Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by stupefied »

Why not make a run at Shay . I could see him considering after a look forward given the latest . He's familiar with the academic and player profile, a healthy Epstein returns with some good incoming recruiting classes (thanks to Petro) and he might bring Moriill and perhaps another good Bulldog along to boot. JHU offers upside from a low point vs perhaps some stagnation in the near future at Yale. Good coaches are not only good at coaching but good at picking their spots.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Why not make a run at Shay . I could see him considering after a look forward given the latest . He's familiar with the academic and player profile, a healthy Epstein returns with some good incoming recruiting classes (thanks to Petro) and he might bring Moriill and perhaps another good Bulldog along to boot. JHU offers upside from a low point vs perhaps some stagnation in the near future at Yale. Good coaches are not only good at coaching but good at picking their spots.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:41 pm
steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:28 pm Like you, I am sort of surprised they pulled the trigger given the current national pandemic but it had to happen. The mutually parted ways part likely means there was a discussion on a contract extension. And this is just a guess on my end that Hopkins wanted 1 year and DP wanted more and Hopkins just wasn't going to go that way.
This is not the time when you want to be caught without a head coach. This pretty much takes us out of the running for impact transfers at a time when the transfer pool is as deep and talented as it will ever b e. Nobody is going to come here without knowing who the coach is. And without a coach, there's nobody even to persuade them to come here. I had heard we were very, very much in the running for the St. Joe's goalie. Can kiss that goodbye now.

Just for the love of god don't let Epstein go, please.
How many transfers did we get last year?
I agree that Epstein is the future of the program and we all hope he stays.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Think Shay got a good look from UVA in 2016 but opted to extend at Yale instead. Worked out well for both parties. Maybe Shay can be persuaded now that he’s won it all. He’d be my #1 target.
stupefied wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:45 pm Why not make a run at Shay . I could see him considering after a look forward given the latest . He's familiar with the academic and player profile, a healthy Epstein returns with some good incoming recruiting classes (thanks to Petro) and he might bring Moriill and perhaps another good Bulldog along to boot. JHU offers upside from a low point vs perhaps some stagnation in the near future at Yale. Good coaches are not only good at coaching but good at picking their spots.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:49 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm
It aint over yet wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 pm Albany's coach Scott Marr alum class of 90 Son play at Hopkins That angle goes well with many alumni right? Marr has done a great job turning Albany into a vey good program Few great years n there
He runs a very different program up at Albany. I wonder how his style would mesh at the more conservative JHU.
The styles at each school are what they are because of the coaches. Albany doesn't have a style of lacrosse. Scott Marr does. If JHU hired him, he'd bring it with him. That would be the whole point of hiring a guy like him. JHU only has a reputation for being conservative on the field because that's how Petro's teams have played lately. There is nothing inherent about the school that demands its teams play like that forever.
+1
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Sting The Corner wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:52 pm Think Shay got a good look from UVA in 2016 but opted to extend at Yale instead. Worked out well for both parties. Maybe Shay can be persuaded now that he’s won it all. He’d be my #1 target.
stupefied wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:45 pm Why not make a run at Shay . I could see him considering after a look forward given the latest . He's familiar with the academic and player profile, a healthy Epstein returns with some good incoming recruiting classes (thanks to Petro) and he might bring Moriill and perhaps another good Bulldog along to boot. JHU offers upside from a low point vs perhaps some stagnation in the near future at Yale. Good coaches are not only good at coaching but good at picking their spots.
Andy Shay isn't going anywhere unless it is big $$$$$$$$ in a long term deal and even then not likely. He has an ideal situation in New Haven espcailly now with getting his kids admitted. Hopkins is not going to shell out big $$$$$ on a new coach anyway
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:43 pm Maybe, I can start filming again. Really tired of the paranoia in the last 16 months of the Petro era.
Wombat’s LIKE Button
Wombat’s LIKE Button
1A252FED-BCF5-4480-850E-149E9D5B7DE8.jpeg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:08 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:49 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm
It aint over yet wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 pm Albany's coach Scott Marr alum class of 90 Son play at Hopkins That angle goes well with many alumni right? Marr has done a great job turning Albany into a vey good program Few great years n there
He runs a very different program up at Albany. I wonder how his style would mesh at the more conservative JHU.
The styles at each school are what they are because of the coaches. Albany doesn't have a style of lacrosse. Scott Marr does. If JHU hired him, he'd bring it with him. That would be the whole point of hiring a guy like him. JHU only has a reputation for being conservative on the field because that's how Petro's teams have played lately. There is nothing inherent about the school that demands its teams play like that forever.
+1
+2

Wasn't much conservative about the team when Seaman was the coach. Those teams barely saw a shot they didn't like.
DocBarrister

Thank you, Coach Pietramala

Post by DocBarrister »

One of the greatest lacrosse players of all time.

