SUNYAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
dp68

Re: SUNYAC 2023

Post by dp68 »

kuzandrat wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:39 pm So what happens if Geneseo beats Brockport, New Paltz beats oneonta, Oneonta loses to Geneseo, and Brockport beats New Paltz? There could be a three way tie for 4th with 3 teams at 3-4? What would be the tiebreakers if all three split with each other? :? :?
You just made my head hurt, lol. I have no idea what the SUNYAC does in that case. Given that Brockport hosts New Paltz, that result isn't out of the question. I still think New Paltz will win, but you brought up a valid concern.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

dp68 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:00 pm
kuzandrat wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:39 pm So what happens if Geneseo beats Brockport, New Paltz beats oneonta, Oneonta loses to Geneseo, and Brockport beats New Paltz? There could be a three way tie for 4th with 3 teams at 3-4? What would be the tiebreakers if all three split with each other? :? :?
You just made my head hurt, lol. I have no idea what the SUNYAC does in that case. Given that Brockport hosts New Paltz, that result isn't out of the question. I still think New Paltz will win, but you brought up a valid concern.
Probably either Points Against or common out of conference opponent
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:54 pm Early prediction is Oneonta by 4
I should have made a late prediction :lol:

Congrats to New Paltz. They keep on climbing and are going to be a team to be reckoned with for the near future
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
SCO8293

Post by SCO8293 »

So the final seed wont be decided until Saturday. What are the thoughts on the conference awards this year?

Offensive Player of the Year-
Defensive Player of the Year-
Rookie of the Year -
Coaching Staff-

Assuming O'Neil is a lock for the Rookie of the Year but the others looking for thoughts?
Last edited by SCO8293 on Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kuzandrat

Post by kuzandrat »

dp68 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:00 pm
My brain hurt last night watching Brockport at Geneseo :( Lucky I had some cash on me, they actually charged admission for a regular season game. :shock: :shock:
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

So I was able to find the 2021 Championship handbook for the SUNYAC. It was an odd year where it was just the top 2 teams from each side in the final 4 but in the handbook they referenced “standard application of tiebreakers” which I assume means this is the strategy from the past. In which case there is some clarity for this weekend and seeding:

Right now the top 3 are set:

1. Geneseo
2. Cortland
3. Oswego

4 is where things get interesting. The cleanest scenario is New Paltz wins at Brockport to give a clear cut 4 seed

If Brockport is to win and Oneonta loses to Geneseo there is a 3 team tie at 3-4 in conference.

First tie breaker is head to head record

Oneonta beat Brockport
New Paltz beat Oneonta
Brockprot would have beaten New Paltz

Second Tie breaker is Conference Goal differential amongst the tied teams up to 6 goals

Going into Saturday

Oneonta +5
New Paltz - 7
Brockport -10

Which it would appear means that Oneonta, regardless of how Saturday would go is in the playoff since the worst they could finish is a -1 and best Brockport could finish is a -4. New Paltz only way to move up is to win and that negates the tiebreaker.

Hopefully I’m right and haven’t wasted everyone’s time with this tiebreaker scenario.
Leonard Washington

boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:53 am So I was able to find the 2021 Championship handbook for the SUNYAC. It was an odd year where it was just the top 2 teams from each side in the final 4 but in the handbook they referenced “standard application of tiebreakers” which I assume means this is the strategy from the past. In which case there is some clarity for this weekend and seeding:

Right now the top 3 are set:

1. Geneseo
2. Cortland
3. Oswego

4 is where things get interesting. The cleanest scenario is New Paltz wins at Brockport to give a clear cut 4 seed

If Brockport is to win and Oneonta loses to Geneseo there is a 3 team tie at 3-4 in conference.

First tie breaker is head to head record

Oneonta beat Brockport
New Paltz beat Oneonta
Brockprot would have beaten New Paltz

Second Tie breaker is Conference Goal differential amongst the tied teams up to 6 goals

Going into Saturday

Oneonta +5
New Paltz - 7
Brockport -10

Which it would appear means that Oneonta, regardless of how Saturday would go is in the playoff since the worst they could finish is a -1 and best Brockport could finish is a -4. New Paltz only way to move up is to win and that negates the tiebreaker.

Hopefully I’m right and haven’t wasted everyone’s time with this tiebreaker scenario.

Most of the above post is correct except that the second tiebreaker is goal differential amongst the tied teams against each other.

So currently

Brockport -3 (Lost to Oneonta by 3)
New Paltz +1 (Beat Oneonta by 1)
Oneonta +2 (beat Brockport by 3, lost to New Paltz by 1)

If New Paltz loses they are out

Meaning Brockport has to beat New Paltz by a (the) minimum of 6 goals or they are out and Oneonta is in (Oneonta had the H2H over them)
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Congratulations to Geneseo. They left no doubt for the second time this season and have a shot to do damage in the NCAA tournament. Great coach and recruiter.

