Disrespect and Dismissal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

Disrespect and Dismissal

Post by LarryGamLax »

I thought what I watched last night on the Selection Show was sad. There are over 100 programs in D1 Women's Lacrosse and 70 in Men's Lacrosse. However, if you watched both selection shows last night you would think that the numbers were reversed as the Men's show was a half hour longer and gave more detail about the selections. The Women's program was rushed through and the commercials didn't help either. Also the content was lacking, but that was not because of the hosts. Whoever put this show together didn't give a crap about Women's Lacrosse. I watched the Women's D3 selection show today and it was better for content than what I watched last night.

Alyssa Murray Cometti(former Syracuse AA) wrote an article about the selections for Inside Lacrosse. I read it and below are my comments to her. I am NOT blaming her for what happened on the show, but I was curious as to why she said nothing about it.

Alyssa, you were a terrific player and I'm told a very nice person. Maybe that's why you don't want to tear into the selection committee. The Selection show was a joke. Why did Sheehan waste her time? The hosts rushed through those selections. There was no information give about teams like Central Michigan or Albany. It was disrespectful and someone should point that out other than me. The Denver thing is outrageous, but again it shows the lack of respect for teams that are not from Power 5 conferences. These things should be pointed out by people like you. The sport cannot be taken seriously until people and organizations are held accountable.

I would love to know what our Fanlax posters think.
Madlax59

Re: Disrespect and Dismissal

Post by Madlax59 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:52 pm I thought what I watched last night on the Selection Show was sad. There are over 100 programs in D1 Women's Lacrosse and 70 in Men's Lacrosse. However, if you watched both selection shows last night you would think that the numbers were reversed as the Men's show was a half hour longer and gave more detail about the selections. The Women's program was rushed through and the commercials didn't help either. Also the content was lacking, but that was not because of the hosts. Whoever put this show together didn't give a crap about Women's Lacrosse. I watched the Women's D3 selection show today and it was better for content than what I watched last night.

Alyssa Murray Cometti(former Syracuse AA) wrote an article about the selections for Inside Lacrosse. I read it and below are my comments to her. I am NOT blaming her for what happened on the show, but I was curious as to why she said nothing about it.

Alyssa, you were a terrific player and I'm told a very nice person. Maybe that's why you don't want to tear into the selection committee. The Selection show was a joke. Why did Sheehan waste her time? The hosts rushed through those selections. There was no information give about teams like Central Michigan or Albany. It was disrespectful and someone should point that out other than me. The Denver thing is outrageous, but again it shows the lack of respect for teams that are not from Power 5 conferences. These things should be pointed out by people like you. The sport cannot be taken seriously until people and organizations are held accountable.

I would love to know what our Fanlax posters think.
I thought Stanwick was fine. I thought Jay sounded bumbling and stumbling a few times. I agree with you they seemed to want to only focus on top 4. And reactions, no in depth stories about other teams.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Stanwick needed to go beyond being "surprised" at the Denver seeding fiasco. But she didn't. She won't bite the hand that feeds her.

Jeremy Fallis' article in USA Lacrosse outlined the situation pretty well:

BIGGEST SNUB
Denver being the No. 5 seed. As there wasn’t much controversy on the bubble, going with the 19-0 team that beat the ACC regular season and tournament champion (and 2022 NCAA finalist) seems fair. While the committee was being as objective as possible, few would have argued with Denver being the No. 3 or 4 seed, but being No. 5 seems disrespectful.

TOUGHEST DRAW
Denver again. The Pioneers were handed no favors by the committee. They will host Pac-12 champion USC in the first round, which seems inequitable given that unseeded Michigan gets to play Central Michigan.

Moreover, should Denver advance out of its pod, it would have to travel to North Carolina for the quarterfinals should the seeds hold. After that, a likely matchup with No. 1 Northwestern awaits, which makes Denver’s path to the NCAA title exceedingly difficult.

If I were Stanwick, I would have questioned the rigidity of RPI and SOS that honor the ACC and Big 10 teams for their high RPI schedules but penalize those teams who win every game (including six top 20 wins), but cannot get as many high RPI games on their schedules due to teams refusing to play them. Syracuse hasn't played Denver since 2015 (8 years) and has NEVER come to Denver. North Carolina hasn't played Denver in 12 years (since 2011), and Northwestern hasn't played a regular season game against Denver since 2009 and haven't played at Denver since 2005. You can't tell me that Liza Kelley isn't asking to play these teams? Come on. I'll credit BC and Maryland for playing Denver this year and both of them lost to Denver.

The system needs to change. RPI and SOS aren't great selection tools in short season sports with unequal schedules.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

If you really want to see disrespect look at how the ncaa treats d3. They gave AL bids to several schools who have no business being in the tourney and then created one of the 4 brackets that basically gives close to a bye to the FF to one team who w should beat up on all western and Midwest teams. Now I know no one cares about d3 but it’s pretty insulting to women’s sports / oh, I believe the coach of DePauw was on the committee and her team - 4th in their conference out of 7 and demolished in 5 losses - got a bid. What a surprise
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

This is the first year that the D1 women had their own selection show on ESPNU. no it was not as long as the men’s but at least it’s progress in the right direction.
DMac

Post by DMac »

....and it was a good show, IMO, I enjoyed it.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

My main piece of constructive criticism for these shows is to do a better job syncing up the announcement of a team making the tournament and the live feed from the team meeting room. There is often an awkward lag of several seconds between the broadcasters informing the school they were in and the team erupting in cheers.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Brownlax wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:39 am This is the first year that the D1 women had their own selection show on ESPNU. no it was not as long as the men’s but at least it’s progress in the right direction.
“Everyone thinks women should be thrilled when we get crumbs. And I want women to have the cake, the icing, and the cherry on top too.”
-- BIlly Jean King
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:08 pm
Brownlax wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:39 am This is the first year that the D1 women had their own selection show on ESPNU. no it was not as long as the men’s but at least it’s progress in the right direction.
“Everyone thinks women should be thrilled when we get crumbs. And I want women to have the cake, the icing, and the cherry on top too.”
-- BIlly Jean King
Rome wasn’t built in a day
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

laxfan22 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:20 am If you really want to see disrespect look at how the ncaa treats d3. They gave AL bids to several schools who have no business being in the tourney and then created one of the 4 brackets that basically gives close to a bye to the FF to one team who w should beat up on all western and Midwest teams. Now I know no one cares about d3 but it’s pretty insulting to women’s sports / oh, I believe the coach of DePauw was on the committee and her team - 4th in their conference out of 7 and demolished in 5 losses - got a bid. What a surprise
D2 has no AQs at all.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Interesting. My issue isn’t with teams that get an automatic bid though. Win your conference and get in.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

laxfan22 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:09 pm Interesting. My issue isn’t with teams that get an automatic bid though. Win your conference and get in.
Yes it’s with AL bids. D2 is entirely AL. Conference champions have been left out of the tournament before more than several times. It’s just very different from D1 and D3, that’s all.
Bart

Post by Bart »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:19 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:09 pm Interesting. My issue isn’t with teams that get an automatic bid though. Win your conference and get in.
Yes it’s with AL bids. D2 is entirely AL. Conference champions have been left out of the tournament before more than several times. It’s just very different from D1 and D3, that’s all.
As you probably know it is a regional format. Basted on regional RPI.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:22 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:19 pm
As you probably know it is a regional format. Basted on regional RPI.
Yes it is indeed. At least there are more defined regions now!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”