University of Maryland Terrapins

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Lizzie Colson

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:08 pm There was a concerning moment toward the end of the Terp/Hop game yesterday (if memory serves) where Lizzie Colson was in a heap beside the goal for a longer period of time than was comfortable for Terp fans. I don't remember if Ms. Colson finished the game or not. I also don't remember making a mental note to look for her on the field afterward. We all know teams play injuries very close to the vest so I don't know how much info we'll get on it.
Colson walked unassisted off the field, not in any apparent pain, and stood next to Reese and spoke with her. I think she played in the OT. She and Leubecker basically saved Terp bacon yesterday.
Cletus

Re: Lizzie Colson

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:49 am
Cletus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:08 pm There was a concerning moment toward the end of the Terp/Hop game yesterday (if memory serves) where Lizzie Colson was in a heap beside the goal for a longer period of time than was comfortable for Terp fans. I don't remember if Ms. Colson finished the game or not. I also don't remember making a mental note to look for her on the field afterward. We all know teams play injuries very close to the vest so I don't know how much info we'll get on it.
Colson walked unassisted off the field, not in any apparent pain, and stood next to Reese and spoke with her. I think she played in the OT. She and Leubecker basically saved Terp bacon yesterday.
Thanks sea--glad someone was paying attention. What do you think were the shortcomings on the Jays side that deprived them of the opportunity to finally get the huge turtle off their back?
Turtles Lax

Not a pretty win...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...by any measure but Terps showed some offensive life today. Nothwithstanding the twenty (20!!!!!!!!) minute goal drought, of course. :shock:

There were seven (7) assisted Terp goals which is a big improvement as opposed to the season stats thus far.

But waaaaaay too many unforced giveaways. :roll: Coaches are no pleased.

That us all.

Peace, out.

TL
seacoaster

Re: Not a pretty win...

Post by seacoaster »

Turtles Lax wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:15 pm ...by any measure but Terps showed some offensive life today. Nothwithstanding the twenty (20!!!!!!!!) minute goal drought, of course. :shock:

There were seven (7) assisted Terp goals which is a big improvement as opposed to the season stats thus far.

But waaaaaay too many unforced giveaways. :roll: Coaches are no pleased.

That us all.

Peace, out.

TL
Leubecker is really a force. Really fast and a quick first step.
watcherinthewoods

Re: University of Maryland Terrapins

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I am too much of a skinflint to spring for Big10 network, so I have not seen Maryland live this season, but from the stat line Lizzie Colson has put this team on her back. Am I right? Anyone who has seen these games care to add some insight?
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Lizzie Colon has certainly been a force as has Grace Griffin and certainly Leubeker. Way too many turnovers, struggles with clearing and too little production from Brindi Griffin have been an issue. All correctable and I’m sure being worked on.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:00 am Lizzie Colon has certainly been a force as has Grace Griffin and certainly Leubeker. Way too many turnovers, struggles with clearing and too little production from Brindi Griffin have been an issue. All correctable and I’m sure being worked on.
Need some help from the draw girl as well. I have never witnessed a draw girl consistently not know what direction the ball will come out.Wing play gets most of the draws presently.
Turtles Lax

If you happen to be a fan...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...of stellar goalie play, hope you watched today’s game v. Ohio State.

Both keepers were very good. Any coach will confirm goalie play is somewhat dependent on the opponent’s shooting, but both keepers stuffed lotsa shots, had safe percentages well above 50%, and had some point blank saves.

Laxchix offense seems to be slowly rounding into shape...another game with 50% assisteseseseses. Hope remains... :lol:

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL

PS: Terps win!

tl
Turtles Lax

Uh, oh!

Post by Turtles Lax »

Not a good day for TL’s Laxchix. :shock:

Traveling all day; just saw the score.

No worries; the sun will rise on the morrow.

Lotsa lax yet to be played.

Peace, out.

TL

PS: Likely more once TL sees stats and stuff.

tl
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

I had super low expectations going into this game, I have even lower ones for Monday.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

ckstevenson wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:35 pm I had super low expectations going into this game, I have even lower ones for Monday.
Why do you say that? Is it in part because it’s too little time to game plan and make adjustments?
Turtles Lax

Had a look at stats.

Post by Turtles Lax »

Eleven turnovers and a big disparity in shots and draw controls told the story. :(

Add the continuing problem this season of lengthy scoring droughts and you get a big L.

One positive (even considering the scoring droughts) is TL’s Laxchix hanging 12 on NU. Twelve had been enough to win multiple games already this season.

One negative is allowing an opposing player to take fifteen (15!) shots. :o Particularly if said opposing player is a terrific shooter/scorer.

The sun did rise Sunday, as noted. :D And YOUR University of Maryland Terrapins will definitely be on the field at high noon, CDT, today and have another go at it.

