Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 51percentcorn »

Not trying to argue the cupboard is bare - just pointing out that dripping with talent kind of helps - it used to work for Hopkins back in the day.

Epstein is certainly the elephant in the room that we all want to tiptoe around. The questions and the stats are conspicuous.
- 2019 - as pointed out - 73 points as a freshman - had the keys to the car from X - 4.5 points per game
- 2020 - significant injury - some apparently believe he has not quite recovered
- 2021 - new staff - production drops to just north of 2.5 points per game - before the BIG title game he scored 4 goals in his last 5 games after the not starting kerfluffle - played a wing type role versus always having the ball at X - whether it's pure trolling or based in some rational intelligence - certainly has been speculation about his future plans

I would think back in 2019 most Hopkins fans might have put in a chip on the square that said he would break Cookie Monster's single season point record over the next 3 years. I think if Hopkins is going to be a "playa" on the national stage in the next two years he needs to be on the team and closer to that total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:57 pm whether it's pure trolling or based in some rational intelligence - certainly has been speculation about his future plans
It was trolling. Joey is not going anywhere.

He looked a little closer to his 2019 form in that finale against Maryland. Looked more explosive than he had pretty much all season to my eye. I think he can settle in somewhere in between the world-beater we saw in 2019 and the version from last year and parts of this year.

If not next season, then in 2023, he will still have eligiblity and DeSo will be gone—keys to the kingdom behind the cage can be his if he wants them.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:05 pm He just went 4 and 2 against the BIG 10 Defensive player of the year. He scored 14 goals and had 10 assists in the tournament - 6 points a game. Should he have done more? Those questions around Petro and Greenberg are absurd - Petro last played 32 years ago - Greenberg 41. There are films of McEneaney running by Greenberg in 77 like his feet were nailed to the floor - the problem with Shellenberger - as with most great attackmen - is that if you are athletic enough to stop him from dodging on you - he will still kill you with his assists. He's a generational talent. To have him and Moore on the field at the same time should not be allowed.
In 77, Greenberg was a freshman. McEneaney was so quick he could turn off the light switch and be out of the room before it went dark.
In 79, Greens was totally dominant. I actually saw him up at Homewood a few years back and he looked like he was in terrific shape. I think he could still play if he wanted to. He would have taken Shellenberger's lunch money. Probably still could.
I think Shelly could be stopped by an tall athletic rangy defenseman who could match him size-wise. We shall see over the next three years.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Compliance is on the person who is responsible for compliance. It is not the responsibility of Jen or Petro for this. It is the responsibility of her predecessor and the person who had the responsibility for it.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

It seems odd to me that the only two division 1 programs in the department were found to have NCAA compliance issues, the women’s program received a great penalty, and somehow this lands in Petro’s lap?

The fact that both programs had an issue leads me to believe a ball was dropped somewhere by someone in charge of compliance. Otherwise, are we to believe that Petro and Tucker colluded to willfully break NCAA rules on the exact same issue? Doesn’t make sense to me.

On a ten scale of 1 being Mother Teresa and 10 being Kelvin Sampson at Indiana, this is a 2 at worst. This will not impact his employment prospects.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:08 am Compliance is on the person who is responsible for compliance. It is not the responsibility of Jen or Petro for this. It is the responsibility of her predecessor and the person who had the responsibility for it.
I doubt Coach Pietramala would shake off his share of the responsibility for the penalty and probation. He shared responsibility for keeping the program compliant with NCAA rules. He knows it, and I’m sure he’s not going around saying, “It wasn’t my fault.”

About THAT I am absolutely certain.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You shouldn’t be certain about matters you basically know nothing about.

I enjoy reading people talk about what Petro knows or doesn’t know or what he does or doesn’t do. Mostly pure crap
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Their staff directory lists ONE person related to compliance...and that person is also the Associate AD for Game Operations. Again, most Division 1 institutions have full compliance offices with multiple people working in them. I am willing to bet this was "institutional failure"; where you have a coach that was fuzzy on dates and deadlines and a compliance guy that also lines the fields (not literally, just making a point) and oversees student workers, staff game coverage assignments, etc. This is a Division 3 department that has two division 1 programs within it. You would be SHOCKED at the way some of these departments at that level are run...the wild west.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jesus, who cares. Whoever was responsible, it was a minor paperwork infraction that was appropriately met with a minor penalty. Time to move on.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:48 am He would have taken Shellenberger's lunch money. Probably still could.
I used to play hoops with Greens back in the day - he was an unbelievable player - an all time great - but once again you show you have no clue what you are talking about. Over 40 years ago. You probably think Babe Ruth would hit 714 home runs today. Hope you see the irony in thinking all of a sudden height and reach matter.

