ODAC lax season is on

D3 Mens Lacrosse
rasheed

Re: ODAC lax season is on

Post by rasheed »

Amazing comeback by Lynchburg - heart goes out to HSC who dominated for the majority of the game. What an electric environment. I always loved seeing games there. Stunning to think that W&L - who lost to both Sydney and Lynchburg, will likely be the number one seed. Talk about not earning your stripes! Just puts a spotlight on the flawed process in the age of covid.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Very exciting game, I think HSC would have won if they could have cleared more efficiently. My pregame guess was 16-8 LYN, I won’t be making the mistake of underrating the tigers again (this year). I saw Brummett down and hurt at the end of the game. Hoping it wasn’t anything too bad and he’ll be back for the rematch
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Also Roanoke beating Randolph 30-0 kinda mean. I suppose the shot clock had something to do with it, but still
dingdongdman

Post by dingdongdman »

rasheed wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:59 am Amazing comeback by Lynchburg - heart goes out to HSC who dominated for the majority of the game. What an electric environment. I always loved seeing games there. Stunning to think that W&L - who lost to both Sydney and Lynchburg, will likely be the number one seed. Talk about not earning your stripes! Just puts a spotlight on the flawed process in the age of covid.
Disagree with the above. Although W&L lost to HSC, which in my mind was a pretty bad loss, they still beat Lynchburg when it mattered. Both teams went into that game knowing it was for the ODAC playoffs and W&L won when it counted. They earned their stripes in that regards.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

dingdongdman wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:02 am
rasheed wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:59 am Amazing comeback by Lynchburg - heart goes out to HSC who dominated for the majority of the game. What an electric environment. I always loved seeing games there. Stunning to think that W&L - who lost to both Sydney and Lynchburg, will likely be the number one seed. Talk about not earning your stripes! Just puts a spotlight on the flawed process in the age of covid.
Disagree with the above. Although W&L lost to HSC, which in my mind was a pretty bad loss, they still beat Lynchburg when it mattered. Both teams went into that game knowing it was for the ODAC playoffs and W&L won when it counted. They earned their stripes in that regards.
Agree, W&L won when it mattered most, both teams knew what was at stake in their first meeting which was a conference game. Now the Generals just need another AA performance from Taylor in both the Roanoke game I suspect and Lynchburg.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Excellent game to watch and glad to have seen it on LSN.

Glad I was wrong on my prediction. :D

Hornets never short change you and it is going to take 4 full quarters to knock them off.

Big win on senior night and I can only imagine how electric the atmosphere was there live.

A shame the ODAC may only get one bid, but cant wait to see who comes out on top next Saturday.
Dehuntshigwa’es

I’m going with a rematch of HSC and Lynchburg in the ODAC. Not sure what to make of Roanoke vs Bridgewater, last game was a toss up with some wild game ending events. I’m sticking with Roanoke in the rematch. That would leave W&L/Roanoke and Lynchburg/HSC in the semi finals. Curious what you all might think and why
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 am Brummell not 100%. Credit LYN wing play and Ricci for mucking it up.
LYN missed #10 Trammel Robinson on attack. He’s a finisher. The Freshman Jake Rust didn’t factor. Gained experience and didn’t turn the ball over but allowed HSC D to stay home. Credit HSC game plan and defense who proved me an idiot for thinking they were weak..
Gallagher vs. Medwar - Gallagher is the real deal. 2 of Medwar 3 were broken plays and shut down in 2nd half. Medwar could be 1st team All ODAC IMHO since LYN #7 Kyle Lewis was held to 1 assist. Need to make the plays in big games. Medwar’s pick off ride steal and his goal was a thing of beauty.
Man-up- both teams suck.
Both goalies with game high GBs. Moore stood talk in 2nd half but agree with the very knowledgeable poster that he let in a few soft ones.. the wing dodge from left, no angle right handed bouncer thru the 6 hole especially. Good film to study..
HSC Perry played lights out. Foot saves, saw ball, no clearing mistakes and 10 GBs..Hard to withstand that 4th quarter barrage and well placed heat in the 4th.. ODAC big 4 always have great goalies !
This was a fun game played at a frantic pace. Both pressed out and created havoc. HSC won the battles in 1st half but seemed to try to protect the lead toward the end. Perhaps tired on both ends of the ball but LYN, as weary, just dug deep.
Looks like LYN is 2 seed so it does look like a rematch with HSC Thursday back on Shellenburger.. I suspect it will be another great one!
To be fair to your earlier assessment, the H-SC defensive performance thru the first three quarters was as good as I have seen in years when considering the opponent and pace, or at least since I've been associated with H-SC starting with the 2011 season. The late Ray Rostan years had some squads that could really lock you down that had some games with some really impressive goals allowed #s, but those teams tended to slow the game down a lot so there were a lot less opportunities.

