Ramifications Extra Year of Eligibility

D1 Mens Lacrosse
njfanlax

Re: Ramifications Extra Year of Eligibility

Post by njfanlax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 am
smoova wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:01 pm
njfanlax wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:08 pm If your projection of 50% of seniors staying or transferring is anywhere close to being the number for the next 4 years, that’s going to put a lot of downward pressure on the underclassmen and will probably kill the HS 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes.
Which classes just lost an entire year of HS lacrosse. Utter lack of backbone and foresight by the NCAA to punt this issue to the schools ... but par for the course.
Allowing another year of eligibility helped lax/sports coaches, not the students, necessarily.

Coaches will have an influx of talent and kids they can finagle/maneuver to stick around/redshirt etc.

By and large, It’s the students who will be negatively hurt on this and have to navigate/negotiate the mess, from a position of weakness.

And as always, the NCAA just cared about itself, and the long line of paperwork this was going to cause them if they didn’t issue a blanket waiver. This was the “easy button” answer for them. Secondary consequences be damned.
I think the NCAA decision specifically helps the coaches from elite teams from large schools and the elite players who will be coveted by many programs to take advantage of their 5th year. The resulting competitive imbalance hurts the other coaches. The 5th year players hurt the other college players who don't get to play the extra year. They lose out on playing time and potential scholarship money. Another poster suggests that coaches will be more aggressive in cutting underperforming college players. It also hurts the high school students.
Last edited by njfanlax on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well if a school keeps its own kids and adds 2-3 that they expect to start I’ll be interested to see if they can manage the roster cleanly. HC job is largely Management anyways, so will be interesting to see who’s good at their core function if they displace 2-3 starters with people just off the bus from other places. Could blow up in one or more of their faces as well and create a 3-5yr downswing (I’m not saying from top 5 to lower half of MAAC, but maybe from being 3-8 to running lower area of ranked or even dropping out).

Could be good for Petro to go on a shopping spree.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
WildPride

Post by WildPride »

njfanlax wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:37 pm I haven't heard of talk of cutting underperforming college players to balance the roster size. Is that a realistic possibility?
Under normal circumstances, how often are non-scholarship college players cut from the team?
That's why HS players need to do their homework when they are looking at schools/programs. For example, Villanova typically carries a roster of 40-42 and brings in a class of 10. They take maybe one grad transfer a year. They don't cut players. No player is overlooked. Every player is given an opportunity to contribute. Whether they develop into a contributing player is up to them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The prior post was brought to you by the friends of Coach Corrado PAC....
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:34 am Well if a school keeps its own kids and adds 2-3 that they expect to start I’ll be interested to see if they can manage the roster cleanly. HC job is largely Management anyways, so will be interesting to see who’s good at their core function if they displace 2-3 starters with people just off the bus from other places. Could blow up in one or more of their faces as well and create a 3-5yr downswing (I’m not saying from top 5 to lower half of MAAC, but maybe from being 3-8 to running lower area of ranked or even dropping out).

Could be good for Petro to go on a shopping spree.
....only to fill the Fridge with exoctic cheezes, dried meats.......and nevah using them, or they go bad...is in, don't improve. Such a waste of good prosecco and zibello
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I can't imagine a top type kid would use a 5th year at hop and not be at least a second line mid or otherwise starter. What's the point unless they want to get a graduate degree in a STEM field which I would imagine is tough to accomplish for most.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

njfanlax wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:27 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 am
smoova wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:01 pm
njfanlax wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:08 pm If your projection of 50% of seniors staying or transferring is anywhere close to being the number for the next 4 years, that’s going to put a lot of downward pressure on the underclassmen and will probably kill the HS 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes.
Which classes just lost an entire year of HS lacrosse. Utter lack of backbone and foresight by the NCAA to punt this issue to the schools ... but par for the course.
Allowing another year of eligibility helped lax/sports coaches, not the students, necessarily.

Coaches will have an influx of talent and kids they can finagle/maneuver to stick around/redshirt etc.

By and large, It’s the students who will be negatively hurt on this and have to navigate/negotiate the mess, from a position of weakness.

And as always, the NCAA just cared about itself, and the long line of paperwork this was going to cause them if they didn’t issue a blanket waiver. This was the “easy button” answer for them. Secondary consequences be damned.
I think the NCAA decision specifically helps the coaches from elite teams from large schools and the elite players who will be coveted by many programs to take advantage of their 5th year. The resulting competitive imbalance hurts the other coaches. The 5th year players hurt the other college players don't get to play the extra year. They lose out on playing time and potential scholarship money. Another poster suggests that coaches will be more aggressive in cutting underperforming college players. It also hurts the high school students.
Agree mostly. As I posted earlier, lots of talent will move away from those top D1 programs looking for more time and better opportunities, earlier in their careers. There will be a trickle down at all levels and the sport will see some more parity in a couple years. Book on it.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

Where I live, the local state university announced yesterday that all campuses will remain closed until at least August 14th.
"There will be no in-person classes, programs, camps, conferences or other activities... Football training camp typically opens in late July or early August. The men’s and women’s soccer, field hockey and volleyball seasons typically begin in the last week of August, with football kicking off a few days later."

In other news today, the school president for the same university reports that $150 million dollar impact (from COVID-19 related costs and losses in income) in the current quarter is "probably conservative."