Once again - I'm in agreement with '16 - hopefully Pete/Janine/Jen/whomever have July 1st circled on their calendars - other than that - who cares?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:49 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:48 am He would have taken Shellenberger's lunch money. Probably still could.
I used to play hoops with Greens back in the day - he was an unbelievable player - an all time great - but once again you show you have no clue what you are talking about. Over 40 years ago. You probably think Babe Ruth would hit 714 home runs today. Hope you see the irony in thinking all of a sudden height and reach matter.

Once again - I'm in agreement with '16 - hopefully Pete/Janine/Jen/whomever have July 1st circled on their calendars - other than that - who cares?
Age is just a number.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:49 pm

If the Babe were gobbling steroids instead of hot dogs and beer, he might just hit 714 today.
OK, maybe not 714, but I would argue not so much that today's hitters are so much better, but because a starting pitcher looks for seven quality innings, not a complete game.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:55 am It seems odd to me that the only two division 1 programs in the department were found to have NCAA compliance issues, the women’s program received a great penalty, and somehow this lands in Petro’s lap?

The fact that both programs had an issue leads me to believe a ball was dropped somewhere by someone in charge of compliance. Otherwise, are we to believe that Petro and Tucker colluded to willfully break NCAA rules on the exact same issue? Doesn’t make sense to me.

On a ten scale of 1 being Mother Teresa and 10 being Kelvin Sampson at Indiana, this is a 2 at worst. This will not impact his employment prospects.
I couldn’t believe Kelvin Sampson was coaching in the final four this year!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:48 am
51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:05 pm He just went 4 and 2 against the BIG 10 Defensive player of the year. He scored 14 goals and had 10 assists in the tournament - 6 points a game. Should he have done more? Those questions around Petro and Greenberg are absurd - Petro last played 32 years ago - Greenberg 41. There are films of McEneaney running by Greenberg in 77 like his feet were nailed to the floor - the problem with Shellenberger - as with most great attackmen - is that if you are athletic enough to stop him from dodging on you - he will still kill you with his assists. He's a generational talent. To have him and Moore on the field at the same time should not be allowed.
In 77, Greenberg was a freshman. McEneaney was so quick he could turn off the light switch and be out of the room before it went dark.
In 79, Greens was totally dominant. I actually saw him up at Homewood a few years back and he looked like he was in terrific shape. I think he could still play if he wanted to. He would have taken Shellenberger's lunch money. Probably still could.
I think Shelly could be stopped by an tall athletic rangy defenseman who could match him size-wise. We shall see over the next three years.
McEneaney made everyone...everyone, look human. Love the way you said it! As good as Greenberg became, I think McEneaney would have still flourished.

But of course defenses will scheme to slow down Shellenberger, just as defenses tried desperately to slow down Bernhardt....or Spencer or Thompson. It's a matter of containment not domination, unless a player is off his game for a reason like injury or illness.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:55 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:55 am It seems odd to me that the only two division 1 programs in the department were found to have NCAA compliance issues, the women’s program received a great penalty, and somehow this lands in Petro’s lap?

Dude was buying a new burner phone weekly and tossing the old one in a dumpster off campus. I happened to work with someone who was in the compliance department at IU during that debacle; needless to say they didn't care for his shenanigans. If he can come back, anyone can!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:12 pm Jesus, who cares. Whoever was responsible, it was a minor paperwork infraction that was appropriately met with a minor penalty. Time to move on.
Agreed. I was making this point because folks were acting like Petro wasn't going to get his next job because of this. No future AD will care. I promise. And as it relates to the current Hopkins program, this is very low impact. I doubt Peter has given it much thought.
Typical Lax Dad

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:13 pm

Dude was buying a new burner phone weekly and tossing the old one in a dumpster off campus. I happened to work with someone who was in the compliance department at IU during that debacle; needless to say they didn't care for his shenanigans. If he can come back, anyone can!
Yep. I was shocked. Rick is back coaching also....
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:32 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Piti ... and_ouster ?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:32 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Piti ... and_ouster ?
https://www.cnn.com/2015/10/21/us/louis ... index.html

A friend’s dad is a big booster for the men’s team. Louisville fans ask for “Rick’s table” at the restaurant where he had sex with the woman on the table.....
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:12 pm Jesus, who cares. Whoever was responsible, it was a minor paperwork infraction that was appropriately met with a minor penalty. Time to move on.
Agreed. I was making this point because folks were acting like Petro wasn't going to get his next job because of this. No future AD will care. I promise. And as it relates to the current Hopkins program, this is very low impact. I doubt Peter has given it much thought.
It wasn’t “folks” in the plural. It was only ONE person, who made a highly bloviated and highly typical case (for him) that this was on Petro and it could/would kill his job prospects and affect the minds of ADs. Utter but typical nonsense.

I take great offense at that Nifongesque behavior. People who operate within the realm of law, like Nifong, should know better and deal with facts, and not overblown, possibly career-damaging speculation.

BTW, in the off-season, I am setting up a private Hopkins board so those who wish can get away from this moronic environment.

FACT: Certain people will be absent.

W

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”