D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Wheels »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 am stat line of the attack

Epstein 3g 0a 3 turnovers
Williams 0g 1a 2 turnovers
DeSimone 0g 0a 2 turnovers

7 turnovers out of your veteran starting attack unit while producing 4 points is the ball game right there.
DeSimone didn't even take a shot.

Hop's D also did something that no other team has been able to do to Maryland. Coming into the game, Maryland put something like 64% of their shots on goal. Last night? Only 15 of 33 (45%). That, to me, is an amazing stat for the Blue Jays. Going into the game, I thought Marcille would have to stand on his head in order for Hop to win. He did the exact opposite. The defense in front of him played a helluva game.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:39 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:50 am Why will Milliman have a lot more flexibility with the bonus year vs. all the other teams?
The way scholarships work favors universities that can award academic or need-based aid students first before using athletic scholarships (non-revenue sports only...basketball and football are full scholarships). Programs that can't afford to fundraise merit or need-based scholarships will have to stick to the 12.6 maximum athletic scholarships. Milliman will likely have more ability to save his 12.6 athletic scholarships on incoming or regular 4-year players. He'll probably be able to have many bonus year players qualify for Hop's merit and need-based scholarships (hence Bloomberg's Billions...his goal is to make Hop tuition free, if I'm not mistaken). Basically, it's what the Ivies do because "technically," they don't offer any athletic scholarships. All Ivy players receive merit or need-based scholarships. Yet the Ivies won't allow players to play beyond 4 years, so they can't do what I think Milliman will be able to do.

I can't imagine he's going to carry 56 players in the coming years. I can imagine he will want some of the current players to use their bonus year. I think it means he will be able really concentrate talent through the 2023 season. I bet he will.
It will be inetersting to see how much attrition there will be out of the Ivies this year. Not only the 4+ year guys, but all the other players who were screwed by the Ivy League leaving their cancellation decision so late that they had no options.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:48 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:50 am Why will Milliman have a lot more flexibility with the bonus year vs. all the other teams?
The way scholarships work favors universities that can award academic or need-based aid students first before using athletic scholarships (non-revenue sports only...basketball and football are full scholarships). Programs that can't afford to fundraise merit or need-based scholarships will have to stick to the 12.6 maximum athletic scholarships. Milliman will likely have more ability to save his 12.6 athletic scholarships on incoming or regular 4-year players. He'll probably be able to have many bonus year players qualify for Hop's merit and need-based scholarships (hence Bloomberg's Billions...his goal is to make Hop tuition free, if I'm not mistaken). Basically, it's what the Ivies do because "technically," they don't offer any athletic scholarships. All Ivy players receive merit or need-based scholarships. Yet the Ivies won't allow players to play beyond 4 years, so they can't do what I think Milliman will be able to do.

I can't imagine he's going to carry 56 players in the coming years. I can imagine he will want some of the current players to use their bonus year. I think it means he will be able really concentrate talent through the 2023 season. I bet he will.
It will be inetersting to see how much attrition there will be out of the Ivies this year. Not only the 4+ year guys, but all the other players who were screwed by the Ivy League leaving their cancellation decision so late that they had no options.
My guess is a lot of kids will be hitting the exits from the Ivy League. Not sure how they will field teams next year. I heard all the Yale starters are leaving.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am When we went up 9-6 or so I was about ready to post "we're making the vaunted Maryland SSDM group look like Hopkins shorties circa 2017" but thought better of it as I figured that was likely to change in the second half, and it did. Tillman didn't make some genius-level adjustment (though he did put a better defender on Epstein, which helped them). We just stopped winning those matchups. Angelus, Peshko, Grimes, Baskin, Williams, Epstein, Degnon—guys that had all at one point or another in the first half gotten a step on their man couldn't replicate that in the second half and I think a lot of that was due to them running on fumes.
The Terps have missed Jake Higgins for the past 3 weeks. He's out with an unspecified leg injury (but the crutches on brace on his leg suggests it's probably a bad injury). He and Puglise have been the best SSDM unit in B1G with Smith and Coffman being a really good second group. They ran Chase Cope at SSDM a few time and had Bubba stay in to play D, too.

