D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Stony Brook

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:06 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:14 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 pm
Cletus wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:20 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:01 pm SB is an interesting case this year I think. If Spallina thinks they’re that good, then they probably are pretty good. Agree the issue with SB this year is they won’t be battled tested come tourney time. You could say that any year, but this year especially.
I hear what you're saying LaxGuy, but Spallina has proved himself to talk big but not produce results before. He stepped in it big time back in 2018 when he predicted SB would go into BC and win in the NCAA quarters.

Absolutely. I have to think that sisters of the poor schedule they'll be playing will hurt them. They can scrimmage each other all they want--it's not the same thing as running into a buzzsaw like UNC, Loyola, ND, etc. We shall see, SB might surprise everyone like JMU in '18, but I seriously doubt it.
Joe has a mouth, but he is also one of the best coaches in the game. His kids are tough, dedicated and play with the chip of public school kids overlooked by others. Kennedy may in fact be the best player in the country now. He's taken a program at a school in a hotbed, but which gets the second echelon of recruits, and made them winners. That they beat Syracuse and Florida and compete with BC with the Big Three and Maryland in the tournament, is something to be respected. If Joe says he has something special, no one would want the competition more than him. But you have to play the games you can schedule -- and win them.
Bottom line his team has not been in a final 4 ever. And every year he tells everyone he has best “insert here” middies, attack unit, freshmen, player (always) .....his schedule this year will hurt him and I think a lot of teams don’t want to play him. AK is a very good player but not the best IMO. Just very over hyped as is Joe’s way. And he won’t beat Syracuse this time.
Agreed; that is the bottom line. Why don't teams want to play SBU?

For the record, I am a Syracuse fan. SBU is not my team. I just think Spallina has done a good job with the talent he has and, not parenthetically, I think his players like playing for him and at SBU. It's still college, and that means something to me.
I know of two teams in ACC that when asked ...said no. As to why? I’m not sure as to why but prob a number of factors involved. Agreed he has done a lot with the players he has but the non stop “chip on shoulder...look what we have done “ is old now . The team is always at least in the top 10 every year so why do you have to keep up the “nobody respects us” rhetoric ? Again he has to beat Syracuse because the rest of conf will be a cake walk.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:21 am My only beef with Stony Brook is the arrogance projected. Especially for a team that never won anything but the AE title.

AK’s numbers stack up against EH’s numbers. I think I give the nod to Emily because she plays tougher teams.
You need to look at numbers and other factors . There are about 10 players right now who I would consider for the Tew. All have great numbers but IMO you need to look at : what conference? I’ve got 5 in ACC and 5 in other conf. So look at numbers but with these players : how many have won their indiv conf? Gotten their team to a final 4? Final? That has to factor in my decision as well?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

“Agreed; that is the bottom line. Why don't teams want to play SBU?”

—seacoaster

If I’m not mistaken, I think I remember you explaining why teams don’t want to play Stony Brook but it won’t be the first time that I misremember something. I know someone on here, I think it was you seacoaster, explained that Stony Brook has a hard time scheduling difficult teams because the teams can’t gain anything from playing SB. If they beat SB, their ranking doesn’t see a tremendous rise. If they lose to SB it’s a bigger count against their RPI. We saw how that worked in 2018. SB was number one in the polls pretty much the whole season until it got to the tournament seedings where they got punched in at number five. No doubt the conference they play in factored against them in those criteria (RPI/SOS).
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

“You need to look at numbers and other factors . There are about 10 players right now who I would consider for the Tew. All have great numbers but IMO you need to look at : what conference? I’ve got 5 in ACC and 5 in other conf. So look at numbers but with these players : how many have won their indiv conf? Gotten their team to a final 4? Final? That has to factor in my decision as well?”

—Laxfan500

I’m not sure if these are rhetorical questions, Laxfan. What I laid out is what I judge by. I think there is some semblance of truth to it judging from past Tewaaraton winners.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:28 am “You need to look at numbers and other factors . There are about 10 players right now who I would consider for the Tew. All have great numbers but IMO you need to look at : what conference? I’ve got 5 in ACC and 5 in other conf. So look at numbers but with these players : how many have won their indiv conf? Gotten their team to a final 4? Final? That has to factor in my decision as well?”

