York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: York 2023

Post by Asgot »

York needs to do what they do, which is try and control the tempo, do not let RIT get runouts, and finish their shots. York's shooting was better against Ursinus and they did not turn the ball over as they did against W&L. Last year, RIT double-poled the wings which negated York's FOGO advantage. I think for York to win they need to value the ball and take better shots. York also needs to do a better job on the ground and contesting more of the GB's. I think that York has a chance to win but they need to do the things above and get better goalie play than they have been 50% is not going to cut it against RIT.

I wonder if Eric Burbank is telling the York guys what his brothers' weaknesses are?

I would not be surprised to see the York short sticks go right after Noah Bruno. That will be a fun matchup
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Asgot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:48 am York needs to do what they do, which is try and control the tempo, do not let RIT get runouts, and finish their shots. York's shooting was better against Ursinus and they did not turn the ball over as they did against W&L. Last year, RIT double-poled the wings which negated York's FOGO advantage. I think for York to win they need to value the ball and take better shots. York also needs to do a better job on the ground and contesting more of the GB's. I think that York has a chance to win but they need to do the things above and get better goalie play than they have been 50% is not going to cut it against RIT.

I wonder if Eric Burbank is telling the York guys what his brothers' weaknesses are?

I would not be surprised to see the York short sticks go right after Noah Bruno. That will be a fun matchup
Interesting thought topic, who has the better advantage in a familiarity perspective? Bruno has gone against all of the York middies countless of times over the past few years so he is familiar with all of their moves and strengths. On the other hand, the York Middies have gone against him and know how to beat him. I would think Bruno has the slight advantage because it is easier to take someone strengths away as a defender as opposed to attacking a weakness as an offensive guy.

Similarly with Burbank and his brother, do you think the goalie knows where the offensive guy likes to shoot and will that help him track the ball? or will Eric know his brothers weaknesses and go for those spots?(e.g. off-stick low or hips)

It is always fun watching brothers or former teammates go against each other.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:05 am
Asgot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:48 am York needs to do what they do, which is try and control the tempo, do not let RIT get runouts, and finish their shots. York's shooting was better against Ursinus and they did not turn the ball over as they did against W&L. Last year, RIT double-poled the wings which negated York's FOGO advantage. I think for York to win they need to value the ball and take better shots. York also needs to do a better job on the ground and contesting more of the GB's. I think that York has a chance to win but they need to do the things above and get better goalie play than they have been 50% is not going to cut it against RIT.

Interesting thought topic, who has the better advantage in a familiarity perspective? Bruno has gone against all of the York middies countless of times over the past few years so he is familiar with all of their moves and strengths. On the other hand, the York Middies have gone against him and know how to beat him. I would think Bruno has the slight advantage because it is easier to take someone strengths away as a defender as opposed to attacking a weakness as an offensive guy.

Similarly with Burbank and his brother, do you think the goalie knows where the offensive guy likes to shoot and will that help him track the ball? or will Eric know his brothers weaknesses and go for those spots?(e.g. off-stick low or hips)

There are two freshman middies that have been rotating in with the stating 3. Bruno hasn’t gone again them yet. Both are very quick and shifty.

It’s going to come down to transition play. York has to slow the game down. They must do well on rides and clears. And limit the mental turnovers.

RIT is beatable this year.
ergit

Post by ergit »

AbeFroeman wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:17 am

There are two freshman middies that have been rotating in with the stating 3. Bruno hasn’t gone again them yet. Both are very quick and shifty.

It’s going to come down to transition play. York has to slow the game down. They must do well on rides and clears. And limit the mental turnovers.

RIT is beatable every single year…
Rather than hoping on a down year for RIT, just get better and beat them.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

ergit wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:23 pm

It is true, every team is beatable every year. However, mere mention of them being “beatable this year,” by showing some uncharacteristic flaws in a single game, is not equal to “hoping for a down year.”

This comment ignores literally 46 lines across 3 posts that you quoted talking about how and where the team needs to focus in order to, as you say, “just get better and beat them.” Skipping right to the last line for your classic “you’re wrong” moment.

I’m sure, in addition to both teams and coaches watching their own tapes on where they need to work to not make the same mistakes, both are also watching tapes of the other team. Not in hopes of a down year, but to better expose flaws.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:18 pm
ergit wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:23 pm

It is true, every team is beatable every year. However, mere mention of them being “beatable this year,” by showing some uncharacteristic flaws in a single game, is not equal to “hoping for a down year.”

This comment ignores literally 46 lines across 3 posts that you quoted talking about how and where the team needs to focus in order to, as you say, “just get better and beat them.” Skipping right to the last line for your classic “you’re wrong” moment.

I’m sure, in addition to both teams and coaches watching their own tapes on where they need to work to not make the same mistakes, both are also watching tapes of the other team. Not in hopes of a down year, but to better expose flaws.
every team except for 2012 Salisbury
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Not Suitable wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:33 pm every team except for 2012 Salisbury
:lol:
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Looks like the game is going to be moved to Sunday because for the potential for weather in Rochester.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Asgot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:19 pm Looks like the game is going to be moved to Sunday because for the potential for weather in Rochester.
Looks like a lot of orange balls will be in use Sunday as I'm hearing lots qames are moving.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
KnowingWizardofODAC

Post by KnowingWizardofODAC »

BallHunt wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:34 pm
Asgot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:19 pm Looks like the game is going to be moved to Sunday because for the potential for weather in Rochester.
Looks like a lot of orange balls will be in use Sunday as I'm hearing lots qames are moving.
Word around the water cooler is Ian Callinan cannot track an orange ball. Could be an issue Sunday.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Like the move. Facilitates me being able to watch. :D
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

KnowingWizardofODAC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:59 pm
Word around the water cooler is Ian Callinan cannot track an orange ball. Could be an issue Sunday.
Curious what water cooler you've been drinking out of?
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

What are everyone’s thoughts on RIT this year?

