UNC 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: UNC 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Also I'm pretty sure some kids who enter the portal report it to Xanders or whomever themselves. The fact is we have no idea what went on behind the scenes, either with the player's decision to enter the portal in the first place or with how that information then made it to IL. They do not have literal access to the portal, so it's not like they can check it whenever. They just get leaked info as it appears.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

One of UNC’s best players is literally in the portal right now to transfer next year. I’m not saying Johnson is the exact situation but it could be. as mentioned above, he could be in there to explore his options while still being at Carolina for the length of this season and committed to the team for whatever they need him to do. I think if he didn’t want to be on the team and apart of the team he would just....leave. But he didn’t.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

This has Kelly Bryant written all over it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:05 am One of UNC’s best players is literally in the portal right now to transfer next year. I’m not saying Johnson is the exact situation but it could be. as mentioned above, he could be in there to explore his options while still being at Carolina for the length of this season and committed to the team for whatever they need him to do. I think if he didn’t want to be on the team and apart of the team he would just....leave. But he didn’t.
i know, right? one's cool bc he's going to graduate, is a starter and might revolutionize the business world.
the other's a "heel", a locker room cancer, not committed, is up in his feels and believes the hype, and should take the train to albuquerque.
there's zero reason for this stuff to be out in-season for all the takes except for a few likes and clicks.

that's my take, anyway.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:05 am One of UNC’s best players is literally in the portal right now to transfer next year. I’m not saying Johnson is the exact situation but it could be. as mentioned above, he could be in there to explore his options while still being at Carolina for the length of this season and committed to the team for whatever they need him to do. I think if he didn’t want to be on the team and apart of the team he would just....leave. But he didn’t.
i know, right? one's cool bc he's going to graduate, is a starter and might revolutionize the business world.
the other's a "heel", a locker room cancer, not committed, is up in his feels and believes the hype, and should take the train to albuquerque.
there's zero reason for this stuff to be out in-season for all the takes except for a few likes and clicks.

that's my take, anyway.
Only thing I'd say about Bowen transferring is that it seemed like he wanted to stay at UNC, but the grad school options he was looking for weren't available to him because of lack of work experience. Completely different situations in my opinion.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

ABClaxfan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:51 am

that's my take, anyway.
Only thing I'd say about Bowen transferring is that it seemed like he wanted to stay at UNC, but the grad school options he was looking for weren't available to him because of lack of work experience. Completely different situations in my opinion.
You don’t know Johnson’s situation. How can you say they’re completely different when you literally don’t know the details of one? All we know is Johnson is in the portal and he’s still part of UNC’s team. That’s it.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

IL article about the relationship between High Point coach Jon Torpey and Coach Breschi. -
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... onth/57371

I always thought it was a bit strange that UNC and High Point did not play each other between 2016-2019 considering the connection and proximity between the two schools. I hope the series continues.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

In these opening weeks of the season, Connor Maher has really stood out as a special player. For my money, there's not a better D-middie in the country right now. 20gbs already.
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:57 am
ABClaxfan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:51 am

that's my take, anyway.
You don’t know Johnson’s situation. How can you say they’re completely different when you literally don’t know the details of one? All we know is Johnson is in the portal and he’s still part of UNC’s team. That’s it.
These are two very different situations and the timing validates this. Bowen entered the transfer portal in early December well ahead of the season starting and revealed the reasons why. In early January, he announced he was going to Georgetown to continue his education in a grad program that UNC did not offer. If UNC had the program he likely would have stayed a Tar Heel. His timing and transparency were likely appreciated and encouraged by the coaches to avoid any in-season drama that could disrupt the focus on the team's goals. Johnson, the designated pre-season starter, apparently loses the job and can not seem to fight his way back into the #1 spot against a freshman. Perhaps there are other personal off-the-field issues unfolding, but to announce your intentions to leave the team mid-season is selfish and shows poor character and lack of leadership. For the sake of the team, he could have announced his intention to leave when the season is over. Right now he is the second most important player on the roster, the backup goalie, just like the backup QB. His team needs to know they can count on him should something happen to Krieg and he needs to go in and make stops. Why not work hard in practice, push the freshman to make him better, and make yourself better, and then beat him out. I'm sorry the timing of this reveals his lack of character and commitment to the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he is not around much longer if this nonsense continues.

Regardless of this distraction, the HPU game today should be exciting and fast pace on the turf in Kenan. Go Heels!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

all of the above is complete garbage. you have absolutely no idea what his own circumstances are, the team dynamic, none of it. but don't let any of that stop you from throwing grenades!
post it on the team's twitter account, you'll get more clicks!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Agreed, it's entirely speculative.