—Laxfan500

I’m not sure if these are rhetorical questions, Laxfan. What I laid out is what I judge by. I think there is some semblance of truth to it judging from past Tewaaraton winners.
If you are only looking at numbers how does Emily and AK stack up with Katie H, Jamie O, Andie Aldave, Livy R, etc? Also what about defenders and goalie? Remember a goalie won last time. Also if Syracuse or SB don’t make final 4 at least I would assume neither would win Tew.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:05 am If you are only looking at numbers how does Emily and AK stack up with Katie H, Jamie O, Andie Aldave, Livy R, etc? Also what about defenders and goalie? Remember a goalie won last time. Also if Syracuse or SB don’t make final 4 at least I would assume neither would win Tew.
I thought about those players but passed over each one of them for different reasons. It’s not only the numbers as weighing which conferences they play in factors as well. I’m not huge on the individual awards anyway. There really is no definitive way to settle some of the arguments about certain players.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:05 am If you are only looking at numbers how does Emily and AK stack up with Katie H, Jamie O, Andie Aldave, Livy R, etc? Also what about defenders and goalie? Remember a goalie won last time. Also if Syracuse or SB don’t make final 4 at least I would assume neither would win Tew.
I thought about those players but passed over each one of them for different reasons. It’s not only the numbers as weighing which conferences they play in factors as well. I’m not huge on the individual awards anyway. There really is no definitive way to settle some of the arguments about certain players.
“Passed over each one of them for different reasons” I would be curious as to how you chose EH over the others mentioned . I never mentioned ind records. I’m looking at same stats like g,a, tot pts, dc, gb, SH %, 4/6 play in ACC . Not picking fight lol just curious.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 am I thought about those players but passed over each one of them for different reasons. It’s not only the numbers as weighing which conferences they play in factors as well. I’m not huge on the individual awards anyway. There really is no definitive way to settle some of the arguments about certain players.
“Passed over each one of them for different reasons” I would be curious as to how you chose EH over the others mentioned . I never mentioned ind records. I’m looking at same stats like g,a, tot pts, dc, gb, SH %, 4/6 play in ACC . Not picking fight lol just curious.
I’ll give you a fuller answer when I get home but the basic reason for the other four are they don’t have the across-the-board numbers that Emily does, or they don’t play in as tough a conference/league.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:09 pm
Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 am I thought about those players but passed over each one of them for different reasons. It’s not only the numbers as weighing which conferences they play in factors as well. I’m not huge on the individual awards anyway. There really is no definitive way to settle some of the arguments about certain players.
I’ll give you a fuller answer when I get home but the basic reason for the other four are they don’t have the across-the-board numbers that Emily does, or they don’t play in as tough a conference/league.
Look at the numbers from KH and JO. Play in the same conf at EH
JO has played a full year less than EH and has more points, better shooting %, is an ACC MVP and has two trips to final 4 where she was 2X NCAA All tourney
KH also has more points than EH, two trips to final four etc. not to mention holds record for assists which in a 25 year program is pretty darn good. The only number EH is higher in is Draw Control and as she takes a lot of the draw that makes sense (but not more DC that AA or LR)
Back to LR, better numbers than EH and yes in a less stronger conference but Loyola’s schedule non conf is pretty strenuous.
So my point is if you are strictly going by stats or ability to win your conference or a final four (which I think is pretty important ) she’s not a runaway in numbers . If you just prefer her for some reason that’s fine . But numbers.no.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Will look forward to the fuller answer. In general, I continue to be surprised with the focus largely on gaudy scoring totals, rather than all around players. That’s not to say Attackers can’t have solid CT and GB and Draw stats as well, but I think a lot of Middies are overlooked.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:23 pm

Will look forward to the fuller answer. In general, I continue to be surprised with the focus largely on gaudy scoring totals, rather than all around players. That’s not to say Attackers can’t have solid CT and GB and Draw stats as well, but I think a lot of Middies are overlooked.
For many years Middies won Tewaarton. Think Cummings over Trainor . With Appuzzo I don’t think it was “gaudy” numbers so much as the sheer talent and will to win she had.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:23 pm