The Epstein match-up was key. He ate Rahill up in the first half. In the second half, Epstein saw both Grill and Makar on a lot of possessions. Rahill did better on DeSimone, who was completely absent. If you had told be before the game that Makar would switch off of DeSimone, I wouldn't have believed you.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:56 am

My guess is a lot of kids will be hitting the exits from the Ivy League. Not sure how they will field teams next year. I heard all the Yale starters are leaving.
That sounds to me like your source was exaggerating to make a point. I would not be surprised if a couple do, and if those couple were real difference-makers. But all? The Ivies pretty much all followed the same protocol. AFAIK, Dartmouth and UPenn each played one game against a D-III school, and only Brown played a single D-I game. So why transfer to another Ivy? If they were starters, would they really consider a NESCAC team? With all due respect to JHU and Duke, they are fine institutions, but they are not Yale. Maybe a devout Catholic might find Georgetown, Loyola, or ND comfortable if disillusioned with Yale. Maybe one or two homesick folks would seek UMD, UVA, or Rutgers. Maybe a specific major might be attractive at another destination. But all the starters?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:59 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am When we went up 9-6 or so I was about ready to post "we're making the vaunted Maryland SSDM group look like Hopkins shorties circa 2017" but thought better of it as I figured that was likely to change in the second half, and it did. Tillman didn't make some genius-level adjustment (though he did put a better defender on Epstein, which helped them). We just stopped winning those matchups. Angelus, Peshko, Grimes, Baskin, Williams, Epstein, Degnon—guys that had all at one point or another in the first half gotten a step on their man couldn't replicate that in the second half and I think a lot of that was due to them running on fumes.
The Epstein match-up was key. He ate Rahill up in the first half. In the second half, Epstein saw both Grill and Makar on a lot of possessions. Rahill did better on DeSimone, who was completely absent. If you had told be before the game that Makar would switch off of DeSimone, I wouldn't have believed you.
Epstein looked like he was moving really well in the first half last night. He was showing a lot of his quick change of direction moves he had as a freshman. He appears fully recovered from his injury last year. Bodes well for the future.
Typical Lax Dad

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:16 pm

That sounds to me like your source was exaggerating to make a point. I would not be surprised if a couple do, and if those couple were real difference-makers. But all? The Ivies pretty much all followed the same protocol. AFAIK, Dartmouth and UPenn each played one game against a D-III school, and only Brown played a single D-I game. So why transfer to another Ivy? If they were starters, would they really consider a NESCAC team? With all due respect to JHU and Duke, they are fine institutions, but they are not Yale. Maybe a devout Catholic might find Georgetown, Loyola, or ND comfortable if disillusioned with Yale. Maybe one or two homesick folks would seek UMD, UVA, or Rutgers. Maybe a specific major might be attractive at another destination. But all the starters?
I was making fun of the wild speculation. I also read this morning that all the Ivy League players are on need based aid or merit scholarships. Kids have transferred from Ivy schools off and on for years for a variety of reasons. Don’t expect that to change.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:43 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:16 pm

I was making fun of the wild speculation. I also read this morning that all the Ivy League players are on need based aid or merit scholarships. Kids have transferred from Ivy schools off and on for years for a variety of reasons. Don’t expect that to change.
By definition, the Ivy League cannot offer merit scholarships. HYP has the most generous need-based aid in the land, which has been matched only by Stanford. So, Yale need-based aid easily beats Duke's need-based aid, for example. Yes, Duke does also offer merit aid, but again, the Ivy League does not. (Footnote, Cornell used to offer a wink-wink merit scholarship which they claim did not count for purposes of Ivy membership, so maybe it was offered thru its Contract Colleges?)

With Bloomberg's funding, Hopkins has moved its need-based aid into that generous HYP class. The other Ivies, while still generous in comparison to many other private colleges, are a level $$ down from HYP.

That said, how many LAX players at this level actually qualify for need-based aid?
Last edited by Big Dog on Sun May 09, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

He's kidding...totally...except the very last bit...kids do transfer out for all sorts of reasons, just as they do from other schools.

BTW, that 'level down' at other Ivies is darn close to HYP, particularly Dartmouth and Columbia which are close to identical to HYP. For instance families with less than $100,000 income and typical assets pay zero at Dartmouth, whereas at Harvard families less than $75k pay zero, and 0-10% for families $75k to $150k.

The majority of families at these schools receive at least some aid.

https://www.univstats.com/comparison/iv ... ncial-aid/

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-ivy ... iversity-9
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun May 09, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:00 pm That said, how many LAX players at this level actually qualify for need-based aid?
You might be surprised. Even families that are conventionally well-off often qualify for something. This was over a decade ago now but my family had a similar financial profile to that of current lacrosse players and I qualified for some aid. Not a lot, but it helped.

Hop is in a fairly unique position in that it can offer HYP-esque levels of aid in addition to the usual 12.6 scholarships.