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL

Note: The game is on the BTN mothership today. TL likely will be unable to watch in real time. Don’t for a minute think comments are tardy due to any outcome. TL will be back this evening (after viewing the game) with more...

tl
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

I did not see Saturday's game but watched today's game. Maryland has a big problem with the draw. Girardi of Northwestern dominated Maryland's Ahearn. It was all about draw control in the second half. Maryland rarely had the ball. It was make it take it for Northwestern. Northwestern also started slipping screens on the ball in the second half which was a nice adjustment. Maryland was switching on the screens in the first half. Right now Maryland is looking at the possibility of facing Carolina or Syracuse in the NCAA's quarterfinal. I just don't see them beating either one of those teams.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

suffolk wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:11 pm I did not see Saturday's game but watched today's game. Maryland has a big problem with the draw. Girardi of Northwestern dominated Maryland's Ahearn. It was all about draw control in the second half. Maryland rarely had the ball. It was make it take it for Northwestern. Northwestern also started slipping screens on the ball in the second half which was a nice adjustment. Maryland was switching on the screens in the first half. Right now Maryland is looking at the possibility of facing Carolina or Syracuse in the NCAA's quarterfinal. I just don't see them beating either one of those teams.
Those screens were very effective as the girl screening would just back into the defender and create space for a dodge. There is no such thing as a moving pick in women’s lacrosse . I would question if it was obstruction, it was repeated throughout the 2nd half mostly on the elbow making a clear path for a dodge.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Itsallgood wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm
suffolk wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:11 pm I did not see Saturday's game but watched today's game. Maryland has a big problem with the draw. Girardi of Northwestern dominated Maryland's Ahearn. It was all about draw control in the second half. Maryland rarely had the ball. It was make it take it for Northwestern. Northwestern also started slipping screens on the ball in the second half which was a nice adjustment. Maryland was switching on the screens in the first half. Right now Maryland is looking at the possibility of facing Carolina or Syracuse in the NCAA's quarterfinal. I just don't see them beating either one of those teams.
Those screens were very effective as the girl screening would just back into the defender and create space for a dodge. There is no such thing as a moving pick in women’s lacrosse . I would question if it was obstruction, it was repeated throughout the 2nd half mostly on the elbow making a clear path for a dodge. As for the draw ,you can’t have more turnovers (3) than draw controls (1) if you are the draw girl. Girardi for NU had (12) draw controls.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Itsallgood wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm There is no such thing as a moving pick in women’s lacrosse .
Is this tongue in cheek? There is absolutely such a thing as a moving pick in women's lacrosse...
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:43 pm
Itsallgood wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm There is no such thing as a moving pick in women’s lacrosse .
Is this tongue in cheek? There is absolutely such a thing as a moving pick in women's lacrosse...
If I’m being honest , my belief in women’s lacrosse is that the only illegal pick is a blind pick. Had a college ref explain that to me as I was complaining “ Moving Pick “ ( She was kind enough to come over at halftime and explain this to a very embarrassed fan........me )
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

If I’m being honest , my belief in women’s lacrosse is that the only illegal pick is a blind pick. Had a college ref explain that to me as I was complaining “ Moving Pick “ ( She was kind enough to come over at halftime and explain this to a very embarrassed fan........me )
Clearly, Northwestern has discovered this loophole and has incorporated it into their offense.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

In the end the game was won at the draw circle in the second half. Terps had no answer for Girardi. I just went to the play by play tab and she won 13 of the last 15 draws, the overwhelming majority drawing to herself.

There is nothing illegal with the screen on the ball offense Northwestern used today. Like I said Maryland was switching the screen in the first half and Scane had no space to shoot. Second half they started slipping screens and it created space for Scane to shoot. Maryland had a couple of defensive communication issues. Credit the Northwestern staff for the adjustment.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

2020-2021 Rule Book, Rule 6 - Fouls and Penalty Administration
SECTION 1. The following are fouls:
a. Blocking/Illegal Pick:
1. Moving into the path of an opponent without giving the opponent a chance to stop or change direction, and causing contact.
2. Setting a moving pick that causes contact and delays an opponent from reaching a desired position. For legal picking tactics see the definition for “pick” in Rule 7.
3. When an opponent is running to receive the ball and the “blind-side” defensive player does not give the opponent a chance to stop or change direction.

From Rule 7 - Definition of Terms
Pick
This is a technique in which a player without the ball, by her positioning, forces the opponent to take another route. To be legal, the picker shall stay within their vertical plane with a stance no wider than shoulder width apart, and shall not lean into the path of an opponent or extend hips into that path, even though feet are stationary. The picker is not required to face any particular direction at any time. The picker must give their opponent a chance to stop or change direction.

So yes, there is such a thing as a moving pick, but it's basically stepping right into the defender and it's true that most people don't understand that.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”