Cortland has big questions to answer about their program. They’ve fallen further and further for the last 10 years and are no longer the team to beat in their own conference. A real shame considering how proud their tradition is and how many great players and coaches came through Cortland. I can’t imagine the athletics department is thrilled with the program’s direction.
Leonard Washington

Cortland tried to impose their will early and it looked a little shaky for the Knights going down 3-0. Geneseo withstood the early wave, didn't wilt under the pressure because it was Cortland and took it to the (former) top dog in the SUNYAC. It's interesting that all 4 of Geneseos losses have come against the Liberty League (Clarkson and Ithaca were definitely winnable games where the Knights were up). Intrigued to see who they draw.

As for Cortland, well (not including covid) their streak of making NCAAs each year since 2001 (Lelan Rogers 1st year as Head Coach) is now over. Some would say it is kind of a head scratcher with the athletes and talent they have on that roster. Not sure what the future holds for them, hopefully they figure it out and soon. Lucky for the Red Dragons, as it stands, the SUNYAC is two team race, but the new king of the block resides in the 14454. Based on this year's results, that may not change for a while.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

That was my thought, but it also looked like Plattsburgh would stay near the top. Then the coach left. You’d have to think Bezek will receive offers. D1 or a private D3 with a major program. He’ll have options.
Leonard Washington

dp68 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:13 pm That was my thought, but it also looked like Plattsburgh would stay near the top. Then the coach left. You’d have to think Bezek will receive offers. D1 or a private D3 with a major program. He’ll have options.
Despite the coaching change(s) Plattsburgh hasn't had the track record and consistency that Geneseo has had on the field, especially when it comes to Cortland, going back to Lyons, through Fiorerntino and now Bezek.

Not sure Bezek will be getting a ton of offers, at this moment based on the landscape (or if he is even looking for that matter). Could he go back to Lemoyne if Sheehan hung it up in the future? Absolutely. If Barnard ever left Hamilton, I could see him throwing his hat in the ring. Credit to him for being the first Coach ever in the SUNYAC to beat Cortland twice in one year.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Yes, Geneseo was a thorn in Cortland’s side even in the early 80s. I recall someone on this forum posted the salaries for SUNY coaches. I don’t recall Geneseo paying its coaches much, but I could be wrong.

Not sure if you saw the Geneseo Ithaca stream. Geneseo led by two with one minute remaining and had the ball. Turnover, score Then another IC goal as time expired to force OT. Geneseo had more talent but just blew it.

They show all the signs of great coaching. They’re getting better as the season progresses.
Leonard Washington

I watch way too much SUNYAC and Liberty lacrosse ;)

So yes.

I wonder if there is an ECAC tournament this year, will Cortland participate in it? Ok, well maybe that's going to far :lol:
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Ouch.

Cortland made me a lax fan. I grew up a mile from the field. Pretty fortunate to see my first game played at such a high level. I was there for all their rivalry games with Hobart, Cornell, Ithaca, SU. Those were wild days.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:36 pm Lucky for the Red Dragons, as it stands, the SUNYAC is two team race, but the new king of the block resides in the 14454. Based on this year's results, that may not change for a while.
I'm not sure how long that will last. Don't know much about the New Paltz staff, but that program has recruiting advantages and is getting better fast. If the Cortland situation remains as is, I think New Paltz will catch Cortland in 2 years and pass them in 3 or 4.

Three strong SUNYAC teams would sure make the conference a lot more viable.
Leonard Washington

dp68 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:24 pm Three strong SUNYAC teams would sure make the conference a lot more viable.
Agreed.

That being said, it is going to take a full recruiting cycle (4 years), minimum , IMO for any team to push up towards the top and challenge Geneseo or Cortland. Half the coaches in the league are new. We know what SUNYs are paying these guys (can easily be looked up) , hopefully they stay. New Paltz has a great location and majors other SUNYs do not offer.

The campus itself isn't for every recruit that steps foot on there and there are some questions in administration. Upgrade in a number of the facilities wouldn't hurt either (but I guess we could say that about a number of places lol).
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:21 pm
dp68 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:24 pm Three strong SUNYAC teams would sure make the conference a lot more viable.
Agreed.

That being said, it is going to take a full recruiting cycle (4 years), minimum , IMO for any team to push up towards the top and challenge Geneseo or Cortland. Half the coaches in the league are new. We know what SUNYs are paying these guys (can easily be looked up) , hopefully they stay. New Paltz has a great location and majors other SUNYs do not offer.

The campus itself isn't for every recruit that steps foot on there and there are some questions in administration. Upgrade in a number of the facilities wouldn't hurt either (but I guess we could say that about a number of places lol).
Always appreciate your takes.

We're building a house in Ithaca. If you're ever in the area and want to check out some LL or SUNY lax, shoot me a message. I'd enjoy watching a game with a fellow lax nut.
Leonard Washington

Not a problem 8-)
Leonard Washington

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Amherst is (probably) going to handle Geneseo by 7.

Tough draw for the SUNYAC Champs

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”