Extra year granted

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxfan22

Re: Extra year granted

Post by laxfan22 »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm I was talking with Larry yesterday, and he raised an issue I hadn't thought of: individual career records. If a fifth year is granted, how will records be calculated? Seems unfair to allow 4.5 years of stats to count. So what do you do? Not count 2020 if the player takes a fifth year, either next year or down the line? Count if if they don't? Don't know.
What is done when a kid gets a medical redshirt year? There have been situations where a player has had more than four years in the past (although 2020 is well beyond a typical redshirt season, i believe)
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

laxfan22 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:08 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm I was talking with Larry yesterday, and he raised an issue I hadn't thought of: individual career records. If a fifth year is granted, how will records be calculated? Seems unfair to allow 4.5 years of stats to count. So what do you do? Not count 2020 if the player takes a fifth year, either next year or down the line? Count if if they don't? Don't know.
What is done when a kid gets a medical redshirt year? There have been situations where a player has had more than four years in the past (although 2020 is well beyond a typical redshirt season, i believe)
Career is a career. If somebody played 5 or 6 games, blew their knee out and got an extra redshirt year, stats still count. This would be no different.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I think all stats have to be looked at with a discriminating eye. We don't attribute the same value to Kylie Ohlmiller's career stats the way we value Megan Whittle's or Kayla Treanor's. Games that it took a player to amass their stats have to be factored in. Babe Ruth's 61 home runs are more valuable than Roger Maris's 62 because George hit his home runs in fewer games than Roger did.
njbill

Post by njbill »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:13 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:08 pm
Career is a career. If somebody played 5 or 6 games, blew their knee out and got an extra redshirt year, stats still count. This would be no different.
I think this is different than redshirt or baseball. That is just my feeling. Add to that you already have some fifth year redshirts playing this year who may get a sixth year. My view is the NCAA should set a policy on this. If, say, UNC wants to allow Hoeg to keep her UNC record and add to it next year, I guess that is up to them.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Cletus wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 pm
I think all stats have to be looked at with a discriminating eye. We don't attribute the same value to Kylie Ohlmiller's career stats the way we value Megan Whittle's or Kayla Treanor's. Games that it took a player to amass their stats have to be factored in. Babe Ruth's 61 home runs are more valuable than Roger Maris's 62 because George hit his home runs in fewer games than Roger did.
Babe Ruth's 61? :lol:
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm
Make that Herman's 60. Always get that mixed up.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm
Bond's 73!! :shock:

Make that Herman's 60. Always get that mixed up.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

NJ you bring up a valid point. One of my pet peeve's was HS players or got an "extra" year of HS by transferring and set records.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:38 pm NJ you bring up a valid point. One of my pet peeve's was HS players or got an "extra" year of HS by transferring and set records.
Or how about kids that start to play Varsity in 7th grade when other states maintain 9-12?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Just was going to mention that, Doc. There's a reason a lot of HS records come from NY. You can score a lot more goals in six years, than four.

P.S. Watched a HS game from 2017 the other day, Moorestown vs. Garden City at the Gains for Brains tourney. Saw your current Hound goalie in action.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:30 pm Just was going to mention that, Doc. There's a reason a lot of HS records come from NY. You can score a lot more goals in six years, than four.

P.S. Watched a HS game from 2017 the other day, Moorestown vs. Garden City at the Gains for Brains tourney. Saw your current Hound goalie in action.
Doesn’t the current high school record holder in points reside in Florida?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Hmm. Don't know. If true, that would blow my theory, wouldn't it?

I am sure totc would know.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:30 pm Just was going to mention that, Doc. There's a reason a lot of HS records come from NY. You can score a lot more goals in six years, than four.

Doesn’t the current high school record holder in points reside in Florida?
I think so...lots of hype surrounding who I am thinking of....
njbill

Post by njbill »

The Florida reference jogged a vague recollection from some years back. I used to follow Florida HS more closely than I do now. I thought I remembered that Florida allowed middle schoolers (only 8th graders?) to play varsity sports, or at least did so in the past. Couldn't find anything on a quick search.

Quite sure totc will have our answer. Sending out the bat signal . . . .
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

D said there is a tweet out there saying the one year has been approved by the NCAA.

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/stat ... 5591688192

and this

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/stat ... 6283640834

and this more official tweet.

https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/1244759602438254592

which leads to this page

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... d-covid-19
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

breathes a sigh of relief...now will be interesting to see what Ivies & Patriot League does
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:07 pm breathes a sigh of relief...now will be interesting to see what Ivies & Patriot League does
Prevailing assumption is transfers are allowed as well, but several conferences are apparently meeting tomorrow to discuss 5th year and transfers.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

NCAA just ended a lot of college careers of high school kids who wanted to play and would have under normal circumstances - question is, how many - 20%, 40% more?
smoova

Post by smoova »

laxfan22 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm NCAA just ended a lot of college careers of high school kids who wanted to play and would have under normal circumstances - question is, how many - 20%, 40% more?
Unfortunately, this is correct. Tragically myopic decision, but as another poster pointed out several weeks ago, the NCAA is only concerned with current college student athletes.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Interesting to see what decisions the players will make.

Maryland posted a statement on Instagram from Meghan Doherty yesterday saying she has decided not to return. It would have been a 6th year for her though.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”