Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxguywm

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by laxguywm »

GREAT POST - enjoy coaching the little guys - teach them the correct way to play (sports and life) - someday they will be the BIG GUYS!!!! GO HOP !!
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Game notes are up. At this point of the year, no need for 16's Kremlinological parsings.

DK has the Terps as a 1.5 goal favorite, with the O/U at 23.5. Can't say I have a good read on this game, other than to say these are two fairly-evenly matched teams. Guessing that Zapitello will be out for the Terps. His understudy is going to be a star, but at this point hasn't played enough and so may be exploitable if you get him to overcommit (see the Angelus goal in the first matchup).

Feels good to say that this won't be the last home game of the year, even if they lose. Win this one, get a top 5 seed. Lose and we're in the 6-8 range. Pretty meaningful change in the quality of the first round opponent.

If Dunn/Nawreski/Callahan can keep the f/o battle close to 50/50, I think the Jays pull it out. They've cut down on TOs a lot and I'm feeling pretty optimistic that Marcille has a good game (he's still north of .500 for the year). Jays by 3, 13-10.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

Chitown wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 pmFor 135 years there is an emphasis on team play and the execution of fundamentals.
I wasn't around in 1883, so I cannot speak to team play and execution of fundamentals, but that said, that's when I start counting.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Chitown wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 pmWe have never "retired" a numbered jersey.
Retiring numbers or having a singular fetish over a number -- we'd have run out of numbers.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Chitown wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 pm I am now going to coach little 10 year old boys
So what do you say when your grandsons run you into the dirt? :lol:
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:19 pm
Chitown wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 pm I am now going to coach little 10 year old boys
So what do you say when your grandsons run you into the dirt? :lol:
"Nice game."
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:17 pm
Chitown wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 pmWe have never "retired" a numbered jersey.
Retiring numbers or having a singular fetish over a number -- we'd have run out of numbers.
Were numbers even invented when you relics were playing?

I know the ancient Sumerians had a Sexagesimal counting system, but was that before or after your time?!?

Also, is it really true that “Hopkins” was written in cuneiform on your uniforms during your playing days??? Heard your helmets were made of bronze with the tin imported from Mesopotamia. And the shot clock was a sun dial?

DocBarrister (all respect to the Ancient Ones) ;)
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Chitown wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 pm
I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I really don't understand the criticism Of Peter Millman. I think that he has done a very good job.
I mean prior to the start of this season he was what 11-18. You can certainly argue about the issues that PM had to face when he took over the job. A team that certainly lacked talent to compete at the schedule devised, changing jobs during the middle of pandemic, restricted ability to recruict because of the same pandemic but there certainly could be criticism on his actions. The end of the season getting your doors blown off in the last home game against your biggest rival wasn't exactly endearing.

You can also criticize him for how the schedule was constructed this year. It seemed very challenging given where the team ended last year and the weird dynamic of playing several game within 2-3 days of each other (and the back end game wasn't a little of the sister of poor type game).

You could certainly state that this year was very critical for him and where he was going to take the direction of the program. I've stated in the past, a similar year to the first 2 years would place a great deal of pressure on the 4th year. Now, he's certainly raised the bar as to expectation moving forward. But, that is a good thing.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Chitown wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 pm
I am now going to coach little 10 year old boys. One of whom put me in my place when he asked me if
One of the great joys I have in life is coaching my kid's teams in various sports (lax, basketball, football and flag football) and thankfully, my wife has not killed me in the fact I coach most seasons. It has not only brought me closer to them but also to their friends. My younger son is only in 3rd grade so I still have about 5 more years to go but it will be a sad day when I can no longer coach them. I'll need another avenue to channel my desire to coach. Not sure what I'm going to do.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hopkins and Maryland are about to take the field in less than 10 hours and it's pretty quiet around here. I guess it's the second time around in so many days. It's fairly obvious what Hopkins has to do to make Saturday's final:
- Battle Wierman to some initial possession numbers that are reasonable and not dominated by the All American
- Replicate the ground ball play from the last game - Foy from Inside lacrosse discusses that point in the Hopkins section of his latest article
- Don't lose the turnover statistic by any sizeable margin AND possibly most important:

Marcille needs to play better at job #1. I would bet Tillman and the Maryland coaches stressed that 33 shots (virtually half in 1 quarter) and 17 SOGs - and you still score 11 - is a big contributor to why they lost. I would expect them to come out firing from all angles and if TIm can get to the 50-55% Mendoza line that means they have to put at least 5 more shots on goal to get to 11. I know there are some Maryland posters who wish their team would shoot better but I don't think you can count on essentially 50% SOG again. In addition, despite some possible injuries on the defensive side - Maryland has added back a lethal shooter with his mobility returned.

