Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:23 pm Murphy was a four-star recruit. There are limitations to his game. While he has great hands and a dope shot, he’s not a dodger. Terps use him perfectly, particularly as a wing shooter on fast breaks.

In fairness to Milliman, he’s got 6 four-star recruits showing up this fall and a new OC, so I’m reserving judgment until I see the new talent in Fall Ball.

It’s very realistic to build a winning program with 12 four-star recruits in two years. Warne turned Georgetown into a powerhouse, very attractive to transfers, once he got his own recruiting classes in place.
This post right here ^^^

He is a very good player, yes it sucks to have any talent leaving the roster like that. Those of us rebuffing the PM pitchfork mob do recognize this, I'm certainly not thrilled about it, but there is nothing to be done about it now, Murphy isn't coming back and lets not get it twisted with what his game is. That is not feature complete Paul Rabil that walked out the door. A money marksman is something our roster could use more of for sure but what we severely lack are dodging threats on the offensive end and that is not a plus part of his current game. Maybe it will be in another year or two and it will still suck to not have him then but he isn't coming back no matter how much anyone pisses and moans or how quickly you think you can run PM out of town.

So best to focus on what can change and that is next years incoming recruits being added to the roster. Maybe someone(s) from the portal too but I wouldn't count on the most impactful of additions that way. Right now what this team sorely needs are dodging threats and a top tier goalie that can save 60% and the coaches are confident in to allow him to roam far and wide from the crease to be more involved in the clearing game.

Presumably with the incoming freshman and maybe Crawley teaching all the boys a thing or two he knows there's some chance we can start to better figure out things on the offensive end next year. As for the goalie situation... well there's a reason I drink in the morning. Maybe the pious among us can put in a good word on Saturdays and Sundays at your chosen place of worship during the offseason.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://twitter.com/uncwlax/status/1530992595111149568

looks like they did a great job w/the womens event at homewood. Haven't seen it that packed in awhile and I guess the violence in Baltimore didn't deter all the people from coming. When was the last time homewood was that packed? Why is the womens title game not permanently there.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

what did murphy do?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm https://twitter.com/uncwlax/status/1530992595111149568

looks like they did a great job w/the womens event at homewood. Haven't seen it that packed in awhile and I guess the violence in Baltimore didn't deter all the people from coming. When was the last time homewood was that packed? Why is the womens title game not permanently there.
Great event and great game. Don’t underestimate the value of having a generational talent trying to defend her title vs an undefeated blue blood of the sport has on attendance. Especially when UNC is one of the most recognized brands across all sports. It’s a perfect storm of attendance.

Not to mention the entire weekend was major powerhouses all of whom have national titles and power 5 athletic brands.

The mens game hasn’t had that in a while (2021 did, but it was a weird year so that is a little bit of an outlier)
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:09 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm https://twitter.com/uncwlax/status/1530992595111149568

Great event and great game. Don’t underestimate the value of having a generational talent trying to defend her title vs an undefeated blue blood of the sport has on attendance. Especially when UNC is one of the most recognized brands across all sports. It’s a perfect storm of attendance.

Not to mention the entire weekend was major powerhouses all of whom have national titles and power 5 athletic brands.

The mens game hasn’t had that in a while (2021 did, but it was a weird year so that is a little bit of an outlier)
cornell and princeton are ivies w/all the $ of alumni to get to games and in that region, rutgers is next door, maryland fans have a historic season they're chasing. that attendance number was weak. Kraft and Belichick believe in lacrosse and we've seen what an eagles stadium can look like for a ff so maybe more elite venues will spur greater engagement.

I haven't watched the game from today yet, but interesting that for the mens title game fairfield was only allowed an "F" on the field while Hopkins was allowed to keep those gorgeous black and blue end zones along w/the signage on the scoreboard and the title signs atop the stands so that every picture of a goal or player has Hopkins or blue jays in it.

Athletic department did a nice job.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:23 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:53 am
Hoponboard wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:17 am
flalax22 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:15 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:02 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:01 pm Every goal 55 scores for the Terps is an indictment on the poor decision made by PM.
this is getting so f*cking old. get over it already
It was a poor decision. A decision that clearly hurt the program and did nothing to introduce a new culture or higher standard but in fact made it worse.
I scouted Murphy (#6) in the spring of 2016 after he committed to Hopkins as a freshman in September of 2015. Early recruiting at its best. Owen had 7 points (4g, 3a) in the Medfield (MA) rout of Westwood.

https://youtu.be/nNYvyxSDIi4

He later transferred to Avon Old Farms for two years before scoring 13 goals in the six game season for Hopkins in 2020. He was arguably the one offensive player you didn’t want to lose if you were Milliman.

He has averaged two plus goals per game for Maryland.

Looking back, it is amazing that he had the same blistering shot with the same physique that he has now. He still only weighs 155lbs.

