CNU 11-8
RIT 20-13
GBurg 14-13 2OT
liongoes

Re: 2022 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

Post by liongoes »

Bowdoin scores: "...and he scores. [silence] :cry: "

RIT scores: "...and he SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!"

Every year with this guy :roll: . Play by play is good but man I'll never get used to him loudly rooting for the ARRRRR IT TIGERS and calling players by their first name. Dude is apparently a pro broadcaster acting like a dad out here.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Great game between York and CNU.... CNU had so many chances to win it in OT but couldn't connect. York moves on.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Ryan Kennedy is an absolute menace out there, good lord. Those last three CTs he had were completely alien. Credit to Jack Michael as well for making a couple of season-saving saves on the doorstep in overtime, what a win for York.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Congrats to York, what a great game! Ryan Kennedy is a beast. All around great game from the Spartans. Best wishes going forward!
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Anyone else watching the union Gettysburg game? The announcers keep saying Gettysburg is winning and union is pushing to try and get something going. There is no scoreboard showing. But inside lax says union is winning 6-2
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

They just said it again. Said union is closing the game to 1 goal. But inside lax says union is up 6-3
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Not sure what it says now but as per Union twitter it was 5-5 a few minutes ago.
And that was after 3 straight from Union so it was 5-2 Gettysburg at some point, not sure what IL is talking about.
Last edited by pcowlax on Sat May 21, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

On the big screen. It's 5-5 at the half
ah23

Post by ah23 »

ah23 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:09 pm The guy at RIT doing the MIT-Amherst game seemingly did about ten seconds of prep and very clearly had absolutely zero interest in the game - he spent the entire game basically reading [name + number] off a roster sheet in bored monotone and had almost nothing to say about what was happening on the field.
As I was saying. Different guy today, same story. Sounds like he's half asleep even on big plays, has zero knowledge of the game (or if he does, he never shows it), doesn't describe what's happening on the field beyond reading off a roster sheet. Repeatedly getting names wrong (Dowd = Dodd? Bredahl = Bree-dull? Waldbaum = Wall-bum? Seriously?) despite the PA guy being right next to him and saying them correctly. Has gotten multiple major players' stats wrong aside from Ferrara/Posner/Bredahl - said after different Swank/Kelleher/Boyden goals for Tufts that each of them is somewhere in the teens for goals on the season when they're somewhere in the 40s/50s/70s. Just called Bredahl "the big man"...he's listed at 5'9". This is D-III's #1 program playing the #2 program and being hosted by the #3 program that has its own media station. I genuinely don't get it.

Not to be all negative...I really like the CNU broadcast. Have had the games up side by side with this audio on. They can be kind of homer-ish during CNU games but they know the game well and talk a LOT about what's going on. Really really like what CNU offers (except for the camera work sometimes). Scorebug is obviously back to normal. Not sure if the scoreboard issue was on IL's end or not. Always been curious about how IL's scoreboard page works - the live stats page for each game is pretty bad (it's not actually live and there is no pbp) but at least everything is in one place.
Last edited by ah23 on Sat May 21, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Tufts closing out a beat down of Salisbury, setting up a fantastic game vs RIT
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Congrats to Tufts. After a slowish Q1, they really took the Gulls out of their comfort zone and made them play to a frenetic tempo they didn't like. Final score doesn't really reflect just how dominant tufts was. Gulls goalie Shahin made some unbelievable saves to keep the Gulls in the game. As a Gulls fan, best of luck to the Jumbos going forward
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Fantastic game between Union and Gettysburg though you wouldn’t know it from the announcers who sounded like they had both slammed some Valium and chased it with Benadryl. Nice to see someone new moving this far in the tourney, Union has been extremely impressive all year and now is one game from the privilege of coming to Connecticut!
ah23

Post by ah23 »

What a finish from Union! Thought Gettysburg had pulled off the upset when they scored their last goal. Another great matchup to watch tomorrow.
Last edited by ah23 on Sat May 21, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Caught the 4Q and while I agree that the announcers were 'low key' I do like that there were two of them. Made for a better production with a lead guy and a color commentary guy. One of the 'problems' of the call was that you didn't get any crowd noise in it, which made it seem like a quiet, emotionless contest. I'm sure it was anything but that. Agree, fantastic game.

FO guy for Union was huge down the stretch. Should be a classic w York trow.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
LaxDad1967

Post by LaxDad1967 »

pcowlax wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:13 pm Fantastic game between Union and Gettysburg though you wouldn’t know it from the announcers who sounded like they had both slammed some Valium and chased it with Benadryl. Nice to see someone new moving this far in the tourney, Union has been extremely impressive all year and now is one game from the privilege of coming to Connecticut!
Although I agree, I think part of the problem (correct me if I’m wrong) is that they have to call back to back games. Think it’s more tiring mentally and physically then you think
grelch

Post by grelch »

I thought the announcers were good. They were knowledgeable. A lot of the uni announcers aren't.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Yep - rather have mellow and knowledgeable than "more professional" with no knowledge whatsoever. IMO those guys a) know their stuff and b) work together really effectively.
Pegasus5

Post by Pegasus5 »

I watched the RIT-Bowdoin game at the same time while watching Rutgers - Penn. I get it about the RIT announcer but man it was refreshing compared to listening to the references to the Jersey Boys and "Thunderoad" and all of that frat boy insinuated non-sense on ESPN. The RIT announcer is a homer but what do you expect? He gave out a lot of stats about the NESCAC and the Polar Bars that I would never expect a homer to ever know. While RIT poured it on I was actually taken back by how far Bowdoin has come in the NESCAC give the other NESCAC big boys performance in past tournaments. Would never have known it was only their 2nd appearance in the tournament but for the RIT homer announcer. Congratulations on a good season Polar Bears.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Pegasus5 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:14 pm He gave out a lot of stats about the NESCAC and the Polar Bars that I would never expect a homer to ever know. Would never have known it was only their 2nd appearance in the tournament but for the RIT homer announcer.
For a student doing it, maybe. My wife has made that point before when I've grumbled about student broadcasters from the couch - they are college kids, and you never know what their background is (or what the alternative is). However, IIRC the guy at RIT is literally a 'professional' broadcaster. I think someone last year said he's a hockey guy. Monotonously reading numbers off a game preview sheet handed over by the sports information department is pretty much the bare minimum.

FWIW, when I say knowledgeable, I mean actually understanding the game of lacrosse and being able to do some (or just any) analysis/explanation of what you see on the field. Anyone can read names off a sheet like they're taking attendance - some better than others, for sure. When I finally muted the Salisbury-Tufts game and turned the Union-Gburg sound on, literally within twenty seconds one of them was talking about the importance of situational awareness and what he thought Union did that was too aggressive/careless and led to an unnecessary fast break turnover. That is what I mean by being knowledgeable, not "did the sports information dept. hand you a preview sheet".

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”