The difference between the 4 or 5 seed in the NCAA tournament and the 6 seed is potentially huge. 4 or 5 means you only have to play 2 of the "Big 3" to get to the promised land - 6 or 7 means you probably have to play all 3. Upsets can happen of course but I think I would rather be on that side of the bracket.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Good luck to the Jays and the fans today. It’s going to be a tough task to beat Maryland twice. My gut says the Jays take it by a goal.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Any radio for these game???
molo

Post by molo »

Edward Lee has a nice article in the Sun this morning about Narteski, whose older brother died in a motorcycle accident in 2010. Millliman bans jewelry for games and practice but has been flexible with Narewski, who wears a necklace with a picture of his late brother. Parents sponsor a fund for people following the brother’s career as an electrician.
I don’t wear jewelry myself and think maybe it could be a little dangerous, but it seems a somewhat odd rule to be impose by a coach who is fairly heavily inked.
Good luck this afternoon. Weather will be a tad chilly for May but comfortable for the players.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:27 am Edward Lee has a nice article in the Sun this morning about Narteski, whose older brother died in a motorcycle accident in 2010. Millliman bans jewelry for games and practice but has been flexible with Narewski, who wears a necklace with a picture of his late brother. Parents sponsor a fund for people following the brother’s career as an electrician.
I don’t wear jewelry myself and think maybe it could be a little dangerous, but it seems a somewhat odd rule to be impose by a coach who is fairly heavily inked.
Good luck this afternoon. Weather will be a tad chilly for May but comfortable for the players.
Melendez has been wearing a very large cross necklace during games. It doesn't sound like a rule that is really enforced. And it's also completely different from having tattoos. Very weird thing to bring up.

51 — be careful what you wish for about the thread being quiet. Who's ready for a round of discourse about the coach having tattoos?

As for the game — Maryland opened as 1.5 goal favorite despite being on the road and losing the first matchup and likely not having Zappitello available. I found that a little odd but Vegas has been wrong about the Jays all season. Pretty sure their record against the spread is the exact same as their actual record — 11-4.

Coach Kelly posted a video from practice yesterday and there was someone standing in a boot on the sidelines. It was blurry and may have been Todaro (perhaps he graduated from the scooter) but it also looked like it could have been a rather important SSDM. Guess we will find out soon.
molo

Post by molo »

Simply meant that on an era where lots of players where jewelry it seemed odd to impose restrictions and assumed that a person who likes tattoos wouldn’t be inclined to ban other kinds of personal expression.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:47 am Simply meant that on an era where lots of players where jewelry it seemed odd to impose restrictions and assumed that a person who likes tattoos wouldn’t be inclined to ban other kinds of personal expression.
It's a safety thing. It's not odd at all. In fact, it's odd to equate the two.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If you're going I guess you could see a baseball game and a lacrosse game at the same time from the stands.

CentennialConference
@CentennialConf

BASE | CC TOURNAMENT

@JHUBaseball
🆚
@HCFords_BSB

⏰ 3:00pm
📍Babb Field at Stromberg Stadium
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:42 am
molo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:27 am Edward Lee has a nice article in the Sun this morning about Narteski, whose older brother died in a motorcycle accident in 2010. Millliman bans jewelry for games and practice but has been flexible with Narewski, who wears a necklace with a picture of his late brother. Parents sponsor a fund for people following the brother’s career as an electrician.
Melendez has been wearing a very large cross necklace during games. It doesn't sound like a rule that is really enforced. And it's also completely different from having tattoos. Very weird thing to bring up.

51 — be careful what you wish for about the thread being quiet. Who's ready for a round of discourse about the coach having tattoos?

As for the game — Maryland opened as 1.5 goal favorite despite being on the road and losing the first matchup and likely not having Zappitello available. I found that a little odd but Vegas has been wrong about the Jays all season. Pretty sure their record against the spread is the exact same as their actual record — 11-4.

Coach Kelly posted a video from practice yesterday and there was someone standing in a boot on the sidelines. It was blurry and may have been Todaro (perhaps he graduated from the scooter) but it also looked like it could have been a rather important SSDM. Guess we will find out soon.
i'm not sure if this is just a throwaway line or if it needs to be clarified, but vegas is only wrong if people have been piling $$ into hopkins all year and they don't care to lose $$. they are setting lines to balance expected bets and scrape vig. that is all they are doing. if anyone believes 1/2 the bettors have it all wrong, you take the line.

if anyone has any insight into the subjects and meaning of pm's tats, i'm all ears.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Today illustrates how much seeding matters. A 2OT loss means the Jays are playing Maryland instead of Michigan.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:38 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:42 am

i'm not sure if this is just a throwaway line or if it needs to be clarified, but vegas is only wrong if people have been piling $$ into hopkins all year and they don't care to lose $$. they are setting lines to balance expected bets and scrape vig. that is all they are doing. if anyone believes 1/2 the bettors have it all wrong, you take the line.

if anyone has any insight into the subjects and meaning of pm's tats, i'm all ears.
this is the best and most extensive profile of milliman I've seen. It was commissioned by the university however.
https://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2021/sprin ... -milliman/

Petro was never shy about his passion for life and that mullet picture of his was celebrated for decades. I'm not sure why PM's artwork matters.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”