2021 Schedule News

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DU-fan

Re: 2021 Schedule News

Post by DU-fan »

Interesting protocols for fans attending Jacksonville games. This sounds encouraging.

JACKSONVILLE ATHLETICS IS WELCOMING LIMITED FANS BACK FOR GAME DAY!
https://judolphins.com/sports/2020/11/2 ... dates.aspx
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

UAlbany men’s lacrosse head coach Scott Marr
believes the Great Danes will open their 2021
season on Feb. 27 against Drexel
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=2481
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Thanks for sharing the link, this is from the article:

Earlier this month, Yale baseball alumnus and current Miami Hurricane player Benny Wanger ’19 voiced frustration with the Ivy League’s decision-making process on Twitter: “Hey @IvyLeague — when are you going to let your Spring athletes know if there’s going to be a season? Or do you plan on leaving your athletes out to dry again this year?” the first of a series of tweets read. He went on to add that he has spoken with Ivy spring athletes who plan on withdrawing if there is no competition this spring but remain “in limbo” with no final decision.

Wagner's final sentence sums it up, "spring athletes plan on withdrawing" I feel this is the goal of the Ivies, to eliminate student athletes and athletics all together. For the most part the athletes are taking up academic spots from more "qualified" students (not my view, but the administrations view.)
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

TNLAX wrote:I feel this is the goal of the Ivies, to eliminate student athletes and athletics all together. For the most part the athletes are taking up academic spots from more "qualified" students (not my view, but the administrations view.)
This based on anything? Or just a theory.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:33 pm
TNLAX wrote:I feel this is the goal of the Ivies, to eliminate student athletes and athletics all together. For the most part the athletes are taking up academic spots from more "qualified" students (not my view, but the administrations view.)
It's pretty easy to see the evidence and come to that conclusion. The Ivie's don't live in a different world than all of the other college conferences in which they have played sports in the fall, are playing sports in the winter, etc. If they TRULY do care about athletics, they are only hurting themselves. There are no guarantees in life and it looks like they are looking for some sort of "guarantee " that doesn't exist in order to authorize a spring season. Pretty ridiculous, liability or not.

Joe
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If the Ivy doesn't play but everyone else does it would set the league back years. Possibly permanently. You'd see another mass exodus of transfers, recruits switching commitments, coaches leaving. They'd struggle to recruit top players moving forward. The prospect of an elite education/job placement will still be attractive to many but the uncertainty surrounding the schools' commitment to athletics will linger, and could be enough to prevent otherwise would-be Ivy players from even considering those schools over comparable institutions in the Big Ten, ACC, Big East, Patriot, etc.

Perhaps that'll turn out to be hyperbole but, I don't know, I could really see it quickly turning into a yearslong disaster. I sincerely hope they end up having a season, even if it's a very abbreviated one. College lax is far better off with those teams playing and playing well. Just get a season—any kind of season—in the books.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:50 pm If the Ivy doesn't play but everyone else does it would set the league back years. Possibly permanently. You'd see another mass exodus of transfers, recruits switching commitments, coaches leaving. They'd struggle to recruit top players moving forward. The prospect of an elite education/job placement will still be attractive to many but the uncertainty surrounding the schools' commitment to athletics will linger, and could be enough to prevent otherwise would-be Ivy players from even considering those schools over comparable institutions in the Big Ten, ACC, Big East, Patriot, etc.

