Denver Pioneers 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DU-fan

Re: Denver Pioneers 2023

Post by DU-fan »

I updated the Denver players below where I could. I am sure there are some mistakes.
HillsLax wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:34 pm Copied from a post from someone who was at the scrimmage, so somewhat Hopkins' oriented.

DU goalie - Thompson
JHU goalie - Marcille

Scoring:

Q1
JHU - Bauer feeds Degnon 12:46 JHU 1-0
DU - Noah Manning crease dancing 2:42 2:42 1-1

Q2
JHU - Mcdermott to Bauer for a rip from up top 10:49 JHU 2-1
DU - Sillstrop on fast break 10:06 2-2
DU - Richie Connell from Sillstrop on fast break 7:54 DU 3-2
JHU - Angelus alley dodge-ish 6:09 3-3
DU - Colm Barnett (freshman M) completely lost by defense two fake doorstep 5:12 DU 4-3
JHU - Degnon unassisted 2:32 4-4

DU goalie change - Kleban
JHU goalie change Versfeld

Q3
JHU - Degnon cleaning up rebound 11:30 JHU 5-4
JHU - Collison unassisted top of key 5:25 JHU 6-4
JHU - Melendez from Mccdermot back and forth behind net 4:50 JHU 7-4
DU - Andrew Atchison or Noah Manning? on fast break 3:44 JHU 7-5
DU - ? cleaning up garbage 0:15 JHU 7-6

Q4
JHU - Collison unassisted 12:39 JHU 8-6
JHU - Chauvette unassisted 11:20 JHU 9-6
JHU - Degnon from Phillips emo 10:48 JHU 10-6
DU - Avery goal 9:51 JHU 10-7

JHU goalie change Carraciolo played Q4 4:00 to end of Q5
DU goalie change Higgins

Running Time Q5
JHU - Marquis from collison behind 7:50 JHU 11-7
JHU - Marquis from collison 3:00 JHU 12-7
DU - Tim Kirchner (Freshman M) crease dive 0:20 JHU 12-8

Face-Offs
It looked like Denver ran Alec Stathakis out for the faceoff pretty much every time, until ... Q5
Q1
Dunn loss
Dunn loss on jump violation
Dunn loss
Q2
Callahan win
Callahan win on violation
Callahan loss on violation
Callahan loss
Callahan win then immediate TO
Dunn win
Dunn win but lost his feet running away from trouble -> TO
Q3
Dunn win
Dunn loss
Callahan win
Callahan win
Callahan win then swim
Callahan loss
Q4
Callahan win on violation
Callahan win
Callahan win
Callahan win
Lane loss
Q5
Lane loss
Lane loss
Lane loss

Penalties
DU interference 4:30 Q1
JHU push Ince 3:29 Q1
DU hold 11:00 Q4
JHU push Deans 4:00 Q5

JHU Attack
Melendez
Angelus
Degnon

DU Attack
Richie Connell
JJ Sillstrop
Noah Manning

JHU Midfield
Bauer
Grimes
Mcdermott

JHU Mid 2nd line
Peshko
Phillips
Chauvette/Collison <- Collison basically got all the runs after Q1 here

DU Midfield
Michael Lampert
Mic Kelly
Stephen Avery

DU 2nd Midfield
Jack Tuttle
Ty Hussey
Colm Barnett

JHU SSDM
Martin
Jaronski
Ince
Raposo

41 Arteaga? Injured Q5 6:00 remaining concussion maybe?

Reen
Handsor
Billings

LSM
Mazzone
Brown
Kauffman

Bowler

JHU Defense
Ruddy
Smith
Deans

Brown
Kaufman

Todaro
Tripetta

Man Up
Degnon
Melendez
Phillips
Angelus
Grimes
Peshko
Thanks for posting and thanks Ruffled_Feathers for the write-up that I edited
Last edited by DU-fan on Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Posting from the Johns Hopkins thread:
jhu06 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:45 pm https://anchor.fm/lax-all-stars/episode ... er-e1tncqq

quint interview w/Tierney. Talks about coming to Hopkins, the challenges that programs outside the hotbeds face recruiting areas like Baltimore, scheduling with a special shot at the ACC, and in Quint fashion ignores the major questions like who he thinks his successor should be or what the transition plan is.

program is rolling some video. Looks like they're wearing their real numbers.
https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Predictions for Denver-Utah? Will we have another one-goal affair?
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I would have predicted another 1 goal win, not this blowout win. I was really impressed today with the 12-4 win over Utah.

I think this Utah team is good, but it was hard to tell with the dominant performance by Denver.

The defense and goalie play by Jack Thompson was impressive holding Utah to 4 goals. The offense looked good with impressive midi play as well.

Including some commentary from: https://denverpioneers.com/news/2023/2/ ... -utah.aspx

Inside the Box Score:
Denver's defense held Utah to just 34 shots, 14 on goal and got 10 saves from a pair of goalies, including nine from starter Jack Thompson in the victory.

Denver had four players finish with multiple goals in-front of a big crowd on Saturday afternoon. JJ Sillstrop had two goals and a helper, Michael Lampert and Stephen Avery had a pair of tallies out of the first midfield and Andrew Atchison had two more for the Pios.

