Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by NovaHound »

I hate to break it to you but there are very good players on every team in the Patriot League and there are no "gimme games" anymore. Colgate lost to Army by 1. And every team gets up for Loyola due to its standard for excellence.

Give me an ffen' break. Hounds won.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Had a chance to watch the game today after missing it live:

- Pacheco got up and performed admirably well, and it’s great he scored a goal. He got on a streak which gave our offense stability to get some sets flowing
- Interesting enough on the offensive personell it looks like they are running lindsey out of the box now. Keep the Lineup IMO of poitras James and minicus as they scored 12 points.
- Ball movement on some of these goals was wonderful in getting inside looks. Also having minicus shoot the outside rip from that far out on man up gives the Staff another puzzle piece to work with
- I wish they can be more consistent on who is playing for goalie
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Additionally, the team showed they have the fortitude to come back down 5-2 in the 2nd quarter and also bulled their necks when the game was tight.

Onto Lehigh, this next game provides a great opportunity for not only seeding in the PL tourney but also to get a win against a good team on the road. They have to show up for this away game
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:18 pm I hate to break it to you but there are very good players on every team in the Patriot League and there are no "gimme games" anymore. Colgate lost to Army by 1. And every team gets up for Loyola due to its standard for excellence.

Give me an ffen' break. Hounds won.
Really? Didn’t know those stars. How about the fact that Colgate threw the ball away 18 times. Many of which were just brutal. There is a reason why they’ve won only one game. Yes Hounds won. Yes. Second half was good. My point is they need to play much better Friday v Lehigh and , hopefully in the playoffs.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

In other news, the staff picked up a new 2023 commit for their class.

Quinn Wojcik out of Westfield senior high school. My guess with the 2nd goalie commit is that in the event that teitelbaum does not come back for his grad year and with Whitaker leaving this year, the goalie room would be down to two. With these two 2023 guys the room gets back up to 4 for next year
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:18 pm In other news, the staff picked up a new 2023 commit for their class.

Quinn Wojcik out of Westfield senior high school. My guess with the 2nd goalie commit is that in the event that teitelbaum does not come back for his grad year and with Whitaker leaving this year, the goalie room would be down to two. With these two 2023 guys the room gets back up to 4 for next year
What’s the word on FOGO? Any in the pipeline?

Friday will be tough with Sisselberger and Lehigh. Really need the veterans to step up and lead. Would love to see the freshmen who were so good early (Haberman and Murphy) start contributing again. Any word on Houlihan’s injury status? Looked like he dislocated his shoulder last week.

Go Hounds!!!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:25 am
houndace1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:18 pm In other news, the staff picked up a new 2023 commit for their class.

Friday will be tough with Sisselberger and Lehigh. Really need the veterans to step up and lead. Would love to see the freshmen who were so good early (Haberman and Murphy) start contributing again. Any word on Houlihan’s injury status? Looked like he dislocated his shoulder last week.

Go Hounds!!!
They have a really good FOGO in the 2023 class- Carson Hall. There’s also no short of offensive talent in this class either. IL might not have given them stars but if you click their profiles and see the write ups as well as their highlight tapes on YouTube you will be very impressed. Two of their commits is a QB type of attackman (similar to Davis and Aidan, and a little bit like Pat).

2024 has another QB attackman with mason cook, and a darn good Fogo who draws comparisons to Bailey Savio.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:25 am

Go Hounds!!!
I agree that Lehigh will be tough. And Sisselberger is fantastic at winning the clamp, but he does tend to struggle as a ball carrier. I wonder if we will concede the clamp and instead focus on creating turnovers.

Yes, it looked to me like Houlihan dislocated his shoulder TWICE! After the first time, I saw him arguing with the trainers, presumably about going back in. He was visibly upset after it happened the second time. It was painful watching him play with one hand until they mercifully stopped the game to let him come off the field. Having dislocated my shoulder once at a much older age, I really feel for him. It is no fun. Mine took me months of PT to get back to normal, but we saw Minicus suffer a similar injury and only miss 2 games. I wish Houlihan a speedy recovery. My worry is that if his shoulder is loose enough to pop out twice, he may need surgery to tighten it up, based on what my doc told me.

Big game on Friday. Go Hounds!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Regarding Fridays game, loyola put up
Some game notes already. IMO it’s super important that we beat Lehigh and that navy loses to bucknell because that gives us hosting rights for the quarter final where we will play lafayette.

Patriot League Championships Scenarios

Loyola has clinched a berth in the Patriot League Championships and will play a quarterfinal game on Tuesday, May 2.
If Loyola beats Lehigh, and Bucknell tops Navy, on Friday night, Loyola will host Lafayette in that game. Wins by Loyola and Navy means the Greyhounds will head back to Lehigh for the quarterfinal. A Lehigh win on Friday secures Loyola a trip to Annapolis, Maryland, for a game against Navy.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Man, I don't like those scenarios at all. I do think we can beat Navy, but it will be tough to take two against Lehigh.

