Transfer Portal 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Transfer Portal 2022

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Terpslax1991 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:26 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:51 pm
keno in reno wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:48 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 pm Why a Duke/ Danowski or Maryland/Tillman needs to resort to the transfer portal is beyond me since they already have recruiting advantages and tend to annually haul in top classes year in, year out.

Telling me those respective staffs cant develop their 4-5 star recruits and compete on that basis for a championship? Watching damn good players getting displaced is a disgrace

Same to a varying degrees for ND, Denver and Rutgers in that order who went heavy.

Pleased that UVA won again without resorting to acquiring several transfers.

True challenge of competition is selecting and developing your own, not picking up number of players developed by others.
So acquiring an all-american transfer in Bertrand is ok and fair, but that's the limit! Is having the #1 recruit in Ryan Conrad followed by the #1 recruit Shellenberger true to the challenge of competition (playing alongside #2 recruit Dox Aitken plus #1 midfielder Matt Moore)?
Exactly. Thanks for reinforcing my point about the inherent recruiting advantage that Duke and Maryland share with UVA . There should be no need to bring in several and displaced what you've recruited and should have developed.
I just can’t disagree more here. The Terps lost Avanzato (One of Towson’s leading scorers) and Pallonetti (SB leading scorer) not because they couldn’t play but b/c we had a log jam of talent. There are only 20 guys that play most of the minutes. It’s more like they leave for greener pastures / playing time and we fill a hole/ depth when they depart. It’s essentially a trade. Most would call that great roster management. How do you “develop” Pallonetti to overtake Logan W? He was going to have to watch him….
Didn’t Logan transfer in?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:08 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 pm Why a Duke/ Danowski or Maryland/Tillman needs to resort to the transfer portal is beyond me since they already have recruiting advantages and tend to annually haul in top classes year in, year out.

Telling me those respective staffs cant develop their 4-5 star recruits and compete on that basis for a championship? Watching damn good players getting displaced is a disgrace

Same to a varying degrees for ND, Denver and Rutgers in that order who went heavy.

True challenge of competition is selecting and developing your own, not picking up number of players developed by others.
So acquiring an all-american transfer in Bertrand is ok and fair, but that's the limit! Is having the #1 recruit in Ryan Conrad followed by the #1 recruit Shellenberger true to the challenge of competition (playing alongside #2 recruit Dox Aitken plus #1 midfielder Matt Moore)?
Exactly. Thanks for reinforcing my point about the inherent recruiting advantage that Duke and Maryland share with UVA . There should be no need to bring in several and displaced what you've recruited and should have developed.
I just can’t disagree more here. The Terps lost Avanzato (One of Towson’s leading scorers) and Pallonetti (SB leading scorer) not because they couldn’t play but b/c we had a log jam of talent. There are only 20 guys that play most of the minutes. It’s more like they leave for greener pastures / playing time and we fill a hole/ depth when they depart. It’s essentially a trade. Most would call that great roster management. How do you “develop” Pallonetti to overtake Logan W? He was going to have to watch him….
Didn’t Logan transfer in?
Yes as a freshman. My understanding there were several reasons for leaving Cuse.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

ABClaxfan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:02 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 pm Scanlan nearly went to UVA too. According to IL, Virginia was at one point the "front-runner" to land him.

Who knows what other players Tiffany went after, only for them to choose a different destination. The Hoos clearly didn't need any more help this year, but I don't think we should assume Tiffany is above the whole fray just because they ultimately only brought in one guy. That doesn't necessarily mean they didn't try to get others. Same story with UNC.

I'm moderately intrigued about why the Donville to Maryland news hasn't officially come out yet. If it's been such a done deal for awhile now, why hasn't someone reported it? Or why hasn't anyone acknowledged it via social media? Not saying the rumor was unfounded, just curious why that one still seems to be lingering.
Guessing Donville may just be waiting for official admission?? Not sure, believe there is at least one more transfer headed to Maryland that is waiting for the final details before going public
Hope he is a FO
uvaumdlaxfam

Post by uvaumdlaxfam »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 pm Scanlan nearly went to UVA too. According to IL, Virginia was at one point the "front-runner" to land him.