Colm Barnett and Noah Manning finished with two assists apiece to lead the Pioneers, which Manning paired with a goal of his own to tie Sillstrop with three points on the day.

Alec Stathakis had a solid day at the faceoff stripe, going 13-of-20 with six ground balls in his season debut.

First Quarter:
Ty Hussey opened the 2023 season with his first career goal, kick-starting a 3-0 run for the Pioneers in less than three minutes. Avery and Manning from Barnett were the other two goals in the Denver run, with Manning's coming on the man-advantage.

Utah got its first goal after Denver was called for a two-minute non-releasable penalty late in the first quarter. After the Utes goal, Stathakis won the faceoff and Lampert turned on the jets late in the shot clock to give Denver a man-up goal in consecutive games after not having scored a man-up goal since the 2021 season opener at Peter Barton against Utah.

Second Quarter:
A slower-scoring second quarter started with a Jordan Hyde goal for the visitors to cut the Denver lead to 4-2 with 11:46 to go. With 4:26 to play, Manning appeared to restore Denver's three-goal advantage, but the officials ruled that the shot came after the expiration of the shot clock and waved off the goal. Hyde converted in transition off the violation to trim the Denver lead to 4-3.

The Pioneers didn't let the two-goal swing change the momentum of the game, as Jack Tortolani got the final goal of the opening 30 minutes, the first goal of his Denver career, to send the Crimson and Gold into the locker room with a 5-3 advantage.

Third Quarter:
Lampert's speed was on display again to open the third quarter as his second-goal of the day pushed the Pioneers' lead back to three in the first three minutes of the quarter.

Hyde completed his hat trick for Utah with 10:08 to play in the third quarter, the Utes final goal in the last 25:08 of the season opener.

Denver started its game-ending 6-0 run with a man-up tally by Richie Connell. Sillstrop then scored his first of two goals down the stretch off a feed from Manning to give Denver an 8-4 edge with 6:08 to play in the third.

Avery's second sent Denver into the final quarter of play with a 9-4 advantage.

Fourth Quarter:
A pair from Atchison sandwiched around Sillstrop's second concluded the scoring in the contest. Manning's second assist came on the Sillstrop tally and Barnett assisted Atchison's second.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Excerpts from the following article on the game:
https://letsgodu.com/2023/02/04/denver- ... utah-12-4/

DENVER LACROSSE OPENS SEASON WITH IMPRESSIVE WIN AGAINST UTAH, 12-4

The University of Denver men’s lacrosse team opened up its season in style against the University of Utah with a 12-4 victory. The game was the season-opener for both sides and DU used balanced scoring from seven different players, faceoff wins (13/20) and solid goalkeeping to earn the victory.

In the first quarter, DU raced out to a 4-1 lead with goals from four different players: Ty Hussey, Stephen Avery, Noah Manning and Michael Lampert. Utah outshot Denver 9 to 7 but Jack Thompson only allowed one goal.

The Utes pushed back in the second quarter with several faceoff wins and two goals from Jordan Hyde. At 3:18 before the halftime break, Jack Tortolani got DU on the scoring sheet, 5-3, Denver.

After the half, the teams traded goals before a fastbreak Utah foul and goal by JJ Sillstrop fired up the Pioneer crowd. Sillstrop’s goal doubled up the Utes, 8-4. DU’s Stephen Avery punished the Utes with 2:18 remaining in the third quarter, 9-4 to give Denver breathing room heading into the final 15 minutes.

Andrew Achison tossed in a pair of goals in the fourth quarter and JJ Sillstrop added another for the final score, 12-4. The Pioneers shut down the Utes and cruised to a comfortable team win with Denver controlling play on both ends of the field.

Jack Thompson was outstanding in goal, only allowing one score in the second half. Alec Stathakis was dominant at the X. Ground balls, a nemesis for DU lacrosse last season, went in Denver’s favor 29-18.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Nice write up by Kevin Brown and post game comments from Coach T.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -way/60639
Pio9

Post by Pio9 »

:shock:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Tye Scott injured?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:35 am Tye Scott injured?
Very disappointing loss. I think Tye Scott is injured, but no details. Hopefully, he is healthy soon.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

My memory may be faulty but i recall he was injured before he arrived.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:03 pm My memory may be faulty but i recall he was injured before he arrived.
Last I had heard he was held out of fall all but indicated he’d be back for the season. Guess not.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

The 12-10 loss at Air Force was certainly a disappointment with a capital D.

DU dominated at the face-off X 17-6, but lost the overall ground ball battle 25-24 -- AFA simply played harder and wanted it more, than DU did. Air Force always has hard-working teams in all sports due to the high-achieving men they recruit. DU plays Air Force almost every year, and I am sure the DU coaches spent time preparing the DU to face a hard working opponent, but DU just could not match the intensity.

The Pios will need a better work ethic if they hope to be a factor this year. While the Utah win made me optimistic, this loss to AFAs left me cold. DU only has five home games this year, so winning on the road is a must for the program to be relevant.
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

Puck Swami wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:45 am The 12-10 loss at Air Force was certainly a disappointment with a capital D.