Come on Bucknell. You can do it!! Win it at home!!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Given the scenarios, is there any chance Toomey thinks to lose the game on Friday to get the matchup against navy?

Or do they go for the win and place hope on bucknell to get the job done. These are 4 tough playoff scenarios
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:00 pm Given the scenarios, is there any chance Toomey thinks to lose the game on Friday to get the matchup against navy?

Or do they go for the win and place hope on bucknell to get the job done. These are 4 tough playoff scenarios
There is zero chance Charley tries to lose EVER. One of the most competitive guys I’ve ever met. He believes they can beat anyone (like they did v MD and JHU) and wants to go into playoffs on a win streak. This team seems all about confidence. Win Friday and beat them again next week. Pretty simple to me.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:14 pm
houndace1 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:00 pm Given the scenarios, is there any chance Toomey thinks to lose the game on Friday to get the matchup against navy?

There is zero chance Charley tries to lose EVER. One of the most competitive guys I’ve ever met. He believes they can beat anyone (like they did v MD and JHU) and wants to go into playoffs on a win streak. This team seems all about confidence. Win Friday and beat them again next week. Pretty simple to me.
I’m merely curious with this next question but where does this belief come from? How does he instill in it his players and staff that they can play and beat anyone despite challenges
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

I played for him. I know him. It’s the Loyola underdog mentality that he instills. It’s the “we don’t get five stars”. It’s the diamond in the rough recruiting. It’s the “nobody wanted you but we did”. Believe me it works.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:08 pm I played for him. I know him. It’s the Loyola underdog mentality that he instills. It’s the “we don’t get five stars”. It’s the diamond in the rough recruiting. It’s the “nobody wanted you but we did”. Believe me it works.

You don’t have to answer this here but whats his recruiting pitch like? Does he go for the kids he wants vs what IL says are 4-5 stars? Does he go for kids that can play to the system, or the talented kids that will eventually fit into the system

How does he sell the school to the HS juniors and seniors that he wants to come play
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:09 am Regarding Fridays game, loyola put up
Some game notes already. IMO it’s super important that we beat Lehigh and that navy loses to bucknell because that gives us hosting rights for the quarter final where we will play lafayette.

Patriot League Championships Scenarios

Loyola has clinched a berth in the Patriot League Championships and will play a quarterfinal game on Tuesday, May 2.
If Loyola beats Lehigh, and Bucknell tops Navy, on Friday night, Loyola will host Lafayette in that game. Wins by Loyola and Navy means the Greyhounds will head back to Lehigh for the quarterfinal. A Lehigh win on Friday secures Loyola a trip to Annapolis, Maryland, for a game against Navy.
Man, I was racking my brain trying to figure out how Navy gets the #3 seed in the event Loyola and Navy both win on Friday. In this case, Lehigh, Loyola, and Navy would all be tied at 5-3, where Navy has a win over Loyola, Loyola has a win over Lehigh, and Lehigh has a win over Navy. It turns out the tiebreaker here is record against higher seeds. Lehigh and Loyola both lost to Army and BU, however Navy lost to Army but beat BU. So, despite Navy's loss to #8 Colgate, they win the tiebreaker based on their BU win.

Regardless of the potential consequences, I agree with formerhound that no professional coach would intentionally lose a game, and definitely not Toomey.
Let's hope the Hounds regain that early-season magic and win the next four. We'll see where it goes from there.

Go Hounds!
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:15 pm
Formerhound wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:08 pm I played for him. I know him. It’s the Loyola underdog mentality that he instills. It’s the “we don’t get five stars”. It’s the diamond in the rough recruiting. It’s the “nobody wanted you but we did”. Believe me it works.

You don’t have to answer this here but whats his recruiting pitch like? Does he go for the kids he wants vs what IL says are 4-5 stars? Does he go for kids that can play to the system, or the talented kids that will eventually fit into the system

How does he sell the school to the HS juniors and seniors that he wants to come play
He told me it’s not about stars. It’s about the Hounds wanting you. It’s about playing earlier that many high end programs. It’s about knowing the coach isn’t leaving for a “better job”. It’s about the way he talks about family and friendships. It’s about getting recruited and being told you have a chance to win a National Championship. It’s about the school: big sport on Campus not the fifth or sixth best. It’s about the Greyhound experience. Toomey knows how to recruit.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

+1
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I lost power last night and didn’t see most of the game. I saw the score and box this morning. Thoughts on the game and moving on to Navy?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:18 am I lost power last night and didn’t see most of the game. I saw the score and box this morning. Thoughts on the game and moving on to Navy?
Did not miss much, Down 5-2 after 1...Stuggled to clear at times, out gb and as expected did not fair well at face off. Little or no production from the midfield, attack came to play.

Anyone know why Wyers did not play? Cole lit the defense up.

The question is, is this team mentally ready to play Navy or have they packed it in. There is a great opportunity here to upset the midship

Gone are the days that the Patriot League tournament went through Ridley

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”