Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:14 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:10 pm Gee 2016. He was a bad hire. Deal with it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Do you ever do anything other than apologize.

They could have retained Benson. I am certain with your unsurpassed knowledge of offense you can name half a dozen more.

Explain why he was the right hire and better than other established OCs. There seems to be a pattern of trying to deflect and obfuscate rather than explain ex. Why Jr was a great hire.
so you can't name one single person they should have hired instead?

can you even name one other coach in d1 lacrosse other than bobby benson and dave pietramala? beginning to doubt that you can

"there seems to be a pattern of trying to deflect" — that's exactly what you're doing right now. you said he was a bad hire and refuse to name who you'd have preferred. benson wasn't an option. i'm all ears.
You are so obvious in your posts. Pathetic. You project the same way TFG did
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:32 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:24 am Speculation as to the new OC is pointless right now.
God you are insufferable. No it is not pointless. If it doesn't interest you personally feel free to not post about it
Milliman has his own network of lax buddies etc and it's impossible to predict who he will hire.
We were all excited when Jr was hired.
This looks a lot like scapegoating to me.
A coaching change early in his tenure suggests the coach is under fire.
Spin it any way your want, PM's clock is ticking.
runrussellrun

fix stoopid

Post by runrussellrun »

Even in the land of the "lauded-tradition"......what is Johns Hopkins paying an assistant coach at essentially a Div. 3, non revenue sport?

and anyone that doesn't understand the "revolving door" that is/are the employment pattern of Offensive or Defensive cooridnators for our non revenue sport isn't understanding the landscape.

Perhaps Grant Jr. is sick of having to do the "camp" circuit to put food on the table...........
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:48 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:14 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:10 pm Gee 2016. He was a bad hire. Deal with it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Do you ever do anything other than apologize.

They could have retained Benson. I am certain with your unsurpassed knowledge of offense you can name half a dozen more.

Explain why he was the right hire and better than other established OCs. There seems to be a pattern of trying to deflect and obfuscate rather than explain ex. Why Jr was a great hire.
so you can't name one single person they should have hired instead?

can you even name one other coach in d1 lacrosse other than bobby benson and dave pietramala? beginning to doubt that you can

"there seems to be a pattern of trying to deflect" — that's exactly what you're doing right now. you said he was a bad hire and refuse to name who you'd have preferred. benson wasn't an option. i'm all ears.
You are so obvious in your posts. Pathetic. You project the same way TFG did
this is now 5 posts you've gone without naming a single other offensive coordinator candidate you'd have liked to see. it's not a trick question
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 am We were all excited when Jr was hired.
I wouldn't speak for everybody there. While Jr immediately added some star power to the staff by being a brand name for anyone 30+ he wasn't exactly coming in as some known coaching savant as far as I know. Presumably he has/had a fine track record and if you read his bio there were plenty of stops he's made along the way where he's been coaching and helping with player development but the Air Force teams he coordinated for were not some ultra innovative schemes or an offensive juggernaut by any stretch. This is not to say he is/was a bad coach and the offensive woes we've seen to date are really all his fault rather than a roster issue but to say we were all over the moon about the hire I don't think properly characterizes the situation.

As to who replaces him, lord knows. Plenty of the so far brought up names seem just fine if they have an interest, one particular thing of note for Milliman I suppose is he does presumably have a positive experience working with a fairly young coach in Buczek, So perhaps another young alum like a Crawley could be in the cards. I don't know about actual coaching prowess or the feelings toward the university of some of these more recent Petro grads though. Anybody got a kid at Calvert Hall right now? Whats the word on Tinney's coaching ability? He's already in town, is Canadian, and likely offers more star power for a prospective recruit than JGJr at this point. ;)
Last edited by Ruffled_Feathers on Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:24 am Speculation as to the new OC is pointless right now.
God you are insufferable. No it is not pointless. If it doesn't interest you personally feel free to not post about it
Milliman has his own network of lax buddies etc and it's impossible to predict who he will hire.
what happened to the mass exodus you predicted? seems like hopkins is the only team *without* a ton of guys in the portal.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 am We were all excited when Jr was hired.

