Maryland 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:58 pm I'm struggling as to why anyone thinks the current UMD is so good or why the near term future looks so wonderful. Last year they lost 3 times to NW and twice by running clock. You did add a great transfer player buy why should anyone view that as anything more than a bandaid. She is gone after this year and you really don't have much firepower on either end of the field that I can see. You will have to deal with NW and Scane for the two years and I think most people would see NW as the stronger team. I hope for UMD's sake that they beat NW handily this year because that is what both BC and UNC did. Hard to say you are at the caliber of BC and UNC if you don't take care of business vs NW. Is there a good reason as to why UMD did not schedule their typical good out of conference games this year?
I'm not really sure how the conversation ended up where it did on this thread - but back to the original post about Maryland not getting any recognition for what they have done this current season: I think they've done enough to show that they have improved from last year, but I can't really tell any further than that until they play their upcoming games.

Cordingly gives them a big boost this year, but at this point Maryland will return all scorers (through 6 games) except Cordingly and Griffin next year. Between the transfer portal, incoming freshmen, and gained experience & development of current players - I just think it's way too early to write off Maryland's 2023 roster 6 games in to 2022.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm Maryland will return all scorers (through 6 games) except Cordingly and Griffin next year. Between the transfer portal, incoming freshmen, and gained experience & development of current players - I just think it's way too early to write off Maryland's 2023 roster 6 games in to 2022.
That is a big drop off. Cordingley is averaging 7.67 points a game....maybe against lesser teams, but the level of competition doesnt really get much harder. That would be 123 points in the regular season (16 games) with 64 goals....I am sure defenses will cue in on her, but that one player production will be hard to replace.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:07 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm Maryland will return all scorers (through 6 games) except Cordingly and Griffin next year. Between the transfer portal, incoming freshmen, and gained experience & development of current players - I just think it's way too early to write off Maryland's 2023 roster 6 games in to 2022.
That is a big drop off. Cordingley is averaging 7.67 points a game....maybe against lesser teams, but the level of competition doesnt really get much harder. That would be 123 points in the regular season (16 games) with 64 goals....I am sure defenses will cue in on her, but that one player production will be hard to replace.
Oh it is, I agree, especially at this point in the season - I was just trying to account for the fact that other players will be getting a lot of experience this year, and the possibility that it could translate into much more production in 2023 than we're seeing now. If you took her off the field right now there would be an enormous drop off. I don't currently see any one player that could replace her production - what I'm saying is that between now and the start of the 2023 season I think it's possible for returning players to improve & for the addition of freshmen and possible transfers to make up for some of that production in 2023. It's just a possibility - could also go the other way
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:33 pm Oh it is, I agree, especially at this point in the season - I was just trying to account for the fact that other players will be getting a lot of experience this year, and the possibility that it could translate into much more production in 2023 than we're seeing now. If you took her off the field right now there would be an enormous drop off. I don't currently see any one player that could replace her production - what I'm saying is that between now and the start of the 2023 season I think it's possible for returning players to improve & for the addition of freshmen and possible transfers to make up for some of that production in 2023. It's just a possibility - could also go the other way
Absolutely. The player(s) who step into Aurora's shoes will have a big void to fill. Who becomes the next UMD star(s) will likely be who fills that void. Is it one player or 3, I dont know.

UMD is a top 10 team every year. Are they top 5 or top 3 this year, I wouldnt be able to guess.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:58 pm I'm struggling as to why anyone thinks the current UMD is so good or why the near term future looks so wonderful. Last year they lost 3 times to NW and twice by running clock. You did add a great transfer player buy why should anyone view that as anything more than a bandaid. She is gone after this year and you really don't have much firepower on either end of the field that I can see. You will have to deal with NW and Scane for the two years and I think most people would see NW as the stronger team. I hope for UMD's sake that they beat NW handily this year because that is what both BC and UNC did. Hard to say you are at the caliber of BC and UNC if you don't take care of business vs NW. Is there a good reason as to why UMD did not schedule their typical good out of conference games this year?
I think it’s a phenomenon that occurs with a​ny​ fan base when their team establishes a dynasty. Many of the fans get locked into this place of having their identity all wrapped up in the success of the team. When down years and/or the beginning of a decline occurs, the fans in this group are typically in denial and continue to act and talk as if nothing has changed and they’ll be back to their winning ways in no time. They also repeatedly refer to the past accomplishments of the team as if ​it​​'​s proof that the dynasty will continue, and ​that having great success previously gives them the edge now.​​ I recognize this because we’re currently going through it in Boston with the New England Patriots.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^ New England isn’t the football epicenter of the world like Maryland is the home of lacrosse. Maryland lacrosse is more like Penn State wrestling or Pittsburg Steelers … an entire area from little kids through high school through college where the sport is paramount. Maryland is good at lacrosse since forever and assuming it always will be. New England somewhat but not to to same degree would lean more toward hockey.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:27 am ^^ New England isn’t the football epicenter of the world like Maryland is the home of lacrosse. Maryland lacrosse is more like Penn State wrestling or Pittsburg Steelers … an entire area from little kids through high school through college where the sport is paramount. Maryland is good at lacrosse since forever and assuming it always will be. New England somewhat but not to to same degree would lean more toward hockey.
Dynasty fan base behavior is the issue. The sport or region in which the dynasty occurs is irrelevant.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Maryland is not "the home of lacrosse."
See what Jeremy has to say about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxM5mcuCR8M
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:49 am Maryland is not "the home of lacrosse."
State sport
Most historic championships by far
Hall of fame location
Best high school leagues.

