Article in NY Times Today

D1 Mens Lacrosse
richlax5

Article in NY Times Today

Post by richlax5 »

Thought I would share this. Some may hit a paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/spor ... rosse.html
drunkmonkey30

Re: Article in NY Times Today

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Sadly there is a paywall for me....and 12ft.io does not work in NY Times!!!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

For the first time in over a decade, the NYT published an article that was somewhat complimentary to the game. Shocking imho. Considering their previous attempts at coverage were extremely biased against the game and it's participants. They didn't even have the decency to cover the women's world championships this year. Not even a mention of a single score. Maybe/hopefully the NYT realizes the game isn't the lax bros IL promoted until a couple of years ago. TBD.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Ironic that the liberal old gray lady that was so opposed to the former guy would build a (pay) wall.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

NYT sports coverage is largely done at their sister site - The Athletic which is also a subscription-based model

https://theathletic.com/

As a longtime susbscriber, I don't see the adverse coverage you claim (at least not any time recently for sure). They certainly have no covered international events but they have a LOT of company in this regard - even broadcast partner ESPN has literally NO coverage of international lacrosse and only minimal coverage of pro lacrosse.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:02 pm NYT sports coverage is largely done at their sister site - The Athletic which is also a subscription-based model

https://theathletic.com/

As a longtime susbscriber, I don't see the adverse coverage you claim (at least not any time recently for sure). They certainly have no covered international events but they have a LOT of company in this regard - even broadcast partner ESPN has literally NO coverage of international lacrosse and only minimal coverage of pro lacrosse.
The NYT has not covered men's or women's lacrosse games at any level for years. You can check the article history without having to pay for it. They will drool over golf being played at country clubs almost no one can get into. Yet they call our game an elitist white preppy sport.
molo

Post by molo »

As another longtime subscriber, I would agree that the NYT largely ignores lax, but I don’t see much negative coverage. There’s just not much coverage period.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Back in the day, the NYT routinely ran a descriptive piece on Tuesdays regarding games of note which were coming up on the approaching weekend. Pretty good right? The problem was that they then didn't report the actual scores of the games which they had highlighted on Tuesday.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The Times "ignores" lax like every other major media outlet because lax is a niche sport. They don't cover it just like they don't cover volleyball or rugby. Most people don't care about lacrosse. A lot more people are interested in professional golf, thus the coverage.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:54 pm The Times "ignores" lax like every other major media outlet because lax is a niche sport. They don't cover it just like they don't cover volleyball or rugby. Most people don't care about lacrosse. A lot more people are interested in professional golf, thus the coverage.
The Washington Post covers Maryland lacrosse pretty well (assigned to the Terps' beat writer), and their HS section definitely covers lacrosse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:25 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:54 pm The Times "ignores" lax like every other major media outlet because lax is a niche sport. They don't cover it just like they don't cover volleyball or rugby. Most people don't care about lacrosse. A lot more people are interested in professional golf, thus the coverage.
The Washington Post covers Maryland lacrosse pretty well (assigned to the Terps' beat writer), and their HS section definitely covers lacrosse.
Yeah, that's all local

The Times doesn't do local sports coverage of any sport apart from the NY-based pro teams. In fact now that they own the Athletic i'm not even sure if they have their own beat reporters.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

And squash is a major sport? I guess there's little interest in lacrosse in the NY/metropolitan area, the NYT primary market.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:48 am
And squash is a major sport? I guess there's little interest in lacrosse in the NY/metropolitan area, the NYT primary market.
Does the Times have robust squash coverage that I'm not aware of?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:48 am
I just searched NYT website for history of squash coverage - it's the same as lacrosse - one article each so far this year. This article actually appears to be more about native culture and the role lacrosse plays in that culture with a reference to inclusion in the Olympics of the sport potentially without the folks who invented it.

That said, there is a LOT more squash coverage at NYT food and cooking area. :lol:
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

I am OK with the NYT posting scores for lacrosse. Maybe even a few stats. But please, keep the NYT writers away from anything lacrosse-related that involves subjectivity.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

sinman6 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:51 pm I am OK with the NYT posting scores for lacrosse. Maybe even a few stats. But please, keep the NYT writers away from anything lacrosse-related that involves subjectivity.
NYT has not provided scores, stats and standings for ANY sport for many years. They leave that to separate The Athletic portal which they also own.
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

Well you can tell how much I read the NYT.

I like how they are distancing themselves from their own name on the sports front. Makes sense.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”