2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by youthathletics »

I don’t think Trump is that busy. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:05 pm I don’t think Trump is that busy. ;) :lol:

He's spending about as much time on the golf course as he did during his regime. Obama spent only a fraction of the time in the golf course but the Repukeblicons criticized him every day. Not surprisingly, they were silent when tRump was in office.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Jim Malone wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:28 pm George Santos has amended his CV after being sworn in. He is now, the Speaker of The House!

:mrgreen:
And true to form his office incorrectly sent out a press release yesterday confirming that he had been sworn in as a member of Congress.
Of course, that is also a lie. :oops:

https://santos.house.gov/media/press-re ... ath-office

A dope surrounded by other dopes. :oops:

In other developments, update on his problems in Brazil

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/02/nyre ... d=sl-share

"Brazilian Authorities Will Revive Fraud Case Against George Santos
A 2008 court case had been suspended because Brazilian law enforcement officials could not find Mr. Santos.
he next step for Brazilian prosecutors is to file a petition when the courts reopen at the end of the week requesting that Mr. Santos respond to the charges against him. A judge would then share the request, called a rogatory letter, with the federal Justice Ministry in Brazil, which would share it with the U.S. Department of Justice. Neither the Justice Department nor Brazilian authorities can compel Mr. Santos to respond at this point. But Mr. Santos must be officially notified in order for the case to proceed.

A criminal conviction, even for a felony, is not on its own an act that would disqualify a congressional member from holding office. The last time a member of Congress was removed from office for breaking the law was in 2002, when James A. Traficant Jr. was removed from the House after his conviction on felony racketeering and corruption charges.

If Mr. Santos does not present a defense in the Brazilian case, he will be tried in absentia. If found guilty, Mr. Santos could receive up to five years in prison, plus a fine."

More campaign $$$$ funny business

https://www.yahoo.com/now/george-santos ... 00628.html

"George Santos funneled $25,000 to Lee Zeldin’s campaign for governor — then reimbursed himself, review shows"

The latest Santos saga - yet another scam discovered involving his sister
https://www.thedailybeast.com/george-sa ... s?ref=wrap

Article also reports, that he has already told GOP that he will not run for re-election and he has not even been sworn in yet. :oops:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

And so it begins. Straight party line politics. https://twitter.com/stevescalise/status ... gYczKblbRQ
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:47 pm And so it begins. Straight party line politics. https://twitter.com/stevescalise/status ... gYczKblbRQ
Your party has told you what path they've chosen: more Trumpism.

Taxes are bad. Government is bad. We're back to that game, full steam ahead.

Good luck to working class Republicans. You've just lost another 2 years of help from your leaders.

Wake me up when actual leaders show up in your party, and start actually doing something.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:47 pm And so it begins. Straight party line politics. https://twitter.com/stevescalise/status ... gYczKblbRQ
Agreed; it was a real example of this GOP majority: totally performative nonsense, wasting everyone's time so that guys like Scalise could send out a tweet and get their faces and moment on Fox. Look at the comments/replies to his tweet:

"I am sure all of your wealthy friends are cheering you on but working class Americans who almost always pay their taxes are disgusted."

"First CBO score of the new Congress is here. Says that the GOP IRS funding bill would reduce spending by $71.5B and reduce revenue by $185.8B.
Net deficit increase of $114B. Steve is protecting the rich tax cheats that line his pockets."

"A waste of time considering this will never get past the Dem-controlled Senate (as you know), let alone make it to Biden's desk (who would veto it if it did)."

"The IRS enforcement funding is about making sure rich people pay what they owe. Taxing the rich is one thing; getting them to pay is another. This helps explain why 221 GOP house members voted today to rescind it. They are okay with tax evasion."

"Yes, it does. Because that money was going toward replacing the gutted IRS left by Trump (Hmmm. Now why would a trump not want the IRS, huh? I guess it wasn't enough that they violated the law and didn't audit him for 2 years) in order to assure that the 8.7%...of the population who fall into the 700 @GOP Billionaire Donor/Policy Writing Club, or the other 8.6%...those earning 400K a year or with personal wealth over $1 Million, pay their 15% and can't overwhelm the Agency with an army of lawyers. The rest of us? Working class."