As to who replaces him, lord knows. Plenty of the so far brought up names seem just fine if they have an interest, one particular thing of note for Milliman I suppose is he does presumably have a positive experience working with a fairly young coach in Buczek, So perhaps another young alum like a Crawley could be in the cards. I don't know about actual coaching prowess or the feelings toward the university of some of these more recent Petro grads though. Anybody got a kid at Calvert Hall right now? Whats the word on Tinney's coaching ability? He's already in town. ;)
Tinney and Crawley are both Petro guys through and through and I doubt they'd want to be a part of the new regime. IF we see an alum I think it's a lot more likely to be someone a little further removed from the current situation like a Rewkowski, who also played with Coach Koesterer.

Young and up and coming is not a bad guess — yes it's a risk for someone early in their career but also potentially high reward. You've got a pretty talented class coming in — after all the histrionics we've already got two offensive players in the Under Armor game — if you're seen as part of the reason Hopkins' offense was able to turn it around after a long period of mediocrity then that could open doors in a way that just going through the motions of a mid-tier D1 or high-tier D3 team doesn't.
Ruffled_Feathers

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am what happened to the mass exodus you predicted? seems like hopkins is the only team *without* a ton of guys in the portal.
I'm hoping this comment ages well, I've been thinking this myself but was gonna leave that one in the chamber at least a few more weeks until the dust all settles.
MDlaxfan76

Re: fix stoopid

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:38 am Even in the land of the "lauded-tradition"......what is Johns Hopkins paying an assistant coach at essentially a Div. 3, non revenue sport?

and anyone that doesn't understand the "revolving door" that is/are the employment pattern of Offensive or Defensive cooridnators for our non revenue sport isn't understanding the landscape.

Perhaps Grant Jr. is sick of having to do the "camp" circuit to put food on the table...........
compliment to you, rrr, this post makes sense to me. ;)

That said, Hopkins would be paying an assistant significantly more in lax than one of the DIII sports, given the alumni financial support for such. But it's still not a lot.

So, you're potentially right that he simply has better opportunities...it's also possible that Milliman feels pressure for the program to do better and he thinks that another OC would be a better fit, perhaps with him personally, or vice versa...It's not as if these guys have lots of history coaching together, sometimes things just don't click.

In other words, we have no idea. :!:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:27 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am what happened to the mass exodus you predicted? seems like hopkins is the only team *without* a ton of guys in the portal.
I'm hoping this comment ages well, I've been thinking this myself but was gonna leave that one in the chamber at least a few more weeks until the dust all settles.
True. From what I've heard, we may see some seniors enter the portal but are unlikely to see many, if any, of the more talented underclassmen go elsewhere. FWIW Peshko just posted an Instagram with the caption "Homewood in 111 days. See you then." If things were truly as bad as the picture Sag has been painting then you'd have seen the whole team enter the portal the second the season was over. Not saying there won't be any — there probably will be, just like most other teams — but things do not seem to be moving in the direction of "mass exodus."

The more I think about it the more I think Jake Bernhardt would be a good candidate...the Terps took one of our guys, why not return the favor. He's done good things up at Vermont, has experience recruiting/coaching Canadians and might be looking for a bigger job. If Benson takes a HC gig he'd be a candidate for the Maryland OC job but they also have Phipps, Chanenchuck, and others to choose from.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I wouldn't speak for everybody there. While Jr immediately added some star power to the staff by being a brand name for anyone 30+ he wasn't exactly coming in as some known coaching savant as far as I know. Presumably he has/had a fine track record and if you read his bio there were plenty of stops he's made along the way where he's been coaching and helping with player development but the Air Force teams he coordinated for were not some ultra innovative schemes or an offensive juggernaut by any stretch. This is not to say he is/was a bad coach and the offensive woes we've seen to date are really all his fault rather than a roster issue but to say we were all over the moon about the hire I don't think properly characterizes the situation.
Wasn't Jr a player/coach for the Outlaws?
And as I recall, his Air Force teams were doing pretty well on offense.
I don't recall anyone here voicing concerns when he was hired.
Hindsight is 20/20.
Who does PM fire when he doesn't make the playoffs next year?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Homer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:31 pm
nyjay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:20 pm If PM actually wants to be the OC himself (which I think is very possible)
I've been wrong about much bigger things before, but from a distance I very much doubt that's the case. My sense is more that PM's ideal is to be recruiter-in-chief, motivator-in-chief, buck-stops-here guy with regard to player issues, and hand off x's and o's completely to two guys he feels he can trust implicitly.
I think you’re wrong there. A guy who relieves Jr. of his duties midway through the year thinks he’s an OC.
Ruffled_Feathers

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:08 am Wasn't Jr a player/coach for the Outlaws?
And as I recall, his Air Force teams were doing pretty well on offense.
I don't recall anyone here voicing concerns when he was hired.
Hindsight is 20/20.
Who does PM fire when he doesn't make the playoffs next year?
Yes he was the Outlaws player-coach for a spell, but the MLL ranks were of course packed with top level talent and was always a league dominated by player ability and performances rather than brilliant schemes on either side of the ball. While he did well there I don't think we can really classify it as some epic stroke of coaching genius.