I expect him to torment Hopkins for two more years as he moves full time to attack.
It wasn't just that he didn't make the playoffs, he wasn't even in contention. He has no five-star recruits in the next two classes.
Murphy was a four-star recruit. There are limitations to his game. While he has great hands and a dope shot, he’s not a dodger. Terps use him perfectly, particularly as a wing shooter on fast breaks.
You mean a lot like Logan Wisnaukas?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:53 pm what did murphy do?
Now granted I wasn’t there but the widespread story is that he missed an academic advisor meeting and lied about it.

Which is fine if you want to dismiss a kid for that to establish your standards but the stories coming out about star players with serious off field drama and then not being dismissed doesn’t build a culture of excellence in my opinion.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:59 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:53 pm what did murphy do?
Now granted I wasn’t there but the widespread story is that he missed an academic advisor meeting and lied about it.

Which is fine if you want to dismiss a kid for that to establish your standards but the stories coming out about star players with serious off field drama and then not being dismissed doesn’t build a culture of excellence in my opinion.
That seems ridiculous. A game suspension or benching, but thrown off the team. wow.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:23 pm
Murphy was a four-star recruit. There are limitations to his game. While he has great hands and a dope shot, he’s not a dodger. Terps use him perfectly, particularly as a wing shooter on fast breaks.

In fairness to Milliman, he’s got 6 four-star recruits showing up this fall and a new OC, so I’m reserving judgment until I see the new talent in Fall Ball.

It’s very realistic to build a winning program with 12 four-star recruits in two years. Warne turned Georgetown into a powerhouse, very attractive to transfers, once he got his own recruiting classes in place.
He seems a lot like Connor Kelly v2.0 to me.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

The games were some of the best games I've watched all year, men's or women's. The Carolina v Northwestern game was one for the books. Homewood was in top form, and it seemed like the event was closely managed with the announcer making an effort to hype the crowd. It's not something I'm a fan of generally, but it just seemed to go with the energy of this event and seemed natural. Was this a Corrigan Sports event?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hey, now that Crawley is headed back to Homewood as OC, how about hiring Benson as HC and keeping Koesterer as DC? Wouldn’t Benson, Koesterer, and Crawley make a great coaching staff? :)

Oh, wait … we already have a HC.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Terry Foy
@TerenceFoy
·
3h
Tills said playing Hopkins twice, with what Pete Milliman brought from Cornell being similar to this Big Red team, combined with familiarity with their personnel from scrimmaging them in the fall, helped prep on the short turnaround.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Man, Milliman is just undermining our interests at every turn. ;)
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:43 pm Man, Milliman is just undermining our interests at every turn. ;)
Cornell looked a lot like us offensively in the first half struggling to do anything, taking bad shots from outside, not going inside, giving Logan easy saves.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:02 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:43 pm Man, Milliman is just undermining our interests at every turn. ;)
Cornell looked a lot like us offensively in the first half struggling to do anything, taking bad shots from outside, not going inside, giving Logan easy saves.
Everyone has looked like that against Maryland

Congrats to Bobby — he can leverage this into a head coaching gig if he wants it. Since some of you are counting every single one of his goals as an exercise in masochism, everyone's favorite former Blue Jay double bageled today on 0-7 shooting with a turnover

Heard a rumbling or two that there's at least one transfer in the works but not confirmed
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:12 pm

Congrats to Bobby — he can leverage this into a head coaching gig if he wants it. Since some of you are counting every single one of his goals as an exercise in masochism, everyone's favorite former Blue Jay double bageled today on 0-7 shooting with a turnover

Heard a rumbling or two that there's at least one transfer in the works but not confirmed
Very pleased for Coach Benson. As for Murphy, combine his stats with his new national championship ring, and he’s had a better season than any Blue Jay.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:00 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:12 pm

Very pleased for Coach Benson. As for Murphy, combine his stats with his new national championship ring, and he’s had a better season than any Blue Jay.

DocBarrister
really hope benson gets the providence job and petro after next season gets a new hc job in d1 so that I can 169 percent hate the terps and cuse again.

mens tennis had the runner up in mens singles in d3 this year. maybe we can see if he can add 30 lbs and play man up for us next year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Unlikely. I played tennis my FR year at Hobart and dropped 25lbs and it was brutal getting it back on to play Football in the fall. Even if you look down on D3 football I assure you it’s not cool engaging 270-315lb OTs as a 190lbs ILB…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:55 am Unlikely. I played tennis my FR year at Hobart and dropped 25lbs and it was brutal getting it back on to play Football in the fall. Even if you look down on D3 football I assure you it’s not cool engaging 270-315lb OTs as a 190lbs ILB…
Wow. Hobart tennis and football must have been terrible.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:43 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:55 am Unlikely. I played tennis my FR year at Hobart and dropped 25lbs and it was brutal getting it back on to play Football in the fall. Even if you look down on D3 football I assure you it’s not cool engaging 270-315lb OTs as a 190lbs ILB…
Wow. Hobart tennis and football must have been terrible.

DocBarrister ;)
They were. I’ve been gone for 20yrs

But the point remains as I can use an old buddy at MD named Guilian Gary as an example as well.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”