W&L 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Carroll81

Re: W&L 2023

Post by Carroll81 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:08 pm Is Alex Brown injured? Someone is in a sling on the sidelines
Shoulder injury in the ODAC final.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

What a game by Grove. Probably lost 70% of the face offs behind much of the second half, Swarthmore is playing make it take it. Their D was playing non stop. They will be tested tomorrow in the second half considering how much energy they expended today.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&L / Grove today. Like to see a fast start by the Generals and take control of the game early. Like to see Bou get his mojo back. Was 3-13 against Lynchburg and did not have 1 gb. Was 9-18 against Centre and Gallagher was 11-17. Assuming the Generals win they will most likely face Salisbury. They are at 56% at dot and in the cage only 52%.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Carroll81 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:06 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:08 pm Is Alex Brown injured? Someone is in a sling on the sidelines
Shoulder injury in the ODAC final.
If they move forward any chance he plays next week. Excellent player very efficient. 42 pts only 5 turnovers impressive
Dehuntshigwa’es

Great game by Grove, took the Generals to the wire. Congratulations Generals and good luck next week
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Generals were certainly not a their best today and were a little lucky to pull out a win. Too many careless passes and turnovers, a fair amount of standing around on offense in the second half,and inexplicably too many high shots that were chest high and easy saves.

Great energy and effort in the fourth quarter made the difference.

The 2004 loss to Salisbury was a travesty---get some revenge on Saturday!!
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Salisbury has been known to look ahead and come out flat in the quarters. Generals need to be ready to pounce, hang on through the counterpunch and come up with plays down the stretch.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Dwn2DaRvr2Pray wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:34 pm Tough loss for the Generals last night. This team really is on the precipice of greatness. Freshmen have shown they have the ability to really play, Cohen and Beatty will be 4-year starters at SSDM. Never seen Beatty smile though. Another freshman, John Lane, just got back from injury. He's an XTREMEly good player with a D1 frame. Want to see him in the mix. Who really shined vs. CNU was Samuel Mannino. Even being from preppy, coddled Fair Haven, he's a tough downhill dodger who can sweep to his right and dish while also possessing the ability to duck under when his right is overplayed. Seems like when the ball is in his stick good things happen. Rarely turns the ball over too.

There is an ex-W&L player back on campus for a 6th year as well by the name of Owen Taylor. McCabe should get in touch with him about coming back to the game and being a leader on this team. I think he could be a great addition to the squad. I remember him having a cannon back in 2018 I believe. He had a sick bulldodge in practice one time too.

Go gennies go jesus
Got ask about Lane. Saw his recruiting tape when he committed to W&L. Never could find out what the issue was with him not getting time. Is he healed and fully available now. I know it’s late but he looks like a player w big upside
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Im sure Lane is a good recruit, but if he was fighting injuries, etc. its a little late in the season to throw someone in to give him a shot. Im sure he will get into the mix next year as it seems the freshman and sophomore classes at W&L are very good.

Future seems bright in Lexington with their young talent. Shocking to think that this is their first quarterfinal appearance in 20 years! That is not a great stat. Good luck against Salisbury, steep hill to climb
Dehuntshigwa’es

MarionBarry wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:33 am Im sure Lane is a good recruit, but if he was fighting injuries, etc. its a little late in the season to throw someone in to give him a shot. Im sure he will get into the mix next year as it seems the freshman and sophomore classes at W&L are very good.

Future seems bright in Lexington with their young talent. Shocking to think that this is their first quarterfinal appearance in 20 years! That is not a great stat. Good luck against Salisbury, steep hill to climb
Never was considering him for this year. If you’ve seen his tape he’s someone that if healthy will be an impact player
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

And, while we are on the subject of Salisbury, there is a possibility (if they beat Gettysburg) that the nationally ranked #2 W&L women’s team will also be also be playing Salisbury this weekend. That would be in Lexington. And their only loss was in Lexington to York, which is the team playing Salisbury first. A lot about which to be jubilant or disappointed, depending on the results. It’s just great to even be talking about all of the possibilities at this time of year. It has been way too long.
The real beast

Post by The real beast »

Is this the best generals team in recent memory? When was the last time they made the quarters?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

