Mustang Classic March 15-16

D3 Mens Lacrosse

Who is going 2-0 at the Mustang Classic?

Amherst
12%
Denison
No votes
Dickinson
10%
Franklin and Marshall
7%
Lynchburg
10%
Middlebury
2%
RIT
14%
Stevenson
7%
Wesleyan
21%
York
17%

Total votes: 42

DeepPocket

Re: Mustang Classic March 15-16

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:36 pm
I whole heartedly agree. Stevenson put together a great program so far and is really impressing me with the angles / replays etc. top notch calls as well.
Lol I guess I can take that back. I can’t get a York RIT video feed....
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

? Rain delay
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Nah. I finally got in. 3-1 York at start of 2nd.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

5-4 RIT at the half. 2nd was pretty much all RIT except for the last 2 minutes which saw York notch one and follow it up with continuous pressure but to no avail. Hopefully York carries that last few minutes of momentum into the second half.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

8-6 RIT after 3. York dominated time of possession for the quarter but didn’t capitalize enough. Around the 3 minute mark RIT rattled off 3 straight. York took the last goal of the quarter and we go to the 4th.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

10-6 RIT with the win. RIT got both of their goals of the last quarter early on. It was a back and forth of possession affair from there. RIT seized the opportunities when they presented themselves and capitalized. Plain and simple.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

4:41 here come the Hornets. Stevenson had controlled this game. Hornets true to form while down don’t panic , sticks to their game plan and tie it up. Well executed and disciplined offensively they are a mentally tough team. 6-1 differential 4th qtr, outstanding job by hornets and Coach K. Stevenson put the poles on the hornets mids which I thought was pretty effective until the 4th qtr when they had a mental breakdown all over the field
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

11-9 Lynchburg wins it. I was really impressed with the Stevenson defense, right up until the fourth quarter, which became a 6-1 goal differential in favor or Lynchburg. Hanging their heads, arguing with one another, pointing fingers, as goal after goal went in.... composure fellas!
Nothinbutthelax

6 for 24 on FO’s. LYN defense good enough tonight to overcome that.
Stevie Defense was very good. 13 of the 41 GBs were from poles and goalie.. Poling the mids was a good call countered by Coach K subbing out two 5-8 150 lbs attackman with two 6’ 175 guys who rode hard and combined for the go ahead..
LYN defense buckled down in 4th too but gave Stevie 4 EMO that went 0-4.
If not for shot clock 6 for 24 FOs is not overcome..
Very late game, draining. lYN played 24 guys but will be interesting to see if they have the gas tomorrow..
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Great first day at Mustang Classic. IMO Wesleyan, Amherst, RIT and York clearly justified their D3 rankings. Their play and level of lacrosse simply better than other D3 schools I’ve watched this year.
The 80 sec shot clock and when to reset seems to be an ongoing issue at the tournament. Number of occasions when wide shots, not touched by the goalie, resulted in the clock being reset. Not sure if the officials are indicating the reset incorrectly, or if the sideline timekeeper is making assumptions on shot being on-cage or contacted by the goalie and resetting on their own.
Should be great games today, particularly RIT/Amherst.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Middlebury taking it to Dickinson so far, devils can’t find the net
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pucksandbones

Post by pucksandbones »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:48 pm Middlebury taking it to Dickinson so far, #11 for the Devils has been taking way too many ill advised shots leading to an easy save or turnover. Need to be more selective
Dickinson has looked terrible all over the field. Bad shots and lazy passes offensively, losing GB all over the fiels, can't clear, and letting up uncontested shots that the goalie just isn't seeing.

Looks like they came in too confident in this one.

Middlebury on the other hand playing extremely disciplined offense, quick crisp ball movement and smart shots
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Middlebury pulls off the upset over Dickinson 16-11
Nothinbutthelax

Filthy - good discription of RIT transition O by announcer
richard

Post by richard »

I've been watching lacrosse for over 60 years. Without a doubt this tournament features the best lacrosse in one place at one time I've ever seen. The only tournament that ever was close was the Heros tournament back in the 70s. Congrats to Stevenson and the competing teams for making this happen and putting on such a great show. :D
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

richard wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:42 pm I've been watching lacrosse for over 60 years. Without a doubt this tournament features the best lacrosse in one place at one time I've ever seen. The only tournament that ever was close was the Heros tournament back in the 70s. Congrats to Stevenson and the competing teams for making this happen and putting on such a great show. :D
No doubt.

York leads Stevenson 3-2 at the half. Mustangs D and goalie really keeping them alive in this one.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Amherst downs RIT 17-16, two extraordinary teams, probably best 2 offenses in the country, I suspect they will meet again.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

8-4 York after 3
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

12-4 York final.
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:49 pm Amherst downs RIT 17-16, two extraordinary teams, probably best 2 offenses in the country, I suspect they will meet again.
It’s nice to see a true lax fan appreciate two superb teams go head to head, and it’s sad that one of these undefeated teams had to lose their first game. Tremendous comeback by Amherst and they were just enough better today to get the W. Congrats to all these fine players for putting on a show and reminding us why we play this beautiful game. Perhaps they will meet again, but the NESCEAC is full of tremendous teams. As a RIT Tiger, I’ve seen how competent this league is from top to bottom and am hopeful that the Liberty League will build the same competitive balance. That’s why it pisses me off that some knucklehead on the NESCEAC thread predicted a 18-9 victory for Amherst before these two teams even played. Do you even watch opponents games or are you so insulated in NE that reality never crosses your mind. Yea I’m talking about you Nothing But Net. Get a grip on yourself and do some honest analysis. Finally, thank you to Stevenson for putting on yet another phenomenal weekend of D3 lacrosse. The video feed was superb and the announcers were fair and measured. I for one am looking forward to another few months of great lacrosse and hope to see you all in Philly.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”