Womens USA team Who you got?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

Re: Womens USA team Who you got?

Post by LarryGamLax »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:56 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:45 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 am Nice compliment this week for CN from UNC coach and former star Marie McCool.

“What the collegiate players have been able to do for our sport is incredible. Charlotte North specifically, she is so talented,” McCool said. “She’s doing things that nobody has done before with her stickwork. It’s so important for young kids to see those things.“

No mention of assists to shots ratio or excessive cellies so clearly Charlotte is learning from our posters. :D

Respect Marie and like her very much. That was a nice compliment about Charlotte North, but it really isn't exactly accurate. Marie is young, so she sees CN do things and assumes the things she sees are things "that nobody has done before". I could name a number of players(many of whom most of you would not know) who were stick wizards, but what CN has is TV(streaming incl.) and the big stage.
Always nice when players can respect other player's talent.
Marie McCool helped to coach a team that went 20-1 this year. She entered UNC in the fall of 2014 and went on to win a national championship and be named a Tewaaraton finalist twice. Prior to Carolina, she won three state championships at Moorestown. So that means she has been coaching, playing and observing lacrosse at a very high level for the past 11 years. Mesh pockets were first allowed in 2018 and by all accounts that enabled women to elevate what they could do with their sticks. Perhaps there were women before Charlotte who had greater skills, but given stick technology and North's innovation, McCool's statement is accurate that "She's doing things that nobody has done before with her stickwork." CN has hit 90 MPH on the radar gun. That is something that was simply not possible with the old technology. Of course there is also the increased hold of the mesh sticks that allow for more aggressive dodging and more creative shooting release points. I suppose it's possible that other women that most of us would not know achieved more with less. Would you mind sharing just a few names of those women?

Hey CO, thanks for the Marie McCool history lesson. I guess you missed the part where I said I respect and like Marie very much. I know all about her from Moorestown HS. She happened to play for The Knoblochs(Deanna, HC and KC, Asst Coach) and they are longtime friends. Marie is YOUNG! I didn't make that up...it's a fact! If I listen to you, her playing and observing for the past 10 years(she's only been coaching for one year), somehow trumps my considerable experience. Am I getting this right or is that not what you meant to do? I somehow feel that you were trying to belittle me because I said that Marie's statement(specifically the "that nobody has ever done before") was not exactly accurate. I have seen a lot of stuff in the sport of Lacrosse(Men's and Women's) and I have seen great talented players, that a player just a few years out of college more than likely wouldn't know.

I'll name a few...Candy Finn, Margie Anderson, Gail Cummings, the late Sue Mellis Sofarnos, Katrina Dowd(a lot of people seem to forget how special she was), Nicole Flego, Nora Maguire, Kylie Ohlmiller(I think she's still around), Michele Tumolo(any idea where she is these days :roll: ), Selena Lasota

Hope I was able to address this properly. I'm sure you will tell me if I haven't.
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:12 pm I completely disagree Cletus. If he wants to defend himself, he can do so. Why are you stepping into this?

Yep, I wouldn’t give an inch because nothing he said was persuasive. You do realize that neither he nor you would give an inch either, right?
Why am I stepping into this? You engaged me on this first, Bill. You addressed me twice earlier in this thread. Remember? You called me a "fanboy" which is fine. I wasn't offended--guilty as charged. And then you addressed me in the following quote "the creepy, ad hominem attacks (not from you)." But just to accurately answer your question, I'm here because you engaged me.

I'm not defending CO. He is more than capable of doing that himself. I wish I could write as well, and compile as well as he does. If I was the judge at this Charlotte North debate event he would have won by a landslide a while back.

Also--I didn't give an inch regarding North because I thought the case made against her was nit-picky and irrelevant given the whole of her accomplishments this season, and especially in the NCAA's. But I quickly determined the debate on North wouldn't be logical or rational so I stopped engaging on the subject. To wit: I didn't give an inch because I was right. 😉

Just trying to bring a more conversational tone and bring the intensity level down ultimately is why I am lightly conversing with you this time on the topic after being addressed. “It's all good” as the young folks say these days. We're just talking.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 am
Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 am Nice compliment this week for CN from UNC coach and former star Marie McCool.

