WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:20 pm Out of curiosity, I looked the game up. I see it was played in Palmer Stadium at Princeton.

Here’s one memory I have of Palmer Stadium. In 1967 I attended the Princeton Dartmouth football game. My dad and my friend’s dad were both Princeton alums. My friend and I were 13 and 14 at the time. Princeton won the game. Back then, you were allowed to rush onto the field, or at least they didn’t stop you.

My friend and I joined a group who were tearing down one of the wooden goal posts. We got our hands on one end, but a lot of big college kids had the other end. Nobody wanted to give up their piece of history. I remember we two little kids more or less were dragged back to the big college kids’ dorm room where somebody produced a saw.

To their great credit, instead of shooing us out of the room, they sawed up the piece of goalpost we all had been holding onto and gave us something like an 18 inch segment. I still have it to this day.
cool story.... :D
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Maryland Women's Lacrosse
@MarylandWLax

Two chances to relive some great Final Four memories today on @ESPNU

Noon - 2017 Semifinal win over Penn State
10 PM - 2019 Semifinal win over Northwestern
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ESPN LACROSSE SCHEDULE FOR MONDAY, MAY 18

ESPNU continues re-airing past lacrosse games to fill the content void as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and beginning at noon, the network will air six recent NCAA women’s lacrosse classics. All times eastern.

NOON
PENN STATE VS. MARYLAND, 2017 NCAA SEMIFINAL
The Terps throttled the Nittany Lions 20-10 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass, largely because of a 22-10 advantage on draws. Jen Giles led the way with four goals and four assists.

2 P.M.
NAVY VS. BOSTON COLLEGE, 2017 NCAA SEMIFINAL
Boston College won a 16-15 thriller to clinch the first of its three consecutive berths into the NCAA title game. Navy scored the final two goals of the contest to make things interesting, but BC held on. Kenzie Kent recorded five goals and one assist.

4 P.M.
JAMES MADISON VS. NORTH CAROLINA, 2018 NCAA SEMIFINAL
James Madison captured the 2018 NCAA championship, so relive the game that sent the Dukes into the history books. Haley Warden scored five goals in the 15-12 win then scored four more in the title game.

6 P.M.
BOSTON COLLEGE VS. MARYLAND, 2018 NCAA SEMIFINAL
To get to the championship game, Boston College broke a tie at 13 when Sam Apuzzo scored the final two goals of the game against Maryland. In the 15-13 win, Apuzzo scored four times and won 10 draws.

8 P.M.
NORTH CAROLINA VS. BOSTON COLLEGE, 2019 NCAA SEMIFINAL
Simply put, one of the best women’s lacrosse games of all time. Boston College advanced to its third straight NCAA championship game after a 16-15, double-overtime thriller. Apuzzo ended the slugfest with her 91st goal of the season after Jamie Ortega forced overtime on her 81st goal that came with 1:04 left in regulation.

10 P.M.
NORTHWESTERN VS. MARYLAND, 2019 NCAA SEMIFINAL
Maryland unloaded on Northwestern in a 25-13 win, scoring the final nine goals of the contest. Brindi Griffin led the onslaught with six goals and one assist.
Caddy Day
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 pm
njbill wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:20 pm Out of curiosity, I looked the game up. I see it was played in Palmer Stadium at Princeton.

Here’s one memory I have of Palmer Stadium. In 1967 I attended the Princeton Dartmouth football game. My dad and my friend’s dad were both Princeton alums. My friend and I were 13 and 14 at the time. Princeton won the game. Back then, you were allowed to rush onto the field, or at least they didn’t stop you.

My friend and I joined a group who were tearing down one of the wooden goal posts. We got our hands on one end, but a lot of big college kids had the other end. Nobody wanted to give up their piece of history. I remember we two little kids more or less were dragged back to the big college kids’ dorm room where somebody produced a saw.

To their great credit, instead of shooing us out of the room, they sawed up the piece of goalpost we all had been holding onto and gave us something like an 18 inch segment. I still have it to this day.
cool story.... :D
I'm thinking Bill is one of those guys who smuggled his friend and friend's girlfriend into the drive-in movies in the trunk of Bill's Dad's Chevy Impala.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

6 Women's National C'ship games on ESPNU on Sunday. :)
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I suppose podcasts fit here. I'm in the process of listening to Overtime with Paul Carcaterra's interview of Kelly Amonte Hiller. Not your run of the mill interview. Very interesting bits about how coach discovered lacrosse, signed on with Northwestern, recruited a set of twins from Indiana who had never played lacrosse to play for her, etc.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/k ... 0467287093

There are other interviews. One with a certain coach at Maryland that a certain member who refers to himself in the 3rd person would undoubtedly enjoy, if he hasn't already.
Cletus

Northwestern 23 Ohio St 7

Post by Cletus »