Perhaps that'll turn out to be hyperbole but, I don't know, I could really see it quickly turning into a yearslong disaster. I sincerely hope they end up having a season, even if it's a very abbreviated one. College lax is far better off with those teams playing and playing well. Just get a season—any kind of season—in the books.
Yes, I think you're right. In lacrosse, the Ivy cannot afford to be the only D1 conference to opt out of a 2021 season. The Ivy has always maintained more tilt toward the "student" in student/athlete than other conferences, and recruits should have been well aware of this going in; but to cancel the lacrosse season completely if other conferences play would be tilting too far away from athletics. Doesn't matter in football, for example, as the Ivy doesn't allow post-season play anyway; but for lacrosse where the IL has been very relevant in D1, it could well set the League seriously back. I hope that everyone has a 2021 season, even if I have to endure the reality that game attendance might be severely limited.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 pm
It's pretty easy to see the evidence and come to that conclusion. The Ivie's don't live in a different world than all of the other college conferences in which they have played sports in the fall, are playing sports in the winter, etc. If they TRULY do care about athletics, they are only hurting themselves. There are no guarantees in life and it looks like they are looking for some sort of "guarantee " that doesn't exist in order to authorize a spring season. Pretty ridiculous, liability or not.

Joe
Based on conversations I have had with a couple of Ivy league coaches whose teams have been eliminated this past year.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:50 pm If the Ivy doesn't play but everyone else does it would set the league back years. Possibly permanently. You'd see another mass exodus of transfers, recruits switching commitments, coaches leaving. They'd struggle to recruit top players moving forward. The prospect of an elite education/job placement will still be attractive to many but the uncertainty surrounding the schools' commitment to athletics will linger, and could be enough to prevent otherwise would-be Ivy players from even considering those schools over comparable institutions in the Big Ten, ACC, Big East, Patriot, etc.

I don't want to inject politics into the sports threads, but - if most leagues end up playing and the Ivy opts out, it is going to give outsiders the impression that the Ivy League values political gestures more than their students.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Marr looks like he’s all but admitting, no Ivies
this year, where if they wanted to stay safe
and local, at least Cornell could have come through,
Marr is hoping that UAlbany will be able to retain
some of the non-conference matchups it was in
the process of lining up, including the Drexel
game, UMass on March 9 and Syracuse on April 9.
He’s not as optimistic about Maryland and three
Ivy League schools the Great Danes were supposed
to play, Cornell, Harvard and Yale.

“We’ve been shut out of a lot of non-conference
stuff,” Marr said on Thursday. “Right now, I think
you can count on the seven normal America East
games and maybe adding two more to make it nine, playing two teams twice. We’ll see how that works
out. We have a call on Monday to try to finalize on that.”
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=2481
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

TNLAX wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 pm
Joe
Based on conversations I have had with a couple of Ivy league coaches whose teams have been eliminated this past year.
What do all those great Ivy coaches do then,
Andy Shay, all the sweat and tears to build that
new stadium with Reese, build a title team ?

And, did Milliman leave because of perceived
Admin non-support, we know Tierney left for
those reasons ten years ago ?

Is this just a “normal” cycle with the Ivies where
they pull support from athletics, I recall years ago
when following Seaman at Penn and at the
same time Penn football and basketball had been
on upswings, support for athletics dropped off ?
calourie

Post by calourie »

HooDat wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:10 pm

I don't want to inject politics into the sports threads, but - if most leagues end up playing and the Ivy opts out, it is going to give outsiders the impression that the Ivy League values political gestures more than their students.
I see the upcoming Ivy decision as far more of a social responsibility issue than a political one, particularly now that Biden will be assuming the reins of POTUS. My two cents intuition tells me that the trends in cases and deaths combined with the rate of roll out of vaccines between now and mid-February will be a strong determinant in the Ivy decision to proceed with spring sports or not. A meaningful trend in a positive direction on those three fronts may well give the Ivy presidents the cover they need to allow a limited conference only season. Barring those improvements I don't see the Ivies condoning continuing behavior that might lead to the accelerated deaths of tens of thousands of the American elderly that is presently occurring as a result of our current activities across the board. I say this fully realizing that Covid hardly affects the mortality rate of the young athletes currently engaged in interscholastic collegiate sports, but the virus's spread to the vulnerable is undeniably aided by the gatherings and interactions these activities demand. Just ask coach K.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Joe
What do all those great Ivy coaches do then,
Andy Shay, all the sweat and tears to build that
new stadium with Reese, build a title team ?

And, did Milliman leave because of perceived
Admin non-support, we know Tierney left for
those reasons ten years ago ?