“What the collegiate players have been able to do for our sport is incredible. Charlotte North specifically, she is so talented,” McCool said. “She’s doing things that nobody has done before with her stickwork. It’s so important for young kids to see those things.“

No mention of assists to shots ratio or excessive cellies so clearly Charlotte is learning from our posters. :D

Respect Marie and like her very much. That was a nice compliment about Charlotte North, but it really isn't exactly accurate. Marie is young, so she sees CN do things and assumes the things she sees are things "that nobody has done before". I could name a number of players(many of whom most of you would not know) who were stick wizards, but what CN has is TV(streaming incl.) and the big stage.
Marie McCool helped to coach a team that went 20-1 this year. She entered UNC in the fall of 2014 and went on to win a national championship and be named a Tewaaraton finalist twice. Prior to Carolina, she won three state championships at Moorestown. So that means she has been coaching, playing and observing lacrosse at a very high level for the past 11 years. Mesh pockets were first allowed in 2018 and by all accounts that enabled women to elevate what they could do with their sticks. Perhaps there were women before Charlotte who had greater skills, but given stick technology and North's innovation, McCool's statement is accurate that "She's doing things that nobody has done before with her stickwork." CN has hit 90 MPH on the radar gun. That is something that was simply not possible with the old technology. Of course there is also the increased hold of the mesh sticks that allow for more aggressive dodging and more creative shooting release points. I suppose it's possible that other women that most of us would not know achieved more with less. Would you mind sharing just a few names of those women?

Hey CO, thanks for the Marie McCool history lesson. I guess you missed the part where I said I respect and like Marie very much. I know all about her from Moorestown HS. She happened to play for The Knoblochs(Deanna, HC and KC, Asst Coach) and they are longtime friends. Marie is YOUNG! I didn't make that up...it's a fact! If I listen to you, her playing and observing for the past 10 years(she's only been coaching for one year), somehow trumps my considerable experience. Am I getting this right or is that not what you meant to do? I somehow feel that you were trying to belittle me because I said that Marie's statement(specifically the "that nobody has ever done before") was not exactly accurate. I have seen a lot of stuff in the sport of Lacrosse(Men's and Women's) and I have seen great talented players, that a player just a few years out of college more than likely wouldn't know.

I'll name a few...Candy Finn, Margie Anderson, Gail Cummings, Katrina Dowd(a lot of people seem to forget how special she was), Nicole Flego, Nora Maguire, Kylie Ohlmiller(I think she's still around), Michele Tumolo(any idea where she is these days :roll: ), Selena Lasota

Hope I was able to address this properly. I'm sure you will tell me if I haven't.
Nothing but respect for your knowledge and experience. I have included photos and a video of the first three women you mention. Clearly they are all talented and deserve our respect. That was a different era, however, with different equipment. You can’t do what CN is doing with a wooden stick. The game itself is different today and she approaches it even differently from her peers. I can’t speak for Marie, but I am confident that she is aware of the more modern players you mention. I would be interested in your thoughts on mesh pockets which your post didn't address and was really my main point.
Attachments
IMG_5039 (1).JPG
IMG_5039 (1).JPG (18.45 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
IMG_5037.JPG
IMG_5037.JPG (17.47 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
Bart

Post by Bart »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:59 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:54 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:15 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am
Can Opener wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:35 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:20 am Prepare to be disappointed, Dad. She isn’t going to make the final team. What did Spallina say at the tryouts?
Just googled "Joe Spallina Charlotte North" and nothing popped up. Has he made comments about who has done well?
He said we are looking for assisted goals. And, nope, I didn’t whisper in his ear.

It’s on the video they put out.
It doesn’t matter there’s no way they aren’t taking her .
We’ll see. You can say there’s no way they aren’t taking her. I can say there’s no way they are. We don’t make the decision.

She is only a scorer. This team does not need more scorers.
It is essential that the attackers be excellent feeders and fierce redefenders. That’s why Treanor, Apuzzo, and Tumolo will make the team. North is lacking in those areas.

Ohlmiller gets on because of Joe.

