Michigan 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Michigan 2019

Post by HopFan16 »

Michigan will be fine. As we've seen already this season, anyone can beat anyone. The defense still needs work but Conry will get that turned around once more of "his guys" enter the program. He's changed the culture there and despite this loss they're a team that will give the Big Ten all it can handle later on in the season. Every year, without fail, people on these forums overreact to February results.
a fan

Post by a fan »

That's exactly it, HGK25. You missed the ridiculous expectations from Michigan fans the minute Coach Conry was announced as the new Head Coach, HGK25......

Everyone here wants Michigan to succeed. We're not giving the Michigan Program grief.....we're giving the Michigan fans grief for counting Final Four appearances even before Conry held his first practice. Maybe let the man make one single Big Ten Tournament before making such ridiculous pronouncements?

And if you'll notice the previous posts on this thread...they're doing it again....
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Is Patrick Ohara from the 2020 recruiting class still committed. Or did he decommit and commit to Air Force?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Michigan 16 - 11 over St.John's to move to 3-1.
Live Free or Die!
a fan

Post by a fan »

Well, they're 3-3 now, with two losses to unranked teams.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:48 pm Well, they're 3-3 now, with two losses to unranked teams.
It sort of looks like Michigan is taking a step back this year.
Live Free or Die!
a fan

Post by a fan »

Doesn't look like that to me. Ebb and flow of Division I lacrosse in 2019...that's what it looks like to me.

As I said when folks were so sure Paul was the problem: winning----and recruiting----in Division I gets harder every year. And Michigan is in arguably the toughest conference in the game.

They were convinced recruiting at Michigan would be super easy, with the same for wins....and didn't want to hear anything to the contrary.

Meet the reality of the situation.....

Enjoy the games, they've got some good players. That's my advice. And unlike last time, be patient and give the coaching staff time.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:38 pm Doesn't look like that to me. Ebb and flow of Division I lacrosse in 2019...that's what it looks like to me.
ebb if you like.
It looks like Michigan's FO man Cronin has missed the last 3 games.
Lost FOs 24-9 against Marquette, and 27-4 against Yale

R.Sutherland has only played in 2 games.
Noseworthy missed the Marquette game

Some of Michigan's woes seem to be on the defensive end where they are allowing 13 gpg.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

While I don't have anything that would help Michigan's FO problem.
Ty Xanders does report favorably on recruit Josh Zawada:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eeks/54065
Josh Zawada ’19, A/M, Hill Academy (Ont.) — Michigan
Flipping from Syracuse to Michigan in the fall, Zawada has displayed a college-ready skill set. There isn't a place on the field that he doesn't feel confident dodging from, as he's fearless when going to the goal, often using deception. Though not the fastest, the North Carolina native has a knack for soaking checks and is a powerful shooter, showing off a quick release and considerable range. There really aren't many knocks on his game, which has transformed over the past two years.
Calvert Hall vs Hill Academy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD2MjnJO2hc

which might be part of an answer to replacing Noseworthy and Curran next Spring.
Live Free or Die!
a fan

Post by a fan »

And the posters claiming easy recruiting, certain Big Ten wins, and frequent FF's with a new coach are nowhere to be found.....
AMC

Post by AMC »

Also new best in class facilities that previous coach didn’t have. However, I do think the program will get there in the next few years. Need better, more consistent goalie play and healthy faceoff guys to have a chance. This young attack is going to keep getting better.

#2, Goonan, has done a great job mucking it up on draws and creating turnovers after possession, and the 10 man gets a few back too off the FO. I know they are getting killed on FO stats without a true FOGO available, but actual possession numbers aren’t nearly as bad.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Woof, going from 3-1 to 3-8 on a 7 game skid with likely one more loss, probably two.

When are they going to fire the club coach?
laxfan355

Post by laxfan355 »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:08 am Woof, going from 3-1 to 3-8 on a 7 game skid with likely one more loss, probably two.

When are they going to fire the club coach?
There are a ton of factors that have gone into the 7 game skid. This team has faced it's share of adversity this year and continues to battle. Despite the 7 game skid, they still have a chance to make it to the Big10 Tournament for the first time if they can pull out wins in their last two games (Rutgers would then need to loose to PSU and OSU would need to lose to Maryland tomorrow).

Coach may get a pass this year due to all of the injuries and specifically the injuries at the face off position
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Yeah, I believe coaches in general should have a 5 year cushion to work with barring something crazy before they are on the hot seat. Was just making fun of old LP posters from 3-4 years ago.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Michigan gets a Big win over OSU 13-10. Their first win over OSU, perhaps denying OSU's NCAA tmt bid. So this really puts the rivalry on the map.

According to laxbytes.com, Michigan's RPI jumped up to #34 do to this win. Still all and all a down year for Michigan. Perhaps the main factor for the down year was the face-off problems. Also, Noseworthy had injury problems and Sutherland missed almost the whole season.

A lot of key seniors on the this year's team: Noseworthy, Curran, Sutherland, DeCaprio, Melillo, Borda, Shima ..., along with graduate students Heidt and Hollen.

Some positives for next year are Avery Myers came around and Clay had a nice freshman year.
It looks like Conry is going to have to do some serious rebuilding on the defensive end.

2 top offensive recruits showing up in Josh Zawada, who could help fill in for Noseworthy, and a highly ranked midfield recruit, Jake Bonami (St.Anthony's), could bolster the offense.

The big thing would be the face-off men getting healthy.
Live Free or Die!
a fan

Post by a fan »

It's a bummer that all the know it alls who were so sure that a new coach would win half or more of the Big Ten games they play every year have disappeared.

Reasonable posters tried to explain that that was a ridiculous expectation, to no avail. Turns out, it's not the recruiting magnet everyone was so certain of just two years ago. Whoops. Turns out it takes work and time.

Patience. It's going to take years and years to build this program. They'll get there.

Conry's contract expires after the 2022 season. I'm proud of the job he has done.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think the program is built. They just had an off year, mostly due to the face-off men all being injured.
Live Free or Die!
a fan

Post by a fan »

Won't be the last offyear for UMich. Ohio St. just had one. Rutgers, who had as solid of a squad as they've had in a few years, won't make the playoffs without a Big Ten title.

Every year, it gets harder to win.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Michigan's W was the 3rd biggest upset thus far this season. The only two bigger were St. John's over High Point and Colgate over Syracuse.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:13 pm Won't be the last offyear for UMich. Ohio St. just had one. Rutgers, who had as solid of a squad as they've had in a few years, won't make the playoffs without a Big Ten title.

Every year, it gets harder to win.
Michigan has a lot of talent on their roster. Plagued by injuries this year. Wouldn’t be surprised by a breakthrough season within the next three years.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”