As for his time at Air Force...
AFA 2019 - 9.733 GPG (146 in 15)
AFA 2020 - 10.286 GPG (72 in 7)

Unless I did some math wrong these aren't exactly eye popping totals. He surely helped contribute to some real nice wins like the early season upset of Duke in 2020 during his time there but its nothing particularly wowing and this is what we knew coming in. Again this is not to say he is a terrible coach or was a terrible choice for the program at the time but I don't know who around the time of the original hire was touting that he was a slam dunk sure-fire difference making get from an Xs and Os perspective. He is/was a recognizable name that can presumably coach to some ability and maybe helped you get an extra canadian or two to sign on the dotted line because of his name.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am
what happened to the mass exodus you predicted? seems like hopkins is the only team *without* a ton of guys in the portal.
I would say losing an assistant coach, considering that there are only two of them, could be considered major attrition.
The offseason is still young!
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 am

As to who replaces him, lord knows. Plenty of the so far brought up names seem just fine if they have an interest, one particular thing of note for Milliman I suppose is he does presumably have a positive experience working with a fairly young coach in Buczek, So perhaps another young alum like a Crawley could be in the cards. I don't know about actual coaching prowess or the feelings toward the university of some of these more recent Petro grads though. Anybody got a kid at Calvert Hall right now? Whats the word on Tinney's coaching ability? He's already in town. ;)
Tinney and Crawley are both Petro guys through and through and I doubt they'd want to be a part of the new regime.
They wouldn’t without the blessing of the Godfather which I don’t think they would even ask for.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 am

Tinney and Crawley are both Petro guys through and through and I doubt they'd want to be a part of the new regime. IF we see an alum I think it's a lot more likely to be someone a little further removed from the current situation like a Rewkowski, who also played with Coach Koesterer.

Young and up and coming is not a bad guess — yes it's a risk for someone early in their career but also potentially high reward. You've got a pretty talented class coming in — after all the histrionics we've already got two offensive players in the Under Armor game — if you're seen as part of the reason Hopkins' offense was able to turn it around after a long period of mediocrity then that could open doors in a way that just going through the motions of a mid-tier D1 or high-tier D3 team doesn't.
Probably a huge stretch but maybe one of the offensive coaches at Michigan? Justin Turri or Danny Murphy from Tufts. Not exactly the Canadian style but their offense did great at the beginning of the season. Murphy bring the fast paced offensive style used at Tufts, Brown, and UVA.
dms87

Post by dms87 »

Conceptually, yes. I liked the risk that came with this choice.

PM, likely after some self awareness and self assessment, also a discussion with his boss, had a difficult conversation with Jr. That is the definition of leadership. If things do not fit the vision for your program, you make changes. If you were leading a 5 year project, which is basically what his contract is, would you ignore the negative trends in the results two years in? Ignore the names of the people, this was a business decision. PM saw the O as his biggest project risk going into year 3 and in an effort to mitigate that risk he is changing a leader/strategy/approach. This was simply the right move, given his options, to make.

I pray Tinney calls PM and says "I'm your Huckleberry". Go Hop!
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Surprised nobody has mentioned Steele Stanwick yet...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:46 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am
I would say losing an assistant coach, considering that there are only two of them, could be considered major attrition.
The offseason is still young!
Re: A Mass exodus in the portal-
Where are the JHU players gonna go?
Their stock as players isn't very high right now. So they would likely be downgrading lacrosse program wise, and academically and degree-wise.
If it was the offense a player disliked, there will be a new coach coming in any day now
Probably easier and better for the palyers int he long run to stay put and ride this out, rather than pick up and move.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 pm Surprised nobody has mentioned Steele Stanwick yet...
He's gonna cut his teeth at the h/s level first. He's headed to Blakefield.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”