They have had periods this year where they have looked less than good, especially early in the year. Though to be fair, Limon at LSM is a sophomore, multi-purpose middie Nick Thompson, and close D Nick Morgan are all sophomores, and Schlager/Perry at goalie were both pretty inexperienced from a live game action perspective. And Mike Daum, an SSDM who is also a sophomore, has missed about half the season and was having to play back into game shape when he did return, and would seem he has not returned to form given he hasn't been playing as much. So those guys all had very little seasoning heading into this year.

And weird that just earlier this week the ODAC had it listed on their website that both the semifinals and finals would be hosted by the #1, but on the ODAC Tournament field press release they state that Lynchburg is hosting their own semifinal game. If you ask me, seems like that's kind of an important detail to let go uncorrected for that long...
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Laxaholic123 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:54 am Also Roanoke beating Randolph 30-0 kinda mean. I suppose the shot clock had something to do with it, but still
Yeah they really ran up the score in the first half - fired off 50 shots in the first but only 12 in the second. Don't really get what they are gaining by having a starter or top reserve in the game to put up points late in the second quarter with a 15+ goal lead or early in the third with a 20+ goal lead unless he is on the verge of breaking some record. Get those guys off the field so they can't potentially get hurt in meaningless garbage time minutes.

I didn't watch the game (because why would I ever watch that game?), but I'd imagine in the second half they were told not to attempt to score in settled offense until late in the shot clock and then only shoot if it was a layup considering they had seven shot clock violations in the second half. Looks like only one or two of those second half goals were scored in transition, based on the timings of the plays in the play by play.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:38 am I’m going with a rematch of HSC and Lynchburg in the ODAC. Not sure what to make of Roanoke vs Bridgewater, last game was a toss up with some wild game ending events. I’m sticking with Roanoke in the rematch. That would leave W&L/Roanoke and Lynchburg/HSC in the semi finals. Curious what you all might think and why
H-SC over Randolph-Macon/Guilford is the only game in the tournament I would feel confident guaranteeing that one team will win easily, and obviously that would be H-SC winning easily.

Everything else is a legit toss up based on quality of teams, previous matchups, and each team showing inconsistency throughout the year (the top three team's A game is REALLY good), though some more than others. Really0 just depends on who is bringing their A game, and what impact injuries or COVID may have. If any of the top three don't bring their A game against each other, they'll get run off the field by one of the other top three. Don't really see Roanoke's A game being capable of beating LC, H-SC, or W&L easily.

You would like to think all these teams will, but I think most of us are more than aware that not everyone rises to the occasion in playoff time. Would not surprise me at all if Lynchburg or H-SC end up hosting the championship game.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

I agree Scott. Have to play their best A game lacrosse from here on out. LYN loss at W&L was their worst performance and I hoped they learned from it but yesterday’s 1st half was noti good. LYN was tight with many unforced errors. If HSC could have capitalized of a few more it may have been a different result.. Even HSC’s last goal by the pole was just poor decision/approaches. Hoping for the rematch and wish it would be at a neutral site..
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