For many years Middies won Tewaarton. Think Cummings over Trainor . With Appuzzo I don’t think it was “gaudy” numbers so much as the sheer talent and will to win she had.
I totally agree on Apuzzo, one of my all-time favorite players, and good example of an Attacking player that was great on Draws too and redefended like her hair was on fire and had tons of CTs.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:34 pm Look at the numbers from KH and JO. Play in the same conf at EH
JO has played a full year less than EH and has more points, better shooting %, is an ACC MVP and has two trips to final 4 where she was 2X NCAA All tourney
KH also has more points than EH, two trips to final four etc. not to mention holds record for assists which in a 25 year program is pretty darn good. The only number EH is higher in is Draw Control and as she takes a lot of the draw that makes sense (but not more DC that AA or LR)
Back to LR, better numbers than EH and yes in a less stronger conference but Loyola’s schedule non conf is pretty strenuous.
So my point is if you are strictly going by stats or ability to win your conference or a final four (which I think is pretty important ) she’s not a runaway in numbers . If you just prefer her for some reason that’s fine . But numbers.no.
Neither Ortega nor Hoeg have across the board numbers with Hawryschuk. Taking draws makes Emily just that much more valuable to her team. Livy's numbers are stunning, but sad to say she plays in the Loyola League. (Watch--Doc'll be in any second to talk about what powerhouses exist in the Patriot league apart from Loyola). Kennedy's numbers are also remarkable but she plays in the Stony Brook conference. As far as individual awards--they mean nothing to me. We saw Hawryschuk get left out of the final 5 for the Tewaaraton in '19 for Jen Giles. Folks voting for individual awards don't always get it right. That's how I see it.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 pm For many years Middies won Tewaarton. Think Cummings over Trainor . With Appuzzo I don’t think it was “gaudy” numbers so much as the sheer talent and will to win she had.
Apuzzo had gaudy numbers and extraordinary skills on the field. We won't see a player like her again for awhile.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:21 pm I totally agree on Apuzzo, one of my all-time favorite players, and good example of an Attacking player that was great on Draws too and redefended like her hair was on fire and had tons of CTs.
Well said, LaxGuy.

Cases in point:

https://youtu.be/YZ7KRSZB0AY

https://youtu.be/yarZhD_v7QY
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:29 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:34 pm Look at the numbers from KH and JO. Play in the same conf at EH
Neither Ortega nor Hoeg have across the board numbers with Hawryschuk. Taking draws makes Emily just that much more valuable to her team. Livy's numbers are stunning, but sad to say she plays in the Loyola League. (Watch--Doc'll be in any second to talk about what powerhouses exist in the Patriot league apart from Loyola). Kennedy's numbers are also remarkable but she plays in the Stony Brook conference. As far as individual awards--they mean nothing to me. We saw Hawryschuk get left out of the final 5 for the Tewaaraton in '19 for Jen Giles. Folks voting for individual awards don't always get it right. That's how I see it.
We will agree to disagree I guess .
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:45 pm We will agree to disagree I guess .
And that's more than okay.

Much success to you Laxfan during the upcoming season. I don't know if you have daughters or sons playing The Creator's Game, but if you do, I wish them great success as well.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:29 pm
Ortega average 4.6 goals per game and Hawryschuk average 4.8. Ortega leads the country in shot percentage with a .762 and EH is not even in the top 50. Hoeg holds the career assist record at UNC and she isn't even done yet.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 am Ortega average 4.6 goals per game and Hawryschuk average 4.8. Ortega leads the country in shot percentage with a .762 and EH is not even in the top 50. Hoeg holds the career assist record at UNC and she isn't even done yet.
Again:

“Neither Ortega nor Hoeg have across the board numbers with Hawryschuk.”
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:07 am
Brownlax wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 am Ortega average 4.6 goals per game and Hawryschuk average 4.8. Ortega leads the country in shot percentage with a .762 and EH is not even in the top 50. Hoeg holds the career assist record at UNC and she isn't even done yet.
Again:

“Neither Ortega nor Hoeg have across the board numbers with Hawryschuk.”
Ortega has 240 points in 3 years to Hawryshuk's 233 points in 4 years. Hoeg has 253 points in 4 years. It's just math!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”