Racism and Elite Prep Schools

General Chatter
Matnum PI

Racism and Elite Prep Schools

Post by Matnum PI »

I am purposely not put this in the Politics forum. My interest is "Racism and Elite Prep schools" (which happen to well represented within our HS Lacrosse World), not politics. This question was posted to an "Elite Boarding School" who is looking to, so to speak, do the right thing.

------

A large part of the racism and bigotry that we see in America comes as a direct result of one group of people believing that another group of people are less-than they are. This is especially common with relation to the wealthiest people in America towards the poorer. The belief that they are so wealthy because they are smarter, harder-working, and, in small measure but still relevant, just-more-blessed than others. When, in reality, the overwhelming reason why so many wealthy people are wealthy is... Their parents are wealthy. And, as the wealthy moved through life, their parents' friends, their friends, their classmates, and most everyone they knew were wealthy. They may have a maid, a classmate who is a scholarship student, or otherwise who is poor. But the vast majority of this person's world is wealthy. In some cases, this person's world is extraordinarily wealthy. And, as a consequence, their relationship with schools, corporate America, the judicial system, etc. is dramatically different than the relationship between these entities and the poor. Not because the poor are inherently dumber, lazier, or otherwise. Simply because the poor don't have a father who, metaphorically, has a roommate from Middlebury who can help.

XYZ Prep is open to all students who can pay over $60,000 annually for this education. Even with scholarships, this is an extraordinary amount of money. With a price tag this size, XYZ seems to have a clearly defined filter system for incoming students. A filtering system that lends a new meaning when XYZ is called "an elite high school". While XYZ wants to be seen as elite in that it accepts and nurtures the world's best and brightest students, with this price tag, this looks much more like XYZ accepting and nurturing the world's best and brightest wealthy students. Which, for obvious reasons, is a very different proposition. Especially when our nation is so heavily divided by race coupled with economic class.

My question is, How does XYZ reconcile fighting racism, which is heavily correlated with class-ism, and working towards creating a non-divided nation, with XYZ continuing to be "an elite high school"? An elite high school with an elite alumni network.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Re: Racism and Elite Prep Schools

Post by youthathletics »

How are you basing that Elite school XYZ is indeed racist?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I don't think the author is calling the school racist. He's calling it elite (elitist) and how that speaks to racism.
Caddy Day
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Not because the poor are inherently dumber, lazier, or otherwise. Simply because the poor don't have a father who, metaphorically, has a roommate from Middlebury who can help.
I learned some things from my late wife, a middle school teacher, when she attended a special learning session after school about how different families of differing "economic classes" dealth with their children. Biggest distinction for those at the top was the importance of connection to others in power. So your kid does not get pushed to be the absolute top of the class (that seems to be more a "middle" class characteristic), but to do well enough to get that degree, say, and then the parents connections will help secure the good job in the good firm in a good city...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I look at so many of my friends who have lived "privileged lives" who, so to speak, did everything wrong (including, though short stints, jail time) and... they live charmed lives. For some people, it's literally all but impossible to lose. While, for others, even one mis-step throws their lives into a very different trajectory. It's this reality that leaves me scratching my head about how the elite schools are BLM-friendly when it seems to me that the elite-ness of these schools is in direct conflict with BLM.
Caddy Day
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Too often our definition of success revolves around money. Big difference between, rich and wealth.

The grass is often greener, only because it is over a septic drain field.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

My question is, How does XYZ reconcile fighting racism, which is heavily correlated with class-ism, and working towards creating a non-divided nation, with XYZ continuing to be "an elite high school"?
if the question is how to combat racism, i think we shouldnt use the problem to solve the problem.

and isnt that exactly what D&I counsels do; discriminate based on your color. (AA too?)

in other words, as long as we use racism to fight racism, we are always going to have a divided country.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:05 pm if the question is how to combat racism, i think we shouldnt use the problem to solve the problem.
I think the question is, How do you create and nourish an elite school and simultaneously combat racism? I think these two endeavors are directly in conflict with each other.
Caddy Day
ChairmanOfTheBoard

well i fail to see how you can remain "elite" if you're discriminating based on color. but that's my value judgment on what is elite.

of course, elite schools were exposed during the scandal, and now that covid is here, maybe are again being questioned for value.

i don't have a solution for the problem. i just think the solution that uses the problem to solve the problem won't work. https://www.oyez.org/cases/1979/76-811
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm well i fail to see how you can remain "elite" if you're discriminating based on color. but that's my value judgment on what is elite.

of course, elite schools were exposed during the scandal, and now that covid is here, maybe are again being questioned for value.

i don't have a solution for the problem. i just think the solution that uses the problem to solve the problem won't work. https://www.oyez.org/cases/1979/76-811
and look at the timing on this post above... https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice- ... ergraduate
Justice Department Finds Yale Illegally Discriminates Against Asians and Whites in Undergraduate Admissions in Violation of Federal Civil-Rights Laws

“There is no such thing as a nice form of race discrimination,” said Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband for the Civil Rights Division. “Unlawfully dividing Americans into racial and ethnic blocs fosters stereotypes, bitterness, and division. It is past time for American institutions to recognize that all people should be treated with decency and respect and without unlawful regard to the color of their skin."

The Department of Justice found Yale discriminates based on race and national origin in its undergraduate admissions process, and that race is the determinative factor in hundreds of admissions decisions each year. For the great majority of applicants, Asian Americans and whites have only one-tenth to one-fourth of the likelihood of admission as African American applicants with comparable academic credentials. Yale rejects scores of Asian American and white applicants each year based on their race, whom it otherwise would admit.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Quite a powerful story concerning the topic:

https://vimeo.com/293437218?fbclid=IwAR ... GdpX3ctL4A
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Very cool Anderson, thanks for sharing.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”