Strange/interesting that Jon "Stugotz" Weiner did the color commentary for this game. Remote has its advantages. No sacred cows with him which can be refreshing.
LaxGuy17

Re: Northwestern 23 Ohio St 7

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Cletus wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:29 pm Strange/interesting that Jon "Stugotz" Weiner did the color commentary for this game. Remote has its advantages. No sacred cows with him which can be refreshing.
Will acknowledge he does know the game a bit and certainly doesn’t hold back opinions. Not sure OSU fans/parents appreciated some of his takes though. If anybody didn’t know he was also a coach in Florida, they do now as he told us like 10 times that he coaches the number one team in the country.
Cletus

The Quantity and the Quality have improved

Post by Cletus »

There are more games streaming this year, and more games that are streamed/televised with higher production value. That's been a treat. I watched a St Joseph vs Hofstra game earlier in the week because the quality of the broadcast was above average. The sport itself is great if it gets showcased the right way. Anyone else notice a difference?
Cletus

For njbill and anyone else interested in JHU/Rutgers replay

Post by Cletus »

Hey joisy--if you didn't get a chance to see YOUR joisy girls in action vs the Jaybirds yesterday, here is the link for the free replay. I haven't watched it yet, saving it for when I get home from work, but HopTV usually does a pretty good production job streaming their home games.

https://vcloud.blueframetech.com/broadc ... 6264?w=640
njbill

Post by njbill »

Thanks. Glad to see your prediction for the season is more accurate than mine.

And how about that SOUTH Jersey girl going 7 for 7?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:41 am Thanks. Glad to see your prediction for the season is more accurate than mine.

Who dat? I didn’t hear about it. Do tell!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Cassidy Spilis.

Box scores, my man, box scores.

https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/si ... 221-RU.pdf
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 am Cassidy Spilis.

Box scores, my man, box scores.

https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/si ... 221-RU.pdf
VERY Nice! Cassidy is a Real Player! Very happy to hear she did so well. Makes watching the replay even more compelling when I get home from work. Let’s go Scarlet Knights!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:41 am Thanks. Glad to see your prediction for the season is more accurate than mine.

A quote from coach Lehman after the win:

“So unbelievably proud of this team and how much we grew from last week to come out on top today. That’s 60 minutes of Jersey GRIT!”
Cletus

Back in time with BTN+

Post by Cletus »

I made a very interesting discovery this morning. BTN plus offers replays back to the 2016 season. I was amazed to see the 2017 Stony Brook at Maryland quarterfinal available. I will definitely have to watch that one. They also have games from The Tournament that do not involve Big 10 teams if I remember correctly. In any event, that’s a pretty cool thing to be able to go back to 2016 and watch old games.
Cletus

Inside the Field House at Boston College

Post by Cletus »

I thought they did a pretty dang good job on the production of yesterday‘s game. Decent all the way around. Were there some things I would change? Sure m—but on the whole, a very good job broadcasting this game from inside a field house.
Cletus

Taylor Cummings rips Big 10 Network for women’s coverage

Post by Cletus »

“...something that isn’t so thrilling to witness as a viewer is the clear disparity in production levels between the men’s and women’s games on the Big Ten Network’s streaming platform BTN Plus. The men’s games this weekend had multiple camera angles, two announcers and an exceptionally high quality in their streams. On the other hand, I was in total shock when I turned on the Ohio State-Johns Hopkins game Friday night to find a stream that looked like practice film and to listen to … nothing.

The lack of announcers and simple scoreboards for the women’s contests are unacceptable for any conference, especially one as large as the Big Ten. We are seeing games being called virtually by the ACC and other smaller conferences with higher quality streaming services at a fraction of the price.

Here’s to hoping that the Big Ten Network steps up in a BIG way and gives its female teams the respect they deserve and have earned. Enough is enough.”
Brownlax

Re: Taylor Cummings rips Big 10 Network for women’s coverage

Post by Brownlax »

Cletus wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 am “...something that isn’t so thrilling to witness as a viewer is the clear disparity in production levels between the men’s and women’s games on the Big Ten Network’s streaming platform BTN Plus. The men’s games this weekend had multiple camera angles, two announcers and an exceptionally high quality in their streams. On the other hand, I was in total shock when I turned on the Ohio State-Johns Hopkins game Friday night to find a stream that looked like practice film and to listen to … nothing.

The lack of announcers and simple scoreboards for the women’s contests are unacceptable for any conference, especially one as large as the Big Ten. We are seeing games being called virtually by the ACC and other smaller conferences with higher quality streaming services at a fraction of the price.

Here’s to hoping that the Big Ten Network steps up in a BIG way and gives its female teams the respect they deserve and have earned. Enough is enough.”
I already posted about this, so I agree 1,000,000%. Unacceptable by the Big Ten.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”