Is this just a “normal” cycle with the Ivies where
they pull support from athletics, I recall years ago
when following Seaman at Penn and at the
same time Penn football and basketball had been
on upswings, support for athletics dropped off ?
There are issues specific to what individual Ivy schools have chosen to do, and then there are issues on which the Ivy League as a conference makes decisions. For example, Tierney got less administrative support, but during the same time frame Shay got more administrative support; it wasn't the League itself dictating to Princeton and Yale what to do. There is nothing "normal" about the current situation or cycle: it stems from a once-in-a-century phenomenon, the coronavirus pandemic. No, the Ivies don't live in another world from other conferences, but the IL prides itself on academics first, athletics (along with everything else) second; maybe that means the conference doesn't "TRULY" care about athletics, but now we're edging into semantics.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Let’s stick to schedule news on this thread.

Debate over Covid-19 to this thread
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=2117&start=1020
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:53 am Let’s stick to schedule news on this thread.

Yep
Delaying a final determination allows the possibility
of conditions sufficiently improving, said the letter,
obtained by Inside Lacrosse
Looks like an official Ivy communication leaves the
door open, slightly,

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... play/57158
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:25 am
AreaLax wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:53 am Let’s stick to schedule news on this thread.

Yep
Delaying a final determination allows the possibility
of conditions sufficiently improving, said the letter,
obtained by Inside Lacrosse
Looks like an official Ivy communication leaves the
door open, slightly,

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... play/57158
Let's hope so, but they are smarter than everyone, just ask them. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For obvious reasons, moved several posts from here to the "All Things Coronavirus" thread within the POLITICS Forum.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Joe
This is downright silly. And always interesting to see those who aren't Ivy alums tell us what Ivy administrations think. :roll:

What D1 schools have the most athletic teams, most total athletes, much less highest percentage of their student bodies that are athletes? Yup, it ain't Alabama...or Penn State or...Syracuse or...

What the Ivies don't emphasize is athletics for money.

Nor do they consider athletes 'special' relative to other students, no special consideration.

Nor are they going to ignore their social responsibility specifically for athletes.

I do agree that it would be a shame if the Ivies can't figure out a way to have some sort of spring season for their teams, but if they're not bringing all four classes back to campus, they're not going to be able to field full teams...I don't see them treating the athletes differently than the rest of the students.

It's going to need a decision to bring all four classes back to campus...IMO.

The other thing that makes me chuckle is the wishful thinking of those who think that their decision to not play another season would significantly impact their success over the longer term...athletes don't choose these schools because they think they are the easiest schools to get into that play top flight D1 ball, the highest probability of post season play, a national championship...they go there because they're the hardest to get into, the most challenging, yet play top flight ball...that's not going to change because there's no Ivy in post season play this year.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:50 pm

Joe
This is downright silly. And always interesting to see those who aren't Ivy alums tell us what Ivy administrations think. :roll:

What D1 schools have the most athletic teams, most total athletes, much less highest percentage of their student bodies that are athletes? Yup, it ain't Alabama...or Penn State or...Syracuse or...

What the Ivies don't emphasize is athletics for money.

Nor do they consider athletes 'special' relative to other students, no special consideration.

Nor are they going to ignore their social responsibility specifically for athletes.

I do agree that it would be a shame if the Ivies can't figure out a way to have some sort of spring season for their teams, but if they're not bringing all four classes back to campus, they're not going to be able to field full teams...I don't see them treating the athletes differently than the rest of the students.

It's going to need a decision to bring all four classes back to campus...IMO.

The other thing that makes me chuckle is the wishful thinking of those who think that their decision to not play another season would significantly impact their success over the longer term...athletes don't choose these schools because they think they are the easiest schools to get into that play top flight D1 ball, the highest probability of post season play, a national championship...they go there because they're the hardest to get into, the most challenging, yet play top flight ball...that's not going to change because there's no Ivy in post season play this year.
excellant points

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”