YA, you expected the GOP majority to turn all statesmen and consensus-builder?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Here's Tapper's discussion with one of these GOP performance artists on this IRS agent bullsh*t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZslB7kV ... AaronRupar

Congressman Johnson also completely misrepresented the report from the Joint Committee on Taxation, which actually found that about 70 percent of the additional tax revenue from the Inflation Reduction Act would come from taxpayers making over $200,000.

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/medi ... on_act.pdf
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

It “began” when Obama came into office. Mitch and crew realized owning libs gets their drones, I mean constituents, more excited and out to vote than actually working on legislation for which they can be held accountable….
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm Your party has told you what path they've chosen: more Trumpism.
What specifically is Trumpism, legislatively?
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm Taxes are bad. Government is bad. We're back to that game, full steam ahead.
Did you see the article I cited and tagged you in last night. Where R's are proposing Flat Tax?
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm Good luck to working class Republicans. You've just lost another 2 years of help from your leaders.
Getting nothing done, may not be a bad thing in these tumultuous times. If all they do is work on the basics....well see.
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pmWake me up when actual leaders show up in your party, and start actually doing something.
You could get hit by a mack truck of something the r's did successfully, and you'd still find something to complain about...or tell us that you told us so years ago. ;) :lol:
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:41 am
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm Your party has told you what path they've chosen: more Trumpism.
What specifically is Trumpism, legislatively?
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm Taxes are bad. Government is bad. We're back to that game, full steam ahead.
Did you see the article I cited and tagged you in last night. Where R's are proposing Flat Tax?
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm Good luck to working class Republicans. You've just lost another 2 years of help from your leaders.
Getting nothing done, may not be a bad thing in these tumultuous times. If all they do is work on the basics....well see.
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pmWake me up when actual leaders show up in your party, and start actually doing something.
You could get hit by a mack truck of something the r's did successfully, and you'd still find something to complain about...or tell us that you told us so years ago. ;) :lol:
So...the flat tax concept is good for working class Americans?

How big a rate would it need to be to raise the revenues necessary?

Who would pay the biggest share of their personal incomes?

What would the "unintended consequences" be and how could those be mitigated?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 amSo...the flat tax concept is good for working class Americans?

The question I have is whether a flat tax that eliminates ALL deductions and loopholes could be set at a level that is lower than your average American's avg tax rate.

I am on record as favoring a very VERY small transaction tax and eliminating the income tax altogether.

But the bottom line is none of these things are going to happen. The government is not going to give up the power that is encapsulated within the right to grant tax breaks and specific deductions to their donors. Along with granting gov contracts, nothing brings politicians more power than their ability to tinker with the tax code - they will never willingly give up that power.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 amSo...the flat tax concept is good for working class Americans?

The question I have is whether a flat tax that eliminates ALL deductions and loopholes could be set at a level that is lower than your average American's avg tax rate.

I am on record as favoring a very VERY small transaction tax and eliminating the income tax altogether.

But the bottom line is none of these things are going to happen. The government is not going to give up the power that is encapsulated within the right to grant tax breaks and specific deductions to their donors. Along with granting gov contracts, nothing brings politicians more power than their ability to tinker with the tax code - they will never willingly give up that power.
R's and D's alike.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:41 am What specifically is Trumpism, legislatively?
Made up performative nonsense, based on lies. So this stupid IRS stunt? In what world does crippling the IRS help with the deficit that these guys are complaining about? It does the OPPOSITE of what they are claiming it does.
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm Did you see the article I cited and tagged you in last night. Where R's are proposing Flat Tax?
Yep. More Trumpism. Where the F was this bill when Trump was in office? If they had done THAT? I'd be their biggest cheerleader. Plus....I need to see the details. I'll look up the bill.

They didn't present it when Trump was in charge, because they don't REALLY want it to pass. Trumpism.
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pm Getting nothing done, may not be a bad thing in these tumultuous times. If all they do is work on the basics....well see.
It's fanfreakingtastic for me. And for coastal libs.

Are you paying close attention to the health and educational outcomes for working class Republicans, YA? They're falling apart, right before our eyes. They needed help a generation ago, and were given, instead, deregulation for multinational lenders and corporations and tax cuts for the rich.

They're out of time, YA.
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 pmYou could get hit by a mack truck of something the r's did successfully,
If you REALLY believe that, you're not reading half my posts.

First off, I vote for----and praise-----non-Federal Republicans all the time.