Who knows what other players Tiffany went after, only for them to choose a different destination. The Hoos clearly didn't need any more help this year, but I don't think we should assume Tiffany is above the whole fray just because they ultimately only brought in one guy. That doesn't necessarily mean they didn't try to get others. Same story with UNC.

I'm moderately intrigued about why the Donville to Maryland news hasn't officially come out yet. If it's been such a done deal for awhile now, why hasn't someone reported it? Or why hasn't anyone acknowledged it via social media? Not saying the rumor was unfounded, just curious why that one still seems to be lingering.
Guessing Donville may just be waiting for official admission?? Not sure, believe there is at least one more transfer headed to Maryland that is waiting for the final details before going public
Hope he is a FO
Don't know which FO in the portal can even make a difference for the Terps. Maybe Tygh with the upside and multiple years of eligibility? But he has been disappointing so far.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

uvaumdlaxfam wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Hope he is a FO
Don't know which FO in the portal can even make a difference for the Terps. Maybe Tygh with the upside and multiple years of eligibility? But he has been disappointing so far.
The Hobart kid was over 60% this year. Not sure if he can replicate that in the Big Ten but at least gives them multiple options with him and Wierman and having multiple options has always been something they’ve been able to exploit well
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Hope he is a FO
The Hobart kid was over 60% this year. Not sure if he can replicate that in the Big Ten but at least gives them multiple options with him and Wierman and having multiple options has always been something they’ve been able to exploit well
Drew Blanchard was 13-23 v SJUs Cole who was 3rd team/HM AA and it wasn't even as close as the stats say. UMD would be lucky to have him. He'll have no problem getting in to any program as he graduated Ph Beta Kappa.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:09 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Hope he is a FO
Drew Blanchard was 13-23 v SJUs Cole who was 3rd team/HM AA and it wasn't even as close as the stats say. UMD would be lucky to have him. He'll have no problem getting in to any program as he graduated Phi Beta Kappa.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Hope he is a FO
attackman
DMac

Post by DMac »

Scanlan?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

ABClaxfan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm
attackman
Well, that leaves 1 of 2 choices.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:39 am
blue angels wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:09 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am
Blackdoglax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 am Is it fair to say if you had 3 starters or more from the transfer portal that would make you a big user? Just curious?
I would say 3 starters makes you a team that works the transfer portal. Duke had 2 starters. Did Denver have 3? TD split time as a starter. I believe ND had 3 at least? 2 starters isn’t heavily using the portal? Last year was an anomaly in my mind….I want to see who are frequent users of the portal over the next few seasons. Part of my needle is that we all tend to exaggerate….Duke took a lot of arrows and it was only 2 starters Sowers and Adler but I could he wrong…..Rutgers and ND are all in this season it seems. BTW, Maryland has been historically a strategic user of the transfer wire. Tillman seems to use it annually to fill holes. Not sure how active they are now. My guess is he is going to stick to his formula.
I think Duke took the arrows because the two were first team and third team AAs.
I also think you have to look beyond just transfer starters. If the transfers are in the regular rotation, they are taking playing time away from some existing players on the roster…….I think Duke had a lot more than just the 2 transfers in their rotation. I guess the positive is that kids are leveraging lacrosse into getting an extra year of Grad school …..That wasn’t true at every program but was for many at Duke, Virginia and UNC, and others
Are SSDM and LSM bench players? If you had to guess, who were the other transfers in Duke’s rotation?
what happened to the fogo from HC that went there? Philip Robertson was expected to do more when he made the move but as a grad student from an Ivy and his brother was there as mitigating circumstances. If those two had done more, and potentially could've, then you'd be looking at four major contributors who weren't organic by any means.