So assuming they take five attackers, who gets the last slot? I say Scane. While granted she is not a top-notch feeder, she is a better redefender than North and an equally good scorer. What tips it for me is her physicality. The international game is a lot more physical than college. I would like to have a Scane-type player on the field in the event the team needs a tough, physical goal.
Are there any goals in this sequence that you would consider "physical?"
https://twitter.com/BCEagles/status/139 ... 03872?s=20
In your post you say that "This team does not need more scorers," but you then say that a big advantage for Scane is having her "when the team needs a tough, physical goal." Which is it? Do they need scorers or not need scorers? I will once again ask you to provide similar proof of Scane's ability to score physical goals, but you may be too busy searching for that elusive second TO in the Carolina game.

Because I am feeling generous, I will give you a chance to retract this statement without having me pile on: "She is only a scorer." Hint: Do 174 DCs and a 60%+ team DC winning percentage ring a bell?

Is there anything positive that you can say about this young woman? You are in a tiny minority of women's lacrosse followers who can only hate on CN. I understand you don't like me very much, but it is hard to maintain any credibility when every single comment you make about the #1 college player in the nation is negative.
DC stats not going to factor much when you have Appuzzo Cummings and Treanor .
DCs will still matter for North. Below are the stats for each of the four players for their senior years. The numbers are very similar among North, Apuzzo and Treanor. Cummings is significantly behind, but still a force in the draw circle. Will the coaches opt for a current player who has been sharpened by tough competition for the past four months, or a wily veteran who hasn't been playing full time for the past five years? All else being equal, I would take the player with recent experience under fire, although so much will depend on the chemistry of three teammates at the circle. I think it's fair to say that North's historic DC success will help her cause for making this team over Scane. Why wouldn't you want an extra player who can add this dimension to your roster? Even if another woman takes most of the reps, I would mix in North frequently to mess up the plans and rhythms of the opposing team.

North 2021
174 DCs
8.28 DCs/game
60.1% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team won NC

Apuzzo 2019
191 DCs
7.96 DCs/game
62.6% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team lost in finals

Treanor 2016
217 DCs
9.04 DCs/game
59.7% team DC win %
Tewy finalist
Team lost in semis

Cummings 2016
144 DCs
6.26 DCs/game
58.8% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team lost in finals
You keep putting up stats. They are nice and great but IMO stats are what may get you in the door, they mean little once tryouts start. I may be alone in this thought but I think the coaches care little about what a player brings with them as far as stats go.

To me every woman on that list is good enough to play. They all have the skills. It is now about team chemistry and what players come together to make up the best team. Ms. North may be there in the end, then again she may not. If I were a coach I would rather have the player that can score 3 goals per game rather than a player who scores 6 goals per game if that first player has greater chemistry with her teammates in all facets of the game to have a goal aggregate greater than 6 (a rather obvious conclusion). This will always benefit the veterans who have already developed together.

What no one here knows is what make up of players will have the best chemistry. Ms. North had a fantastic year, developed great team chemistry on a team with her as the focus. Would that be the same with this group of players? That's for Jenny Levy and her staff to figure out. I will not be surprised if Ms. North makes the team, and I would not be surprised if she does not. There is always a player or two that cause every pundit to claim this or that or this was rigged and what not. It is not always the flashiest or most accomplished goal scorer who completes the puzzle in creating the best team with the best chemistry.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Bart wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:29 am
njbill wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:20 am Prepare to be disappointed, Dad. She isn’t going to make the final team. What did Spallina say at the tryouts?
Just googled "Joe Spallina Charlotte North" and nothing popped up. Has he made comments about who has done well?
He said we are looking for assisted goals. And, nope, I didn’t whisper in his ear.

We’ll see. You can say there’s no way they aren’t taking her. I can say there’s no way they are. We don’t make the decision.

It is essential that the attackers be excellent feeders and fierce redefenders. That’s why Treanor, Apuzzo, and Tumolo will make the team. North is lacking in those areas.

So assuming they take five attackers, who gets the last slot? I say Scane. While granted she is not a top-notch feeder, she is a better redefender than North and an equally good scorer. What tips it for me is her physicality. The international game is a lot more physical than college. I would like to have a Scane-type player on the field in the event the team needs a tough, physical goal.
In your post you say that "This team does not need more scorers," but you then say that a big advantage for Scane is having her "when the team needs a tough, physical goal." Which is it? Do they need scorers or not need scorers? I will once again ask you to provide similar proof of Scane's ability to score physical goals, but you may be too busy searching for that elusive second TO in the Carolina game.

