Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Sagittarius A* »

When you have less overall talent on the field, the only thing you can do is slow the game down and try to keep it close.
I can't fault Milliman's strategy here. It basically worked pretty well for three quarters.
I think he is trying to keep balanced lines. But I would probably run Williams, Degnon, and Zinn on the first line and play them 60+% of the time.
I would trigger the offense more through the attack. I would give the freshmen a chance on the second line.
The futility on offense in the second half, coupled with turnovers and sloppiness, led to way too many fast breaks and against a team like Rutgers, they were virtually impossible to defend. You can't fault the goalie for not being able to stop point blank shots off the crease against their attack.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You can't fault the goalie for getting dunked on in the crease but it's hard not to notice a pattern developing. Even in games the defense has played well (vs. Michigan, vs. PSU, and the first halves against UMD and Rutgers), the goalie has been at or more often below 50%. You hope and expect everyone on the roster to improve over the course of the season and that includes the goalie. Part of a goalie's job at this level of competition is to make tough saves. Look at some of the goalie stats from other teams this weekend. NJIT got bulldozed by Vermont 17-2, yet their goalie still found a way to get to save 59% of the shots on goal he faced. In fact despite NJIT being one of the worst teams in Division 1, their goalie has been above 50% in four of five games facing decent competition like Delaware, Stony Brook, Lehigh, and the aforementioned Vermont. When you adjust for competition our defense is about league average, but the goalie is 3rd worst in the country in save %. Had we made only one or two more saves in that second half, the complexion of the game at the end there could have been very different.

On the positive side, Matt Narewski continues to be a major major asset who is going to keep us in a lot of games this year and next (and in 2023, should he choose to return as a grad student). As a big, relatively athletic FOGO, the new rules really do fit him perfectly.

They put in the Peshko-Raposo line for one run in the second half when the game had mostly already slipped away. Did anyone notice McDermott GB near the mid line and then crossfield bullet pass to the wing (should have been an assist)? The kid has a very rare ability to see the field and sling ropes to the open man and once he gets his feet under him he's going to be a problem. I'm really confident about that.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:40 am When you have less overall talent on the field, the only thing you can do is slow the game down and try to keep it close.
I can't fault Milliman's strategy here. It basically worked pretty well for three quarters.
I think he is trying to keep balanced lines. But I would probably run Williams, Degnon, and Zinn on the first line and play them 60+% of the time.
I would trigger the offense more through the attack. I would give the freshmen a chance on the second line.
The futility on offense in the second half, coupled with turnovers and sloppiness, led to way too many fast breaks and against a team like Rutgers, they were virtually impossible to defend. You can't fault the goalie for not being able to stop point blank shots off the crease against their attack.
I mean, Robert Morris has less talent than Virginia and was tied with them late in the 4Q through mostly entirely transition goals and pushing the pace and using early offense.

Slow the game down and try to keep it close is one way to play when you’re trying to pull an upset vs a more talented team. When the shot clock didn’t exist it was the smartest way. But it’s not the only way and I think you could argue considering the shot clock now it’s better to try and score and run as the way to cut into the talent deficit as opposed to shrinking the game - kinda like how meh Big 12 teams pull upsets over Oklahoma by scoring 40 too.

With that said, obviously stopping Rutgers transition was priority #1 for Hopkins and I don’t think they lost the game because of the choice of pace they used. However the only way to play against a better opponent isn’t just shrink the game and play super slow.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