It's probably reasonable to assume now that the NCAA fall season including college football will at least be adversely affected.
That school's football revenue is $25 million/yr. Several schools in its conference have average football revenues over $100 million/yr.

Returning to the theme of "ramifications extra year of eligibility," if the NCAA is also forced to cancel the fall sports season, it may really regret setting the precedent of giving ALL of the spring athletes an extra year of eligibility.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

njfanlax wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:53 pm Where I live, the local state university announced yesterday that all campuses will remain closed until at least August 14th.
"There will be no in-person classes, programs, camps, conferences or other activities... Football training camp typically opens in late July or early August. The men’s and women’s soccer, field hockey and volleyball seasons typically begin in the last week of August, with football kicking off a few days later."

In other news today, the school president for the same university reports that $150 million dollar impact (from COVID-19 related costs and losses in income) in the current quarter is "probably conservative."

It's probably reasonable to assume now that the NCAA fall season including college football will at least be adversely affected.
That school's football revenue is $25 million/yr. Several schools in its conference have average football revenues over $100 million/yr.

Returning to the theme of "ramifications extra year of eligibility," if the NCAA is also forced to cancel the fall sports season, it may really regret setting the precedent of giving ALL of the spring athletes an extra year of eligibility.
Wow, put's everything in perspective. A great post but very sobering. Your last sentence is something I don't think anyone has even thought of.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

njfanlax wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:53 pm Where I live, the local state university announced yesterday that all campuses will remain closed until at least August 14th.

Exactly what I was getting in one of my previous posts in this thread. Everyone is looking at lacrosse or spring specific saying its easy to to just give the season back to them, but its extremely short cited. I know we are are lax parents, players, or fans on here, but this is some of the things coaches were talking about in the interviews that we may have not wanted to hea.

They lost the BBall money, if they lose football money college athletics is completely changed as we know it. What do you think funds lacrosse (and other "olympic" sports) at many schools. Extending circumstances could lead to cuts that we don't want to think about right now.

I think this whole thing has taught us there is more to life than 1/2 a season of lacrosse
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

Just a view of how the college baseball world is affected by the NCAA ruling.
It looks like they might have it worse than lacrosse.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/02/c ... -mlb-draft
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Plenty of teams need players, maybe not at the DI level but i have seen schools shut down programs because they do not have enough players. If kids want to play there will be places.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

hooligan88 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:10 pm Plenty of teams need players, maybe not at the DI level but i have seen schools shut down programs because they do not have enough players. If kids want to play there will be places.
You can't have sports programs if the schools can't afford it anymore or if the schools themselves shut down.

"...the economic uncertainty now piled onto the industry could cause several hundred small, tuition dependent privates to close, according to industry experts. If the average small private school has an annual budget of $50 million, multiplying that by a conservative projection of 200 schools, the total loss to the industry is projected to be $10 billion.

If 90% of those schools have athletics programs and each school averages 18 sports (and about 500 participation opportunities per school), as well as 25 full- and part-time employees, the losses to the college athletic industry may approach:

180 schools x 18 sports = 3,240 sports programs lost;
180 schools x 500 athletes per school = 90,000 athletic opportunities lost;
180 schools x 25 employees = 4,500 jobs lost"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karenweave ... f67bfd965a

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/edu ... 889546001/
tech37

Post by tech37 »

thetruth

Post by thetruth »

This is huge news and could be the start of a more significant trend. Big time D1 ahtletic program rejecting another year of eligibility for spring athletes.
https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/ ... 2eea4.html
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For some reason this was accidentally saved and I didn't see any intuitive or obvious way to post and at this moment wasn't going to read through all FAQs to figure it out so forgive the formatting but the punchline is it would've been interesting to see a Bertrand/Delpha matchup as former HS teammates and with Delpha having pretty impressive resume as Juco DPOY at a school that produces regular AAs for Syracuse annually, so on a similar level as a 2x D2 champ except no older kids.
tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 am Charlie Bertrand:

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2020/04 ... e-get.html
In hindsight one thing we missed which would've been interesting is the Hobart-Mack game this year. A defensive player never with national POY, but Hobart had a senior who transferred after two years from OCC, PJ Delpha, who was a teammate of Bertrand and was impressive in Juco as DPOY and also played HS at Baldwinsville as a teammate of Bertrand.

From Delpha's Hobart Bio:

2019: Started all 16 games ... Finished the season with 16 ground balls and a team-high 13 caused turnovers ... Notched at least one caused turnover in each of the first seven games of the season ... Recorded a season-high four ground balls and a season-high three caused turnovers in the win at Binghamton ... Posted two ground balls and two caused turnovers against nationally-ranked Cornell ... Also caused two turnovers in the win over St. Bonaventure.

Onondaga Community College: Coached by former Hobart attackman Chuck Wilbur '99 ... Helped the Lazers win back-to-back NJCAA National Championships ... Two-time NJCAA All-American ... 2018 NJCAA Defensive Player of the Year ... Region 3 Male Student-Athlete of the Year ... Earned NJCAA National All-Academic honors ... Appeared in 26 career games, starting 18 ... Produced five goals, two assists, 24 ground balls and nine caused turnovers.

Baldwinsville High School: Coached by Matt Wilcox ... Two-year varsity letter winner ... Played close defense ... Produced 13 goals and four assists ... Two-time first team all-league and All-CNY selection ... Also played basketball for the Bees.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”