The combination of that, an exciting coaching staff, the school's academic reputation, the alumni network, its location in a hotbed for lacrosse, and its one-of-a-kind devotion to the sport, will be enough to stay competitive in the recruiting landscape. Good players will come to Homewood and they'll be able to pay for it. We've got to do a better job developing those players in the next 5 years than we did in the previous 5. The last few games point to a future where that can happen.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:14 pm
Big Dog wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:00 pm That said, how many LAX players at this level actually qualify for need-based aid?
You might be surprised. Even families that are conventionally well-off often qualify for something. This was over a decade ago now but my family had a similar financial profile to that of current lacrosse players and I qualified for some aid. Not a lot, but it helped.

Hop is in a fairly unique position in that it can offer HYP-esque levels of aid in addition to the usual 12.6 scholarships.

The combination of that, an exciting coaching staff, the school's academic reputation, the alumni network, its location in a hotbed for lacrosse, and its one-of-a-kind devotion to the sport, will be enough to stay competitive in the recruiting landscape. Good players will come to Homewood and they'll be able to pay for it. We've got to do a better job developing those players in the next 5 years than we did in the previous 5. The last few games point to a future where that can happen.
That's the way I read the situation as well...very few have both the 12.6 AND the need based aid for others.

That said, there's going to be pressure to up the academic profile of any of the need-based aid recipients there with a lax admissions slot. Akin to Ivy pressure, so nothing beyond manageable.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

Extremely proud of that entire group for the effort that they put in over the last few weeks. They had been heavy scrutinized (rightfully so at times), but they weathered the storm and put together a promising end of season run. Obviously not satisfied with that season by any means, but I applaud the effort and improvement that I saw recently. No shame in losing to that Maryland team, they went punch for punch with them twice this season but just couldn’t hold on long enough. Hoping their heads are held high.

#WeWantMore
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

HappyHourLax wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:40 pm Extremely proud of that entire group for the effort that they put in over the last few weeks. They had been heavily scrutinized (rightfully so at times), but they weathered the storm and put together a promising end of season run. Obviously not satisfied with that season by any means, but I applaud the effort and improvement that I saw recently. No shame in losing to that Maryland team, they went punch for punch with them twice this season but just couldn’t hold on long enough. Hoping their heads are held high.

#WeWantMore
Typical Lax Dad

Better if a second sibling is in college. Otherwise it might be $0. Harvard has built its basketball program selling kids on financial aid and a cost - benefit analysis.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Plus the vast majority of the kids not in the MIAA...upstate NY and LI have tons of need based candidates.

It’s free under a buck fifty at most of the ivies now I believe which is good that they finally bent to pressure for having $15-$40Bn endowments.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:06 pm

Plus the vast majority of the kids not in the MIAA...upstate NY and LI have tons of need based candidates.

It’s free under a buck fifty at most of the ivies now I believe which is good that they finally bent to pressure for having $15-$40Bn endowments.
A current parent might know better, but AIUI, an important caveat is not to have too much savings. So, it is actually a two-pronged test. Income and Assets.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Correct and I think it hurts LI kids a lot more than CNY/WNY in asset side.

Although I’d rather have savings and figure out some overpriced generic undergrad education than the alternative. If a college admissions professional ever advised to reduce savings to get more subsidized assistance form a college they should be fired and never work in that profession again.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
tech37

Post by tech37 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:47 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 am
tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:49 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 am
tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm
3. Not a big fan of the refs tonight. Really seemed like every borderline call went against the Jays (the call on the Degnon goal excepted). You could hear it in Dixon's call too (on the McManus slash, the Makar/DeSo push/crosscheck no call and the Makar laying on/holding the ball call in particular).
I have to agree with this. I thought the officiating was very one-sided. Especially those bogus EMO's for Maryland at the end. You gotta let teams play in the fourth quarter, not micromanage the game like it's HS girl's lacrosse. Reminded me of the totally bogus endline call in the last MD game where Marcille was CLEARLY closer to the ball going out than the UMD player. The Z film analysis on that one says it wasn't even close. Conspiracy theory? Hmmm.....