If this was a discussion of various hypothetical scenarios on a thread about the transfer portal, not applying to any particular players, then sure, one could make 'judgments' based on the specific hypotheticals...but applied to individual situations in which we simply don't know all the factors, it's inappropriate and potentially hurtful.
TAV

Post by TAV »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:52 am Agreed, it's entirely speculative.

If this was a discussion of various hypothetical scenarios on a thread about the transfer portal, not applying to any particular players, then sure, one could make 'judgments' based on the specific hypotheticals...but applied to individual situations in which we simply don't know all the factors, it's inappropriate and potentially hurtful.
The guy is simply voicing his opinion. “Inappropriate and hurtful”...this is why the whole country is going sideways...we don’t want too hurt anyone’s feelings!

It is unusual for a player to enter the transfer portal after 4 games...that lends itself to speculation. Maybe the team understands and is good with it, maybe not. If I were on the team, I’d be What the heck, but that’s just me. Either way, if he stays through the year, he’d best be ready, willing and able to step up and play if asked. If not, sit on the bench, relax and don’t take stuff personally. Life lesson 101 - Actions have consequences.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Boxster54 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:37 am These are two very different situations and the timing validates this. Bowen entered the transfer portal in early December well ahead of the season starting and revealed the reasons why. In early January, he announced he was going to Georgetown to continue his education in a grad program that UNC did not offer. If UNC had the program he likely would have stayed a Tar Heel. His timing and transparency were likely appreciated and encouraged by the coaches to avoid any in-season drama that could disrupt the focus on the team's goals. Johnson, the designated pre-season starter, apparently loses the job and can not seem to fight his way back into the #1 spot against a freshman. Perhaps there are other personal off-the-field issues unfolding, but to announce your intentions to leave the team mid-season is selfish and shows poor character and lack of leadership. For the sake of the team, he could have announced his intention to leave when the season is over. Right now he is the second most important player on the roster, the backup goalie, just like the backup QB. His team needs to know they can count on him should something happen to Krieg and he needs to go in and make stops. Why not work hard in practice, push the freshman to make him better, and make yourself better, and then beat him out. I'm sorry the timing of this reveals his lack of character and commitment to the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he is not around much longer if this nonsense continues.
Who says he "announced his intentions"? He put himself in the transfer portal. The only reason you know about it is because Inside Lacrosse reported on it. It's entirely possible the player would have preferred to keep this quiet. You have no idea.

Also, who really cares at the end of the day? Like you said, he was beaten out for the starting job, though it sure sounds like him getting Covid had something to do with that. UNC has three other goalies on the roster should something happen to the starter. If the backup goalie entering the portal is what ruins the team's hopes of a championship then they probably had bigger issues.

"Perhaps there are other personal off-the-field issues unfolding" is basically all you really needed to say, but instead we get a huge paragraph of assumptions and speculation.

Lot of people talked a big game this offseason about how these kids needed to play lacrosse during the pandemic for the sake of their mental health but then the second one makes a decision that for all anyone here knows is in the best interests of his own health, he's anonymously slandered for it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

just weird stuff from grown men. when this transpired with burkinshaw, there was plenty of speculation on these pages about locker room and who knows, maybe "character".
as soon as he got pulled @ cuse, i expected him to transfer.

then lo and behold, he contributed on occasion, the team seemed just fine to be behind him and vice versa. and they won a national
championship.

given his ultimate penn destination, he may very well have had to get the ball rolling before june. and the same might be the case here. but i'll just wait for all the experts on here to tell me what the real skinny is.
NOLAXBRO

Post by NOLAXBRO »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:13 am
RumorMill wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:38 am Note, I have absolutely no information or idea what’s going on with this situations. However, just an alternative perspective. Maybe he did have a long sit down with the coaching staff prior to entering the transfer portal. Maybe they told him, we love you, we want you on the team, but right now you’re not our #1 guy and the way things are going you won’t be next year either. I’m not saying they told him to enter the transfer portal, but who says they didn’t support his decision. Maybe he said something like… I’m here for you guys and the team, whatever you need me to do this season I’m ready to go… BUT, I would really love to be the #1 guy my senior (and potentially grad year) so I think I’m going to enter the portal now so other coaches and teams can add me to their potential scenario for next year. And in the meantime I’m going to work to get that #1 spot back.

