fine. you... have been wrong consistently. your time is up. you said the acc was done by last fall. hell, you probably predicted in 2013 they'd be done in a year. you really should just stop commenting on this with predictions and all the other strawmen and factual inaccuracies. it's tiresome and frankly useless. just enjoy your faux b1g inclusiion and leave it at that.

this won't sit well with you, of course, but g-damn... hopkins is in a cool lax conference. just enjoy it and/or just take an honest approach to all of this if you can't help yourself.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:02 am

DocBarrister
i grasp it fine. you... have been wrong consistently. your time is up. you said the acc was done by last fall. hell, you probably predicted in 2013 they'd be done in a year. you really should just stop commenting on this with predictions and all the other strawmen and factual inaccuracies. it's tiresome and frankly useless. just enjoy your faux b1g inclusiion and leave it at that.

this won't sit well with you, of course, but g-damn... hopkins is in a cool lax conference. just enjoy it and/or just take an honest approach to all of this if you can't help yourself.
What was I wrong about?

I clearly stated that the current ACC agreement was not going to remain unchanged until the 2030s. That’s proven to be true. The ACC is already in the process of distributing more money to the conference football powers. I also said the GOR was unlikely to remain intact over that period of time. It has been reported that at least 7 ACC schools were investigating ways around the GOR.

The current ACC agreements are not going to last another decade. The revenue gap is already too large and the ACC will not be able to remain a viable competitor to the SEC and B1G unless that revenue gap is closed or narrowed. Change is already underway.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Questions concerning the health of the ACC dominated three days of meetings at the conference's annual spring summit at the Ritz-Carlton tucked in the northeast corner of Florida. The worst-kept secret among members finally went public as athletic directors entered their first meeting Monday afternoon: seven of the 14 full-time members had partnered together to examine the conference's grant of rights and whether it was possible to form their own union or seek membership in the expanding SEC and Big Ten.

In public, it appeared a battle line was drawn between the 14 schools, but when the smoke settled following a four-hour meeting behind closed doors Monday among athletic directors, commissioner Jim Phillips exited confident, if not exactly assured, his conference's membership would remain unchanged in the coming years.

… Still, there was nowhere to hide from reality Wednesday. This was no place to hide behind anonymously-sourced reports or discount whispers of discontent as nothing more than conjecture on social media. Seven schools — Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia and Virginia Tech — had, in fact, partnered together to explore the possibility of leaving the ACC.

https://247sports.com/article/acc-reali ... 210380030/

That doesn’t sound like a healthy conference.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister

Can’t stay in the game this long being wrong waiting to be right unless it’s low stakes. Just have to take all declarations made like this as such. It’s small for a guy with so many degrees
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The thing that surprises me the most was how the acc went into panic mode when the Big Ten took its most lucrative member UMD. The ACC members combination of pride, inability to comprehend the big picture and lack of intelligence created the bulletproof grant of rights straitjacket. It doesn’t say much for the member schools quality of intelligent leadership.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:50 am

DocBarrister

Can’t stay in the game this long being wrong waiting to be right unless it’s low stakes. Just have to take all declarations made like this as such. It’s small for a guy with so many degrees
you only get to steal so many cookies from the cookie jar. it's just showing the bare minimum of etiquette, not to mention damage to your rep. you leave an empty cookie jar, people are gonna think you're weird. i'd say it's unbelievable, but it's actually very believable at the same time.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:33 am Questions concerning the health of the ACC dominated three days of meetings at the conference's annual spring summit at the Ritz-Carlton tucked in the northeast corner of Florida. The worst-kept secret among members finally went public as athletic directors entered their first meeting Monday afternoon: seven of the 14 full-time members had partnered together to examine the conference's grant of rights and whether it was possible to form their own union or seek membership in the expanding SEC and Big Ten.

In public, it appeared a battle line was drawn between the 14 schools, but when the smoke settled following a four-hour meeting behind closed doors Monday among athletic directors, commissioner Jim Phillips exited confident, if not exactly assured, his conference's membership would remain unchanged in the coming years.

… Still, there was nowhere to hide from reality Wednesday. This was no place to hide behind anonymously-sourced reports or discount whispers of discontent as nothing more than conjecture on social media. Seven schools — Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia and Virginia Tech — had, in fact, partnered together to explore the possibility of leaving the ACC.

https://247sports.com/article/acc-reali ... 210380030/

That doesn’t sound like a healthy conference.

DocBarrister
"Healthy conference" :lol:
As if such a thing exists in 2023.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:56 am

DocBarrister

you only get to steal so many cookies from the cookie jar. it's just showing the bare minimum of etiquette, not to mention damage to your rep. you leave an empty cookie jar, people are gonna think you're weird. i'd say it's unbelievable, but it's actually very believable at the same time.
Behavior driven by fear and anxiety around his own squads future. Drag everyone down around you to feel better.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:18 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:56 am

DocBarrister

Behavior driven by fear and anxiety around his own squads future. Drag everyone down around you to feel better.
You do realize that is precisely what you and wgdsr are doing? Classic projection.