The real beast wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:20 pm Is this the best generals team in recent memory? When was the last time they made the quarters?
So far, this is Coach McCabe's most successful team. It's been since 2004 since the Gennies made the Eliie 8. It's the first time in memory that I recall such significant contributions from freshmen but there is a good mix of all classes who are contributing to the Gennies success. So, it's on to the next one.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:54 am And, while we are on the subject of Salisbury, there is a possibility (if they beat Gettysburg) that the nationally ranked #2 W&L women’s team will also be also be playing Salisbury this weekend. That would be in Lexington. And their only loss was in Lexington to York, which is the team playing Salisbury first. A lot about which to be jubilant or disappointed, depending on the results. It’s just great to even be talking about all of the possibilities at this time of year. It has been way too long.
Great points. Watched the NCAA game on Sunday against Capital, this team plays extremely hard (they made me tired just watching them on the field) and hope they continue playing well and winning.

valaxfan
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

As a fan of Gettysburg and having watched the Bullets play and beat both the Generals and the Seagulls (sorry I had to throw that in there to dull the pain of an early exit :lol: ) I think W&L has a real shot at winning this game. If W&L can get Salisbury to play a lot of 1v1 hero ball which they are prone to do at times their offense tends to bog down, maybe throw a zone at them. These may be very cliche and simplistic but handling the simple things are the keys to victory.
Go 50/50 at the X
Limit penalties
Get an early lead
Avoid 4-5 goal runs by Salisbury
Good Luck I will be rooting for the Generals!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Laxdds wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:20 am As a fan of Gettysburg and having watched the Bullets play and beat both the Generals and the Seagulls (sorry I had to throw that in there to dull the pain of an early exit :lol: ) I think W&L has a real shot at winning this game. If W&L can get Salisbury to play a lot of 1v1 hero ball which they are prone to do at times their offense tends to bog down, maybe throw a zone at them. These may be very cliche and simplistic but handling the simple things are the keys to victory.
Go 50/50 at the X
Limit penalties
Get an early lead
All good points and true. I think W&L is very capable and has a great shot at knocking off the Gulls.
Should be a good one this weekend.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, the game is at Salisbury, and at this stage of the season the Gulls are really tough at home. The Gennies will have to be at their best throughout to have a shot. Go W&L!
Dehuntshigwa’es

There are 14 seniors I believe on this W&L team. This class has accomplished a tremendous amount individually and as a team. It’s taken 4 years to get to this one game, hope they enjoy the moment, they may not get to do this again. Hopefully the rest of the team won’t take this lightly. Some may think they’ll be back again - it’s taken almost 20 years for W&L to be in position again for a final 4. Play hard, trust in one another and have fun. Should be a great game
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:38 am
Laxdds wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:20 am As a fan of Gettysburg and having watched the Bullets play and beat both the Generals and the Seagulls (sorry I had to throw that in there to dull the pain of an early exit :lol: ) I think W&L has a real shot at winning this game. If W&L can get Salisbury to play a lot of 1v1 hero ball which they are prone to do at times their offense tends to bog down, maybe throw a zone at them. These may be very cliche and simplistic but handling the simple things are the keys to victory.
Go 50/50 at the X
Limit penalties
Get an early lead
All good points and true. I think W&L is very capable and has a great shot at knocking off the Gulls.
Should be a good one this weekend.
Great to be in the crowd at Gull Stadium with so many Generals fans today, a very good showing especially the parents, they are awesome. Generals played a good game, but Laxdds number 1 key ended up being the Generals undoing. We did not go 50/50 at the X, if we had, maybe more possessions, or kept them from the Gulls, maybe we have a chance. Got the game to 10-8, Boots missed a sure goal, and then we had an unforced error on that possession, and that was our last real chance to get close. Salisbury has some gifted and skilled players, just great athletes, and you give them one inch, they will take that mile. In the end, Salisbury is a better team, and deserves the win but we did have our chances. Very proud of Coach McCabe and staff, what a great season. Congrats to the seniors who played their last game, onward and upward in life. Hoping this is one of many more Elite Eights to come. Already looking forward to next year.

Go Generals!!

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Totally agree. It shows just how good this team was to overcome few face off wins and countless dropped passes or bad passes. In addition, a long away bus ride never makes it easier.

In the words of one of the Salisbury announcers after the game, “even with all of the headwind and obstacles that W&L faced, they still gave Salisbury all they could handle.”

I hope that this will help recruitment improve even more.

However, I noticed that the Generals have no commits yet for 2024 and the “interested players” are almost all from good, but not great high school programs. We have done well with a mix of those and a few “hotbed” schools,
however 2023 and 2024 are not looking quite as strong on paper. Of course, it may just be that we are getting very good “under the radar” and coachable raw talent, as opposed to perennially strong program bench players. I’d rather that be the case anyway if there was a choice.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”