Secondly, I praised Trump and his legislature dozens of times during his tenure. Dozens. Things like sending in Federal assistance to Chicago to help with Guns. Or Federal prison reform. And for announcing a pull out in Syria an Afghanistan. And for not invading a new country....something I was certain he would do, and I copped to being wrong about it. And for handing Covid power to the States...a great call. And for bailing out small businesses for the first time since WWII....instead of the Obama Big Biz-only bailouts of 09.

Sorry man, I'm calling balls and strikes out here. When your team puts a ball in the strike zone, I'll tell you about it.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:23 am
HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:19 am

R's and D's alike.
or, said another way: R's and D's are alike! :lol: But yes, both sides are seriously guilty of this - the parties like the perpetual 49/51 balance of power - it creates a false sense of urgency....

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:24 am Are you paying close attention to the health and educational outcomes for working class Republicans, YA? They're falling apart, right before our eyes. They needed help a generation ago, and were given, instead, deregulation for multinational lenders and corporations and tax cuts for the rich.

They're out of time, YA.
^^^^^ this

same goes for working class dems by the way. Their party pretty ham-fistedly leaned on the scale to make sure that they guy who had their interests at heart (Bernie) was not allowed to get the party nomination.

But at least the post-Clinton era Dems and Cheney faction of the GOP are open about their distaste for working class people. The "radical" republicans are grifters plain and simple.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:24 am
Yep. More Trumpism. Where the F was this bill when Trump was in office? If they had done THAT? I'd be their biggest cheerleader. Plus....I need to see the details. I'll look up the bill.

They didn't present it when Trump was in charge, because they don't REALLY want it to pass. Trumpism.
So Trumpsim is what....when people say something and do nothing? :lol: :lol: I suppose Trump has been around for decades....mmmm okay. And who gives a 8hit, that was 4 years ago, move on my man ;) . The scoreboard game is played out and get's us no where. You have been a proponent of a flat/consumption tax since I have been on these boards....I'd had expected a much more optimistic reply considering this something you have advocated for over the years.

I completely understand why you pull Trump(ism) out any chance you get, but IMO it minimizes your arguments to a borderline Karen rant. ;) :lol:
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:00 pm So Trumpsim is what....when people say something and do nothing? :lol: :lol: I suppose Trump has been around for decades....mmmm okay. And who gives a 8hit, that was 4 years ago, move on my man ;) . The scoreboard game is played out and get's us no where. You have been a proponent of a flat/consumption tax since I have been on these boards....I'd had expected a much more optimistic reply considering this something you have advocated for over the years.

I completely understand why you pull Trump(ism) out any chance you get, but IMO it minimizes your arguments to a borderline Karen rant. ;) :lol:
Fair criticism of my posts. I'll look at the bill. Sorry man....my initial reaction is to be annoyed that they didn't floor the bill under Trump, signaling that this isn't serious. Right up there with the tax return that fits on a postcard----remember that one?

But dude, you need to wake up. Not only is Trump running for your party's nomination this very day, MTG had Trump on the phone on the House floor during the Speaker vote. Trump is still a leader in your party. Right now. Today. There is no "four years ago" when it comes to Trump.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:42 am
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:24 am Are you paying close attention to the health and educational outcomes for working class Republicans, YA? They're falling apart, right before our eyes. They needed help a generation ago, and were given, instead, deregulation for multinational lenders and corporations and tax cuts for the rich.

They're out of time, YA.
^^^^^ this

same goes for working class dems by the way. Their party pretty ham-fistedly leaned on the scale to make sure that they guy who had their interests at heart (Bernie) was not allowed to get the party nomination.

But at least the post-Clinton era Dems and Cheney faction of the GOP are open about their distaste for working class people. The "radical" republicans are grifters plain and simple.
Yes! The Dem base isn't the rural working class, or even the working class in general. So it makes sense if they don't focus on their needs. They literally don't represent rural Americans in the House.

That said, the Dems pass bills, for good or ill, that directly helps the working class. Infrastructure bill...that the R's foolishly cut in half.....was a HUGE help to rural and working class Americans. Did you see McConnell in the photo op with Biden in front of the Kentucky bridge that will get long overdue maintenance? That.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:00 pm Did you see the article I cited and tagged you in last night. Where R's are proposing Flat Tax?

So Trumpsim is what....when people say something and do nothing? :lol: :lol: I suppose Trump has been around for decades....mmmm okay. And who gives a 8hit, that was 4 years ago, move on my man ;) . The scoreboard game is played out and get's us no where. You have been a proponent of a flat/consumption tax since I have been on these boards....I'd had expected a much more optimistic reply considering this something you have advocated for over the years.

come on, youth, Trumpism is all about the Big Lie and the Big Grift.