I’m probably giving everyone too much credit and know that would be an optimistic view on the situation… but who knows.
agreed. we all tend to pop off on this now that this portal is out there. usually opinions formed are shaded by circumstances without knowing any detailed context.
there are transfer deadlines that sometimes don't square with end of season.
cormier was in the portal earlier this year. no worries now. burkinshaw contributed when called upon.

this thing as far as i know was never supposed to be public? but a couple people outside of coaches (media types, such as it is in lax) have been given access by somebody. that should be shut down. coaches knowing is enough.
Agreed! Each situation is individual. Only those in it should take the liberty to offer an opinion or judgment. Optimism is welcome in the current state of affairs.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:20 am
Boxster54 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:37 am These are two very different situations and the timing validates this. Bowen entered the transfer portal in early December well ahead of the season starting and revealed the reasons why. In early January, he announced he was going to Georgetown to continue his education in a grad program that UNC did not offer. If UNC had the program he likely would have stayed a Tar Heel. His timing and transparency were likely appreciated and encouraged by the coaches to avoid any in-season drama that could disrupt the focus on the team's goals. Johnson, the designated pre-season starter, apparently loses the job and can not seem to fight his way back into the #1 spot against a freshman. Perhaps there are other personal off-the-field issues unfolding, but to announce your intentions to leave the team mid-season is selfish and shows poor character and lack of leadership. For the sake of the team, he could have announced his intention to leave when the season is over. Right now he is the second most important player on the roster, the backup goalie, just like the backup QB. His team needs to know they can count on him should something happen to Krieg and he needs to go in and make stops. Why not work hard in practice, push the freshman to make him better, and make yourself better, and then beat him out. I'm sorry the timing of this reveals his lack of character and commitment to the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he is not around much longer if this nonsense continues.
Who says he "announced his intentions"? He put himself in the transfer portal. The only reason you know about it is because Inside Lacrosse reported on it. It's entirely possible the player would have preferred to keep this quiet. You have no idea.

Also, who really cares at the end of the day? Like you said, he was beaten out for the starting job, though it sure sounds like him getting Covid had something to do with that. UNC has three other goalies on the roster should something happen to the starter. If the backup goalie entering the portal is what ruins the team's hopes of a championship then they probably had bigger issues.

"Perhaps there are other personal off-the-field issues unfolding" is basically all you really needed to say, but instead we get a huge paragraph of assumptions and speculation.

Lot of people talked a big game this offseason about how these kids needed to play lacrosse during the pandemic for the sake of their mental health but then the second one makes a decision that for all anyone here knows is in the best interests of his own health, he's anonymously slandered for it.
well, let's also not assume it has anything to do with his health, mental or otherwise, either...we simply don't know. Totally agree as to "anonymously slandered".

I'm fine on it being transparent that a player has entered the portal, that's his call to make, but I simply see no point on ripping on a kid and his "character" when we absolutely don't know the whole story...yes, TAV, IMO that's "inappropriate and potentially hurtful".

But, yeah, this is America and we get to make jerks of ourselves on anonymous boards like this if we want. (Many would say I do so constantly!)
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

OK I need to remove the bad karma I created for myself! I went back and reread what I posted earlier and agree I was too judgemental of the situation. This was a result of too much influence from others that are much closer to the situation. I should not have posted what I did about the kid's character or motive for announcing the intention to possibly transfer. It's really none of my business. I do feel the timing is disruptive to the team but
I guess he has his reasons. Time will tell how it works out, and for his sake and the team, I hope it's all good. I will take a large dose of my own medicine and refrain from future negative comments. Go Heels!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Boxster54 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:06 pm OK I need to remove the bad karma I created for myself! I went back and reread what I posted earlier and agree I was too judgemental of the situation. This was a result of too much influence from others that are much closer to the situation. I should not have posted what I did about the kid's character or motive for announcing the intention to possibly transfer. It's really none of my business. I do feel the timing is disruptive to the team but
I guess he has his reasons. Time will tell how it works out, and for his sake and the team, I hope it's all good. I will take a large dose of my own medicine and refrain from future negative comments. Go Heels!
nice, boxster.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:07 pm
Boxster54 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:06 pm OK I need to remove the bad karma I created for myself! I went back and reread what I posted earlier and agree I was too judgemental of the situation. This was a result of too much influence from others that are much closer to the situation. I should not have posted what I did about the kid's character or motive for announcing the intention to possibly transfer. It's really none of my business. I do feel the timing is disruptive to the team but
nice, boxster.
+1
Good luck for the season!
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

Krieg not having a strong outing today.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”