D looked great all game. IF the Jays could have done much of anything on offense in the second half they would have won that game anyway despite the refs. Jays went toe-to-toe with the best team in the country last night after a very long chaotic year. The team showed a ton of heart last night. I didn't think there was much hope for the future three weeks ago but now I definitely do.
IMO, the officiating was fine... with the possible exception of the first half goal where Hop player wound up in goal mouth. Thought flag should have been thrown and push called on Terps.
And wave off the goal?
Sorry. Yes 44, isn't that the rule, incidental contact or not?
I mean, I think(?) that's the rule, but every instance this year was like it's own unique interpretation. Dixon was perplexed and he's right. It happened over and over again this year. The rule needs to be changed. Simplest thing is to bring back the dive. No idea why it was changed in the first place.
I think the Rules Committee was trying to balance the excitement of the dive against the possibility of goalie injury.
Believe you're correct 44, and the goal mouth rule was, I think, to take any ref subjectivity out of the Committee's effort to protect goalies. You can't land in goal mouth for any reason...so I thought. But there you go, last night the refs decided to overrule in that one instance. Totally subjective.

I only raised this since we're about to begin playoffs and the refs need to be consistent, objective, and follow the rule. I expect over the next couple weeks there will be a lot of bodies flying across/through creases and I'd hate to see any tight games, which we're sure to see, decided due to ref subjectivity in this, I think, clearly stipulated rule?
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:59 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:47 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 am
tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:49 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 am
tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm
3. Not a big fan of the refs tonight. Really seemed like every borderline call went against the Jays (the call on the Degnon goal excepted). You could hear it in Dixon's call too (on the McManus slash, the Makar/DeSo push/crosscheck no call and the Makar laying on/holding the ball call in particular).
I have to agree with this. I thought the officiating was very one-sided. Especially those bogus EMO's for Maryland at the end. You gotta let teams play in the fourth quarter, not micromanage the game like it's HS girl's lacrosse. Reminded me of the totally bogus endline call in the last MD game where Marcille was CLEARLY closer to the ball going out than the UMD player. The Z film analysis on that one says it wasn't even close. Conspiracy theory? Hmmm.....

D looked great all game. IF the Jays could have done much of anything on offense in the second half they would have won that game anyway despite the refs. Jays went toe-to-toe with the best team in the country last night after a very long chaotic year. The team showed a ton of heart last night. I didn't think there was much hope for the future three weeks ago but now I definitely do.
IMO, the officiating was fine... with the possible exception of the first half goal where Hop player wound up in goal mouth. Thought flag should have been thrown and push called on Terps.
And wave off the goal?
Sorry. Yes 44, isn't that the rule, incidental contact or not?
I mean, I think(?) that's the rule, but every instance this year was like it's own unique interpretation. Dixon was perplexed and he's right. It happened over and over again this year. The rule needs to be changed. Simplest thing is to bring back the dive. No idea why it was changed in the first place.
I think the Rules Committee was trying to balance the excitement of the dive against the possibility of goalie injury.
Believe you're correct 44, and the goal mouth rule was, I think, to take any ref subjectivity out of the Committee's effort to protect goalies. You can't land in goal mouth for any reason...so I thought. But there you go, last night the refs decided to overrule in that one instance. Totally subjective.

I only raised this since we're about to begin playoffs and the refs need to be consistent, objective, and follow the rule. I expect over the next couple weeks there will be a lot of bodies flying across/through creases and I'd hate to see any tight games, which we're sure to see, decided due to ref subjectivity in this, I think, clearly stipulated rule?
If a player is pushed in the back after the goal is scored and he falls in the crease does the rule call for the goal being called off? I saw a kid score a couple of weeks ago and the push was very late. As the player was making sure he did not step in the crease and he was shoved in the back and toppled over. The goal counted and no push was called. I know you can’t launch yourself or fall in the goal mouth during the play, even when pushed, but when a guy scores and is then shoved, is a gray area. I can see letting that go.

Rule: d. If an offensive player, in possession of the ball and outside the crease area, dives or jumps in a direction that is not away from the goal mouth and lands in the goal mouth crease, the goal shall be disallowed. In addition, the player shall be penalized with a 1-minute foul should the offensive player initiate contact with the goalkeeper within the goal mouth. Landing in the goal mouth without contact with the goalkeeper shall result in a loss of possession. In addition, the player shall be penalized with a minimum of a 1-minute foul. The penalty may be releasable or non-releasable based on the severity of the contact. at the discretion of the referee. Contact is not required for a foul to be called under this rule. Defensive contact legal or illegal may have an effect
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i've been in contact with several high level refs on this call this year.
my take -- if it looks like to them the guy was going to launch on his own, however he gets in there the goal will be waived. if it looks like to them he was avoiding launching (leaving feet), penalty or not it won't be.

they hate the rule. and also understandably believe it's the most difficult to adjudicate.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”