Because I am feeling generous, I will give you a chance to retract this statement without having me pile on: "She is only a scorer." Hint: Do 174 DCs and a 60%+ team DC winning percentage ring a bell?

Is there anything positive that you can say about this young woman? You are in a tiny minority of women's lacrosse followers who can only hate on CN. I understand you don't like me very much, but it is hard to maintain any credibility when every single comment you make about the #1 college player in the nation is negative.
DCs will still matter for North. Below are the stats for each of the four players for their senior years. The numbers are very similar among North, Apuzzo and Treanor. Cummings is significantly behind, but still a force in the draw circle. Will the coaches opt for a current player who has been sharpened by tough competition for the past four months, or a wily veteran who hasn't been playing full time for the past five years? All else being equal, I would take the player with recent experience under fire, although so much will depend on the chemistry of three teammates at the circle. I think it's fair to say that North's historic DC success will help her cause for making this team over Scane. Why wouldn't you want an extra player who can add this dimension to your roster? Even if another woman takes most of the reps, I would mix in North frequently to mess up the plans and rhythms of the opposing team.

North 2021
174 DCs
8.28 DCs/game
60.1% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team won NC

Apuzzo 2019
191 DCs
7.96 DCs/game
62.6% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team lost in finals

Treanor 2016
217 DCs
9.04 DCs/game
59.7% team DC win %
Tewy finalist
Team lost in semis

Cummings 2016
144 DCs
6.26 DCs/game
58.8% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team lost in finals
You keep putting up stats. They are nice and great but IMO stats are what may get you in the door, they mean little once tryouts start. I may be alone in this thought but I think the coaches care little about what a player brings with them as far as stats go.

To me every woman on that list is good enough to play. They all have the skills. It is now about team chemistry and what players come together to make up the best team. Ms. North may be there in the end, then again she may not. If I were a coach I would rather have the player that can score 3 goals per game rather than a player who scores 6 goals per game if that first player has greater chemistry with her teammates in all facets of the game to have a goal aggregate greater than 6 (a rather obvious conclusion). This will always benefit the veterans who have already developed together.

What no one here knows is what make up of players will have the best chemistry. Ms. North had a fantastic year, developed great team chemistry on a team with her as the focus. Would that be the same with this group of players? That's for Jenny Levy and her staff to figure out. I will not be surprised if Ms. North makes the team, and I would not be surprised if she does not. There is always a player or two that cause every pundit to claim this or that or this was rigged and what not. It is not always the flashiest or most accomplished goal scorer who completes the puzzle in creating the best team with the best chemistry.
I agree with you. My point on the stats is just that North belongs in the conversation about who should take the draws. One factor to keep in mind on chemistry is that North, Apuzzo and Treanor just completed an epic journey together and have spent much more time with each other over the past two years than almost any other combination of veterans and current college players.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:45 am

North 2021
174 DCs
8.28 DCs/game
60.1% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team won NC

Apuzzo 2019
191 DCs
7.96 DCs/game
62.6% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team lost in finals

Treanor 2016
217 DCs
9.04 DCs/game
59.7% team DC win %
Tewy finalist
Team lost in semis

Cummings 2016
144 DCs
6.26 DCs/game
58.8% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team lost in finals

I agree with you. My point on the stats is just that North belongs in the conversation about who should take the draws. One factor to keep in mind on chemistry is that North, Apuzzo and Treanor just completed an epic journey together and have spent much more time with each other over the past two years than almost any other combination of veterans and current college players.
Coach-player is much different than player-player. Even if the three of them practiced together to a huge extent (which I doubt) it pales to actually playing in games together. Big difference between having a person explain what to do and knowing what a player is going to do with a quick glance of the eyes, a nod or a subtle lean. That can only happen when playing together, that is the true chemistry.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can, if you are going to reference McCool’s high school record, please do it accurately. Her team had four state championships plus three TOC titles as well as being a TOC finalist one year.