Game one. OT win vs Muhlenburger. Hard to say how good this team is. Their other two wins vs teams with no wins.
Game two. Solid win vs bates. Hard to say how good or bad this team is since it was their only game
Game 3. Single digit win vs Nazareth. I watched naz play last week and they were unimpressive. I would have expect RIT to beat them by 25-5 kind of score. 18-9 seemed kinda close

I watched a little of the RIT game last night. Seems a few clear outside shots got in vs the RIT goalie. Naz was able to create some space for a few open shots. I was also surprised how small and quick several of the RIT middies looked. All leads back to a transitional team which seems to be their strength.
I feel good about this game

After seeing the trouble Salisbury had with Gettysburg last week. And with Salisbury having Lynchburg this week. York being their third tough game in a row. I can see a chance york takes both of these games. I am expecting York to win one. That would be good, to go into the mustang classic at 2-2 or better.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

AbeFroeman wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:16 pm What are everyone’s thoughts on RIT this year?

Game one. OT win vs Muhlenburger. Hard to say how good this team is. Their other two wins vs teams with no wins.
Game two. Solid win vs bates. Hard to say how good or bad this team is since it was their only game
Game 3. Single digit win vs Nazareth. I watched naz play last week and they were unimpressive. I would have expect RIT to beat them by 25-5 kind of score. 18-9 seemed kinda close

I watched a little of the RIT game last night. Seems a few clear outside shots got in vs the RIT goalie. Naz was able to create some space for a few open shots. I was also surprised how small and quick several of the RIT middies looked. All leads back to a transitional team which seems to be their strength.
I feel good about this game

After seeing the trouble Salisbury had with Gettysburg last week. And with Salisbury having Lynchburg this week. York being their third tough game in a row. I can see a chance york takes both of these games. I am expecting York to win one. That would be good, to go into the mustang classic at 2-2 or better.
Muhlenburger definitely had them on their heels, that was a great game played by them. I missed the Bates game but caught part of Naz. I think RIT was at 8-3 at half, so Naz was still in it, or at least in it more than expected. I turned it off at that point because it was not a great matchup. Did RIT slow up towards the end to put in their bench? From what I saw, RIT did make some mistakes and at least proved that they bleed and are not a machine. Hoping for some Rocky IV action this weekend and to watch the Spartans take them down. It'll come down to game planning/scout and execution. York has looked great this year other than that 2nd half at W&L, and I think that poor play was and will not be the norm for this bunch. This should be a great game and potential upset to get their first W over RIT.
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

All interesting takes from the York faithful. Having watched all Tiger games so far, I can’t dispute much of what has been mentioned. Still sorting out the influx of new kids and how they compliment a strong returning core. Then again, as two-time defending NC, everyone we play steps up their game and it has shown. Other than the Bates blow out, both Mules and Naz had a much better showing than year’s past. Tigers will certainly not take York lightly and I look forward to a highly contested game on Sunday. That’s why they play the game and the added intrigue of having family (Bruno, Burbank) history on both squads adds another element. Safe travels up north to Rochester and bring your A game.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Tigerlax70 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:23 pm All interesting takes from the York faithful. Having watched all Tiger games so far, I can’t dispute much of what has been mentioned. Still sorting out the influx of new kids and how they compliment a strong returning core. Then again, as two-time defending NC, everyone we play steps up their game and it has shown. Other than the Bates blow out, both Mules and Naz had a much better showing than year’s past. Tigers will certainly not take York lightly and I look forward to a highly contested game on Sunday. That’s why they play the game and the added intrigue of having family (Bruno, Burbank) history on both squads adds another element. Safe travels up north to Rochester and bring your A game.
So true on competition “playing up” vs the defending champs. Hoping for a good one too. Thanks for the well wishes, you be safe as well.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

I am not seeing this as a major upset if York wins. Yes RIT should be favored. But I am expecting this to be somewhat close. Within 4-5 goals. And I won’t be shocked if York is the winner. Both teams have looked very good. And both teams have looked questionable at times. That second half vs w&l was bad for York. But the first half, they dominated.
RIT needing ot vs muhlenberg and allowing Nazareth to keep it within striking distance is concerning also

As someone mentioned that teams play up against defending champs. I think RIT has had this game circled for a while also. The Bruno transfer and the Burbank brothers with both starting , makes this game different from the past
KnowingWizardofODAC

MacAttack wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:54 pm
I have been drinking that all knowing Kool-aid, things are not looking bright for the Spartans, not only this weekend, but this year.
KnowingWizardofODAC

MacAttack wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:54 pm
I have been drinking that all knowing Kool-aid, things are not looking bright for the Spartans, not only this weekend, but this year.
ergit

Post by ergit »

It will be a 50/50 game this weekend. Either team can win, just depends who plays the better game on that day.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”