thescottharris wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:08 pm
Nothinbutthelax wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 am Brummell not 100%. Credit LYN wing play and Ricci for mucking it up.
LYN missed #10 Trammel Robinson on attack. He’s a finisher. The Freshman Jake Rust didn’t factor. Gained experience and didn’t turn the ball over but allowed HSC D to stay home. Credit HSC game plan and defense who proved me an idiot for thinking they were weak..
Gallagher vs. Medwar - Gallagher is the real deal. 2 of Medwar 3 were broken plays and shut down in 2nd half. Medwar could be 1st team All ODAC IMHO since LYN #7 Kyle Lewis was held to 1 assist. Need to make the plays in big games. Medwar’s pick off ride steal and his goal was a thing of beauty.
Man-up- both teams suck.
Both goalies with game high GBs. Moore stood talk in 2nd half but agree with the very knowledgeable poster that he let in a few soft ones.. the wing dodge from left, no angle right handed bouncer thru the 6 hole especially. Good film to study..
HSC Perry played lights out. Foot saves, saw ball, no clearing mistakes and 10 GBs..Hard to withstand that 4th quarter barrage and well placed heat in the 4th.. ODAC big 4 always have great goalies !
This was a fun game played at a frantic pace. Both pressed out and created havoc. HSC won the battles in 1st half but seemed to try to protect the lead toward the end. Perhaps tired on both ends of the ball but LYN, as weary, just dug deep.
Looks like LYN is 2 seed so it does look like a rematch with HSC Thursday back on Shellenburger.. I suspect it will be another great one!
To be fair to your earlier assessment, the H-SC defensive performance thru the first three quarters was as good as I have seen in years when considering the opponent and pace, or at least since I've been associated with H-SC starting with the 2011 season. The late Ray Rostan years had some squads that could really lock you down that had some games with some really impressive goals allowed #s, but those teams tended to slow the game down a lot so there were a lot less opportunities.

They have had periods this year where they have looked less than good, especially early in the year. Though to be fair, Limon at LSM is a sophomore, multi-purpose middie Nick Thompson, and close D Nick Morgan are all sophomores, and Schlager/Perry at goalie were both pretty inexperienced from a live game action perspective. And Mike Daum, an SSDM who is also a sophomore, has missed about half the season and was having to play back into game shape when he did return, and would seem he has not returned to form given he hasn't been playing as much. So those guys all had very little seasoning heading into this year.

And weird that just earlier this week the ODAC had it listed on their website that both the semifinals and finals would be hosted by the #1, but on the ODAC Tournament field press release they state that Lynchburg is hosting their own semifinal game. If you ask me, seems like that's kind of an important detail to let go uncorrected for that long...
The broadcast said their freshman SSDM 27 Duffy scored the first goal of his career too so add that to the list as well...(hasn't he been starting??)
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

camskidamski wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:53 pm
thescottharris wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:08 pm
Man-up- both teams suck.

The broadcast said their freshman SSDM 27 Duffy scored the first goal of his career too so add that to the list as well...(hasn't he been starting??)
Tis true, I forgot about him actually, and he has played in all 13 games.

If I remember the correct player, he was recruited as an offensive middie. But there's a lot of depth at midfield and they very highly of him. They wanted to him to find a way to get him on the field, so they put him at SSDM, clearly he must be doing well at it to coninue manning the position. And they weren't exactly lackign talent at the SSDM position with juniors Presley Miller Nick Stepanian and sophomores Mike Daum and Nick Thompson all having played extensively there. As much as a sophomore can have played extensively, that is.

I suspect he'll get moved back to offensive middie next year with Doetzer, Patnesly, and French graduating. And I do believe Bobby Claggett has been getting run at middie and will likely get moved back to his natural position of attack next year with the likely losses of Medwar, Hayden, and Jake O'Brien.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Rather than go with a traditionalist view, I’m betting Bridgewater in an upset. This team is on the rise with more than twice the number of seniors as Roanoke. They have a solid goalie who’s capable of a big game and better than his last outing vs Roanoke. Solid face off unit and the team shoots pretty well. If they can keep in range in the 4th they can steal one against a traditional conf power
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Well that first half execution on offense has been abysmal to say the least.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Turned it up quite a few notches in the second half here, what I was expecting to see in the first half on offense. Defense and Nick Thompson on face-offs have been dominant.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Slow 1st half but HSC visits LYN Thursday. Good coaches make adjustments. I expect a similar game. Can’t see the bugs making as many unforced TO’s or shooting % season low again.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Bridgewater leads 12-7 after three, they are 5-7 man up and also have a man down goal. Roanoke feels like they are on the verge of getting blown out.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Bridgewater falling apart in the 4th, only up 13-11 with 4:44 left. Get your popcorn ready folks!
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Congrats to Bridgewater on their first ever ODAC Tournament win!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”