To be clear I am not really being critical of the coaching staff for the choices being made. They are between a rock and a hard place - they don't have very many upper class true mid-fielders - with Angelus/Keogh/Baskin/Williams - 4 of the 1st 6 are converted attackmen and 3 of them are teeny tiny people. So right now they are using their quickness and some modicum of speed to dodge and feed and control the ball if they have it. It makes sense - you can't tell a team 5 games in - well we're packing it in and playing for next year. With subtlety however, they need to think about that over the next several games - if they avoid the COVID issue - they get to play at least 6 more. You need to start thinking about:
- Baskin/Keogh are likely gone - Williams is definitely gone - Zinn will be a senior - Degnon will be senior (that's 5 of your first 6 middies) - objectively unless things change drastically - you wouldn't think Zinn is playing for Hop in '23 maybe Degnon
- I'm on board with HF16 on McDermott - where does he best fit in? especially if DeSimone returns for one last rodeo? get him on the field - he's almost certainly going to have to play a bigger role in '22 (assuming he's here) so start planning for it
- Hopefully you will have an uninterrupted fall and spring practice but I say - especially if the trip to Happy Valley is not very happy - let some of the freshmen start to play more
- I count 19 players for a 2-3 team that have not played yet - We know about Fernandez and there's conjecture on Glassmeyer but is anyone else surprised about Ladrido/Calnan/Handsor/Hawley/Burnett/Ince/Arteaga/Evans/Bauer/Tallino/Chauvette/Cohen/Fox/Rodgers/Harkin/Uphoff/Brunner are all spectators?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:05 pm To be clear I am not really being critical of the coaching staff for the choices being made. They are between a rock and a hard place - they don't have very many upper class true mid-fielders - with Angelus/Keogh/Baskin/Williams - 4 of the 1st 6 are converted attackmen and 3 of them are teeny tiny people. So right now they are using their quickness and some modicum of speed to dodge and feed and control the ball if they have it. It makes sense - you can't tell a team 5 games in - well we're packing it in and playing for next year. With subtlety however, they need to think about that over the next several games - if they avoid the COVID issue - they get to play at least 6 more. You need to start thinking about:
- Baskin/Keogh are likely gone - Williams is definitely gone - Zinn will be a senior - Degnon will be senior (that's 5 of your first 6 middies) - objectively unless things change drastically - you wouldn't think Zinn is playing for Hop in '23 maybe Degnon
- I'm on board with HF16 on McDermott - where does he best fit in? especially if DeSimone returns for one last rodeo? get him on the field - he's almost certainly going to have to play a bigger role in '22 (assuming he's here) so start planning for it
- Hopefully you will have an uninterrupted fall and spring practice but I say - especially if the trip to Happy Valley is not very happy - let some of the freshmen start to play more
- I count 19 players for a 2-3 team that have not played yet - We know about Fernandez and there's conjecture on Glassmeyer but is anyone else surprised about Ladrido/Calnan/Handsor/Hawley/Burnett/Ince/Arteaga/Evans/Bauer/Tallino/Chauvette/Cohen/Fox/Rodgers/Harkin/Uphoff/Brunner are all spectators?
Half those guys you mentioned at the end there are hurt. Calnan, Handsor, Chauvette, Brunner, Rodgers, and a few others have all been in sweats the last several games. Glassmeyer, surprisingly, has NOT been. So I think he was just benched in favor of the other guys.

It was garbage time but Martin had a nice stick check CT and GB yesterday. He’s the kind of player (fast, athletic) we’ve been looking for in the middle of the field. I expect to see his role continue to grow.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Lack of shooters really limits what you can do on offense. I think the staff is doing the best with what Its got. Losing Murphy really hurt.
a fan

Post by a fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:59 am You are not going to be able to go 7 for 18 like they did in the first half every time.
That's 39% shooting.

FWIW, through games played through March 20th.....Maryland and Duke are both at or above 40%. Rutgers is at 38%

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... t/team/563
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:21 pm Half those guys you mentioned at the end there are hurt. Calnan, Handsor, Chauvette, Brunner, Rodgers, and a few others have all been in sweats the last several games.
Hard to know that when you can't attend the games in person and/or watching on a screen where shots of the bench are few and far between
a fan wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:37 pm That's 39% shooting.