Everything is unfair and you should be mad about it and thus vote for our 'team' (cult), so that we can fleece you some more.

Replete with team uniforms and cheers, wrapped in supposed "patriotism", but really ultra-nationalist authoritarianism, so that we can lock in your subservience and obeisance forever.

How does that apply here?
Well, pre-Trump 'cult' labelled themselves "Tea Party" and "Freedom Caucus"; ostensibly concerned about deficits and size of federal government, but really just about power.

But then Trump grabbed the cult and brought in the heavy ultra-nationalist, ethno-nationalist, branding of MAGA, seeking "enemies" in various "Other" groups, racial, religious, ethnic, 'gender' etc...The Tea Party and Freedom Caucus fully embraced the movement and out the window went any of the prior concerns about deficits and size of government. Indeed, spending went through the roof, pre pandemic, and dramatic tax reductions...huge deficit increase, all during a period when the economy was growing at a great, steady pace without the sugar high.

They keep pounding on how unfair the world is for their voters and for America (Europeans don't spend enough on military, who cares about Africa or South America, etc). Thanks to strong arm power tactics, they packed the Court...and got results across the board, both for their real sponsors, corporations and hyper-wealthy, and for their social base...abortion. And then, oh my, they lost...so, the Big Lie.

They vastly underperformed in the mid-term, but did regain some power levers...so, they are going to blast the performance as loudly as they can, amplified by all the right wing media.

So...did they just rediscover fiscal restraint? Did they just remember concern about deficits?
Did they just now realize that corruption should be investigated?

Who is fooled here?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:26 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:00 pm Did you see the article I cited and tagged you in last night. Where R's are proposing Flat Tax?

come on, youth, Trumpism is all about the Big Lie and the Big Grift.

Everything is unfair and you should be mad about it and thus vote for our 'team' (cult), so that we can fleece you some more.

Replete with team uniforms and cheers, wrapped in supposed "patriotism", but really ultra-nationalist authoritarianism, so that we can lock in your subservience and obeisance forever.

How does that apply here?
Well, pre-Trump 'cult' labelled themselves "Tea Party" and "Freedom Caucus"; ostensibly concerned about deficits and size of federal government, but really just about power.

But then Trump grabbed the cult and brought in the heavy ultra-nationalist, ethno-nationalist, branding of MAGA, seeking "enemies" in various "Other" groups, racial, religious, ethnic, 'gender' etc...The Tea Party and Freedom Caucus fully embraced the movement and out the window went any of the prior concerns about deficits and size of government. Indeed, spending went through the roof, pre pandemic, and dramatic tax reductions...huge deficit increase, all during a period when the economy was growing at a great, steady pace without the sugar high.

They keep pounding on how unfair the world is for their voters and for America (Europeans don't spend enough on military, who cares about Africa or South America, etc). Thanks to strong arm power tactics, they packed the Court...and got results across the board, both for their real sponsors, corporations and hyper-wealthy, and for their social base...abortion. And then, oh my, they lost...so, the Big Lie.

They vastly underperformed in the mid-term, but did regain some power levers...so, they are going to blast the performance as loudly as they can, amplified by all the right wing media.

So...did they just rediscover fiscal restraint? Did they just remember concern about deficits?
Did they just now realize that corruption should be investigated?

Who is fooled here?
The issue I take with all of what you (and others) say, is that you are already jaded, and it started the moment he came down the escalator in 2015, followed by a short 5 years (in the grand scheme) of politics. He was a bull in a china shop and it is no-friggen-wonder that congress did not want to do anything under his leadership; for that we should probably be thankful b/c we'd be left with Trumpism policy, no? And you guys can't have that, b/c it would then give you another reason to be fussy. ;)

I honestly believe we all on these boards, want the very same thing and are merely frustrated , shown by the consistency of posts that say damned near the same thing, differently, each day. What I can not stand is the inability to move on. Getting stuck in the past is something you would visit your shrink to help you get over, otherwise have an optimistic vision, with an expectation of failure, already played out, so that you are already prepared for any outcome....and both results are positive in nature.

I am certain you get this, having been a goalie....flush it, and move on, and know full well another shot is coming and you'll do your best to minimize it having an impact on you.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”