Look, the ACC is in trouble. That’s not my opinion … it’s just the way things are right now. ACC schools are looking at their options, like any rational actor would do under the circumstances. Don’t take your fears and anxieties out on me. What have I been doing other than reporting news that you don’t want to hear or acknowledge?

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if you say so man, i have had nc$$ as my moniker for that "organization" for over 15 years probably. this entire complex has been built and stolen on the backs of others. you can get into ethnic and socioeconomic aspects, but as in many to all things it's been a power dynamic. they've had the juice.

they still do in many ways, but ouside institutions have finally been chipping away at that. if that hasn't been the main driver to all change we've been seeing, it's been a huge part for a lot of it and an undercurrent for the rest.

so we will keep seeing change until there's an equilibrium. i am not only resigned to that, but i fully expect and welcome that. it's just that i don't think i know what that looks like, or when. because the present day power brokers don't know either. so i sure as sh*t don't make absolute takes on that crystal ball ad nauseum, even as i continue to whiff.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:49 am if you say so man, i have had nc$$ as my moniker for that "organization" for over 15 years probably. this entire complex has been built and stolen on the backs of others. you can get into ethnic and socioeconomic aspects, but as in many to all things it's been a power dynamic. they've had the juice.

they still do in many ways, but ouside institutions have finally been chipping away at that. if that hasn't been the main driver to all change we've been seeing, it's been a huge part for a lot of it and an undercurrent for the rest.

so we will keep seeing change until there's an equilibrium. i am not only resigned to that, but i fully expect and welcome that. it's just that i don't think i know what that looks like, or when. because the present day power brokers don't know either. so i sure as sh*t don't make absolute takes on that crystal ball ad nauseum, even as i continue to whiff.
What does any of that even mean?

Bottom line, half the ACC schools were reportedly exploring ways to leave the conference. HALF.

That’s not my opinion. That’s just a fact … a fact that has negative implications for the long-term viability of the ACC. Doesn’t mean the ACC will ultimately break up. What it does mean is that ACC member schools are looking for some real change.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Stiffler

Post by Stiffler »

Interesting discussion. I think we all can agree that conference expansion isn't done and a combination of football & market are the drivers. SEC and Big10 seem to be in the best position to take on more schools. How it alters college lacrosse is tbd, but it will alter it, no doubt. My guess is agreements can be broken (UMD broke their's to jump to Big10), so I wouldn't take anything off the table. Could you imagine if a UNC, Uva or an ND jump's to Big10?
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Stiffler wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:03 am Interesting discussion. I think we all can agree that conference expansion isn't done and a combination of football & market are the drivers. SEC and Big10 seem to be in the best position to take on more schools. How it alters college lacrosse is tbd, but it will alter it, no doubt. My guess is agreements can be broken (UMD broke their's to jump to Big10), so I wouldn't take anything off the table. Could you imagine if a UNC, Uva or an ND jump's to Big10?
ND is the only ACC affiliate school that increases the payout per school. The B1G has locked down the 4 largest media markets. The B1G strategy is somewhat of an NFL model. Coast to Coast and poised to pull away from the SEC. I believe the B1G Will poach Texas and Florida from the SEC within 10 years offering more money and more academic prestige/research advantages. It will be a 20 team league adding Washington/ND/Texas/Florida.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:56 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:49 am if you say so man, i have had nc$$ as my moniker for that "organization" for over 15 years probably. this entire complex has been built and stolen on the backs of others. you can get into ethnic and socioeconomic aspects, but as in many to all things it's been a power dynamic. they've had the juice.

What does any of that even mean?

Bottom line, half the ACC schools were reportedly exploring ways to leave the conference. HALF.

That’s not my opinion. That’s just a fact … a fact that has negative implications for the long-term viability of the ACC. Doesn’t mean the ACC will ultimately break up. What it does mean is that ACC member schools are looking for some real change.

DocBarrister
this is not news!!!!! acc schools have been examining getting out of their gor with every discussion they see and have with other conferences and schools. and every new media blitz and contract the sec and b1g sign. they want out of it! at least every school that considers themselves a have and not a have not.

they hired a consultant to a big splash maybe 2 years ago to examine media rights bumps amd avenues. they created an agreement with the b1g and pac to block the sec until the b1g took ucla and usc. they explored media and scheduling and structure partnerships and mergers with the big 12 and pac. and that's only what i know and remember from the top of my head. uva has had attys and reps on it all along, i assume other schools have, too.

duh. everyone that follows this, knows this. you said last ~march/april '22 that the acc would implode by the fall of 2022. as a result of probably the usc ucla announcement. also went on about how notre dame was effed and would also be unable to get a big renewal contract and need to join the b1g. you've also been categorically wrong on media rights amounts, which then of course follow with insults... and blame it on bad media reports when they're from:
- places no one ever heard of
- bad absolute predictions from doc b (always wrong but never in doubt)
- bad 3rd grade math

without remembering all of your history on this and specifics, you have been calling for this and with expired timelines for about a decade.

now you've forgotten all those misses and the acc may survive after all? yeah, no kidding! they might not, also!!! and guess what, same thing goes for the b1g!!! they just might be last or 2nd to last.

7 acc schools looking into the gor isn't breaking, out of the blue news. it's a friday.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”