FWIW, through games played through March 20th.....Maryland and Duke are both at or above 40%. Rutgers is at 38%
FWIW - I wasn't trying to make a point that it was exceptional shooting - 7 for 18 is not bad - much better than 2 for 13 for example. My point was more along the lines of if you only take around 15-18 shots per half - 7 is about what you can realistically think you're going to come out of there with - not enough in this day and age
a fan

Post by a fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:07 pm My point was more along the lines of if you only take around 15-18 shots per half - 7 is about what you can realistically think you're going to come out of there with - not enough in this day and age
I missed that point entirely. Thank you for clarifying.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:36 pm Lack of shooters really limits what you can do on offense. I think the staff is doing the best with what Its got. Losing Murphy really hurt.
Has anyone heard any news on Murphy? Could he return to Hopkins next fall?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

ABClaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:01 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:36 pm Lack of shooters really limits what you can do on offense. I think the staff is doing the best with what Its got. Losing Murphy really hurt.

I’ve heard his name is still in the portal and he has not found a new home yet. As for returning to Hopkins I believe that is unlikely.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:28 pm
ABClaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:01 pm

I’ve heard his name is still in the portal and he has not found a new home yet. As for returning to Hopkins I believe that is unlikely.
Are you sure? I thought it was like the hokey pokey.

You put your left foot in
You take your left foot out
You put your left foot in
And shake it all about

You do the hokey portal
And you turn yourself around
That’s what it’s all about.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:12 am
On the positive side, Matt Narewski continues to be a major major asset who is going to keep us in a lot of games this year and next (and in 2023, should he choose to return as a grad student). As a big, relatively athletic FOGO, the new rules really do fit him perfectly.
I think they need to spell Narewski more in the second and third quarters to keep him fresh for the Fourth.
If they've lost confidence in Prouty, who was better before the rule change, they could go with the Freshman Dunn.
He went 3/5 when he came in before. Let him take some draws during the game so Narewski is fresh down the stretch.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:05 pm To be clear I am not really being critical of the coaching staff for the choices being made. They are between a rock and a hard place - they don't have very many upper class true mid-fielders - with Angelus/Keogh/Baskin/Williams - 4 of the 1st 6 are converted attackmen and 3 of them are teeny tiny people. So right now they are using their quickness and some modicum of speed to dodge and feed and control the ball if they have it. It makes sense - you can't tell a team 5 games in - well we're packing it in and playing for next year. With subtlety however, they need to think about that over the next several games - if they avoid the COVID issue - they get to play at least 6 more. You need to start thinking about:
After watching Loyola of Illinois success the last 4 years and our lack thereof the last decade+I have come to the conclusion that the answer to our issues is on campus and needs to be at practice and at all home games going forward.
https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/religiou ... ministers/
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:05 pm
Hopkins isn't talented enough at this point to overcome turning the ball over 18 times (going -5) and loss the non-FO ground ball game by 6 to a talented but very old Rutgers team. Add in some really bad decisions like forcing the ball into the crease on covered guys in the 2nd half. You get what you get.

As for McDermott and Peschko were out there on the field with about 5-6 minutes to go when Hopkins was only down 4. In theory, you could say the team still had a shot to win the game. So I think that gets into your subtly playing for next year by giving some younger guys opportunities.

You also need to get more out of Grimes. 5 games in your offense can't be getting 2 points out of 3rd starting attackman. I get it that DeSimone and Epstein suck up a lot of the oxygen but he's taken 2 less shots than DeSimone but is only shooting .091 - If he isn't doing this he should be spending some time after practice and pinging the corners.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If Chauvette were not hurt we might be seeing him rotate with Grimes on attack but, alas, he is injured. There aren't a whole lot of other options unless you want to move Degnon to attack. (Even Petro/Benson toyed with that idea last year before ultimately deciding against it.) I don't think this staff sees moving Cole back there as an option. So if you're really playing for 2022 and beyond then you probably need to just let Grimes keep shooting through the slump. Pretty much the rest of his game is there. I don't at all agree with the comment from earlier that he looks stationary—I watched him specifically on a number of possessions this weekend and he's moving around off-ball and finding seams.