(BTW, wasting an MBA from anywhere without any work experience is not the optimal move IMO).
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thats a hamster wheel that inertia can blow up as well. Short termism which can buy a long term contract for a coach and a lot of rope but is it in the long term best interest of the program and institution?
See Martin, Malcolm
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 pm
Blackdoglax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 am Is it fair to say if you had 3 starters or more from the transfer portal that would make you a big user? Just curious?
I would say 3 starters makes you a team that works the transfer portal. Duke had 2 starters. Did Denver have 3? TD split time as a starter. I believe ND had 3 at least? 2 starters isn’t heavily using the portal? Last year was an anomaly in my mind….I want to see who are frequent users of the portal over the next few seasons. Part of my needle is that we all tend to exaggerate….Duke took a lot of arrows and it was only 2 starters Sowers and Adler but I could he wrong…..Rutgers and ND are all in this season it seems. BTW, Maryland has been historically a strategic user of the transfer wire. Tillman seems to use it annually to fill holes. Not sure how active they are now. My guess is he is going to stick to his formula.
I think Duke took the arrows because the two were first team and third team AAs.
I also think you have to look beyond just transfer starters. If the transfers are in the regular rotation, they are taking playing time away from some existing players on the roster…….I think Duke had a lot more than just the 2 transfers in their rotation. I guess the positive is that kids are leveraging lacrosse into getting an extra year of Grad school …..That wasn’t true at every program but was for many at Duke, Virginia and UNC, and others
Are SSDM and LSM bench players? If you had to guess, who were the other transfers in Duke’s rotation?
what happened to the fogo from HC that went there? Philip Robertson was expected to do more when he made the move but as a grad student from an Ivy and his brother was there as mitigating circumstances. If those two had done more, and potentially could've, then you'd be looking at four major contributors who weren't organic by any means.

(BTW, wasting an MBA from anywhere without any work experience is not the optimal move IMO).
He got beat out by Naso and barely played. I remember saying that move didn’t make much sense to me considering what they had at FO and what was coming in and got told he was going to make a big impact...didn’t happen. Of course didn’t hurt Duke, Naso was great, but yeah not great decision for him in hindsight. Or maybe he loved the experience who knows
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hope he is a FO
Don't sleep on Drew Blanchard from Hobart (https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp ... &path=mlax), depending on Holden's experience he could act as a advocate as well. As I've learned more, Holden had little time and his leg issue was very real so I think what you saw last couple of games and in the playoffs (had a very nice goal in the semis, or was that quarters) would've been early in season and more of an impact if he had more time with the team and full health from the jump.

Through 2019 he was behind a kid named Matt Pedicine who set the NCAA record for faceoff wins in a single game and was pretty outstanding but when given the opportunity he excelled. (and we overworked Pedicine worse than Cuse did with Ben Williams, a huge mistake that cost us later in his last two seasons and that record might've been the worst thing to happen to the team)
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hope he is a FO
attackman
Unfortunately Jason Knox could also be it. Throw out this year, his situation was messy but not in a Scanlon/nanticoke sort of way, much less under his control. Look at 19-20. He's legit and was very successful at younger ages in Jr B in Canada. More talented scorer than Justin Scott but not really as much of a box type as you'd expect from the profile.

https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp ... &path=mlax
See Martin, Malcolm
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:32 pm

Hope he is a FO
attackman
Unfortunately Jason Knox could also be it. Throw out this year, his situation was messy but not in a Scanlon/nanticoke sort of way, much less under his control. Look at 19-20. He's legit and was very successful at younger ages in Jr B in Canada. More talented scorer than Justin Scott but not really as much of a box type as you'd expect from the profile.

https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp ... &path=mlax
Could be, but the rumors have connected MD to Murphy or Khan so it's one of those two I'd bet
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 pm

Offense was a mess there. I am not certain that Phil Robertson did an MBA.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Does Fuqua offer other masters programs than MBA houses inside their school? I don’t know and made the assumption given he was listed as at Fuqua.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:29 am Does Fuqua offer other masters programs than MBA houses inside their school? I don’t know and made the assumption given he was listed as at Fuqua.
Ok. I thought he was a 1 year management studies grad student.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Back when I was there (and it has been a while), there was an MS in Management, but IIRC, it was solely an off-ramp for Ph. D. candidates rather than an intended destination. Perhaps a driven student could get there in a year, but it was generally more like three, when the student and faculty agree the dissertation is going nowhere and patience is running out on at least one side. There were also joint programs with Public Health and Forestry, but (again) IIRC, it would only be one year if you already had fulfilled (say) the MPH requirements.

There were various non-daytime programs, some of which could offer a degree, but, even with credit for experience, they generally took longer than the daytime programs, and I was unaware if any non-daytime students would have been eligible for varsity sports.

Edit: Ten seconds of searching beats my memory: There is a 10 month program: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/mms
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”