Oh, and by the way, if you are going to talk about the draw, you might want to include McCool in the conversation.
njbill

Post by njbill »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 am

I'll name a few...Candy Finn, Margie Anderson, Gail Cummings, Katrina Dowd(a lot of people seem to forget how special she was), Nicole Flego, Nora Maguire, Kylie Ohlmiller(I think she's still around), Michele Tumolo(any idea where she is these days :roll: ), Selena Lasota

Larry, I, for one, appreciate the history lesson, but you are wasting your time on this can opener. He thinks Charlotte North is the best player of all time, and no one can tell him otherwise. :roll:

And for goodness sake, he had never heard of Megan Whittle.
Cletus

Another one for Char-Char

Post by Cletus »

https://twitter.com/bcwlax/status/14055 ... 88257?s=21

And the awards just keep on coming for Charlotte North in 2021. Can a spot on Team USA be far behind?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

njbill wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:24 amLarry, I, for one, appreciate the history lesson, but you are wasting your time on this can opener. He thinks Charlotte North is the best player of all time, and no one can tell him otherwise. :roll:

Tweeeeeet! njbill, 1 Minute (2 Day) Penalty. Your penalty will be up on Saturday, June 19th, at 11:34 AM EST. Discuss posts, ideas, opinions, etc., not post-ers. And, for sure, do not attack post-ers. (As a semi-aside, LarryGam, I do not believe that Can Opener is disrespecting you. And it's appreciated that you're asking him if he is as opposed to attacking him. And...) Tweeeet! Play on...
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:24 am And for goodness sake, he had never heard of Megan Whittle.
Maybe he has an aversion to floppers 😉
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

North 2021
174 DCs
8.28 DCs/game
60.1% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team won NC

Apuzzo 2019
191 DCs
7.96 DCs/game
62.6% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team lost in finals

Treanor 2016
217 DCs
9.04 DCs/game
59.7% team DC win %
Tewy finalist
Team lost in semis

Cummings 2016
144 DCs
6.26 DCs/game
58.8% team DC win %
Tewy winner
Team lost in finals

+1, well said
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

admin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:38 am
njbill wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:24 amLarry, I, for one, appreciate the history lesson, but you are wasting your time on this can opener. He thinks Charlotte North is the best player of all time, and no one can tell him otherwise. :roll:

Tweeeeeet! njbill, 1 Minute (2 Day) Penalty. Your penalty will be up on Saturday, June 19th, at 11:34 AM EST. Discuss posts, ideas, opinions, etc., not post-ers. And, for sure, do not attack post-ers. (As a semi-aside, LarryGam, I do not believe that Can Opener is disrespecting you. And it's appreciated that you're asking him if he is as opposed to attacking him. And...) Tweeeet! Play on...
This warranted a penalty? Really? Bad call by admin, in my view. You all let the debate go this way. Hard to make the case that this one should be penalized when we decided to allow middle school stuff.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 am

This warranted a penalty? Really? Bad call by admin, in my view. You all let the debate go this way. Hard to make the case that this one should be penalized when we decided to allow middle school stuff.
I think you’re doing a great job, admin. You’ve made the boundaries very clear and you enforce them fairly. Thanks to you, this is becoming a kinder, gentler forum.

Plus, (and not that he needs me to defend him) admin issued a warning earlier in the thread.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Has anyone ever seen the Admin and Cletus in the same room at the same time ;) ;)
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:50 am Has anyone ever seen the Admin and Cletus in the same room at the same time ;) ;)
Haha—admin’s a lot more fair and lenient than I would be. They would refer to me as The Hammer if I sat in that place.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

In any event, I wonder when the final cut is made for the players who will represent the grand old flag. Anyone have any idea?
DMac

Post by DMac »

+1
Very bad call.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:03 am
8meterPA wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:50 am Has anyone ever seen the Admin and Cletus in the same room at the same time ;) ;)
Haha—admin’s a lot more fair and lenient than I would be. They would refer to me as The Hammer if I sat in that place.
So you'd be The Hammer and everyone would be your nail.
Since you're not it certainly appears as if you're using Admin
as your hammer. You do like things your way, don't you?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Is there a Christian Laetner-Dream Team aspect to the team where coaches are compelled to include at least a couple college players and/or very recent graduates?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”