Re: McDermott/Peshko/Raposo—they came on for one run with about 6 minutes left in the game, they were certainly on the field but I'm not sure that's what I'd call "meaningful" playing time. Peshko dodged the alley once before spinning it to X. Raposo barely touched the ball. McDermott did make a nice play that I mentioned earlier, picked up a GB and then threw an absolute rope crossfield to Grimes on the wing with a few seconds left on the shot clock, goalie made the save. You don't see too many freshman midfielders making passes like that...perhaps it earns him some more PT.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

I was actually pretty impressed with Hopkins defense in the Rutgers game. Held the high powered Rutgers O to 8 goals through the third, which is no easy task. After that nearly all of the goals they scored to separate were in unsettled situations like facoffs, blown clears, etc. Something is up with Kirson overall with that save percentage, but there were no goals, especially late in the game, that I thought the goalie should have had. Maybe one long range shot from Kirst late in the game, but given who was shooting it was probably moving 100 mph. I think you have a high ceiling on that end of the field, and certainly improved a ton from last year.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Antonio114 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:26 am I was actually pretty impressed with Hopkins defense in the Rutgers game. Held the high powered Rutgers O to 8 goals through the third, which is no easy task. After that nearly all of the goals they scored to separate were in unsettled situations like facoffs, blown clears, etc. Something is up with Kirson overall with that save percentage, but there were no goals, especially late in the game, that I thought the goalie should have had. Maybe one long range shot from Kirst late in the game, but given who was shooting it was probably moving 100 mph. I think you have a high ceiling on that end of the field, and certainly improved a ton from last year.
+1
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am
Antonio114 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:26 am I was actually pretty impressed with Hopkins defense in the Rutgers game. Held the high powered Rutgers O to 8 goals through the third, which is no easy task. After that nearly all of the goals they scored to separate were in unsettled situations like facoffs, blown clears, etc. Something is up with Kirson overall with that save percentage, but there were no goals, especially late in the game, that I thought the goalie should have had. Maybe one long range shot from Kirst late in the game, but given who was shooting it was probably moving 100 mph. I think you have a high ceiling on that end of the field, and certainly improved a ton from last year.
+1
at home, no major injuries and we can't play 60 minutes consistently much less for 2 straight games. Delaney, Reinson, Williams, Lyne, Kirson, Baskin, Connor Disimone, this is not a team of underclassmen and this is 2/3 losses where they have not had the ability to put away a team early and then stop the bleeding in the second half after halftime adjustments.

zinn-an underachieving veteran, and grimes-an underachieving rookie feels like a familiar tale we've seen for a long time where kids can presumably show a lot of talent in practice and get rewarded w/endless playing time in the hope they can turn it around when the results say they haven't earned it.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:27 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am
+1
at home, no major injuries and we can't play 60 minutes consistently much less for 2 straight games. Delaney, Reinson, Williams, Lyne, Kirson, Baskin, Connor Disimone, this is not a team of underclassmen and this is 2/3 losses where they have not had the ability to put away a team early and then stop the bleeding in the second half after halftime adjustments.

zinn-an underachieving veteran, and grimes-an underachieving rookie feels like a familiar tale we've seen for a long time where kids can presumably show a lot of talent in practice and get rewarded w/endless playing time in the hope they can turn it around when the results say they haven't earned it.
The team was 2-4 last year and getting blown out in the first quarter. The team wasn't competitive at all and struggled to beat MSM.
This year the team went toe-to-toe with UMD for a half and toe-to-toe with Rutgers for 3 quarters. That's improvement in my book.
Maybe they end the season ~ .500 and don't make the playoffs but given the coaching change, no offseason, and hardly any preseason, it's pretty ridiculous to expect perfection at this point.
Having said that I do think it's probably time to move on from players who are carrying the ball half the game and registering zero points. I would definitely be giving more freshmen a chance to see what they can do. If PM can pull in a couple good transfers in the offseason, next year could be a good one for the program.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”