Old Bay, Lacrosse and Maryland like the red white and blue
Bart

Post by Bart »

Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:59 am
State sport
Hall of fame location

You really are fantastic at trolling. Keep at it
DMac

Post by DMac »

None of that makes it the home of lacrosse, you just want it to be that way.
Hall Of Fame is a huge disappointment, the walls of the Carrier Dome and
trophy cases offers nearly as much.
Most historic championships says you but I aint buyin' it.
Take a gander at this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op7GNT17_Qc
Best HS leagues says you...don't mean jack.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:09 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:59 am
State sport
Hall of fame location

You really are fantastic at trolling. Keep at it

The Maryland Starbucks mug is the only one with lacrosse stick on it

New York has a baseball and bat
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Whoever runs UMD’s social media does a fantastic job
Testudo98

Post by Testudo98 »

Our PR program is a wonderful asset as is our coach. She’s the best coach in our school and she’s the best coach in women’s lacrosse.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Absolutely!
user1020

Post by user1020 »

You can tell just from short clips of her talking that she’s a great coach and has established a wonderful culture and environment with the team
OuttaNowhereWregget

We’ll see how good Maryland is after they play at Princeton and vs Northwestern next month. The Big 10 tournament will show still more, and then the NCAA’s. They won’t be adding #16 this year—let me disabuse any of that notion right off the top. We’ll see what they look like next year.

It remains to be seen if Reese will be successful at beginning a third chapter of the Maryland dynasty after 2 subpar (by Terp standards) seasons, (the first chapter being the Cindy Timchal era from 1992-2001, 8 national titles; and the second being the current Cathy Reese era 2010-2022, 5 national titles).

Not sure I’d award the current best coach in women’s lacrosse to Reese. We’ll see at the end of this season. If BC wins another or even gets back to the final, folks might have to start considering Acacia Walker-Weinstein in the conversation for current best coach.

As TL would say, that is all.

(Where is ol’ TL anyway? Is he in good health? Any of you Maryland fans know?)
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Are you kidding about considering Acacia Walker-Weinstein as the current best coach? All Cathy Reese has done is to have the highest winning percentage of any coach in any sport amateur or professional. She has won 5 National Championships and numerous ACC (6) and Big Ten championships (3). Acacia has not even won an ACC Championship and has one National Championship in 4 tries. I believe Acacia is a top up and coming coach but she still stands behind Cathy Reese. Maryland may have had two sub par seasons but they are on their way back. Please go ahead and dismiss them from this year...they continue to improve every week and may well be a threat come Memorial Day. Perhaps BC will add an ACC title this year although they were unable to beat UNC at home last week.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:04 am Are you kidding about considering Acacia Walker-Weinstein as the current best coach? All Cathy Reese has done is to have the highest winning percentage of any coach in any sport amateur or professional. She has won 5 National Championships and numerous ACC (6) and Big Ten championships (3). Acacia has not even won an ACC Championship and has one National Championship in 4 tries. I believe Acacia is a top up and coming coach but she still stands behind Cathy Reese. Maryland may have had two sub par seasons but they are on their way back. Please go ahead and dismiss them from this year...they continue to improve every week and may well be a threat come Memorial Day. Perhaps BC will add an ACC title this year although they were unable to beat UNC at home last week.
Yes, with the stipulation I cited.

Anything on TL?
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Haven't heard anything from TL.... he seems to have dropped off posting. I hope he is okay.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”