One of the greatest lacrosse coaches of all time.

Dave Pietramala will always be a Legend of Johns Hopkins Lacrosse.

Some absolutely great memories from both his playing and coaching days.

Thank you for everything, Coach.

Looking forward to watching where your career takes you.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I guess I could see Shay wanting the challenge, but other than that, despite the tradition at Hopkins, it's not exactly a step up.

I enjoy Marr's style at Albany, but it's not a winning style. Players who want to win transfer to Yale.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

“Cole Williams has entered the transfer portal, multiple sources confirmed. He led the Blue Jays with 17 points in the shortened season.”

According to Inside Lacrosse.
viper

Post by viper »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:21 pm
viper wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 pm
nyjay wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm It had to happen. Might be painful for a while, but it just couldn't keep going on like this. Next year will be new and different. Really ready to start over. Hopefully, we go directly to Doug Pederson and can skip the Chip Kelly phase. Onwards.
I would say the jury is still out on Pederson - though he is definitely a step up from Kelly.
Ah, what are you talking about. He's made the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years he was the head coach and he's won a Super Bowl. Not sure what jury you are on.
The jury that recognizes the state of the NFC East the last few years. 9-7 the last two years, playing in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL (4 wins both years against Redskins and Giants makes them 5-7 against the rest of the league). Any other division and they would be lucky to amass enough wins be a wild card team.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:09 pm
Sting The Corner wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:52 pm Think Shay got a good look from UVA in 2016 but opted to extend at Yale instead. Worked out well for both parties. Maybe Shay can be persuaded now that he’s won it all. He’d be my #1 target.
Andy Shay isn't going anywhere unless it is big $$$$$$$$ in a long term deal and even then not likely. He has an ideal situation in New Haven espcailly now with getting his kids admitted. Hopkins is not going to shell out big $$$$$ on a new coach anyway
Shay is indeed in an ideal situation. He leveraged UVA's hard charge into a big commitment from Yale. Not for nothing, they also don't give coaches a hard time there, either.

I'd think Murphy would be a more likely target out of the Ivies.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I like Murphy, and he could bring the team with him.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:50 pm Alums
Marr
Tierney
Conry
Nadelen
Raymond

Ivy
Murphy
Shay
Would love some of what you guys are smoking.

At this point in time, I don't see Hop as a better job for any of them. Maybe Raymond, but only for the $$. Don't you think all the alums know that the current admin's feelings about Petro would extend to them? None of them will even get a call.

It's HOUSE CLEANING time, and you don't bring let the dog track mud back in right after you've finished.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Everyone needs to be prepared for current guys leaving and recruits decommitting. Part of the territory. Petro was hugely admired and respected by virtually everyone in the lacrosse community, including and especially many of his current players. There are tributes all over social media.

Even if they knock the hiring out of the park, the next few years could be rough. Even in an ideal scenario it would take a new regime some time to sort things out but right now, with so much uncertainty in the sport, it's going to be tough not having a staff in place. One of the first orders of business needs to be hiring someone who not only gets Epstein et al to reaffirm their status in the program but also can convince the majority of the incoming class to honor their commitments. I believe now that Petro is out, they've been released from their NLIs.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:29 pm
Kismet wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:09 pm
Shay is indeed in an ideal situation. He leveraged UVA's hard charge into a big commitment from Yale. Not for nothing, they also don't give coaches a hard time there, either.
Yep. After they won the title, the Yale Prez called him on his cell phone while he was being interviewed on TV. The Yale FB coach does not even get that kind of treatment.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

End of an era. Thanks to Petro for everything he's given to JHU as a player and coach.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:34 pm I believe now that Petro is out, they've been released from their NLIs.
That's not automatic, is it? It didn't used to be. NLIs were with schools, NOT coaches.
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:34 pm Everyone needs to be prepared for current guys leaving and recruits decommitting. Part of the territory. Petro was hugely admired and respected by virtually everyone in the lacrosse community, including and especially many of his current players. There are tributes all over social media.

Even if they knock the hiring out of the park, the next few years could be rough. Even in an ideal scenario it would take a new regime some time to sort things out but right now, with so much uncertainty in the sport, it's going to be tough not having a staff in place. One of the first orders of business needs to be hiring someone who not only gets Epstein et al to reaffirm their status in the program but also can convince the majority of the incoming class to honor their commitments. I believe now that Petro is out, they've been released from their NLIs.

You are Not released from your NLI due to a change in coaches. You sign with the institution not the coach. If one was signed, you must apply for and be granted a release.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”