DU dominated at the face-off X 17-6, but lost the overall ground ball battle 25-24 -- AFA simply played harder and wanted it more, than DU did. Air Force always has hard-working teams in all sports due to the high-achieving men they recruit. DU plays Air Force almost every year, and I am sure the DU coaches spent time preparing the DU to face a hard working opponent, but DU just could not match the intensity.

The Pios will need a better work ethic if they hope to be a factor this year. While the Utah win made me optimistic, this loss to AFAs left me cold. DU only has five home games this year, so winning on the road is a must for the program to be relevant.
I would say they statistically dominated the Face Off Game, but after we won the initial GB the team full on panicked and had a number of bad turnovers. This is unfortunately a type of game we are going to see from a young inexperienced team. Disappointed that none of the seniors stepped up and really took this game over. Offensively no one was able to create a slide, and shooting was not great (Goaltending for Air Force was excellent). Defensively we had some really bad approaches that lead to goals. On one goal Air Force's #45 caught the ball and we didn't get on his hands until about 7 yards at which point he kindly dropped it in the back of the net. Thompson had an off day and I thought he should've been pulled at half time. If I'm Duke watching that game I'm saying we need to ride like crazy, don't slide to anyone, and pressure the Face Off guy.

I'm hoping we take this game as a learning experience and get back to playing like we did against Utah, but I'm not real optimistic.

On another note the Air Force broadcast team was BRUTAL. Booker Corrigan wannabe's. If I heard "Denver University" one more time...
henryben

Post by henryben »

cherrylax wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:10 am
Puck Swami wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:45 am The 12-10 loss at Air Force was certainly a disappointment with a capital D.

I would say they statistically dominated the Face Off Game, but after we won the initial GB the team full on panicked and had a number of bad turnovers. This is unfortunately a type of game we are going to see from a young inexperienced team. Disappointed that none of the seniors stepped up and really took this game over. Offensively no one was able to create a slide, and shooting was not great (Goaltending for Air Force was excellent). Defensively we had some really bad approaches that lead to goals. On one goal Air Force's #45 caught the ball and we didn't get on his hands until about 7 yards at which point he kindly dropped it in the back of the net. Thompson had an off day and I thought he should've been pulled at half time. If I'm Duke watching that game I'm saying we need to ride like crazy, don't slide to anyone, and pressure the Face Off guy.

I'm hoping we take this game as a learning experience and get back to playing like we did against Utah, but I'm not real optimistic.

On another note the Air Force broadcast team was BRUTAL. Booker Corrigan wannabe's. If I heard "Denver University" one more time...
I thought DU had a really quick kid (Lampert?) who is running midfield. Was he not able to draw a slide?
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

henryben wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:15 pm

I thought DU had a really quick kid (Lampert?) who is running midfield. Was he not able to draw a slide?
He was a bit of a nonfactor on Saturday. I also think he's not taking anyone by surprise anymore. I think the coaches need to do a better job of setting him up for 1v1's rather than having him carry the ball to X and let everyone in the stadium know he's about to dodge. Brownie in the past has been all about dodging in the flow of the offense, Saturday was stagnant and lacking in creativity. Still early but offense needs to find it's guys quick.

Avery has been our best offensive player in my opinion. Like his game a lot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

henryben wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:15 pm

Came out of Mass, his brother played for Bart (like Tye Scott ans his brother Justin). Had heard he was better than Jimmy up at Wayland a few years back.
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

Yes, kind of a mystifying effort against Air Force. Thompson, whose save percentage has been consistently above 50% during his career, had his worst game ever (that I can recall, anyway) with 12 goals allowed and just 3 saves before he was pulled with 12:49 left in the 4th quarter. Of course, the whole defense had kind of a rough day. On one play an Air Force attackman drove from X and was not engaged until he was already past GLE for an easy goal. On two other plays, DU defenders inexplicably gave up inside rolls for point-blank shots. Very disappointing considering that defense was supposed to be the strong suit this year. Offense was not great either, with EMO going 0 for 3 and not much rhythm in the half-field sets all day.

Hope the boys can rebound with a sharper effort against the Blue Devils, who will no doubt be motivated after losing to Jacksonville…
molo

Post by molo »

Pios took care of business against Utah and faltered against AF. Duke demolished Bellarmine and HP but reverted to their habit of dropping February games in which they are favored against Jax. I haven’t seen Denver yet and was impressed with Duke in their wins. I didn’t see the Jax game, but based on what I saw of them again a resurgent Hopkins team, I’d say they are pretty good, probably similar to Denver. I’m leaning towards the home team in what is kind of a bonus Friday game, but it should be a close one.
I always forget which coach was the other’s tender at a bar on the Island?
gunnerz

Post by gunnerz »

Today's game @ Duke is on ESPNU.
SlingtheRock7

Post by SlingtheRock7 »

Duke just locking off with their D-mids and making Denver beat their poles 1v1, which they haven't been doing consistently so far. Stathakis is winning draws so far though and giving them a possession edge at the X. Would love to see DU put the locked D-mids into the 2-man game more in 2Q

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”